RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Quiet on here.... Where is everyone?...... image

• Sunday is a day of rest ?
  • Tempo run later - 15 mins easy, 15 mins @ 7:45 (or as near that as possible), 15 mins easy
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Morning all. Busy day yesterday. Took the kids to visit Tower Bridge in the morning and meet their cousins who were in London for the day; took in the football match at Loftus Road in the afternoon and collected the OH from the airport last night.

Had to go into work this morning image but hoping to get away around lunchtime as have got friends coming round for dinner and New Year celebrations later (plus kids) so loads to do.

Spoons - good advice re balancing the running with what can fit around family life.I am settling on a schedule that does the following :

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Tempo

Wednesday - Easy Run

Thursday - Intervals

Feiday - Rest

Saturday - LSR

Sunday - Easy / Recovery

The plan this week is to get going on this, starting tomorrow,. Tomorrows run will be about 40 / 45 mins.

Looking to cover about 36 -38 miles this week.

Best wishes for the New Year to everyone. image

• Loftus Road ? Ouch !!

• The plan is looking good. What sort of times/distances do you intend to run for the different sessions ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I was in the away supporters end so came away happy for once !!

Just finalising my plan but what I am looking at is as follows :

Tempo runs will start at 45 mins and build up to 60 / 70 minutes. Looking to start and finish these easy with a build up to near 10k Pace (7:40) in the middle. Will probably try to start these around 8:00 mm and over a number of weeks get it down to 7:40 mm.

Midweek easy runs will rise to 10miles and stay there to the taper. (Have been doing 5 - 7.5 miles during the last few weeks).

Interval sessions will be based on 800 m at faster than MP and in line with the Yasso 800 principles. SO need to be doing these in 3:45 as that is my target marathon time. Will jog/walk for 400m between each repeat.

I am going to do the LSR on a Saturday building up from my current 12 miles to do 3 x 20 miles. The principle will be 3 weeks building up the mileage, a week stepback and then 3 weeks building up the milegae again. I probably will not do the 20 milers back to back but need to see how this pans out with Paris being on 7th April and with the HM that I have planned. I will do these at 9:30 - 10:00 pace depending on how I feel.

I will then do a 6 mile easy / recovery run on a Sunday and will aim to do these at 10:00 + pace.

Need to get all this into my spreadsheet and check that the miles build nicely.

Got friemds and their kids coming for dinner early evening and I am the chef for big meals like these so will be busy for the rest of today which should lead nicley into New Year.

I will be out there tomorrow come what may.

How did you get on with your tempo run today ?image

• That's looking good Carl.

The missus is off to work shortly so I will be going out then. The tempo run will only be for 15 mins, surrounded by 15 warm up and 15 cool down, due to a) i felt a bit of pain in my knee and ankle after my run on saturday. Rested yesterday snd feels ok today b) I've never done a tempo run before so not really sure how I will react c) I can't recall the last time I ever ran at 7:45 if I ever have at all and d) I have recently consumed copious amounts of mince pies, kebabs and magners so anything could happen out there !!

Away end eh, only just slightly better than being in the home end at the moment image Have a good evening and new year and enjoy your run tomorrow.
  • Hope the tempo run goes OK. Knee and ankle pain - how bad is it?

Carl - schedule looks sensible and good.

Happy New Year! image

• Well, I'll go to the bottom of our stairs.....

Spoons - how could I have ever doubted you. ? I split the run into warm up, tempo run and cool down sessions. The warm up split came in at 9:20 but that was quite a steep downhill so ok. The cool down came in at 9:48 which was up the warm up section so still too quick really. The tempo run came in at 7:53 over the 15 minute split. Bearing in mind that I didnt hear my watch change into the tempo split until about 1 minute into it and the last 2 minutes I struggled a bit I am rather happy with the speed of 7:53. The main consideration is how my body has been abused with food and drink the last couple of weeks so all in all a good start ? The links of the run are below. Can you confirm you can see the Garmin link now as I have changed my settings. The Strava link doesnt show my splits only by mile so if the Garmin one is ok I will post that from now on.

Garmin - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/256316260

Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/34985711

The ankle feels fine now. I suspect I just twisted it slightly on an uneven surface on my Saturday run. I strapped my knee up and that also feel ok now so things are looking good image

How was your 10k ?

• No privileges on the Garmin link. Great tempo run well done.

10km run was mega windy but fun. 47:11 so miles off where I used to be but shows my big comeback is looming image

• Cool. I may ask you to be my pacer for the first half of Manchester then image

According to MacMillan your rubbish time today is over 1 minute quicker than my expected 10k time based on my HM ! image

Right, try this link again if you would; it looks like you have to unlock each run as well as change your settings in your profile - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/256316260

Cheers

• Woohoo it works image

however I'm too drunk to read it image

• Tut tut Mr Spoons, not a good example to be setting your pupil image

Planned rest day for me today, my ankle has a bit of a dull ache. Today's activities will see me polish off all the festive food in the cupboards and the traditional Chinese takeaway this evening. That's it then, on the healthier eating wagon and cutting back the booze to just Saturdays. A couple of questions:

1) My medium runs planned for Wednesdays - I was thinking of starting those tomorrow at 10 miles. Is that ok and do I need to increase the length of this run over the weeks ?

2) I have got 8 x 800 intervals planned for Thursday (@ 7:30mpm I think). What should I do between each interval ? Steady jog, walk, stop ? And for how long ?

