Hollywood or Bust!

Comments

• If you live near a bakers, Bear, they sometimes will allow you to buy fresh yeast.

As a student I bought fresh yeast from a guy who ran a micro brewery. I think it made the bread better. Also, make sure you are really kneading the dough. It likes a goodx firm handling...
  • Yup it's a standard loaf tin.  It did taste jolly nice - I could happily have eaten the loat.  Didn't feel massively dense like you might expect if it was meant to rise a lot more.  Then again it didn't look like the pictures.

It rose so well when I left it to rise so I don't think it's the yeast unless it died off somewhere between that and cooking - could it get too hot to work?  I did leave it in front of the fire so maybe so.

I might well have another go tomorrow image

• They do 'enhance' the pictures
  • And take them using a loaf cooked in a smaller tin to make it look bigger

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I don't put them into a tin to rise. Did you leave it to rise in a warm place? I use morrissons yeast and its perfect.
  • i fancy making bread now.might ask steve to kniock that machine off his mother...

Can anyobne recommend a really good roasting tin.one that can go on gas mark 9 if needed and still leaves all the non stick on the tin not on the food

• hmmm not sure Seren - all mine say not above 230 which I believe is under gas mark 9.

I had a second go at the bread - managed to stop it dropping so much after the second rising bit so the loaf is about 50% higher.  It's delicious - but still nowhere near the shop bought ones but I'd take it any day (except it goes off to quickly and I'm single so no-one to share it with most of the time).  Slightly burnt on top - then again I'm using the top oven as my bottom one is busted.  Might try dropping the temp a bit until I get round to getting a new cooker image

I'm going to get fat trying all the scrummy sounding recipes image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've had a look and none of mine will go to gas mark 9. I know that my mum has some from years ago that can go and remain at the temperature but the make has rubbed off.

@XFR - what did you do differently this time to make it rise? Did you look at how much salt you used?

• My mum has had some prestige tins that were my grandmothers. They will have been in the oven at every temperature going!

I tend to only use my oven at GM 9 if I'm crisping up some meat I've griddle so I use my cast iron griddle.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK.... I'm here to beg for help/advice/ideas.

I have open on my desk 10 different cookery books/good food guide magazines and i'm getting myself in a complete tizzle.

We're going to some friends for NYE and everyone is bringing their own dishes for the meal. I've been asked to do an appetiser/starter. This should be for around 10 adults and 7 kids, but when I started making a list of people's intolerances i'm running at a blank.

I have:

- 5 with dairy intolerance (3 kids, 2 adults)
    - 1 vegetarian
    - 4 wheat/gluten intolerance (3 kids, 1 adult)
    - 2 with specific dietary requirements (but they're planning to bring their own food so i'm not too concerned)

So... does anyone have any suggestions for anything that I can cook for those mentioned above?

I've thought of everything from mini pizzas/dips/raw veggies with assorted dips/cheese and pineapple etc. I was planning on 2-3 different dishes that could cater across the board for the intollerances mentioned above.... but again - my cookery books are running a little short on ideas.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

How about:

Dolmades (stuffed vine leaves) - gluten/wheat free, vegetarian and dairy free all in one image

Onion/cauliflower bhaji - made with chickpea flour, also suits all of the requirements

Sushi rolls

Frittata (loads of variations, I just like this one)

Crostini/bruschetta (using gluten free bread) with a variety of toppings

Guacamole and tortilla chips (check labels for allergens)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Bookie - you are an angel! Why did I not think of asking you?!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Gluten-free bread is, for the most part, horrible.  Might as well (try to) eat a brick.

I've go for mixed dips (humous, tapenade, etc), olives, stuffed vine leaves, roasted peppers, mixed grilled vegetables, crudites, etc., that everyone can eat (and maybe pitta bread for those who do eat wheat).

You can make the dips, or buy them, or a bit of both.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Gluten free bread lends itself very well to bruschetta - it's normally quite dry, so crisping it up is the best way of using it image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK... well after suggesting my ideas - i've been told that i'm doing dessert instead.... so - Bookie/Wilkie -any ideas? I've got:

Link1

Link2

But it doesnt fulfil all of the criteria

• Chocolate mousse with mandarins. As long as you use plain chocolate it should be OK for everyone. And if they don't like it I suggest making some and eating it yourself, it's fab. But very rich - only small portions required.

http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/content/chocolate-mousse-mandarins
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks RR! image I'm going to give that a go this weekend. Is it hard to make? I've heard Mousse's can be tricky?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK... well after suggesting my ideas - i've been told that i'm doing dessert instead.... so - Bookie/Wilkie -any ideas? I've got:

Link1

Link2

But it doesnt fulfil all of the criteria

• No, not at all. It's all about stirring and whisking (and cleaning out the bowl afterwards...)
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

A flour-free chocolate cake, or a flour-free orange cake for no dairy (both have eggs).  Or one of each?

