ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Happy New Year! I hope I'm not the only one sleeping for most of the morning today and suddenly becoming allergic to sunlight!

Carol........thanks very much.......normally when I have a photo taken I manage to push my chin into my neck making me look like I have at least 5 double-chins. It's nice this one isn't as bad as normal!

Have a great holiday Clive......glad you're taking your running shoes with you image

Jen....that seems like a good plan. Apart from Paris, my only other target is to do an ultra later in the year, once I've recovered from the Spring Marathon. I also want to run the Parkruns regularly this year so I can slo work on getting my 5km time down somewhere towards 20 mins. It'll be nice to at least beat my current PB at some point image

• hey hey hey! happy new year to you all!!

After a brilliant night out with my family last night, we are being lazy and watching up!

I too have decided against a spring marathon this year, although i intend to train for my 20 mile race as if it were a marathon! well tis only 6.2 miles short! Like jenf I intend to work on getting my pb' s down and then do an autumn marathon! 

• Ady, i was in bed until 10am....which is pretty late for me. Managed an 8.45 mile run out doors though...was nice to blow the cobwebs off and I feel so much more better now for doing itimage

• Happy new year everyone image Hope you all had a great one!

Ady's "only" target later in the year is to run an Ultra... oh, is that all then?? Nutcaseimage

I've never run a parkrun - didn't know they existed until I started coming on here - definitely something I want to get in to.

Good luck with the autumn maras Jen and Tigs - you'll do great image

Sarah, that's an impressive distance post NYE party!

• Happy new year!! 2012 has been AMAZING!! SO I reckon 2013 will be even better!!! image

Jenf - Ooh Snowdonia? That's meant to be an AMAZING one!! image

Ady - an Ultra? Surely TR24 can come under that heading ...?image Are you in? ARe you in?

Tigger - which Autumn one are you looking at? I did Liverpool last October which was fab!! The hill going up Parliament Street was a bugger though. But there were only 3,000 people in it and it ran pretty much like clockwork ... and LOADS of support!

Sarah - Me too! I really didn't want to do my 7 miler earlier but I'm so relieved that I did!! Definitely feel better for it now!

Bacon Steve - You have to have a go at a parkrun if there's one near you! They're fab!! Still sulking that Ady had a go at my home parkrun in Coventry when I wasn't there!image

• I keep on running out of time to pop on people's threads...please forgive me. Promise to say hi over the next few days. Had better go and talk to my OH now though who is sulking due to Newcastle loosing and me not speaking to him since getting home (due to being on here)!
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

RRR, yep, Snowdonia for me, sounds hard ..but fab. I'm just aiming to finish!

I agree Sarah, its really hard finding time to pop on all the different threads that are now up n running. I spend ages reading n catching up... then forget to actually post anything!!

I was back in the gym this eve on the wts.. some serious power cleans! I need to build stong legs.image

Hi Tigger image chosen a marathon yet? 

• RRR - yep, all ready to go for the Southend parkrun next Saturday. Can't wait to pop my cherry image

Sarah - I know, crazy isn't it?? Your thread looks like it is going really great though image I'm very guilty of the same thing... will do my best to spread myself a round a bit more.

Jen - was looking at some pics of the Snowdonia mara... It looks so beautiful - that's got to worth a mile or two just being distracted by the amazing scenery!!

• Im glad its not just me jen and steve image

• Hey!  Cant say for now which marathon, all kinda depends on where and what hubby is doing! At the minute i can't run as I have frozen neck and shoulder! muscles keep going into spasm!! image But jen watch this space image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    oh no! sorry to hear that tigger! hope it gets better quickly.

I had lovely 8 miler this morning with friends..just a comfy chatty runimage. long run planned morrow.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    Steve loves bacon wrote (see

Jen - was looking at some pics of the Snowdonia mara... It looks so beautiful - that's got to worth a mile or two just being distracted by the amazing scenery!!

LOL steve!  I think it means if I have to stop on a hill , I can say I stopped to look at the scenery!!!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Happy new year to you all!

It was anything but happy for me as I lay shivering in a pool of my own sweat. Having succumbed to the lurgie that my brother's family kindly cultivated for me over the Christmas period I have just discovered that 2013 only has 51 weeks - at least for me anyway.

On the plus side I have become a leading expert on mucus having been nasally incontinent for the best part of 7 days. Pictures to follow.

Anyway, the good news is I'm back! Well, almost. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am a man and as such it is my duty to make this sound as dramatic as possible. I could have DIED!

I have been cleared to begin integration back into society and In this day and age that starts online. So this forum is my first port of call.

I've had a good read through the threads but I will confess to some skimming. Sounds like our Asics champs are doing very well and Sarah also on the forum 6.

Jen - sorry you won't be running the GWR but great to hear you'll be there supporting!

