P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• It looks like most have had a good start image it feels good to have got started with the plan.

I did the 8 mile run last night but I did the tempo 4 miles at more like Marathon Pace because I raced on Sunday and wanted to give my legs a chance to recover. 

I'm aiming for sub 4.15 (would love 4.10 and sub 4? well maybe one day!)

• Feb 17  - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24

April 14 - Tenjiso - Brighton - Sub 4.00 (with a fair wind, etc)

April 21  - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs  - VLM  -Sub 3.00

April 21  -  Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40

April 21  -  15West - VLM - Sub 2.55

April 21 - Pottermiss - VLM - Sub 4.15 (would love a 4.10!)

• Feb 17 - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24

April 14 - jr2408 - Brighton - Sub 4.00

April 21 - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs - VLM -Sub 3.00

April 21 - Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40

April 21 - 15West - VLM - Sub 2.55

• April 21 Surrey Runner - VLM sub 3.00

Can't copy everyone else as on a crapberry.

Did the 11 mile mlr tonight. Felt fine, though yesterday's tempo was tough.
  • I did the 1st day of the schedule tonight, LT run with 4 mile averaging 6.47m/m. My HR was about 87% of max which is higher than I'd have liked but I'm putting that down to 2 things 1) Just getting over a dose of lurgy and 2) the last mile was slightly up hill and into a stiff breeze (I need to plan routes better).

I'm not sure of a target time or even my main target race yet. I'll be running the VLM and then Edinburgh 5 weeks later. I've not got much experience of running* so my targets for both could vary a lot  depending on how my training goes.

* just 1 marathon, 3 halfs, 1 10k and about a dozen Parkruns.

• Feb 17  - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24
    April 14 -  jr2408 - Brighton - Sub 4.00
    April 21  - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs, Surrey Runner  - VLM  -Sub 3.00
    April 21  -  Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40
    April 21  -  15West - VLM - Sub 2.55

• A proper sub 3 train already in the making for the 21st!

• Night Nurse It feels great when runs go like that. These are the ones we need to remember when the bad ones come around.

11 miles done tonight, all very comfortable. Legs feeling it a bit towards the end. Hopefully just the tempo session from yesterday still in them. Up early for run prior to work tomorrow.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Thought I should add myself in to bulk up the over 3hr runners image

Feb 17  - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24
    April 14 - Tenjiso, jr2408 - Brighton - Sub 4.00 
    April 21  -  15West - VLM - Sub 2.55
    April 21  - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs, Surrey Runner  - VLM  -Sub 3.00
    April 21 - Stutyr - VLM - Sub 3:15
    April 21  -  Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Feb 17 - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24

April 21 - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs, Surrey Runner - VLM -Sub 3.00

April 21 - Go Caz VLM Sub 3.50
  • 5 miles recovery this morning. I am travelling most of afternoon/evening, so needed to get run in early.

As well as times we need to find out which start people are going from.

April 21 - No Pain VLM Sub 2:55

Mark1981 my first marathon was 3:52, half way at 1:30 and busted by mile 20 since then 3:27, 3:20, 3:16, 3:11, 3:02, 2:58 this year I got a stress fracture the week before VLM so didn't run but I was a lot fitter than the year before. Break through came with the introduction of double training days and a midweek medium long run. 13.6 miles done yesterday going out now for the first of 2 six mile runs image
  • NP some good times there and continual improvement every year. How fast do you think you can go?

My previous 2 marathons were 3.24 and 3.16 but they were fitted in around triathlon training so this is the first time ill be following a proper programme.

It's a big jump to aim for sub 3 but I think I can get close, I'm hoping by putting in some decent mileage this time with some quicker stuff ill be able to go a lot quicker.

I swapped Tues and Weds runs round so it's 11 miles today, might go for a gentle swim this afternoon then I might have to start Xmas shopping!

Is it too early to start the Xmas binge yet? I've been eating quite a lot of mince pies the last few days, think ill be about 2 stones heavier by January!
  • 5 miles recovery done..this is where things now go pear shaped (training wise) for a few days, travelling to London till sunday to visit son and grandkids..should get a run done but wont get that 15 miler done till monday.

April 21 - No Pain VLM Sub 2:55
    April 21 - Fiona J - VLM - Sub 4:00

I was surprised that the first lactate threshold run wasn't too bad. Spot on for my HM pace too - although however I managed that for 13.1 miles I don't know. It was so wet and windy this morning that I passed on doing the 9 miler so I'll do it tonight. Somehow the wild weather never seems so unappealing when you are already up and about.

• Scooby Dudek the halls with boughs of holly wrote (see)

5 miles recovery this morning. I am travelling most of afternoon/evening, so needed to get run in early.

As well as times we need to find out which start people are going from.

Do you already know where you are going to start?

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Scooby D - I will be at green start.

Night Nurse - my training has also gone pear shaped. Was hoping to do medium long run today but too ill. And that is not something I admit very often! This lurgy seems to be more than a cold. I know it's early days but still annoying!
  • My training is based on the P&D and I hope to take my milage up to 90 miles a week as I have done in the past, if you have to change things about because of other things thats fine. I also try and get in two swims a week as I feel this helps. under 3 hours is possible for more people than you would think if they put in the time and effort and get to the start line feeling fresh and injury free.