Let me know if you want recipes.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I have a brownie recipe that suits all requirements if you want it. You can garnish with raspberries, etc. to make it look a bit fancier image

Or you could do a pavlova using a soya cream/tofu and fruit mousse on place of whipped cream.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Yes please to both Wilkie and Bookie.

I'm playing with recipes this weekend to see what works out. Has anyone tried cooking with coconut flour or quinoa flour? How does this compare to normal self raising? I've read on the packet that it'll make the cake 'firmer'. Can anyone offer any advice?
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Coconut flour gives a lovely coconuty taste (you'd never have thought it!) and is moist, but doesn't rise at all so doing a direct swap with self-raising will give a very different result. Xantham gum and a raising agent will give it a lighter finish. What were you thinking of making? 

Brownies

150g 70% cocoa solid chocolate
    100g dairy free margarine (Vitalite, Pure soya, etc.)
    1 tsp strong instant coffee
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100g ground almonds
    175g caster sugar
    4 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to gas 4/180C. Grease and line a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin.
    2. Melt the chocolate and margarine. Cool slightly before stirring in the coffee and vanilla. Stir in the eggs and sugar, then fold in the ground almonds. 
    3. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool in the tin before turning out.

If you wanted, you could separate the eggs. Stir in the yolks as normal, but whisk the whites to a stiff peak before folding in gently. It would make the finished brownie a lighter image 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Or how about Nanaimo bars? 

Bottom layer
    110g non-dairy margarine
    50g granulated sugar
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 egg
    200g crushed gluten free biscuits (any of the free from cookies/digestives/shortbread would work) 
    65g desiccated coconut 

Middle layer
    50g dairy-free margarine
    250g icing sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2-3 tbsp soya milk (or any non-dairy - almond/coconut/etc.)

Top layer
    150g chocolate (check for dairy) 
    20g non-dairy margarine 

1. For the bottom layer. Melt the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg and remaining ingredients. Press into a greased and lined 8 inch square baking tin. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. 
    2.  For the middle layer. Beat together all of the ingredients until smooth. Spread over the chilled base. Chill again for around 30 minutes.
    3. Top layer. Melt the chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth. Spread over the first two layers and leave to set. Cut into squares. 

You can make various alterations to this if you want to. Add nuts to the base, or different flavoured biscuits; add different flavouring to the middle, etc. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Bookie - you are a baking legend. Thank you! I'm off to the supermarket now to try and top up my cupboard with ingredients and I'll give it a go today
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Rich Chocolate Almond Torte

200g dark chocolate (~75% cocoa solids)
    200g butter, diced
    4 large eggs, room temp, separated
    100g caster sugar
    50g Light soft brown sugar
    100g ground almonds
    Icing sugar for dusting

Heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4

Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base.

Break up the chocolate and melt with the butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water.  Leave to cool a little.

Whisk the egg yolks and both kinds of sugar until very thick and fluffy.  Add the chocolate mix and the ground almonds.

Beat the egg whites until stiff.  Fold them into the chocolate mixture gently, with a large metal spoon, in batches.

Spoon into the prepared tin, and spread evenly.

Bake for 30 mins, until the centre is barely set.  Leave to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.  Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar.

The orange cake recipe can be found here.  Grease the tin with oil rather than butter, and dust with ground almonds or wheat-free flour.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this Wilkie! I'm going to give this a go now. Do you know if you can substitute the almonds for anything else? E.g. How to make it just a chocolate torte? I've run out of ground almonds and the shops have shut. I've got ground coconut - would that work?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Give the coconut a try!  I've only ever done them with almonds, though.

I think the almonds give the cakes the structure that flour otherwise would, so maybe the coconut would work.  Should taste good, anyway!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I will attempt it now and provide some picture feedback. image

@Bookie - your Nanaimo bars are in the fridge in the "middle" phase as we speak... It smells so good at the moment!