RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Spoons - I've just remembered something else I think you should know. I have never done any post run stretches. It was something that in my mind I was going to add into my training plan in the new year. Fortunately, I havent had any serious injuries; I had what felt like a mild case of shin splints earlier in the year and the occassional pain on the outside of my knee (ITB ?) but have to be honest and say I carried on running through them. I always have various little niggles during and after a run e.g. pain under my foot, 'aching' calfs, niggle in my ankle. I do find, however, that these are only very mild pains and they dont cause me to have to stop and after a couple of miles they disappear. My legs often ache for a few hours after a run, and that does in clude a LSR, but the next morning I generally feel fine. Now, there could be a few factors here; age - having started running in my mid 40s my body my still be adjusting ? Weight - carrying a couple of stones of lard more than I should. Poor diet/alcohol - this has only been evident the last 3/4 weeks since because I havent paid as much attention to my diet as I should and you know my liking for magners.

So, some more of your advice would be useful for 1) I will be going to the gym at lunchtimes during the week so what exercises/weights should I concentrate on ? and 2) post run stretches. I dont know where to start really. I do have a foam roller which, at the moment, isnt getting much use.

Cheers

• I saw Minni kissing Santa Claus wrote (see)

Spoons you're doing a great job here!  You should try listening to your own advice! image

Knowing what to do and actually doing it are 2 different things. Another mince pie anyone?

• The paces may look tough but you ran a half at 8:10 pace so 8:00 pace is a reasonable / achievable goal for the next one. The other paces are all in line with that. 

Re: core work, stretching, gym exercises, foam rolling etc, to be honest, I think we simply need to do what is required. What this is could be nothing at all if you are lucky (you seem to have been so far). If you start getting aches and pains then we'll deal with it. I know loads of people that don't stretch at all and rarely seem to suffer. I, however, stretch loads, do yoga, Pilates, swim, etc and I'm always stiff and achey.

• Spoons. wrote (see)
    I saw Minni kissing Santa Claus wrote (see)

Spoons you're doing a great job here!  You should try listening to your own advice! image

Knowing what to do and actually doing it are 2 different things. Another mince pie anyone?

yeah, I'll have one image

Carter: you lucky sod getting away without stretches. Mind you, I'm rubbish at them too but I force myself to do the bare minimum: calf and soleus, hamstrings and hip flexor. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes but I think it's just about enough to get away with. When I up my mileage to abourt 70 I need to deal with the foam roller though. Ouch. That thing hurts like nobody's business image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Wow. What a busy day everyone is having. Just back in from last minute Christmas shopping. Kids getting very excited in my house. Will be back later to read all of this properly and digest what it means. Anyone for another mince pie image

• by spring with the sun out and the sky blue you will hit those paces no problemimage

• 8.6 miles of muddy, slippery off roading @ 10:22. It felt like a good solid run especially with the underfoot conditions.

Chickadee - I guess I've been lucky so far but the boss is basically saying if its not broke don't fix it. Who am I to argue ?? image

Carl - you are the one having a busy day with your kids running around !

Seren - I was blowing out my ass @ 8:12 for my HM, but that was done without any speedwork. Stretched targets are good so I hope you are right image

Boss - is it ok if I have a magners tonight ??
  • I think you should stay off the booze for the next few days. I will be that's for sure.

• Actually - I'm just about to force down a stomach lining plate of spaghetti before I go down the pub. Back at midnight imageimage

• I'll be checking    image

• carterusm wrote (see)
    8.6 miles of muddy, slippery off roading @ 10:22. It felt like a good solid run especially with the underfoot conditions.
    Chickadee - I guess I've been lucky so far but the boss is basically saying if its not broke don't fix it. Who am I to argue ?? image
    Carl - you are the one having a busy day with your kids running around !
    Seren - I was blowing out my ass @ 8:12 for my HM, but that was done without any speedwork. Stretched targets are good so I hope you are right image
    Boss - is it ok if I have a magners tonight ??

remember running @ 8:20 last year for my HM.and surprised that i kept going......I can't trun a mile at that rate at the momentimage

• Seren - in my HM I started off at 10:00.....and finished about 1:30 image

Anyway, pub time. Festive greetings everyone
  • Merry Xmas! Hope you get out for a run todayimage

hope Santa bought you lots of running goodies...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas everyone.

Trust you all had a smashing day. I have definitely eaten too much !!

Did not get a chance to get back on here last night as santa aka my OH forgot to tell me that there was much putting together of toys to be done before I did anything else. Eventually got to bed in the early hours.

Was woken at 8am by an express train coming up the stairs yelling that Santa had come.

As is custom in my house I do the Christmas dinner but I did sneak out for an hours run while waiting for things to cook.

I slowed down to 9:30 mm. Not quite 10 but getting there.

I found it quite slow and every so often found myself getting a little faster and having to slow down. Much harder than running at tempo or MP but no doubt that will pass as I increase the miles.

