2012 in review

So shamelessly stolen from every other thread in the Forum...

Totals
Highlights
Lowlights
Summary

I'll kick it off...

Totals

• 87.5 mi swam
  • 3010 mi biked
  • 906.15mi run
  • 384:38 training time

Highlights

• Outlaw Ironman distance triathlon. (12h52)
  • Wokingham HM performance. (98min PB)
  • Vachery sprint tri: 3rd in AG.

Lowlights

• Not cracking sub 20min for 5km. image
  • Love Life, Love Running festival 10km XC;  not fully recovered from IM. I now know I cannot use a race as a training run. I should have sat and watched.
  • Spraining ankle 4 weeks before Cardiff half-mara. I didn't even bother going.

Summary

A cracking year, that would not have been possible without the help and belief of a load of new friends called the Pirates. Normality is now skewed so much that I believe anything is possible.

• Qualify for GB AG team for sprint tri distance - either the Worlds 2013 or Europeans 2014.
  • Sub 90 for HM on the back of training for the above qualifiers.

Comments

• was thinking about this last night

Totals
    Highlights
    Lowlights
    Summary

Totals

no idea.don't keep records.but not enough

Highlights...........finishing the double ironman and coming 2nd out of the 7 females a bonus.....

snowdon marathon in the sunshine
    sleepwalker 20 mile race in the dark in the beacons in the most appalling weather.....and coming 1st female as the others got lost with the navigation

Lowlights.

Knee injury during a 50 mile ultra in march mucking up my running all year

Summary

a year without racing much at all but5 took 4 months off nerarly to recover fully from the double,,,,,,,,,,,,the highlight of the year has to be the double ironman

now its time to get going again and will do a fast ironman time at Outlaw and then will go to IMW in September and smash that bike course

• fairly simple for me

Highs :
    Meeting lots of lovley pirates at Outlaw
    Going to the Velodrome at the Olympics and seeing two British gold medal winning performances
    Crossing the finish line at the Challenge Henley Half - and promptly crying like a girl as I couldn't believe I'd done it  image

Lowlights
    DNF at Wokingham Half when my hip seized up
    Laryngitis 3-4 weeks before Henley, when I thought I wan't going to be able to get to the start let alone the finish.

The Full Challenge Henley is on the cards  - well if the council and organizers agree a bike route that is image
    PB at Brighton Mara - though I'm tri training rather than run training this year, but I'm sure it'll happen image

All in all, 2012 was fantastic, and I hope 2013 will be even better image

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

150ish miles swimming

3500ish miles bike

1000ish miles running

Happy with my 11.37 at Outlaw.

Looking forward to Lanza.

• Totals of approx 107km swum, 560 miles cycled and 360 miles plodded, mainly as run/walk.

Highlight was meeting loads of pirates at The Outlaw where I did 2/3 as relay, borrowing a tent and camping for the first time in decades. I have found a great osteopath and physio team who are sorting my injury/muscle inbalances out.

Lowlight, lower back and hip seizing up at Outlaw resulting in marathon PW of 7:05, and a family bereavement.

Summary - could do better and be more consistent with training.

Looking forward to 2013, 3 races entered.

• Totals;
    Oh they're in some computer or other. Less than I ought to have done but more than I could have done.

Highlights;
    - Lovely wife completing her first Iron distance at Outlaw. Filled me with pride image.
    - Completing IM Wales in a vaguely respectable fashion.
    - Spending so much of my summer cycling round in the glorious countryside.

Lowlights:
    - Getting to the top of the hill at New Hedges in IM Wales and realising I had to do it another three times
    - Missing the entry deadline for both Outlaw 2013 and IM UK 2013, leaving me without an event for next year

Summary:
    There are worse hobbies. I'm smiling.

• Highlights - three trips over Alpe D'Huez

Lowlights - broken collar bone & ankle operation which essentially wiping out the last six months

2013 - half distance

2014 - going loooong.
  • Totals - errm ... quite a lot, for me

Highlights 

• first mara (Brighton), then second (Mablethorpe)
    • storming PB at GNR without really trying
    • getting inspired to do Tri by Holg's and Chrissie's books, then by meeting pirates at Outlaw
    • first tri (Oly at Ripon) then HIM at Newby Hall
    Lowlights - none, actually, its been a great year! Summary - Learning I like longer and I like training plans 2013 - Blackpool Mara, Outlaw, then maybe 300 club (army fitness assessment). If I'm really lucky, OH gets into running, too image
  • SlowerTIL, dont fancy IM Wales then? I missed IMUK and didn't fancy Outlaw again so plumped for  Wales

• I'd more than happily do IMW again, FF, despite saying in the aftermath of this year's race that I'd never do it again image. But it doesn't fit with other diary commitments for 2013 so I need to do an earlier race. Thinking about Alpe D'Huez, IM Switzerland and a couple of others. Any views on them?