I hope your hangover isn't too bad, are you getting out for a trot today ?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Feeling a bit tired this morning after a very late night with friends.

Going to attempt my tempo run within the hour so here goes ...

• Just back from 7 miles easy on the trails. Lovely day for it image

Medium long run - I would start around 8 miles rather than 10 and gradually build up to around 12 at the end of March. Sometimes less is more....

intervals - I thought it was 8 x 400 not 800? 8 x 800 is a big session. I would do 8 x 400m with 1 minute standing still or walking between them. If you are starting to struggle half way through then take 2 minutes in the middle after the 4th rep.

• Ok Spoons, you're the boss ! So, the rest of the week looks like this.

Wednesday - 8 miles easy

Thursday - intervals 8 x 400

Saturday - LSR 16 miles

Sunday - 6 miles easy

Will I increase the length and amount of the intervals as we progress ?
  • Re: intervals, you can increase the quantity, or increase the length, or reduce the recovery, or increase the speed. Or mix it up a bit. So - maybe do 8 x 800s one week, then 12 x 400s the next week, then 4 x mile reps the next week. The truth is it doesn't really matter than much. Mixing it up is good to keep things interesting and they all push you in slightly different ways. 

• Ok. Will see how it goes on Thursday and take it from there.

The cupboards are now bear and the Chinese consumed, I have definitely been eating for the sake of eating the last couple of days. Just a couple of magners left and that will be me in the wagon for January.

Looking forward for the real training to begin.
  • Yep, we've just finished off the last of the cheese, chocolate and biscuits. I've had a couple of farewell beers. Back to work tomorrow, and in serious training.

• Hi Carterusm and Spoons! Have ambled over to see what you guys are up to!!! image

• And are you suitably impressed ???
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Had some Christmas Pudding after my run today. It was nice image

Anyway once I got our running today it was great eventhough it did feel odd starting slow knowing I was going to go faster.

And I probably went a little too fast but will judge this better next time.

The route I used meant that I covered just over 6 miles in 52:33.

My average splits for these were :

Mile 1 -  9:28

Mile 2 - 8:49

Mile 3 - 6:57

Mile 4 - 7:29

Mile 5 - 8:40

Mile 6 - 9:37

I was using the manual lap time on my sportswatch amd keeping an eye on my instant pace but clearly not close enough.

This broke down into 3 and a bit sections as follows :

1. Easy - 1.69mi 16:01min 9:25/mile

2. Fast - 2.22mi 16:00min 7:12/mile

3. Easy - 1.88mi 17:00min 9:02/mile

4. Easier - 0.37mi 3:32min 9:22/mile

When I was moving at pace I do remember thinking that it was getting harder but then I was on an incline but do not remember seeing the watch at anything much under 7:30/mile instant pace.

At least this means that as I push out the distance in the 'fast' section and reduce the easy sections in time back to 10mins that I should be able to maintain a good pace.

8 miles easy after work tomorrow night !!

• Nice one Carl. I found my tempo run yesterday quite comfortable, the speed section I mean. I didn't think I could go that fast to be honest so that's a nice confidence booster. How did it feel for you, do you think you will be able to go faster on your interval runs ?

And in my limited experience I would say to you that you should slow down on your easy sections !! image Do you find it easy/hard running that slow ? Most of my LSR runs are off road so are run at least 10:00 m/m so I need to start running some of them on Tarmac where I suspect I will struggle to go that slow ! Good stuff anyway, keep it up
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Yeah - the speed section of the run was not that difficult. Probably because I like some speed. I did find the initial slower section hard as I was wondering if I would be able to change pace. I have been used to ruuning at pace from the off. After the speed section I just let the speed come off itself and looking at the mile splits I think it looks ok but when I look at it split into sections I did not slow down enough.

Clearly something to work on.

I must admit that around 9:30 mm is about as slow as I can run. Anything slower and I think I am walking !!

All my running other than intervals will be on roads / footpaths as I live in London.

I am going to do the intervals on the Parliment Hill running track under floodlights in the evenings.

I need to have a look at what I am meant to do on the intervals. I think I said I was going to do 800m reps so am probably trying to do these at about 7:00 mm pace. I think this week I will aim for 4 and try to build them up to 8 during February.

I am going to go for it but suspect it will be a little tougher.

On these tempo runs I am gong to stretch out the fast section over the next few weeks to about 30 mins so will need to keep this at about 7:30 if I am not to pass out.

Keep up the good work.

• Morning Spoons - is there any benefit in me adding some MP running into my midweek medium (8-12 miles) runs ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Good morning. Office is very sleepy today.

Interested to hear what Spoons has to say re your above.

Suspect that with the tempo run on a Tuesday and the intervals on a Thursday, the medium run in between needs to be nice and easy.

I am probably going to add some MP running into the LSR's during February just to get used to running at MP.

• Hi Carl. Same here, the office is still pretty quiet as a lot of people have taken the rest of the week off.

I agree with what you think Spoons will say re the midweek run. Every time I look at my plan I seem to have a question so I might as well ask it, the worse he can do is laugh at me !! When is Paris ?

• Morning Carterusm! Yep...seems you have some good stuff going on here too.. image Will be lurking with interest!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

When is Paris ?

Paris is on 7th April so a few weeks before you do your run in Manchester.