Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• sweetfeet - your MHR is whatever it is - I took mine as the highest reading I'd ever seen at the end of a race and added a couple of bpm as I hadn't actually thrown up. If you race wearing your HRM you should see some likely numbers, sometimes a minute or two after you cross the line having sprinted for it.

TR - that sounds about right. I allow ten minutes for warming up and aim to have my actual HR in Z2 bu the end of that and then spin easy for the last five minutes so that's a quarter of an hour long session which is under Z2 but the AHR at the end needs to be there.

EP - if you're too ill to run then you're too ill to turbo as that needs to raise your HR if it's to have any benefit.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Just forced myself to get on the turbo.....so 30 min turbo when i spent the time begging my hubby to go out for the 15 min run with me....even though he had just eaten his dinner...............

it worked and so brick session completed and ticked off plan

• 45 min spin session at gym, not zone 2 :-!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - ah I get it, the session inc w/u and w/d has to fit in the HR zone. I only just scraped into zn 2 today then, but I did do 2hrs. My HR is silly low in the w/u though.

Sweetfeet - I note your IMAustria choice, no more potential hypothermia in the New Forest then ?  You could run soem flat out hill reps to get a max HR, but you should be able to guesstimate it and even if you are a few beats out it probably doesnt matter.

Seren - are you running VLM ? how does this fit with the Fink plan, do you stop Finking for a while and do a marathon specific block  ? I do my own thing built around a few run commutes but then put a bit more marathon specific work in during March time.

• I am doing Llanelli mara as part of the Fink training, I will be racing it, just easing back the training the week before, personally I don't see why you would need to switch to a marathon specific block, I see better times when cross training so you can train with more intensity rather than just running.

• Wore HRM monitor for brick sesh - good job I did - needed much more resistance to get into z2, but was ok once I got used to it.

So, cycling done, 2 more runs and one swim to go ... Loving this

PBd in pool today, and felt really fresh after image
  • Thanks TR although that was a freak day wasnt itimage

VLM v IMA for me is treat VLM as a long training run. I took the five-decline place at VLM as I love that event and an opportunity to run it again can't be refused. I will try and limit how much I let it impact the Fink schedule. At least Monday is rest dayimage

IMA is the 'A' race for 2013. (first Bmth mara in Oct = A- and VLM = B).

Thanks for the max HR advice I need to reset my zones I think.

Swim set #1 again tonight for me. Those 12 x 100s @ 20 sec in the middle are quite challenging if you give it full beans. I'm just hoping it is making me a better swimmer.

• Wow, first check in for the best part of a week and everyone is going great guns.

So far managed to follow the plan religiously, except for swimming. I have only managed to get to the pool twice in 2 weeks so definitely need to ip my game there. In that department, any drills people can recommend for hand entry and catch with my weaker side. I do everything with my right hand (smut alert) and find that unless I make s real effort my left hand is doing little more than laying on the water on that half of the stroke.

All my bike sessions are on the turbo and I can't see that changing until at least Feb unless this crap weather changes. However, I do pick up my shiny new TT bike tomorrow so I can turbo and imagine eating up the Nottinghamshire countryside!
  • TR.I'm planning on doing llanelli marathon as well.but will leave entering until late as if I am not in PB form or  think that it will mess my Ironman training them i will bin it........

I will not be following Fink to the letter but will be using it as my bases...........I will do all my runs slowly apart from Park runs if i get back into them in the new year or cross country races..........

so once a week i will HR Zone 4 and the rest will be ! and 2 on the runs

Last year i was out on my bike 2/3 times a week every week......even if it was my hybrid.finding it hard this year to get my arse through the door..........mind last year it was very dry for the beginning part of the year...and this year we are having rain everydayimage

• Stanners - you could try chicken wings and finger tip drag if arm and hand position are your issues.

Sounds good britrisky - had a thought about your cycling problem yesterday - do you have a women's specific saddle? I did find that helped a little.

EP - what's the difference between raising your HR into Z2 on the bike or running? If you're well enough to train - get on with it - if you're not - get better first and rest is going to be the quickest way to do that.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

BrokebutTri'ng - you are probably overall fitter due to the cross training of Tri, but you wont run an optimum marathon off it regardless if you can put more intensity into your running or not. Top marathon runners run, they dont swim/bike/run. Running intensity rarely features in a marathon build up for me, but a bit more run frequency and the associated miles make a big difference to how my legs cope on the day. You might be a bit nearer to the pointy end of marathons than me though.