6 miles steady run this morning in the heavy rain, i have 5 pairs of wet or muddy trainers/fell shoes on the go at the moment.

GO Caz don't fret at missing runs your better taking the time to get better at this stage.

Night nurse enjoy your trip, some great places to run in Londonimage

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Hi Go Caz how do you know which start you are on?  I thought this info was given to you at the expo, or maybe slightly earlier?  Is this based on past experience?

Just curious as a newbie to VLM.

My plan went slightly awry today - was supposed to be a 10 mile general aerobic run but a late night meant I was too tired this morning.  I'm surprised how much I missed it, as my training has been fairly relaxed and informal this year, so I'm looking forward to running it tomorrow morning instead.  

• I am going to mix the 55/18 and 55-70/18 plans. I am in between the two distance wise and the first few weeks of the 55 are too lacking in mileage for me.  I usually do between 40-50 miles a week, I feel a drop down to early 30's too little.  Any advice against this greatly appreciated though!  I did first run on Tuesday, 8 miles - did 5 at tempo pace though, image those 5 miles were between 7:40 and 7:20.  8 miles was average pace of 7:57 with 3 miles easy included. 

Didn't get into VLM ballot with club (not bothered though as logistically harder) so Manchester it is for me.  Will be aiming for sub 3:45.  Long runs are where I need advice, I have done loads in the past but I think I ran them too fast, especially when my last MRP was 8:57 (3:54) and I ran majority of my 18-22 milers at similar pace.  I think the time on feet is the issue.  I was doing my long runs in 3hr-3hr10 and on the day, running those last 50 minutes of running took their toll.  I do however think the P&D guide for LSR pace is very very slow?  

• Just did my MLR 11 miles, it's amazing what a good nights sleep does. It felt far easier running 11 today than my 5 miles last night.

Averaged 7.45 pace which I was happy with.

Caz whenever I've been forced to take time off from training with illness or injury I always seem to come back feeling fitter, I thinks it's like a mini taper.

Don't worry we've got plenty of time in hand.
  • Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Stutyr, I have a Good for Age place (more due to age than being good, I reckon!) and that is always the green start. Otherwise I think it depends whether you have a ballot or charity place but you probably have to wait until you get your number to find out where you are starting.

No Pain, thank you. I must try not to fret! And I agree that London has some fantastic places to run. (It's a pity the VLM route doesn't really make the most of them - in my view.)
  • Hi all.  I've just completed my 10m GA run on the treadie this morning.  I caught up with marathontalk podcasts during the run.  They made me feel guilty about neglecting sleep image  My pace was 10:20, same as last week.  My heart rate was lower than last week, even though it was 12F degrees warmer.  So that's good image

With Christmas in mind, I'm doing the 5m recovery tomorrow and my LSR on Saturday.  Rest Sunday, then 10m GA will be on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas day.

NN - thanks! I put the kids picture as my avatar, because they are my inspiration and reason for running.  Hope people don't mind this little indulgance.

No Pain - you are now officially elevated to hero status -  great time progression!  Mind you, you have gone a bit wimpy only looking for a three minute improvement next year image  Must be your age.

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Mark - thanks. It seems a bit early for a taper but I do get your point!

HeOw - we have the same marathon time then and a similar aim. I think the P&D long run pace is about right at the upper end (MP + 10%). The lower end (+20%) is pretty slow. But I am happy to stick between the two.
  • I thought gfas started at the red start but near the front? Sure there was a thread about it a few months ago.
  • Apologies if I am getting ahead of myself. I have a GFA time and have already gotten my number. As I ran London last year, also on GFA, I assumed this was normal. It seems it is not.

Off to the airport, home for Christmas. Enjoy your runs tonight. I have an early one tomorrow, followed by Spors physio, than shopping, so not sure if I will get on line tomorrow. If not enjoy your runs tomorrow.

• Lol @ Tenjiso it must be my age, Go Caz there are two good for age starts over on the red is "Fast good for age" that's where I'm starting fromimage Surrey on the Red start fast good for age is the frontimage
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey HeOw - why don't you just add a few miles to the mid length during the week and long run on weekend to make up mileage to between the two schedules. Don't add to the easy/recovery runs or tempo runs.

• 15, I had deliberated re that OR just dropping the extra aerobic run from the 55-70?  They seem to have 2 x medium distances and 1 LSR on that one.  So, could follow the medium and the long, the LT run and the 2 recovery runs.  If mileage gets too much, drop one of the recovery runs and cross train instead?  

NoPain...  You are a legend! That is all. 

GoCaz, I am concerned I am aiming bit too high, I am hoping the extra mileage is what helps me towards 3:45-3:40. image

• I am thinking around 9:30m/m for long runs Go Caz, which will be strange, as I have always ran them faster BUT I think that has been my main downfall in marathon training.  So, will probably start around 9:45m/m and slowly edge up to around 8:30 over last few miles.