Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Hey Mel....I hope you had a nice Christmas. good luck on your 2nd week of training. I hope the new trainers aren't giving you any problems! image

• Happy Christmas Mel, hope you had a great one! Any cool running presents? image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Mel, I hope you and your girls got through what must have been a very emotional Christmas. Have been thinking about you and hope you are ok.

How has the running been going?

• Off the ball and been super quiet!! ...I knew it would be a tough week emotionally  but I think the only way of describing it is ' pants'.....!!! I have run when i have had to but other than that I think just existed....however.....I'm back.....and stopped all this feeling sorry for myself nonsense......!......

• glad to see you back mel......must have been a hard week.....what have you got in store running wise for this week.......are you running today or rest day

• Morning Mel, Sorry to hear it's been so tough ... well done on getting through this week and getting all your runs done too. xx

• Its not been the easiest, but to be expected....every one told me it would be pants....!!

Thank you for all the 'gel' advice...I thought raspberry cement was my only option.....I have now bought a selection of bits to try......they do all look pretty gross though...!...will be interesting to see how they work....Ill probably find one that is palatable and then loose the wrapper..!!

Accel- good to hear from you....I hope you are training hard for trail walker...???....I do believe I will be slowing you down on that one!!....image

And Ady.....I'm sure you look beautiful in Lycra....just don't listen to the children jibbing at you......!! they are just jealous...honest...!image

• Heres the run down for the emotionally unstable Week 2 –

Monday

3mile jog – pace 11:15 – 12:15

Slow mooch…not a particularly inspiring route, although used the time to try lengthening my stride and concentrating on form. Struggled to keep the pace between 11:15 and 12:15 so averaged out between 11 and 11:40. 

3.18 miles – 34.02mins

Tuesday – Christmas

Swapped my rest days! ...my children would have lynched me if I went out today....Should have been doing a 5 Mile build up 

Wednesday

5 Mile Build up – (From 10:30 – 9:30)

Ohh I needed to get out…could have run forever today. Found it hard to stick to a schedule when all I wanted to do was thrash it out over the South Downs! But I was very good and stuck to the plan…trying to keep the route fairly flat and neutral so I can concentrate on pace. Enjoyed the build up and stuck to it to…. although maybe a little slower when turned into the wind along the sea front and almost got blown away!!.... Why was every one looking so happy!!! Grrrr….image

5.1 miles – 48.55 mins

Thursday

I mile comfortable, 3 acceleration strides 5x 2 mins @ 7.20 – 7.35

2. 5 min jog in-between followed by 1 mile comfortable

I got my days mixed up and thought today was a rest day…only realized as I was settling down to get comphy for the evening that I had goofed up….!! So out I went!!.... even the dog was miffed with me!!.....( at least it wasn’t raining!!)

Not the easiest session on a deserted airfield with a friendly cocker spaniel as protection from the goolies….

The speed splits were fairly consistent considering my mind was on wine and a film….

2mins speed @ 0.29/0.26/0.27/0.26/0.26miles…The pace wasn’t as per plan….I just didn’t have it in me!!! 

Friday

3 Miles comfortable – (10:15 – 11:15)

A comfortable mooch along the seafront. Able to concentrate on form and extending my stride again. Tried out my new trainers that Asics had kindly sent…thumbs down…no good…just don’t feel right, pain in my left foot this time!!!......Wahhhhhimage

3.09 – 30.33 mins

Saturday – Rest

Sunday – 8 miles steady (9:15 – 10:15) As per plan I stuck to a flat terrain so I could maintain a steady pace. Seemed to naturally maintain a pace of 9:30, which I stuck to throughout. Back to my good old Brooks trainers!!....

No a splash of mud this week….what’s going on…I need to change that for next week before I become bored of pavement running!!!.....

