Running after giving birth

Hi everyone

I am 38 and have been running regularly (approx 15 miles per week) for the past 3 years (NY resolution from 2010!).

I had a baby boy just under 6 weeks ago and I'm itching to return to running. I was advised to stop running in the first few weeks of my pregnancy and although I ran a little in the middle and kept walking and doing pilates right through, I know I have lost a lot of fitness.

I had a good birth with no residual problems. I've found a lot of conflicting advice - some people are saying I should wait 6 months (!) before starting again, others say it's ok now as long as I listen to my body. I've never been fast and wasn't planning on returning immediately to club running or intensive training, just starting out with some walk/run and seeing how it goes.

What do you think?

Comments

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Congrats.  I'm +1 for what KK has said, listen to your body.  I was 11 days after birth (not c section)

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

You need to be careful and build up slowly as your ligaments are softer than normal due the baby.  If you are breastfeeding, you will stay softer for longer.  That said, I was also itching to get back to it after I had my baby (I was keen to feel like 'me' again).  I couldn't run during pregnancy as it made me feel dizzy so although I kept active, I lost all my running fitness.

Just start easy and build up really slowly.  I think I started slowly after my 6 week check up.  To give you an idea, I had my baby in Jan and I did a mini triathlon in May, 10k in June, Olympic distance tri in July and half marathon in August and Oct.

Good luck and dont be hard on yourself, just enjoy runs as 'time off' image