Run Every Day

Towards the end of January 2012 I thought I would try to run every day in 2012?

Four days to go and I'm up to 987 miles........

Anyone else out there who has done something similar?

Comments

• Ron Hill for the last 48 yearsimage Keep running

• If you've run every day this year well done, I'm amazed. It's a big achievement and you should be proud of it.
  • Interesting, firstly anyone who goes out running each day and gives then a benifit, that can only be good news. But for me I would ask what are you aiming for. Are you running to relax, get fit or get ready to improve. 

But if you are happy to run each day and it meeting your needs then you have achieved what you are looking for. 

• Thanks for your replies ...

A-r - RonHill - yes amazing ! There's a website dedicated to those who have kept their streak going. Having done it for a year, really makes you appreciate how doing it over 30-40 years is phenomenal.

Ekgo - thank you. I am delighted!

t-d-a - great benefits, consistency, mental strength; have to be prepared to run anywhere anytime you can fit it in. Not easy, but forces you to invest in yourself for a minimum of 15 mins a day!

TR - again thanks. Happy with my achievement - became more of a challenge as the year went on. Think I'll revert to 3-4 per week, to try to improve times.

Happy running!
  • That amazing , I am just short of 600 miles for the year but a few days ago with around 5 needed a day to get to 600 I decided that my legs needed a few days off so won't achieve it , maybe next year
  • I tried running every day in November but failed after about 2 weeks. I am however going to squeeze 8 miles in before Monday to reach 1000 miles for 2012 so guess its horses for courses and well done to you for a fab achievement and a more consistant approach! 

• Today, I made the decision to run every remaining Saturday of 2012 and I did it image

Slow improver - cracking effort what you've done. You said that you decided to attempt that "towards the end of January 2012" and that there are only 4 days to go. Do you intend to run every day til towards the end of January 2013 to make it a full year ? Well done
  • I haven't run every day but I started the C25K on the 24th January 2012 and as of today I am on 1388 miles  Hoping to break the 1500 barrier by the time I have completed my year.
  • Fantastic commitment and endurance - well done.

• To do that every day, regardless of weather, for a year is good going and shows quite a strength of character (or just bloody mindedness).

But I'm going to be controversial here and say you're lucky to have gotten away with it because every day without a break for that length of time is begging for an injury. So although I admire the commitment, this is not something to be recommended.

For this year, make your resolution to go for a run five or six days a week, one of those runs becoming much longer than the others and one other being much harder and faster, with a decent rest or bit of X-training each week to give your body a break.

All in my ever so 'umble opinion of course image

• Good poitn Muttley, lucky on the injury front, to put this in context, there's a challenge on one of the FB run groups to do 3 miles per day for the whole of January, I've run 12 marathons in the last year and although I'll give it a very relaxed go, I'm not confident of being able to achieve that. I'm guessing there'll be a few enthusiastic new year runners who will be seeking medical attention by about day 6/7

• Thanks for all your comments - very encouraged - planning my final 3 mile run by the sea tomorrow!

Muttley - you're absolutely right though...very lucky (only 5/6 days when I had manflu and shouldn't have run image but took it very slow) , and sheer bloody mindedness YES. But then 20 years ago an orthopaedic consultant told me running was 'wholly inappropriate' for my condition.image

Cartersum - sorry I wasn't clear, I did start on 1st Jan, but only decided I'd try to complete it for the year at the end of Jan, if you see what I mean.

Minimum run each day 1.5 miles 

Icklemini - had to goole c25k - fantastic 1388 starting from the couch since 24th Jan is brilliant.

NW4 - 10 month old lol

Thinking of a new challenge for 2013.

happy running all,

• I'm a self confessed Streaking addict and enjoy the structure it brings to my running, as well as a higher resistance to illness - so far!  My 2nd streak was 700 days old yesterday; my first was ended by a leg injury after 1315 days.

• Cant you get locked up for streaking ??

• Well done swittle....just off for my 3+ mile run to complete my year long streak

Here's the current streak list, I note I am a mere neophyte !!

http://runeveryday.com/lists/USRSA-Active-List.html

• lol @ carterusm! 

slow improver - every Streak starts with a single run [with apologies to Mao Tse Tung]

• i started mine today ...after reading this thread....did 2.42km 

• Dobcrossdaz,

Go for it !! 

The difficulty now is working out when to stop...I promised myself I would stop after a year...but couldn't resist the urge to carry on today!

happy running all image

• Thanks Slow improver ...this thread gave me the motivation !!!! carry on running whats to lose

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

People ask me how many days, why, what would stop me and the like - their interest helps keep me going image

• ...i am up for a challenge ...only day 3 tho but all is well..Mrs DD things I have gone crazy

• DD,

Great.... keep it going. Day 3 year 2 here. Somehow it feels much easier second year round, though swittle would know more about that. 

All,

Any other 'run every day' posters out there??

happy running all 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

slow improver, I see what you mean about streaking becoming easier the more days you do it.  I tend to evaluate daily how I felt before, during & after my daily run - and I use the training log on Fetcheveryone.com [plug, plug] religiously, as well as my diary. 

• ...Year 2 SI wow...bet its hard to stop after you have done it for a year ...i am sure it will get easier as I go on . Day 4 done

• Well done to you all for doing this.

I am just curious though, do you have any races planned ? If so, I imagine you would need to do some tempo, intervals, hills, speedwork sessions as well as you easy runs ? If you are doing speed sessions do you not get tired ? Does this not lead to overtarining ?

• Hi Carterusm i only have a 10 k Bupa Manchester run booked in May which should be east enough. Will up my runs in March April for that ...so speed sessions for me at the minute

• Day 378 - 40 weeks today image

Carterusm,

No races planned. Did just one last year, not got round to entering any. I try to mix it between slow and steady short runs (which I count as my 'rest') and moderately quick longer runs. On average I look for running at least 1  x5k and 1 10k timed & measured run per month to keep the speed and the interest! 

Dobc 

How's it going?

happy running all image