The End of the World

Its happening then. Its dark, its dark, the sun has gone, its not there, its.... oh its the middle of winter and early, that's why. End of the world. Which one?

Any preppers out there?

I wonder how many believers have told their bosses where to go lately?

Interesting to see how many manage to get their jobs back.

🙂

Comments

• Anyone know what time? Only I have a hair app.

• Hopefully make it through lunchtime, I have prepared some nice sandwiches and it would be a shame to waste them...

Have been waiting for the apocalypse, or lack of, before starting Christmas shopping. Well, every penny counts, you know.

• Hopefully it's not just yet! Just had an epic breakfast image

Surely Australia would of let us know by now??
  • M&S were open half an hour early this morning. And it has stopped raining. If this is the apocalypse I like it image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I do hope the world doesn't end today - I've got a nice bit of beef rib on order at the butchers image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Oh it's today is it? I wish I'd known. I wouldn't have bothered training this morning and got an extra 90mins of kip. I am going to write a letter of complaint. They really should advertise these things a bit more. 

• I decided today that I was going to be less grumpy.

Don't think I'll bother now.

Bah humbug!

• I need  to get out to buy lunch, perhaps won't bother!

• I think it was supposed to be 11.11 - and if that's the case I missed it...unless you guys are all gone?? image

• i'm in Govan and it's a bit difficult to tell.

• I think you may have to use Mexican time, so I have got time to go out for lunchimage

• No, I'm not gone - at least I don't think so! Nope, am deffo still here in the office working - but not for much longer, I'm leaving in an hour, whether or not the world is still here.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

come on, come on. I can't wait all day. I've got things to do!

• is it the end yet?? im bored image

• When your calendar runs out you just buy another one. Is not the end of the world is it?
  • REM will make an absolute fortune in royalties.

• I'm waiting until it becomes the 22nd in Cental America before I'm convinced we're all safe, so just over 17 hours to go.

• thanks Dude - now I'm singing that! image

• All a bit of a let-down!

• "sanka,      you dead"

ya mon

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Plenty of disaster programs on Sky.TV. See, common as muck!

Usual 'only in America' perspective. And 'what will it do to New Yorkers in particular.

Mega tsunami: La Palmas volcano the source. Hits New York.

Asteroid: If it hits New York.

Comet: If that hits New York also.

Mega Flood: If that ..... oh that was last week.

Earthquake: Cascadia fault-line. OK that's on the West coast but will cost New Yorkers money somehow.

Mega Volcano: Yellowstone caldera. Long over due. Cloud of ash will reach New York.

Yes hoards of New Yorkers live in fear that at any moment, a natural God given disaster will destroy, in one instant, them, their families, their home and all their possessions and worse of all their automobiles. 

🙂

• I'm surprised more shit doesn't happen to Washington rather than New York.  Because, as any alien who has watched any disaster or sci-fi movie will know, that's where the Leader of Planet Earth lives.  I suppose New York has more iconic buildings in it though.

So yeah, it doesn't really matter that it's already tomorrow in Australia, they don't count over there.  It's still morning in the good old US.  I imagine Will Smith is polishing his combat boots as we speak.

• Actually if the Yellowstone caldera thing does happen the game really will be over.  

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Oh I forgot. The invasion by aliens. But then again they made a film about that with 'Independence Day'. Remind me, was that in New York?

Really fortunate that the aliens were up to speed with their computers. Jeff Goldblum would have been buggered otherwise. Can you imagine it? he gets into the alien spacecraft and rails at the fact that "THERE'S NO BLOODY USB PORT, HOW CAN I GET CONNECTED? NO WI FI EITHER", "WE'RE DOOMED!".

Can do anything with a laptop. Just wiggle your fingers and save the world.

🙂

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

He must have been using a MS laptop. An Apple wouldn't have stored the virus.

I am starting to get the feeling that:

a. Those Mayans didn't know what they were talking about 

or

b. Those Mayan experts don't know what they are talking about.

I must say I am finding this whole end of the world thing very misleading and unsatisfactory and just want some closure on the whole thing.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A Gamma ray burst within 100 light years of us will bring closure. Totally.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Plenty of disaster programs on Sky.TV. See, common as muck!

Usual 'only in America' perspective. And 'what will it do to New Yorkers in particular.

Mega tsunami: La Palmas volcano the source. Hits New York.

Asteroid: If it hits New York.

Comet: If that hits New York also.

Mega Flood: If that ..... oh that was last week.

Earthquake: Cascadia fault-line. OK that's on the West coast but will cost New Yorkers money somehow.

Mega Volcano: Yellowstone caldera. Long over due. Cloud of ash will reach New York.

Yes hoards of New Yorkers live in fear that at any moment, a natural God given disaster will destroy, in one instant, them, their families, their home and all their possessions and worse of all their automobiles. 

If you haven't already caught it, make sure you see 'Evacuate Earth' when they repeat it.  Every now and then, Nat Geo comes up with a really great documentary; this is certainly one of them. image

Oh and if Yellowstone blows, it won't just be the USA's problem - it will be an E.L.E: Extintion Level Event.image

Screamapillar wrote (see)

Actually if the Yellowstone caldera thing does happen the game really will be over.  

Yep and unlike a potential asteroid strike, there's not a damn thing we could do about it.  With an asteroid, a big bang in the right place could move it off course by a few centimetres: with sufficient warning, that's enough to make it miss the planet.

And then there's the forthcoming Solar Maximum, when the sun is at its most active.  When we were hit by a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) in the 1800s sometime it wasn't too bad.  If we get hit by one now and it fries the power grid, then we're immediately back two hundred years or so.  Satellites, mobile phones, computers, GPS - all of that would go belly up.  Fortunately, they reckon that with sufficient warning they could merely turn down the power grid or turn it off entirely so when the CME hits, there's nothing for it to fry; a bit like unplugging things when you know a storm's coming.  Obviously that'll mess the world up for a few days, but it would be nothing compared to the power grid being permanently fried.image

And yes, a gamma ray burst would do the job in a most comprehensive way as well.

Finally, if anyone's still around in 5 billion years time, they'll witness the sun run out of fuel and enlarge in size to a 'Red Giant' which will consume the entire inner Solar System, Earth included.

Nice, eh?image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Actually if the Yellowstone caldera thing does happen the game really will be over.  

That's a very good point. It's overdue to erupt.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Is this thread still going? Bring on the end of the world so we can start discussing something else!