Sweetfeet - you couldnt turn that VLM place down then, taking it as a training run will probably enable you to enjoy the day more, taking part in VLM is teh closest I'll ever get to a Tour De France type atmosphere on race day. B'mth marathon noted by me too. I already have a date with Sandyballs again though.

Seren - I like that marathon plan, slow running miles topped off with Parkruns or XC races. Nearer marathon time if you can make a couple of your running days double days with something like another 5M run this really helps your running legs. I only run 3 or 4 days a week in marathon build up but they are all commuting doubles apart from the long run.
    I have to bike early mornings so apart from some MTB commute miles then I'm pretty much turbo bound, with the odd weekend ride if its not icy early or flooded (more apt at  the mo). But Turbo is good for me as it works me hard.

• 1 hour turbo last night and 1hr run in the pitch black this morning.

Neck is still sore but no worse so will just carry on and wait it out.

Next week will be very off plan and after that I shall get back on track.

I'm another who has to put effort in on the turbo in order to get my heart rate up to Z2, I'm such a coaster. Going to upload garmin in a bit and see how I did.

• Seren are you Parkrunning this tomorrow? I am thinking about popping down to CF to have a look what its all about. If I can get my arse out of bed that is image

• Stanners I would suggest some intensive one-arm work on the weaker arm. Helps you learn to breathe both sides too which I struggle with. Plus what LMH recommends. You'll go twice as quick if you get the other side going.

• Broke.i was going to go to newport patk run.but i haven't managed to get myself an elf costume.so will probably just go out early with my OH for a long run.............we should be at CF Parkrun on Christmas dayimage

• 1 hour run done today.  am on track for this week - except i missed a swim session image.

sweetfeet - what's LMH?

• LMH.abbreviation for Little Miss Happyimage

• Hour swim in but didnt get up in time to run image going to add it on to sunday.
  • Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)
    any drills people can recommend for hand entry and catch with my weaker side. I do everything with my right hand (smut alert) and find that unless I make s real effort my left hand is doing little more than laying on the water on that half of the stroke.

All my bike sessions are on the turbo and I can't see that changing until at least Feb unless this crap weather changes. However, I do pick up my shiny new TT bike tomorrow so I can turbo and imagine eating up the Nottinghamshire countryside!

Have you tried tying your right hand to the waistband of your Speedos, Stanners? Good way to isolate the left arm. If you do follow that advice, please tell me where and when, as I'd like to watch.

Lots of turbo sessions going on. All you hardcore IronPeople hiding from the rain. Bless image.

• Couldnt sleep so been out for 1 1/2 cycle and 15 min run. Nice empty streets and quite mild too.
  • I expect you were going on out the bike before people were coiming home from the pub RDC

• just under 7 wet miles done.the last 3 dressedas a christmas fairy and off road................ran slowly to keep the HR down.but wanted to speed up to finish the park run and get dryimage

• I expect you were going on out the bike before people were coiming home from the pub??

Lol yes I saw a few swaying down the road when I was out.
  • Missed the park run this morning, didn't think that I would get there in time with the extra christmas shoppers on the road.

So today has just been 40 miles on the bike, very wet out there, I have decided that my water proof gloves are only waterproof when there is no water about, otherwise they soak up as much water as possible image

The question is now should I go to the pub or go swimming? image

• Pub!!!

Think I have the same gloves as you BBT!! Managed 2 hours in the pissing rain this morning before I gave up on ...errr... safety grounds!! image

• Guys.you are amazing cycling in this weather..............BBT.if you want anothe couple of hours on the bike tomorrow i can comeup to your for a ride image.I can see me trying to book in on double spin to avoid this weather

BBT... go to the pub and then swim back in the rivers that were roadsimage

• A soggy 10 miles for me this morning, all z2, except the last 50m of Parkrun (couldn't resist image). Lots of Santas.

Cooking rest of day - bliss.

Swimming tomorrow to make up for a rest day on Tuesday

• I am debating whether to go out on the bike.do double spin or to go on the turbo.............

as long as I head in the direction of no known road closures by flooding i should be okimage

today is the last day of the week for week 2 and I only have a bike ride left to do