sub 40 min 10k

Hi. i'm 50 next year and have a good level of fitness. Is it realistic to set a challenge of running sub 40 for a 10k race?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How fit are you at the moment? Any running background?
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

As Millsy said, impossible to tell without further info.  There are people over 50 who run sub-40 for 10k, so its possible.  There are also a number of people (of all ages) who would like to run sub-40, but never achieve it.

It may take you a few years to break the sub-40, but you didn't quantify how hard a challenge you wanted?

• sorry for delay in replies. Got a bit of a background of ruinning. used to run alot about 20 odd years ago, then intermittently since. More so over last 18 months, although that has been with a couple of injuries and an illness all not caused by running. Done a limited amount of speed and tempo work although not specific to anything in particular. always had a naturally good fittness and stamina base. At present i can manage my own 10k route (alone) in inside 43 mins. I have a resting heart rate of high 40's or low 50's, still trying to pin this down more accurately.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you can run 43 mins at the moment on limited training then sub 40 is well within reach. Find a decent plan, do the training and in a race you should be able to do it without too many problems.
  • Thanks millsy. I'll keep you posted. image