Fastest single mile you've ran?

Did 11 miles today and at the 6 mile point I thought I'd open the pace and see what time I could run 1 mile. Been running regular for 2 years now and this is the first time I've ever tried it. My Garmin says 5.46. I'm guessing I could shade 10-15 seconds off this if I was fresh. Has anyone else done this and what's are your times? Cheers, Wayne

Comments

• I run km not miles. Best ever time for 1 km is 3:52.

• we became a bit obsessed with miling a year or so ago. my best was 5.53 or summat. good to get the old heart going.

• 5:47 over a year ago, i used to be into sprinting, i'd like to try again now im more conditioned to long distance and aerobic running. i'll try on my local running track in spring i think, laps are more accurate than a garmin for such short distances where seconds count.

• Mine is 4:51 - trouble is it was the first mile of a half, a training buddy and I were going to run round in 6s but got carried away!!!!!  (we blew up badly that day)

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

Mine is 4:51 - trouble is it was the first mile of a half, a training buddy and I were going to run round in 6s but got carried away!!!!!  (we blew up badly that day)

Eh?!  How can you run over a minute too fast?  Was it downhill or something??  Anyway, congrats on running a second inside my only attempt to run a mile, which was the first leg of a 3 x 1 mile relay.  I may have a go at a proper track one next year, now I've got some nice yellow spikes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Grendel, i'm no stranger to a fast start...ie 5.24 first mile in a 10miler I averaged 5.50 in, 5.28 first mile in a half i averaged 5.57 in, but 4.51 when after a relatively modest 6?!

That's barmy.

• it s amazing what adrenaline and a fast group around you can do.............might even get me a mile time under 7:30image

• Mcmillan converts 4:51 mile to 5:57 pace for a half. Not sure that most people do a 12.1 mile warm down afterwards though image

• We just got carried away (that said I ran the the first mile of the Cabbage Patch 10 many years ago next to Steve Brace - (not quite sub 5 minute pace) but he ended up winning in 48 minutes I finished 10 minutes behind!!!) - not sure where McMillan got that conversion pace - my average for a half was 5:44

Mind after 12 years of inactivity I would probably have to jump out of a balloon to even approach sub 7 minute miles!!!!  (am working on it though - not the jumping but the sub 7 minute miles!)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

We just got carried away (that said I ran the the first mile of the Cabbage Patch 10 many years ago next to Steve Brace - (not quite sub 5 minute pace) but he ended up winning in 48 minutes I finished 10 minutes behind!!!) - not sure where McMillan got that conversion pace - my average for a half was 5:44

Mind after 12 years of inactivity I would probably have to jump out of a balloon to even approach sub 7 minute miles!!!!  (am working on it though - not the jumping but the sub 7 minute miles!)

Was that the race where he beat his team mate Eddie Conway?

I saw SB at halfway and he looked as though smoke was coming out of his ears. The effort!

My fastest, 4:57 for first mile of the old Epsom 10 course. Downhill with following breeze.

🙂

• Grendel - for a 5:44 pace half mcmillan converts to 4:40 for a mile.