Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Cheers SB I am always interested in your take on things, and I love your wisdom re gradual progress. It has taken us years to get to whatever point we want to work on, but I still need my hip sorted by Sunday latest alright!?

Well I have been rollering ITB all along, not releasing TFL insertion point at the top, or anything else along Illiac Crest. I just don't like it! Point of visit to osteo tomorrow is that he is going to teach me a routine combining everything I need to do daily to keep hip going.

He's also a Pilates teacher, Sports massage person etc.
  • Ahh I see, sort of image

Yikes.... time for my run... l8rz

• He sounds amazing - will be really interesting to see what he gets you to do... I know what you mean about avoiding things you don't like - I'm good at that too - hope he can find ways around the worst of it whilst getting the benefits image

• Sounds like the thread physio is doing well on here.....well done SBimage Hope the sickies improve. My OH and daughter are flu bound so the lurgy is everywhere!!!
    Intervals at lunch today in the rain!! Lovely.image

• reikirabbit wrote (see)
     It has taken us years to get to whatever point we want to work on, but I still need my hip sorted by Sunday latest alright!?

ROFL image

• Ten miles on the treadie this morning @ 10:20 pace.  Temperature was 12F warmer than last week, but my heart rate was lower throughout.  I've actually caught up with all marathontalk podcasts (barring about the final 15 minutes of the latest episode) for the first time!  Thankfully, I've still got some talk ultra downloads to keep me going.

I can't quite believe how natural these longer midweek runs are feeling already.  I'm "lucky" (sort of) to be able to rearrange my schedule at the moment, which helps. 

• Just done an interval session in driving rain and wind tough!!! One mile uphill over 500 feet straight up took me 10.37 then 7.16-7.16-7.42-7.17 so dead now time for lunch me thinks........image A treadie in the office might be an idea for days like today!!!

• Tui na has much alleviated the hip situation, nice to see my sister too!

Good running you two.
  • Yayyy reiki - hope it stays that way/gets even better!

Today I have been mainly falling on my face whilst trying to use an ab wheel, wobble cushion and keep my feet in the TRX cradles - classy chick me you know!

Ben's coming along to a class next week - should be novel for him!  Might have to give him a dead arm before the class starts so he's not brilliant at it straightaway - seems fair really!!

Where's oscarr?  cooooeeeee where are you ? xxx

• Struggling for motivation.  Just want to get past next Tuesday.

• We're all thinking of you... One step at a time! Will you be with your son/s?  Any sign of the little one yet? ((( )))

2 practice massages for me today then off to my sister's to eat all her quality street!  Anyone care to place bets that she has an extra tin tucked away under the stairs anyway...

• No, quiet day planned for me.  No sign of next grand child yet but its very close.

Hope all your seasonal preps are going well and hope you are all enjoying the buildup.

• Give yourself a hug from us - don't let yourself get too down - remember all the good times and though there may be tears - I wish you only ones of joy and fondness.  And remember - angels don't take Christmas off - so just you watch out for that thunderbolt! 

Go check out my facebook page - you really have to see the pug running video - it's possibly the funniest, most heart warming thing you'll ever see!

If you need to chat - our mobiles will be on!

• Thanks Sleepy - i will be OK, just need to handle it on my own and in my own way.

Please everyone i do hope you all have a great Christmas.

• Keep going Oscarr soon be January and the light gets brighter and the days longer, dont do Xmas thing myself but looking forward to a break from work seeing my parents its their 52nd anniversary on Monday so we are having a meal with them.......I will be out on a run Tuesday just another day to me,  hope that grandchild arrives soon be a great gift for you. Looking forward to running GG with you, take a look at the route you need to get hill fit for that!!!! Have a great hols all. Last day here for me hope I can avoid the flu from the girls.
    Have a good break from work all.image

• ((Oscar))  Take care.

• Five miles recovery today.  

Tomorrow will be 13m in what is predicted to be typical race-day weather for me (i.e. wet and windy).  Somebody please explain why I am looking forward to it? image

• Ten - Because you are hardcore and know that once you get going there is nothing that Mother Nature can throw at you that will stop you putting one foot in front of the other!  And that's the best feeling in the world (well after the one you get from the well earned mince pie that you'll be able to enjoy guilt free afterwards) Ten vs the planet = winner is Ten! imageimageimage

I'm so looking forward to putting my feet up and reading the last couple of chapters of my book that I've been patiently saving so that I can savour them (it's non running related so I won't go on).  Have my pink champagne chilling in the fridge (my very own Christmas tradition).  However I'm looking forward even more to going to meet Rascal's new potential friend - a 10 yr old rescue patterdale terrier who has lost his home due to the recession.  (Owners' home got repossessed and they weren't allowed to take him into the rental they've been forced into). 