Tigger - take it easy with that neck!

Re. TR24 - I still need all your details so I can enter the team. So that's name, DOB and T-shirt size (the Adidas race tee is excellent). Message me with this info and I'll get everything sorted.

Right, one post is enough - must re-integrate slowly.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Malcs, good to see you back imageimageimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jen - but OMG, in my half recovered haze I forgot to acknowledge you're doing SNOWDON!

Wow!
  • Good to see you back Malcs......and glad you are getting over that lurgy. As a fellow male of the species, I can confirm that anything that leaves you shivering in bed for more than a day is definitely life threatening!

I'm afraid I'm not in for the TR24 this year. image Congratulations on your new 5km PB. Excellent work. Hopefully Steve and I will be following in your footsteps next weekend when we do ours.

Tigger.......I hope the neck and shoulders are back to normal now.

Jen.....hopefully it stays dry for your long run today!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Shady, yep it stayed dry!

I didn't actually do as long a run as planned today, cos I went off road in the forest, and as usual got a bit lost. Did some wicked dunes, and eventually found my way out, but i'd only run 10miles by my garmin. My legs told me I'd run a lot more!!! so I called it a day. I loved it though image

Malcs, yep.. thought I'd up the challenge this year. I've always wanted to do Snowdon at least once, and I reckon I've not been fitter.. so I'm going for it! Just a finish will do!!

• its great to see that your still alive Malcs and survived the lurgy. Can I request no photos please....its the only thing I cant handle, sputum/phlegm/boggies really turns my stomach!
  • hope you feel better soon tigger.

jen, I always think trail runs are worth at least double road runs!
  • Jen....good luck with Snowdon and your off road run. Do you normally work off-road running into your training schedule? This is the first time I've been asked to do it, and certainly find it harder than running on pavement. As well as extra strengthening from the uneven surface, and less impact on the knees, are there any other benefits from off-road running? 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. I will put a hold on the photos Sarah. It sounds like you've been surrounded by the coughing brigade over the last week. I really hope you don't get it.

I put in some decent miles over Christmas but now I'll have to start building again. Can't see me doing anything until this crap is gone from my chest. That'll be another week at least I reckon.

Ady - another benefit of off road running is that it prepares you for next year's TR24image
  • Good to see you back Malcs! My thread hasn't been anywhere near as fun without your banter image

Glad you're on the road to recovery now mate - these women don't understand how much more we men suffer when we're ill. It's a totally different, super-strong strain of germs we get.

• Is it my computer? Or is this website running really slowly this evening??

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm struggling too. think i'll come back later. its driving me nuts its SO slow loading every page.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Lol Sarah.. I like it that off road is worth double points!

Shady, I always do some off road runs in any training plan, mainly because I enjoy it, I tend not to worry too much about pace, just run the distance I want to. I always feel really good after a trail run. Its def harder than roads, but my next road run then seems easy!!!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

sarah - I'm seriously thinking I might do this! Flat and fast and perfect time of year for me.

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭
    /members/images/471967/Gallery/2013.01.06.KFLMinnisBayXC.jpg

First swim of the year image on Sunday after a 6 mile cross country race through boggy marsh lands and at least 5 water filled ditches! I lost my shoe around mile 1... it just got sucked straight off my foot & I had to go searching for it in the deep muddy puddle I was trying to run through LOL!!! Everyone running past me must have laughed at the sight of the fight going on - the mud just didn't want to give me back my shoe for what seemed like an age image !!!

It was nice to "clean off" and get refreshed in the sea at Minnis Bay near Margate afterwards! (Me = the shocked face on the left!)

Been great to hear all your news, sorry about the neck & shoulder Tigger image. After much thinking, I'm very sorry that I won't be able to make the Boot Camp TR24 team after all as already discussed with "poorly but recovering" Malcs image. I'm sad I won't get to see y'all but who knows, I might manage to get a bunch of local friends together at the very last moment. Hopefully Tigger or Sarah O you'll be able to find people who'd be chomping at the bit to join the team? I'm going to concentrate more on my "first love" triathlons this year. I'll definitely still keep on running....... and swimming....... but maybe in warmer waters me thinks!! xox

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Good luck with the triathlons CaroT. What ' warmer waters' do you fancy?

DS2/ sarah, York marathon looks good, and a lovely city for a weekend break.

• CaroTCaroT ✭✭✭

imageThanx Jen. I was kinda "wishing & a hoping" for warmer waters here this coming summer imageimageimage!!!

Last year my first two triathlons of the season (6 May & 3 June) turned into duathlons at the last minute on race day because the (open water) swims were cancelled due to the water being too cold even with wetsuits (less than 14 degrees C).

Maybe I'll stick to indoor pool tri's or start planning a nice relaxing tropical holiday instead image. Good luck with your training xox