HADD training plan

Comments

• SC- i'd have to say the same as brian there. I misjudged my max hr aswell when I started hadding but thanks to bri I now use 200 as my max rather than 213 this has ment I can actually do 70% running without getting burned out.

Also- wooooooohooooo were all still here an the world hasn't ended.
  • Ding Dong Merrily on Bri. wrote (see)

SC, the run at 79-84% shouldn't feel comfortable. I'm fairly sure that your max is more than likely higher than what you think. What figure are you working on and have you any race data?

had a festive pizza last night - it was deep and crisp and even.

really image?? I find the 80% runs comfortable too. It's those 90% LT runs that come with the P&D plan that I find hard image

We three Keir's of orient are... wrote (see)

11.5m at 75% done with a few miles at 80% early this morning. Accidently tripped over a traffic islad which I forgot was there at one point and landed on the verge. Luckily it didn't affect my run, although my gait changed for the final few miles as I battled to keep the gingerbreadman from escaping from the oven.

LOL, Keir! Love the gingerbread remark image.

• I was going to write this below but then thought maybe it feels differently for old people like myself?

Santa/SC, A good way of describing 80% is "comfortably hard". The first couple of miles should feel hard, as you get used to the pace. After that, should feel steady. After 70mins you should feel tired but not feel you have to stop.

Any other opinions on 80%?

• I guess I need to speed up ...

• Ditto. It feels ok and not as fast as comfortably hard. I'll let you know better when I've done longer than 4 miles at 80%
  • Ding Dong Merrily on Bri. wrote (see)

I was going to write this below but then thought maybe it feels differently for old people like myself?

Santa/SC, A good way of describing 80% is "comfortably hard". The first couple of miles should feel hard, as you get used to the pace. After that, should feel steady. After 70mins you should feel tired but not feel you have to stop.

Any other opinions on 80%?

I would certainly say it feels like a steady pace, to be honest it doesn't matter if I start slowly or at a steady pace the first mile always feels a little hard.

the HRM strap arrive this afternoon so this gave me an opportunity to test it out, the plan was to run for an hour at no more than 75%.

/members/images/696098/Gallery/21Dec.jpg

As you can see the average HR was 140 74% but I did go over on the 4th and 5th mile. so a little more work to do with my pacing.

weekly stats are:  45.2 miles in 8:22:15 @10:53mm 138bmp(73%)

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good work SC. Do you max a max HR alarm on your Garmin? I find this invaluable in keeping my HR under a secific bpm.

It feels comfortably hard to me as well Ding Dong

• I can't see a heart rate alarm, but I could setup a hr workout, I'll try that on my Monday run, thanks for the tips image

• 17.53miles in 2:19:46 ave 7:58 tonight with clubmates image and two new faces. Didn't wear the heart monitor because I find it impossible sticking to heart rate of 140(70%) when running with others. hoping to really get on the 70% running now I'm running again.
  • 80% runs feel fairly comfy for me too. I do know I'm working though. I also have to fight the urge to run at intensities over 80% (I always feel like a dog that's just slipped the leash on these runs).

Forgot the snap on HR piece today but got 8 miles in at 8 m/m. If I had to guess, I would say this was a 74-76% effort. 42 miles over 4 days so far this week. Hope to finish in the mid50s

Anyone else take ibuprofin before runs? I got into the habit of doing this after some knee tendonitis a few years back and have never really stopped...until 2 weeks ago. Systems have been OK so think I can stop doig that now (and save my kidneys!)

• Andy, looks as if you're back. How did everything feel?

• VT- be carefull with vitamin I it could mask niggles.
  • VT- it all felt fine actually which is nice because its gone from a simple 1m jog to 17.5m pain free. RESULT. imageimageimageimage started wearing some adidas hagios to train in. feel nice an light on me feet when I run in them.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Great news Andy. 

SC - Keep the minimumn HR alarm low. I have found a max alarm useful but if the min alarm is only 10pm lower it gets really fustrating as keeping within a narrow band is difficult.

Brian, I forgot to answer you the other day. The duathlon in Jan reckons it is one of Kent's hardest events: A 2.4 mile road run, followed by 9.5 mile MTB across the marshes and then a 4.5 mile Cross Country run. The bike and run are through serious knee high mud. A real slow slog. Last year was pretty dry and fast - I think the whole thing took my 90mins. Also on the run you are redirected to run through some waist high cold water ditches. All good fun image

• Boooooooooooooooooooooooo Its pissing it down!

• Finding it difficult to get the miles in this week - 3 roads in to village and 2 of them flooded! So just a case of trying to do what I can.

75% pace still holding good which I'm putting down to the 80% runs having some effect - it's like turning a corner.

SC - nice steady stats - very similar to my pace - I'm averaging 10:42 at 137bpm (75%). I think your improvement will come quicker than mine as your getting more mileage in. My 80% avg's are 9:37 at 146bpm

• AtD, not so sure that's sensible, or taking it steady, but it appears you have got away with it. Good luck with the comeback.