So.. no running for me now til Sunday when we'll be hitting Bakewell - can't wait to be back out on the trails... Let the mileage increases begin...

• SB - I've already bought my LSR/race day celebration Christmas puddings for 2013 image  Though, hopefully I'll get some more cheap ones after Christmas for other running-related celebratory purposes.  And non-running-related celebratory purposes.  And non-celebratory purposes.

• Ten - i hope the puddings are a little moistier than your sense of humour image

• Well, i'm a grand dad again, this time a girl - Megan Isabella Aira Scarr born last night in west Wales - both healthy but the Dad is freaking out!

• Congratulations Oscarr!  I like "Aira" - unusual name.  From the look of the weather, appropriate for today too image

I'm just letting my breakfast settle before I head out.  It's dark outside, but the good news is that the days are officially getting longer again - hoorah!! image

• Thanks Ten - Aira is a small place in the lakes chosen to remember my wife.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    oscarr: Congratulations!!! And I hope your ok image
  • Congratulations Oscarr, and lots of love and light to you at this so time of joy and pain.
  • Congratulations Oscarr - the wheel of life keeps turning. A Christmas baby in the family is cool.....

Soggy Newbury parkrun for me today which was the Club winter 5km challenge, scored I think on age grade. Loads of club vests on show and I got round a very wet course in 20:41 which might be +/- 2 secs given the vagaries of timing these things.

Anyway, enjoyable outing in a funny sort of way only spoiled by picking up someone else's track suit bottoms and losing my hard-won Abingdon (techie) marathon T-shirt.

Pleased to say eventually recovered the T, but lost the trackies which is the right result. I blame my oxygen deficit at the end, nothing to do with advancing years!

If I don't sign on again within the next few days - happy Christmas to all contributors on this forum and may be the road ahead be long, flat & fast in 2013!image

• Lovely name, I read that it meant "from the wind" - which is why it felt appropriate today.  Maybe not quite as appropriate as Reine, though image

• Ten - its Aira Force, a waterfall near Ullswater - looking at todays weather i think a waterfall is appropriate !

Thanks Bo, Mike and Reiki.

• Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Ten - Because you are hardcore and know that once you get going there is nothing that Mother Nature can throw at you that will stop you putting one foot in front of the other!  And that's the best feeling in the world (well after the one you get from the well earned mince pie that you'll be able to enjoy guilt free afterwards) Ten vs the planet = winner is Ten! imageimageimage

Boy did this ever come to mind during my last few miles!  Mother Nature tried her damnedest image

The plan was 5m easy and 8m @ MP.  It was hard work keeping the pace down on the way out, and harder keeping the pace up on the way back!  The return was into the headwind and driving rain (not easy when you're a speccy git like me), which made reading the garmin difficult.  A bit of Milton Keynes marathon deja-vu.

I averaged 10:39 pace for the first five miles, and 9:08 for the remaining eight miles (4 hour MP).  Under the circumstances, I'd call that good pacing! image  I was particularly pleased with the 11th and 12th miles, which were up a long incline averaging 2% during the worst of the weather (9:15 and 9:08 pace respectively).  That took a fair amount of concentration.

Did I enjoy the run?  Hell, yes!  I now realise why it is so important to run very easily during the recovery runs.  This was harder than my steady 12m run a fortnight ago, which shows the effect of training accumulation.  Glancing ahead at the schedule there is no way I'll complete the tough runs if I'm not kind to myself during the easy runs!    This is only the beginning!

So, that's my second week of official training in the bag.  36 miles.

My next run is 10m on Christmas Eve.  Bring it on!

• Ten - sounds like you have learned so much good stuff this week and 36 miles in week 2 is impressive.  I think Bacon Sarnie's 4 hr plan from Sam only gets him into the 20's in week 2.  Good controlled pacing today as well.  Bet that mince pie tasted good!

Mike - great 5k in this weather and pleased you get your hard earned Abo T shirt back.