Running and rowing (erging)

Comments

• I managed to get my 8 x 500m Pete Plan session in. I was well quicker than the 1st attempt. Knowing I'll never have to do them again after 1115 gave me the impetus to push a bit harder.. Bye bye fellow ergers

• Hello again cruel world image

They do say that Concept 2's are bombproof and I'm pleased to say that mine has survived the end of the world. There's quality for you.

So that's a steady 45 mins done and week 1 of my 4th cycle of the PP completed. Week 2 starts with the pyramid - my favourite, bring it on image

• I think recurring injuries mean no more running for the remainder of the year. Gutted.

Today I replaced my long run with a Half Marathon on the concept. Planned on keeping an even steady pace for a 90 min row, however a couple of grabs for a drink, and several pit stops to readjust the posterior meant a bit of a sprint finish to scrape inside 90 mins.

Advice for a half marathon: sort out the padding, and put a good film on
  • Oh no A-R, that does not sound good on the running front. But on the other hand, it does pay once in a while to take a week or two off, laze around and eat too much, then regroup and return to the fray refreshed and ready to roll. And you might as well do that over Crimble and the New Year!

That's a decent pace for a half marathon - about 2:07 to 2:06, yes? I feel your pain with the posterior issue. My padding is a couple of layers of bubblewrap topped with an old towel that might have been white when I put it there oh, I don't know how long ago. Maybe I ought to remove and wash it, if it isn't already fused to the seat image

Pete Plan pyramid done today, first session of week 2. I always look forward to the second half, forgetting that to hit target average pace I have to go quicker the shorter the interval, once the standing start is out of the way. This results in a mad thrash on the final 500m and 250m and me falling off sideways wheezing and heaving at the end of it. Love it - my favourite sessionimage

• Well done Muttley.  Sorry to hear that Also Ran.

Did my first ever long row yesterday evening.  Did 60mins in which I did 11020m which I am happy with.  I know it's not particularly fast but I needed to do an effort I know I can consistantly keep up plus iit is more endurance base training rather than speed at the moment.  Have to say I avoided the numb bum but that is because I purchase with the rower Concept 2 extra seat padding with cut out holes etc.  All felt fine.  Definately know from all my times on the turbo and treadmill I would need to watch something so set up the laptop with a hours DVD.  Most pleasant way of multi tasking!

• A whole hour on the erg in one go ... that is hardcore!

Santa brought me a nice new pair of Concept2 shorts. They're 10 per cent lycra so the fit is snug enough but without revealing any religious affiliations, and very comfy indeed. And quite natty, if I say so myself.

I've just broken them in with a Pete Plan 4 x 2000 m intervals set. Now rather sweaty.

• Anyone else with row pro? Found out tonight how to do online sessions. Just wondered if any regulars on he fancied setting one up for fun.
  • I'm on rowpro Becky. The only time I've got tomorrow is in the evening. I notice that there's 1hr up at 20:00. Not sure if I feel like an hour so I might set up a 10k a bit earlier. image I've been ill for a couple of weeks so I'm just getting back into the swing of things.

Have fun with the shorts Muttley.

• Hi Hannah.  mmm.. 1hr I can do but it's a bit long at 8pm!  Happy to do a 10k earlier in the evening.  Again I am new to this so not fast.

• Hi Hannah, Have seen your onnline booking but unfortunately it is too late in the day for me.  Hopefully some other time.

• 100th post on the thread ... yay image

• I had another crack at a 5k time trial the other day and beat my previous time by 1 sec! The bonus being that I didn't feel I was particularly trying, so one day I might have a real beast at it.

I do prefer going long on the rower, and I might have a crack at a half-marathon on there at some point - the furthest I have done so far was 17km.

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas image

• You need to beast it Vixxmas!! If you didn't feel like you were trying you'll be able to smash your previous time. My 5k pb pace is about 5sec's/100m slower than my 2k pb pace. If you've done a 2k tt, try that and hang in there. It will be fun. image

• Thanks Hannah. I've not done a 2k tt as I tend to want to go long, so a 5k tt fits in with that as I can still manage to do an hour. I think that the best time for me to have a crack at either a 2k or a 5k tt in a proper sense is at the end of a training session rather than at the beginning.

The best time I have ever done a 2k tt in (again not really trying) is 8.34 min.