Keir, respect for doing that sort of endurance event. Sounds a bit of a slog, but good strength work physical an mental.

Been thinking about the 80% and how it feels. This will depend (obviously now!) On how well aerobically trained you are. Having done a few years of hadd I am aerobically well trained and therefore my 80% pace is pretty well plateaud I guess.

Thus it will feel harder on the legs owing to the better relative pace.
  • Keir: image that sounds mega tough! But it also sounds like fun. I like mud image. It means I can be shit and then blame the conditions image

AtD: glad you are running again

I think I need to do another max. test image. My 80% runs definitely feel steady, not hard. Not even comfortably hard. Just ... good!
    The max tests I did gave me 182, a figure I see frequently in races. But I've seen 187 a few times too which I thought was a silly spike... it's just sooooo tough to max. out. I'm dreading it!! image

11 miles in a blizzard. It was freeeeeeezing image

• 15 wet miles!!!!!!!  Im sure the heavy rain makes it feel like ive run 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• 10k on the treadie. Did some 200s, 10 12 14 and 16kph.

Club handicap 4mile tomora with a good warmup and cool down.
  • ding dong merrily on bri to be honest I was hoping to get about 10mile in that night but when I found that two extra fellers were coming along an we got going nattering away I just lost track of time/distance/pace/hr an counted meself lucky to of got away with it. Went back down to gradual daily progress today with 10.1mile in 1:18 nice comfy pace of 7:46

Thanks for all the positive comments from people in last 2weeks, however small. Very much appreciated. Others runners attitudes are very helpfull when its not going so well. Thanks.

has anyone read MORE FIRE, how to run the kenyan way- Toby Tanser? Just finished it myself and just curios what others opinions are on it. Cheers.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Lots of flooding. I managed to get out for 8miles in the wet and dark. Wore sealskin socks for the first time and they were brilliant. Dry feet all run, despite having to wade across some fields to miss the worst of the road flooding. Going out for a couple of hours in a few minutes, after my wife has emerged to take of kid duty.

• You guys have had more than your fair share of rain this year! Commiserations image

Well today looks like a write-off. Everything is covered in ice - been raining all morning with temps around -1. Treacherous. even the Yaktrax can't cope with so much ice. Guess I will swap tomorrow's rest day and today's 15miler around image

Good luck today, Brian.

Atd: book sounds interesting. I'd love to run the Kenyan way image

• BD, The weather down south is awful, looking back on some of the posts here, I'm amazed any running is getting done at all, as for improvement, I think I'm seeing a little bit of improvment even with only three weeks since I introduced 75% runs into my program.

Brian, I think you may well be right with regards to the 80% runs for example, today's run HR averaged at 87% and I would have described this as working hard, but being able to run on after the finish.

Santa Baby, doing another max test would fill me with dread, but if it has to be done image, hope the underfoot conditions improve for your run tomorrrow.

Keir, Sounds like horendous conditions down there, kudos for getting out there and doing it.

Andy, Is it a book you would recomend I'm on the look out for a good book.

A wet run this morning, not as wet as some I may add! with some like mind folk, as it was a group run HR was right out the window, 6.3 mile loop around Daviot Woods in 1hr and 2 minutes @ 9:59mm,  

/members/images/696098/Gallery/23Dec.jpg

I normally do my long run today, but it was a little to quick for this so I'll do it tomorrow.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

14.5m with 72mins @ 150 (79%). Might do similar distance through the mud tomorrow to justify some extra Xmas pud the following day. 

• Some good mileage out there all of you.  SC, interesting paces vs heart rate for you.  Was it hilly?

Keir, a mile in the mud has got to be worth at least one extra mince pie vs a dry run.

For me yesterday was a parkrun and I just decided to go with the flow.  Unfortunately competitive juices got the better of me and I ended up averaging 174 which is 94% because a pretty meaningless 3rd place was up for grabs. I was also in fancy dress and the thought of being fastest fairy made me push harder than I should have.  So overall a very unHadd run.  It's made me realise from the earlier parts of the thread that my max HR may need adjusting upwards slightly.

As a reuslt I did an easy 7miles at 73% this morning and will do the long run tomorrow.

• Not going to complain about my windy run with all that rain down south (and ice over the water).

9 miles with 4 at 6.40 pace.

Came 8th out of 13 in the handicap. To show how strong the wind was, I did the first 2 (outnback) in 14.10 and back 2 in 12.30
  • Well done in the park hollers
  • Not going to complain about my windy run with all that rain down south (and ice over the water).

9 miles with 4 at 6.40 pace.

Came 8th out of 13 in the handicap. To show how strong the wind was, I did the first 2 (outnback) in 14.10 and back 2 in 12.30