• Adh is on my bucket list, long bike short run.

Single Enduroman? cheap as well

• single enduroman..........brilliant but be careful that after doing it you aren't dragged down a dark and dangerous pathimage

• All the best everyone for 2013.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Forestman ? Watch the video's on YouTube.

• Go to Switzerland STIL, although there are only 100 places left.

I have no idea of totals as I only kept them long enough to record on our own competition board.

Highlights:
    PB half marathon time and feeling there was massively more in my tank.
    Finishing outlaw in only my second ever triathlon, the first being 3 weeks earlier.
    The pirate experience before, during and post Outlaw simply blew me away. 

Lows:
    Picking up injury after injury from just before outlaw until my latest torn calf muscle
    Limping round Dublin marathon (torn calf) on a day when most of my running buddies smashed their PBs

Goals for 2013:
    Two half IMs
    IMCH
    Two marathons
    My first sprint tri, which scares me more than the rest.

• Totals

• No idea I don't keep a training log

Highlights

• Double Ironman - despite not finishing it was a great experience and one I would never regret doing. Cannot thank the pirates and my support crew enough - the support, encouragement and enthusiam is really something special
    • Cycling to Barcelona - an amazing experience. It totally changed my view about the mental aspect of endurance. I saw people who were far less fit than me acheive amazing things. I saw people who were fast and fit but still pushed themselves to the limit and, last but not least, I realised my body can do a lot more than I ever thought.

Lowlights

• Suffering fatigue through overttraining. I spent a week in a complete state of exhaustion, feeling like I was just dragging myself around and wanting to sleep all the time. It was very debilitating and very scary .

• I can't wait to do Enduroman again and I have no doubt that, this time, I will become a Double Ironman.
  • righty - totals 
    ran - 1736
    biked - 3034.5
    swam -  224.5
    plus a bit of spinning and rowing to make a total of 5000.05 miles travelled in (627:29:57 h:mimage with weighs and other bits)

highs

• keeping most of the weight i lost the previous year off
    • meeting even more piratey types - not just pirates but the whole community 

• doing my first ultra 10 days after the outlaw - 70 miles of wind,rain and thinking time - and got a 6th place!
    • and of course the Outlaw, even with a slightly disappointing result it gave me the insight to believe that anything is possible
    • getting PB after PB - truly amazed to get so many
    • no injuries 
    • inspired a couple of people at the gym to try a bit harder

Lows

• over training and melting down before the outlaw
    • gaining a bit of weight over christmas
    • still not being able to get nutrition sorted - both in race and life

• trying to break the 40 minute 10k
    • enduroman double - we will do it Purpleimage
    • first 100 mile run - South Downs Way 100 - would love to do it in 24 hours for the buckle image
    • get my revenge at the Outlaw, want sub 12
    • Thunder Run solo 
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Totals

6000 miles cycled, 543 miles swum, 275 miles running

Highlights

Despite starting the year injured and only able to swim, actually managing to compete in 2 x Olys and 1 HIM distance image

Learning to ski

Finishing the 214 Wainwrights

Fantastic cycling holiday in NZ

Lowlights

Just my ongoing chronic injuries....but they are part of my life nowimage

Staying out of trouble

Races are a bonus...

• D0MD0M ✭✭✭

Highs:-

Brighton Marathon (2nd fastest marathon).

Inspired by Olympics to take up cycling and then triathlon.

Completing the OW swim of my first tri (oly) after only 11 swim sessions (I was bricking it before as had only managed 375m non stop beforehand)

The feel of `racing` on the bike leg of said tri.

Coming out of T2 on said tri and feeling like i was running really slow, only to find after half mile, Garmin said i was doing 7 min mile pace.

All the lovely new tri gear i`ve bought this year to get me going in this sport.

Lows:-

Not being able to stand up out of the water after said swim (kept falling left LOL).

All the lovely new tri gear i`ve bought this year to get me going in this sport (wife`s   perspective).

The two colds i`ve just had. Last three weeks, only 2 training sessions.

2013:-

PB at Brighton Marathon (current PB was set 10 years ago).