8 miles – 1hour 16 mins

It’s been an odd week, I think maybe as emotionally I have been struggling that as come out in the routes I have chosen to run. I feel I have run this week because the plan has said so rather than running to clear my head and have a good cry!!.....I’m looking forward to the week ahead and putting enthusiasm back into my running with a bit of mud and some hills….!!image

• Santa loves bacon wrote (see)

Happy Christmas Mel, hope you had a great one! Any cool running presents? image

Hey Steve.....yeh I gave my girls some of the bits we got from the Ascis store and made them give them to me for christmas!!!!.....it was exciting all over again!!!.....Hope you were a spoilt boy!!!.....image

• great going to get those runs in............I did say on the general competition thread......if you have had no problems with your shoes in the past i would be reluctant to change them at the start of a marathon campaign..........I know they do the gait anaylsis and everything and I'm sure if you were having problems it would really help............

but i have always believed if it ain't broke don't mend it...image

good luck for this week

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mel -  well done on every level. I just can't begin to imagine..............

Great idea to give the girls the running kit to wrap. I think the most important thing in any marathon campaign is to get out there and do it when you don't want to. Having the RW/Asics team providing the plan takes away the 'what can I be bothered to do' feeling and means you have to. It still takes great discipline to do it though!

Everyone on here is right behind you and we all know you will do your family proud on 7 April.

• hey seren...I totally agree, and have a new pair of lovely brooks adrenalin waiting for me to pick up as we speak...!!.....I will still plug away with the Asics in the hope......you never know.....and the store once again have been fab!!!

Thank you DS2....Your right the plan gives you the disciplin to get out there,  but I missed the spontinaity this week.....but its a good trade off!!!.....off to hit the mud and the hills tomorrow though...!! What have you got planned this week??.....

• The weather forecast says dry tomorrow so i will hopefully get out for a couple of hours on the bike......i don't mind running in the rain but hate cycling in the rain........swan and ran this morning so training is ticking over well for me

I always run in asics both my road shoes and trail shoes are asics and i love them.......but I always think that at the beginning of marathon training is a strange time to change.....image

• Oh dry!!!.....not like today then!!!.....Sounds like you are busy with your training.....whats your pending goal...??.....yes I agree a strange time to change trainers, but the competition wasnt with Brooks...!!image

• Plan for this week...had a bit of a change and swapped todays 4 mile comfortable to tomorrow as a group of us are going out to play!!.....

Week 3 w/c 31st December
    Monday 4 MILE COMFORTABLE + 3 ACCEL STRIDES
    Tuesday REST (HANGOVER ACCEPTABLE!)
    Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 3 X 8 MINS FAST INTERVALS WITH 90 SEC JOG RECOVERY. 1 MILE JOG (5 MILES)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 5 MILE HILLY
    Saturday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Sunday 11 MILE COMFORTABLE
    MILEAGE 25

• Good to see you're making progress Mel.

I believe that Asics 2160 are very similar to the Brooks Adrenaline.  They changed the design with 2170 image, but I have been able to buy 2160's in the sales during the week - so they are still available (and they do a 2E width too).

It annoys me that shoe manufacturers change the shoes every damn year.  I'd buy the same model year in and year out - if I was able to image.  I don't understand the mentality, because sooner or later they will alienate existing customers with an unpopular change.

• Happy New Year Mel. Excellent work on getting all your runs done, considering how tough it has been for you. Very inspiring indeed. Good luck on your week 3 training. I hope you're enjoying your rest day today. 

• Oh Tenjiso you sound like the lovely running man I buy all my shoes from!!!.....is your name secretly Geoff...?? image

Hi Ady....Happy New year to you to my lovely!!!!....Hope you have been out pounding the streets in your Lycra...!!image

• Haha......I've been wearing nothing but lycra the past week or so......definitely makes me more aerodynamic..........but I still have to wear a running jacket to keep my modesty! image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    melaniejayne wrote (see)

....is your name secretly Geoff...?? 

Possibly.... if it's so secret that nobody informed me. image  Wouldn't be the first time I've discovered a family secret in an Eastenders Christmas Special stylee image

• /members/images/700233/Gallery/mel-feet1_0.jpg

Well that was a sightly muddier run than expected!!!!image

• ooooh Tenjiso.....im loving the eastenders family secrets...!!! who needs a soap when you can spill the beans for us!!!...

• Hey Mel,

Just been having a catch up on your thread and you're doing so well through such a tough time - really inspiring stuff and I'm so pleased you've got a smile back on your face.

