Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)
    Evening Steve, nice to read through such a positive thread. Looks like you've had a wonderful first week of training too.

Thankyou for the strength circuits....any way you can get your friend to post it on my thread????

Mmmm champagne! I've a soft spot for Bellini's. I'v had loads of chocolate bought me from my patients....think their trying to fatten me up!

Thanks, I've honestly loved every minute and really looking forward to the next stages of training. Feeling really enthused about my running at the moment image

No worries, will stop by and post the link!

Haha they're probably trying to slow you down! You are seriously quick...image

• PAUL FORDE wrote (see)
    Hi Steve, looks like you're doing really well with the training. Did my first long slow run today and had to fight the urge to speed up and keep it slooooowwww. Enjoy Christmas...and the five miler!

Thanks Paul, it definitely helps when you really enjoiy it!

Well done on the first long run - how long did you go, and what was your time

Totally agree about keeping it slow - so hard to stick to the pacing, isn't it?? I think maybe it's because if you are so used to running shorter distances, you are used to running those distances at a much higher pace... But as Sam and Ten have said - we're are really going to appreciate those slower runs once the distances start ramping up...

Have a great Christmas too, and keep me up to date with your training!

• Youve got off too a good start Steve.Re the pacing it will calm down as the efffect of the long weeks of training take effect.You will almost be glad to run at a slower pace on the long runs.

My plans for Loch Ness might be up in the air at the moment,im now sitting here in plaster(metatarsal fracture) due to a 17 stone man mountain acidentally landing on my foot at a works xmas night out on Friday.Orthopedic clinic tomorrow to find out the real damage done.In saying that its pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway keep up the good work Steve and i look forward to reading your progress towards a sub 4 attempt.

• Haha........I've shared all my chocolates out now so their going to have to try better!!

Thank you for posting the link on my thread (if your able to do it), I really appreciate it.

Happy wrapping today,x

Young cowboy, I'm so sorry to hear about your injury......fingers crossed it will all be fine in time for your training to start for Loch Ness!
  • Bacon Sarnie - one way to think about the pacing is that some of your midweek runs will be done at quicker paces (e.g. speed session, tempo run) such that you will be a lot happier doing the long runs at the slower pace.  Running slow on the long runs also boosts endurance cos it allows the body to burn fat for energy before it turns to glycogen stores in muscles and liver (or so my book says!!). 

• Morning Steve! Thought I'd nip in and see how you're doing! Sounds like your first week has been really positive! image

• Just dropped in to say happy Christmas Steve - and everyone else!
    Enjoy that build-up run tomorrowimage But remember, you can rejig to fit round your Christmas plans, as stated. I somehow think you'll stick to it thoughimage I'll be at Edinburgh parkrun - a festive special - in the morning. A good way to set myself up for a day of eating and drinking!

• Hi Steve, yesterday's long run was about 6.5 miles and took about 75 mins. Kept looking at my watch worrying as its so much slower than I normally run but as I felt like I could run all day, that's all that's needed at these early stages I guess.

Hope everyone has a fab day tomorrow!
  • young cowboy wrote (see)

Youve got off too a good start Steve.Re the pacing it will calm down as the efffect of the long weeks of training take effect.You will almost be glad to run at a slower pace on the long runs.

My plans for Loch Ness might be up in the air at the moment,im now sitting here in plaster(metatarsal fracture) due to a 17 stone man mountain acidentally landing on my foot at a works xmas night out on Friday.Orthopedic clinic tomorrow to find out the real damage done.In saying that its pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway keep up the good work Steve and i look forward to reading your progress towards a sub 4 attempt.

Thanks cowboy, it will definitely calm down a bit - it's just been a bit of change of ethos from what I have done previously, in that I used to just go out ful pelt for every run and just run whatever distance I felt like at the time...! I am really loving the structure and variety of the training plan, it has been a bit of an eye-opener!

So sorry hear about your foot - that's awful luck... How did it go today getting it checked out?  I do love your attitude though - yes, we all love running but, as you say, in the grand scheme of things there are more important things.  It's a good time of year to remember that! As long as we have our families and friends then I reckon we can keep a smile on our faces.

All the best with the recovery - hope it's a quick one.

• sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)
    Haha........I've shared all my chocolates out now so their going to have to try better!!

Thank you for posting the link on my thread (if your able to do it), I really appreciate it.

Happy wrapping today,x

Young cowboy, I'm so sorry to hear about your injury......fingers crossed it will all be fine in time for your training to start for Loch Ness!