My plan this week is to do this one hour at 9:30 - 10:00 mm pace twice and do a 2 hour stint at the same pace.

Over the next 2 weeks I will build up to 5 runs per week and also hopefully settle into a new training plan that will take me to Paris in April.

I will share this plan when I have had a chance to put it together. I have a running track close by and wil aim to do one session per week on that, which will count as my interval session, that will have to be an evening session.

Also need to think about what HM to do as a build up to Paris. Any suggestions ?

• Sounds great Carl

Any HM will do. Preferably around 4-5 weeks before. What area are you from?

I didn't get my run in yesterday which is unusual for me on Xmas day. Will go out shortly.

• Just an advert to any lurkers - if you're doing a marathon this spring and like the sound of us then come along and join us for the ride. The more the merrier! Don't be scared image

• carterusm wrote (see)

When including a marathon pace effort in my LSR what percentage and part of the run should I run at marathon pace ? 

Just checking back and I missed this - personally I prefer to do this at the end as it's harder and better simulates running 26.2 @ MP. Anyone can run the first 13 miles at MP. I would go for something like 16 slow, 3@MP, 1 slow, then do 6, then do 9. Or you can do blocks like 5 slow, 5@MP, 5 slow, 5@MP etc. It doesn't really matter that much to be honest. It's just getting your body used to running at MP during a long run whilst tired, but mixing slow stuff in to reduce the fatigue and injury risk.

• CarterUSM has emailed me his training plan

Re: the long runs - I wouldn't bother with any MP until mid February. 

You basically have the last 6 @ 20 miles or above in 2 blocks of 3 weeks with cut back weeks between which is fine. I'm a bit worried about 2 x 24 milers though. Not really necessary. I would do something like: 20, 21, 20 and then 20, 23, 20. I would then put MP bits in the 4x20s but not in the 21 or the 23. Again, it's all about pushing hard but not getting injured. Make sense?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Sounds great Carl

I didn't get my run in yesterday which is unusual for me on Xmas day. Will go out shortly.

Spoons - I live in London near Camden so alot of my training involves running to Regents Park and doing laps to make up the milage.

Heading out for another slow one before the family get moving. A bit chillier today.

• Spoons - you say "I would go for something like 16 slow, 3@MP, 1 slow, then do 6, then do 9. Or you can do blocks like 5 slow, 5@MP, 5 slow, 5@MP - I understand the second part of doing blocks of 5 but I'm not following the first part - 16 slow, 3@MP, 1 slow, then do 6, then do 9. That adds up to 35 so I'm assuming I won't be doing that all in one session !

Off for a stroll round ladybower reservoir with the missus now
  • Sorry I meant 16 + 3 +1

then on the next run do 13 + 6 + 1

then on another run do 10 + 9 + 1

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Completed just over 7 miles this morning at 9:27 mm. I found myself looking at my watch for about the first 3 miles or so trying to keep a fairly constant pace but after that I decided that I could judge the pace and I more or less stuck to it.

Is it normal to take shorter strides when running slower ?

Suspect that this week will be a little tough as I although am keeping the pace down, am running on consecutive days and also stepping the weekly mileage upto about 30+.

Trying to ensourage the kids to come out for a walk in the park but seeing as they are still in their pj's looks like I am going on my own !

• Right, that makes more sense now. I will update my plan accordingly.

Carl - good running yesterday. I'm having a couple of days off but plan on a few miles around Ladybower reservoir tomorrow morning. Have you run Paris before ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Right, that makes more sense now. I will update my plan accordingly.

Carl - good running yesterday. I'm having a couple of days off but plan on a few miles around Ladybower reservoir tomorrow morning. Have you run Paris before ?

Have only run London before (2011 and 2012). So this is my first venture overseas. I am also planning to do Dublin (probably this year), maybe Berlin and I really want to do New York.

• Carl D wrote (see)

Is it normal to take shorter strides when running slower ?

I guess so. Shorter strides are good. People that have a higher cadence and a shorter stride tend to get injured less.

• Longer stride means you land harder on your heel whilst your leg is extended forward pushing much greater impact up through your shins and knees.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a garmin to replace the nike+ sportswatch that I have. But there is such a range of watches from the basic forerunner FR10 to the 610's and also option of heart rate monitors. You then have the XT range. Like all gadgets most people never use all the additional features and I am sure I will be the same.

Any views on what is the most practical ? image

• 305 Forerunner is probably the most common. Works for me perfectly.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

4-5 weeks out is either 3rd or 10th March. Looking at what is on in the Southeast and still open for entries you have Eastbourne and Berkhamsted on 3rd March and Milton Keynes on 10th March. 

I am thinking I should do this on the 3rd March as this would allow me a further 2 long runs before my 3 week taper.

Any views on which of these are better as preparation. I am leaning towards Berkhamsted even though it is far from flat with some steep undulations !

Also any others I should consider ?