• Vixxmas, that's a good time.  I would be pleased with that.  I, personaly am struggling to see how I can get better in terms of geting more feet per stroke.  Other people seem to be going a lot faster than me on less strokes per minute.  Failing suddently gaining longer legs overnight, what can I do?  Is it the intesity that you push off with your legs combined with the pull of the arms at the end of the stroke. 

• I find that when I slow down and practice proper technique my speed goes up. I find it is the sum of all parts that contributes - push off from feet/legs followed by proper pull through with the arms with core stability allowing control. My technique was drilled into me at 6th form by an ex-Army PE teacher, but I still find occasionally if I really work at it my technique can be better.

• Becky, technique as has been said is key, but also your age and weight have a big impact. I'm very much a lightweight rower. There is no way I could match up to a reasonable heavyweight.

I'm currently doing the Pete Plan and am seeing small improvements.

If you are enjoying row pro, there is a monthly RowPro Race Night. Everyone joins in the same race, but a handicapping is then applied. I was encouraged to place 4th for the last two months, yet I was well down the field during the event. Next one is 7th Jan and will be a 10k race:

http://concept2.co.uk/rns/

• Good point Also-ran. I would definitely be classed as a heavyweight.

• Sadly. I am a heavyweight as well. Will look into those handicapped races. Thanks.
  • The cut-off point for male lightweights is 11st 11lb. My weight, infuriatingly, is steady at a couple of lb either side of 12 stone. So in terms of tonnage I am a heavyweight but in every other regard I am very much a lightweight ... harrumph.

Competitive rowing is all about height and power. You need to be 6 foot 5 and built like a carthorse. That is not me.

BB: you could try practising increasing your output per stroke. For example, on a 5,000m workout you could settle into a comfortable pace for the first 2,000 and then aim to maintain the pace at one fewer spm to 3,000 then one fewer to 4,000 and again one fewer to the finish. Or a variant of that. Or, hold a decent pace at comfortable spm and then drop 1 stroke per minute for the final 1,000m and then in the next workout do that for the final 2,000m and so on, until you're doing the whole workout at the same pace but slower stroke.

Vixx: one second is one second. It all counts, you know!

• Had another crack at the 5k tt today and knocked my time down to 21.37 min. 13 seconds off image I think I could have pushed harder but wasn't quite feeling tip-top. Still chuffed though.

Hope everyone has a good NYE and a great 2013 image

• Yay, well done Vixx - 13 seconds is great going but leave a bit in the tank for next time. Gradually does it image

I also did a 5k just now and knocked 3 seconds off the previous time. Pacing got a bit ragged in final 1k but I feel there's more to come.

I totted up my stats for the year outgoing - 873,855m, doing over 100,000m for each of the past four months. I wish someone would tell my waistline, grrrrrr.

Happy 2013 to all ergers - may your bum not get numb image

• Muttley - I did have some in the tank, but am just not generally a morning person! image

Wow to your stats! They are really impressive image Well Done image

• Good going vixmas and muttley. Have racked up 57000 mentored in my first 2 weeks of having the rower. I reckon I could knock off a few seconds off my 500m time and get below 2 mins very soon. Just not today as my legs are still sore from yesterday's 10 mile run.
  • Oh and happy new Erging everyone.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Also-ran: is that you on the C2 forum posting about the Dynamic?

• That is me Muttley. I poke my head into the C2 forums now and again mainly to look at the training threads.  As shown on that thread about the Dynamic my choice of rower was not very technical: Is it made by Concept, and if so does it fit - yes/no? image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Ah, I thought so. I lurk on that forum quite a bit, mainly looking at the training threads. They're all a bit hardcore over there, I think it would benefit from a "paddlers" section. I occasionally post, under the name Rowan McSheen.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

BB: you could try practising increasing your output per stroke. For example, on a 5,000m workout you could settle into a comfortable pace for the first 2,000 and then aim to maintain the pace at one fewer spm to 3,000 then one fewer to 4,000 and again one fewer to the finish. Or a variant of that. Or, hold a decent pace at comfortable spm and then drop 1 stroke per minute for the final 1,000m and then in the next workout do that for the final 2,000m and so on, until you're doing the whole workout at the same pace but slower stroke.

Sounds like a useful exercise, cheers Muttley!

I was hovering around the 12st mark for a time but I've since dropped down to the 11st - 11st 5 area since upping my running training, so I'm glad to say I'm officially a lightweight!  image  At 5'10" I'm probably a reasonable height for a lightweight as well.

Technique-wise, I'm not an expert but besides aerobic fitness I think I rely fairly heavily on strong quads from cycling for my rowing.