Well you are getting dangerously close to that sub 20 minute 5k Sarah... I may have send you a few toblerones...image

• oscarr wrote (see)

Bacon Sarnie - one way to think about the pacing is that some of your midweek runs will be done at quicker paces (e.g. speed session, tempo run) such that you will be a lot happier doing the long runs at the slower pace.  Running slow on the long runs also boosts endurance cos it allows the body to burn fat for energy before it turns to glycogen stores in muscles and liver (or so my book says!!). 

Burn fat you say?? I'm sold oscarrimage been desperate to find my six pack for a while now... I know it's still in there somewhere!!

I completely see the wisdom in it and I have been doing my best to stick to the pacings, it is just a bit of a... well... a change of pace for me!

But, more than anything, I am loving the variety of the different sessions - it's been a real pleasure to work with Sam so far (I'm being extra nice to her so that, after the marathon, I can ask her very sweetly if she devise a sub 20min 5k plan for me haha).

Which book do you use?

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Morning Steve! Thought I'd nip in and see how you're doing! Sounds like your first week has been really positive! image

It's been great fun so far - big dopey grin as standard image

Good luck with the parkrun tomorrow! (But don't you dare go sub-20!!)

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Just dropped in to say happy Christmas Steve - and everyone else!
    Enjoy that build-up run tomorrowimage But remember, you can rejig to fit round your Christmas plans, as stated. I somehow think you'll stick to it thoughimage I'll be at Edinburgh parkrun - a festive special - in the morning. A good way to set myself up for a day of eating and drinking!

Thanks Sam, you too.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and all the best for 2013...

Sam, you sound like you've known me for years - already got the alarm set image

Good luck with Edinburgh! I reckon that's a fantastic way to earn an extra yorkie or two image Let us know how you get on

• Happy Christmas Steve, Sam et al. image

• PAUL FORDE wrote (see)
    Hi Steve, yesterday's long run was about 6.5 miles and took about 75 mins. Kept looking at my watch worrying as its so much slower than I normally run but as I felt like I could run all day, that's all that's needed at these early stages I guess.

Hope everyone has a fab day tomorrow!

Well done on the run Paul - sounds like exactly what you need! As oscarr says, that's the pace that will build your endurance and benefit you on the longer runs as training progresses. Sounds like we're both starting to get our heads into marathon mode...

Have a great day tomorrow and try to limit the mince pie intake...

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Happy Christmas Steve, Sam et al. image

Happy Christmas Ten, hope you have a great one. Thanks so much for keeping popping by and lightening up the thread - always guaranteed to put a smile on my face image

• Happy Christmas. Hope you have a fantastic day.

Looking forward to receiving a few toblerones!!!!
  • Morning Steve, merry Christmas! Hope you've had a great first weeks training!

• Merry Xmas Steve, hope you've had a goo day. Plenty of Bacon this mornin???image

• Alright Steve.....I hope you had a good Christmas. Did you have to run yesterday? Good luck with your 2nd week of training!

• Sarah - well I have to do something to slow you down image

A. W - cheers mate, yes, it went really well thanks - really enjoying the different sessions and the variety! How about yours?

Clivey - Sadly not! Went out for a five miler in the morning and had to rush out the door to drive up to my mum's for the day so I missed brekkie!! Made up for it at dinner time thoughimage How was your Christmas?

Ady - yesterday and today! Sam's idea of a Christmas present, presumablyimage good luck with week 2!

• Training - Week 2

Monday - REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING DAY

Christmas Eve was a rest or low impact cross training day... I had to go and do a little bit of last minute (ok, I won't lie, the vast majority of my) Christmas shopping so I headed to Lakeside Shopping Centre.

To my unpractised eye, it looked less like a shopping centre and more like a cross between something out of an epic Dante poem and a holding pan for the Jeremy Kyle show... Suffice it to say that I didn't enjoy it.

In many ways, for me, the experience was not too far removed from that experienced by Dante himself and, having descended to the very depths of hell, I did manage to escape past the Mount of Purgatory (Burger King) and eventually found my car.  Never has a Ford Fiesta looked so beautiful.

Still, I did walk up and down for hours and did this whilst carrying an increasingly large number of heavy carrier bags so I am inclined to count this as "cross-training".

• Training - Week 2

Tuesday - 5 MILE BUILD UP (FROM 09:20 - 8:20)

Christmas morning... and I dragged myself out of the front door for an early run before heading off to spend the day with my wonderful family.

