Am I Way Below Average?

2»

Comments

• Your times are fab! Sounds to me like you've done really well! Why do you run just out of interest - what's your motivation?

I'd have a chat with the hubby, sounds to me like he'd be happier if you were sat watching eastenders getting fat eating crisps instead.. I agree with the dude and admire your restraint thus far! Time for a chat methinks...before you get sold to Ukrainian gansters that Nick knows...

• As my best 5k time is 49.03 after 6months (and yes that is all 'running' no walking)I would love to have your times. I get very down about how slow I am as people walking in wellies and pensioners overtake me on a regular basis. My husband is the one telling me not to be so hard on myself and keep going. My first 10k in may hoping for under 1hr 30mins but that may be optimistic!
  • Iluvstafies - Your 5K and 10K PB times are roughly the same as mine image   I think we should be proud of ourselves

• Iluvstuffing- your times are not below average, they are great. The main thing is you're out there doing it. Just enjoy yourself and also a target of a planned race will help. And think - you can get your hubby to be in charge of race day drop off, kit and pick up afterwards - he'll love the involvement. In fact he could also be on the look out for any potential Ukrainian gangsters!

• Iluvstaffies - when I started running regularly about 6 months ago my missus was always giving me grief. I think she was jealous that I was doing something to lose my weight but she couldnt find any motivation to do it for herself. She would give me little digs and tell me I was wasting my time etc. Then, after about 3 months of that, I basically told her in no uncertain terms that I was doing it for me not for her. If she wasnt prepared to support me then I told her not to say anything about it at all. After a short time she realised that I meant it and the comments stopped. I wouldnt say she is totally supportive now but we dont have any arguments about my running and she sees that I am doing as a hobby and enjoy it a lot. One of the big factors for me was her knowing exactly when I would be going out running so we could plan to do other things together. When you start going for a run at the time you say you are then your other half will see you mean business.

As runningforchocloate says, it's probably time for a chat..be strong and good luck

• Congrats on your times (and on getting off the couch image)  Don't let your husband get you down, it sounds like you're doing really well!

• you are doing brill.. I am with a running club and have been running 1.5 years again ( aged 43)  and done a marathon recently but still not quite at your speeds..my husband also runs and is fast but him and everyone from my club supports and praises everyone and it does not matter what speed you run at the main thing is that you run and enjoy it!

• Debbie is right the support you get from'Stranger's' when you are running with them at club nights is unreal, brilliant atmosphere! I'll not forget my first club night run I went out with one of the faster groups so came in after alot had finished yet they were all there waiting for each other to shake hands and say "Well ran" straight away I knew I would be back the week after and wished I hadn't been shy in joining much sooner. I guess I was expecting everyone to be superstar athletes but the truth of it is plenty do it for a bit of fitness and a social catch up! You should definitely look into joining one you would be very surprised how your time would stack up against the others and they would improve rapidly!
  • Your times are very respectable. I'm a data-geek myself, so I love keeping track of my times/heart-rate over various distances to see how I'm improving.

I only started running seriously 6 months ago, and the one thing that had the biggest impact on my times was to spend a couple of months of disciplined training at a low heart rate. By disciplined I mean resisting the urge to speed up and end the run all out of breath and sweaty. It felt wrong, and I couldn't believe it would have much benefit, but it did. After that I mixed it up, but I always try to keep one long slow run each week to build the aerobic endurance.

• As others have said, tell your prick of a husband to come and show you how much faster than you he is over 5k this weekend.

Once he begins to fall out his arse around the 2k mark tell him you'll see him back at home and try not to have a stroke before you get back.

• Listen to marathon talk.com episode 122 to put it all in perspective.

Times don't matter. Your hubbie is probably using reverse psychology to encourage you.
  • Runningforchocolate wrote (see)

Your times are fab! Sounds to me like you've done really well! Why do you run just out of interest - what's your motivation?

I'd have a chat with the hubby, sounds to me like he'd be happier if you were sat watching eastenders getting fat eating crisps instead.. I agree with the dude and admire your restraint thus far! Time for a chat methinks...before you get sold to Ukrainian gansters that Nick knows...

Hi there, my motivation is fitness and that I find exercise a great stress reliever.  I joined a gym initially back in February of last year but I like to have a goal whenever I take up something and decided it would be to be able to run 5k.  Then I just got hooked and want to go further and further lol.

Thanks for all the encouragement on here, it does wonders for my motivation.  Am still attending the Parkruns every Saturday, determined to get that sub 25! lol.

I would love to join a running club but need to pluck up the courage to do so!

• I've been running for about a year and dream of getting under 60 mins for 10k. PB 77 mins so far - aiming for under 70 as a first step.

I've run in 4 races so far and loved 3 of them. The last one was 10 miles - the longest I've ever run, and I came second to last, but it was such a great atmosphere I really didn't care. Chose carefully, and the race will be fun. I'm sure people will give suggestions if you say where you are based.

The other thing which helped me is my jogging group. Not a serious running clubwith structured training, but a Run England organised thing. But it sounds like the park run might serve the same purpose as this for you.

I've started to add temp and speed session in, as the variety stops me getting bored. I have come up with a training plan using the smart coach, but use this as a guide. For example last week I was by the sea where there was a jetty out with amazing views and few people on it. So I ran intervals on it - sprinting out and running back. I've also started to go to the local track which I find suprisingly enjoyable. This works well when running with my partner, who is faster than me, as he can just do more intervals.

I'm not sure what to add to the comments about your husband's attitude. It is probably worth chatting to him and finding out where the comments are coming from. He might not realise he's hurting you, or he might be wishing he had a similar hobby himself.

• Iluvstaffies pluck up that courage up to join I certainly wish I'd have joined sooner! And that sub25 will soon be very achievable for you!
  • joining a club is almost certainly the best way to improve.