First HIM at Outlaw.

Loads more Tri`s

New 10k PB (again, PB is over 10 years old).

Iron distance swim at Arun River Race.

• Totals

Loads

Highlights

Surrey rides, Saffers' club sprint tri, club fun swimming gala, PB mara sub 5 (shit time but fun day out). Cabbage Patch 10, Cambridge tri, pirate support/piss taking

Lowlights

• DNF at Outlaw
    • Cold urticaria/angiodema has come back with a vengeance
    • IM ban from the Cardiologistimage

Summary

Ho hum, blessed that still allowed to compete shorter distances.

• Shorter and faster. Lose the gut, tune the swim, up the run pace.
    • Run some Surrey rides for those in need of helpful training.
    • Be a sadistic bastard (see above)
    • Get back to having a laugh rather than slogging out stoopid, painful 75 miles
    • Go back to 10 mile TTs and break 30 mins (yeah, laugh)
    • Try and get me back fixed a bit.
    • See if I can nail a Half IM bike and keep me toe down without drugs (see above)
    • Think of ways to get around Cardios ban.

And catch up with a few on here from time to time.

• Totals

No Idea

Highlights

Ironman Wales
    Manchester Marathon
    Pirate DIY Half IM (What a great laugh with great mates)
    Feed station at Outlaw, great laugh again and great to see so many Pirates
    Beating the wife at Stockport 10 to retain the Hayter Trophy

Lowlights

See the wife knacker her back and only manage to Outlaw as a relay
    Getting the FLU 3 weeks before Christmas
    Having to pull out the double IM

Still undecided

• Totals

Running 1300miles (thiis actually surprised me)

Highlights

Amsterdam marathon. Knocked another 16 mins off and ran a "perfectly paced"  race , which is giving me the confidence to know that I can put up with more pain than I think (will be needed for Outlawimage)

And reading so much inspirational stuff from you guys on here just makes me realise that I can do more.

Outlaw Half and full (gulp)                                                                       Florence Marathon                                                                                         and hopefully a sub 2 half mara in February

Have fun everyone

• Totals

no idea - leave that to the stats nerds

Highlights

none on racing

qualifying for BTF RTO official status so I can now ref open water events

Lowlights

being injured most of the year with PF which has curbed my training and made it miserable to race (when I have)

a few events lined up and lots of reffing

• Totals

Swim - 104k

Bike - (Only got one in April) - Good start at - 1285 - This will improve

Run - 1264m - chuffed over my 1200m target

Highlights

3:40 marathon, 1:36 half 

Going from being unable to swim 2 lenghts FC to 4k

Lowlights

not sure... bike hurts

Outlaw

Same Oct marathon under 3:30 and Half under 1:30 - did i just put that on paper......

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Totals

Haven't a clue!

Highlights

The DIY Half IM - what a fab weekend with a fab bunch of mates!

Getting my new bike

Watching Jordy's shorts fall down as we all ran down the Finishers chute at the Outlaw!

Getting a place at IM Florida 2013

Lowlights

Worrying if i would have to pull out of the Outlaw after suffering with a trapped nerve in my back.  

IM Florida

• Totals

B 3300m, R 756m, S 179,000m

Highs

Coming back from injury and completing the Fritton tri, with no run training in 10 weeks.

Completing the Monster middle despite having a meltdown on the run.  2hrs 19 half marathon was not my happiest run.  But I felt really proud to have finished when others dropped in the heat.

Viking double olympic in September.  Really cold day but ran really strong after freezing 3K swim and arctic 52m bike.

Lows

Missing January to April with hip flexor tendonitus and hamstring trouble.

Dropping out of the Norwich half marathon mid way through the training with a calf tear and more hamstring trouble.

The Outlaw.  First 140.6 and I'm crapping myself!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Totals:

Running - don't know
    Cycling - over 1,300 miles (don't you love Garmin Connect?)

Highs:

Getting a road bike and starting to ride, doing three (well two and a half) sportives.

Discovering that there is NEVER a queue for the ladies' loos at bike events! 

Lows:

Falling off the bike and crunching my shoulder during the third sportive!

More riding, and more running.  I'm planning to do an event a month for the year.

• Highs

Meeting some great people

Being at SA's DIY Half

Watching my best mate Horse finish Outlaw.

Lows

Coming off my bike and breaking my leg 24 weeks into the Fink plan for Outlaw and wrecking my season.

SA's DIY Half in May

Ribby Hall sprint

Outlaw

And others to be decided