Wow, mega probs with the shoes then! What a shame - as Seren says, perhaps it is better to just stick with what you know for now. Better that than force yourself to change to something you're not so comfortable with and inure yourself as a result...

• Oh my goodness, Mel!! What colour did the trousers start out at? I can't tell whether the black is mud or the cream? Eek! Hope you've got an industrial strength washing machine!! image

• Happy New Year Mel - have been thinking of you and glad you had your girls with you for mutual support at this tough time.

Also good to see your mud splattered clothing - I get the sense you are more at home on the trails and hills - and will definitely bear that in mind... though we have to remember the streets of Paris are made of tarmac, and a few cobblesimage

Hope week 3 has helped you get your mojo back - you've got your hilly run tomorrow and Sunday's long run is fine to take off road. Have just been off-roading myself quite a lot - in the wilds of Scotland. No mobile phone signal or wifi for 5 whole days over New Year. Blissimage

• Hi Melanie

Congratulations on the forum so far and what an inspiration you will be for so many people on this forum. My name is Ruth and I am the Asics Pro Team Dietitian. I have worked with athletes now for 12 years from young developing athletes to Olympic level athletes and enjoy the challenges that sports nutrition brings; research continues to move at a  pace, but often getting the basics right will have the greatest results throughout training and on on race day. Good nutrition will benefit immunity, motivation and recovery. A sucessful race day is dependant on a well practiced nutrition plan.

In regards  the gels you can use jelly sweets instead: jelly babies, beans etc they do the same job. The gels are good in regards they are nicely foiled wrapped and won't get stickly in your bumbag/pockets especially in Paris as it could be hot. Have you tried an isotonic gel (ones with some water added)  such as isogels by High Five or GO by a company called science in sport

Please feel free to post typical daily food and drink consumption, including meal & snack times as well as sleeping and training times. Also include any recent dietary changes.

You are in safe hands with Sam. I look forward to see how your journey will progress over the coming few months. I tend to come onto the forums a couple of times  a week (likely to be Monday & Thursday) and try to answer all nutrition questions.

Great as always to have the support of everyone posting on forums.

Ruth

• Hello Mel,congratulations on making it to the final fiveimage I am just catching up with your forum and looking forward to following your progress. Love the muddy clothing pic, I suspect there will be more to comeimage 

• Hello Ruth

Good to see you here.

Mel, Ruth is your woman for any nutrition/hydration queries - she makes it all sound like good plain common sense instead of baffling science image

I think it's fair to say you're going to need something other than water once you get to the much longer runs, and the race itself. And I am not talking about G&Ts, eitherimage

• Hi Sam- good to hear from you...Have to say Im pleased 2012 is over!!!......Scotland sounds amazing!!!!....Running and no contact with the outside world!!!..Bliss.....Dont worry although I love the hills and trails, Im still pounding on tarmac!!.....Todays run was lovely over the Downs.....with a camel back for the first time and a gel which wasnt like cement..!!....although had to take it as if it was medicine.....I will try jelly beans....santa gave me some...!! Cant believe we are about to start week 4!!!!!

Hi Ruth- Lovely to hear from you!!.....any input is amazing....I am like a sponge just wanting to soak up all the information....I'm sure I will pick your brains many times!!...I will try the jelly beans next time I have a longer run, ( how often would I take them??) I also have a selection of gels ect now for my longer runs that I am trying.....coconut water post run??? what are your thoughts on that??.....

Hello mad welsh woman!!!.....Thank you!!!.....I would think coming from Wales you would be used to muddy clothing!!!!......

Steve - Sorry takes me a while to get back......thats why Im in the busy life style catagory.....image The shoes....??? well I have just been sent another pair......GT2000 as recommended by my lovely local running shop......so fingers crossed....( although I have also bought another pair of my favourite Brooks...).....Have to say I love the photo of you on Twitter of your very tight running attire!!!!....Its the look on your face which makes me laugh the most!!!!......

Sarah.....They were supposed to be Black!!!......muddiest run I have done for a while!!!....falling over twice didnt help!!.....image

• /members/images/700233/Gallery/melmeg.jpg

I got my little girl out for a run with me today!!!!!......( well maybe not quite so little...)