The weather was something else - it was absolutely pouring down as I headed out the front door and as I walked down the path there was a massive flash of light which I took at first to be the paparazzi having caught up with me but which turned out to be lightning. Hardly the traditional Christmas scene... Halfway through the run, the rain started to ease off and there was actually a rainbow. But it quickly got heavier again and at point actually turned into a really heavy shower of hailstones, which fortunately only lasted for a few minutes because it was bloody painful!

The run itself went pretty well - I quite enjoyed the discipline of keeping to the pace I needed to be running at any one particular time and I split the five miles into five paces (09:20, 09:05, 08:50, 08:35 and 08:20) which I managed to keep within a few seconds of so I was pretty pleased with myself.

The hail shower was a bit of a problem as it really did hammer down hard and, without sounding like a total wuss, really did hurt to run through it. The hood on my top was already absolutely sodden and really heavy and kept hanging down over my eyes so I had to ditch that so my form was all over the place as I tried to protect my exposed areas... all of which meant I was concentrating much more on the weather rather than the run itself and meant my form was all over the place so I did get a bit tired part way through. But I soon got my second wind and finished off feeling pretty strong and felt that I was able to go faster/further if needed so no complaints there!

I was also pleased that my shiny new Garmin managed to survive the inclement weather...

The rest of my Christmas day was great fun and I had a wonderful time with my loved ones. Hope everyone else had a great day too!

• Eek! Hailstones?! Not the best weather for a run! Sounds like you did really well though!

Glad you had a great Christmas!! Good luck with Week 2 of training!! image

• Training - Week 2

Wednesday - 3 MILE JOG + 3 ACCELERATION STRIDES

Boxing Day, and another training run.

This was a slow recovery run - a 3 miles jog (10:15 - 11 mins per mile) and I dutifully crawled round, sticking to the required pace. It felt really slow and I finished feeling like I had just finished my warm up! But still, that is the point, that it is time for your body to recover and I know that I am going to really appreciate these runs as the mileage ramps up!

I decided that today was the right time (as the streets would be quiet!) to debue the Asics Top Impact line of compression clothing that the five of us had all been brave enough to purchase at the store shopping day. The range is... snug, as you can see (anybody of a nervous disposition, please look away now):

/members/images/744786/Gallery/tight_kit!.jpg

But, all joking aside, it really was amazing to run in - it really aids your posture and keeps everything where it needs to be. I can't wait to try it out on a couple of longer runs as I'm positive that it will help me keep my form really well when I am starting to feel fatigued.

The gear is really tight when you first put it on (to take the top off, I had to roll it up and over my head - there was no way I could pull an arm out first) and feels really strange but, within a minute or two, it is actually really comfortable and you honestly can feel it doing you good when you start to run. I could feel my shoulders being pulled back and it kept me nice and upright throughout the run so I was very impressed...

Anyway, tomorrow is a well-earned rest day but I may hit the pool and do a few lengths as I haven't been swimming in a while...

• steve.great running to the schedule............

loving the lycra look...........how long did you practise posing to get the best angleimage

I have been running yesterday and today bioth at zone 1 Heart rate.getting used to these slow runsimage

• Hey steve

Sorry about the weather on that Christmas run! Sounded awful image Was lovely day in Scotland! Did 20.29 at parkrun - pretty pleased with that and justified the excesses of later on!

Well done all who got out running last couple of days... Not always easy to carve out time...
  • Sounds like training is going well Steve despite the Christmas excesses. Mine has been a mixture of terrible (Monday through the rain) and fantastic (today through the mud).

I'm sure you're in tune with your feminine side...but is that a pink Asics top you're wearing????
  • hey sorry not been around of late but I have been lurking image

I have a question!! when looking at training plans what length of time is sensible to aim to shave off your pb? 

loving your thread buddy! sounds like your having a ball!! 

• RRR - it smarted a bit!! But it's probably good preparation in case we have a snowy/icy Januaryimage

Seren - How dare you?! As if I would actually go to the trouble of practising posing just in order to... okay, about 12 minutes. What are you using to measure your heart rate? I haven't even looked at the heart rate monitor on my Garmin yet... I finish the slow runs feeling so full of energy - they're definitely doing us good image

Sam - It was a bit... biblical at times! That's a great time for the parkrun, and on christmas morning as well - you definitely earned your christmas dinner!

Paul - still loving it, thanks. Gotta love a bit of mud image how far/fast did you run? And it's definitely red!

Tigs - Having a great time - you should stop by more often! image I'll leave your question to the lovely Sam Murphy...