2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Another 1.2 miles on crutches.

Aerobic deveopment slipping fast.Not the end of the world though cos on the plus side i have grown rather attached to my moon boot and will be sad to see it removed in a few weeksimage

Still keeping up the core work/medicine ball sessions which helps with the boredom.Have seen a few new runners in the local area plodding about,wonder how long they will last?I hope they continue with it but my moneys on most of them not seeing it out till the end of Januaryimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Mace well done on your dark o'clock 14 mile run, glad you are ok from your fall, i hate them kerbs when they jump out at you like thatimage

Jason thats another swift 14 miles in the bank this morning you sure your not going for sub 2:30 in London.

YC well done on the crutches, same happens every year come Jan lots of new peeps out running with bright new gear come Feb/Mar they all disapear image

Just over 13 miles for me this morning got my OH to drop me off in Belfast and I ran home, all I can say about the run is that it was windy and a grind......but it's in the bankimage

• Afternoon

Mace Ouch for that fall, eeeek for that bad tummy and OMG what an early start !!!!,well done for toughing it out...and with humour, but what else can you do image ?
    Jason another impressive run your pacing is amazing...quite rightly you should be more than pleased
    YC chin up..good effort with the core work ,those new year runners will have given up by the of the month !!
    NP nice run especially the day after a race
    13 miles for me too in 1.59 nasty head wind and rain (just for a change !!!)image  had a nice lay in before my 13 miler...just have to stay awake till 8am tomorrow now..back to work tonight

• YC - good to hear your keeping Chippa fella.  You will have plenty of drive when you get back in the saddle.

Nice running NN - sounds like tough conditions too..

Jason/NP - good running to fellas - your both machines image

I ran 9.14 miles with Lulu this morning. She has been asleep all afternoon image

• Mace, glad the fall wasn't to bad shame about the jacket, I'm sure the dodgy stomach was more of a concern

YC, hope the recovery is swift and you're back out running soon, it is good that you're still getting some sort of training done,

NP, a windy grind sounds familiar, looks like its going to be a blustery few days

NN, good time in those conditions,

AGF, I think she deserves a wee snooze after that

Another 60 minute run done in mild but windy conditions, I'm looking forward to some faster work but I'm not to sure about the pace to do them at, McMillan pace calculator has them at 8:46-9:03 I feel I could manage at the slower end just now, would that be acceptable? Bearing in mind I want to get close to 1:50
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Nice medium long runs, NP and NN image lol @ NP and sub 2.30

Good running too SCH and AGF image

Just having a break from killing myself with my new medicine ball. Medicine ball V ups- OMG!!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP & Jason,

I'm feeling in the legs & core today!  Just shows how much I lost with having 2 months of no running after a sporadic month of running.

YC,

Thats awesome.  Well done.  I could never go that far on crutches.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Gym today, upper body weights. Unsurprisingly the excess food, alcohol and lack of excercise over the past 2 weeks has turned me back into a bit of a pie. Ballooned up to 78kg from 75, actually surprised I didn't traverse the 80 mark...

Tempo run or intervals (probably around 7-8 miles total) tomorrow.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

kaz I hope you are recovering well? image

Great running NP, jason, AGF, Lulu, NN, SC. Nice cross training YC, SM and  jason, must go do some myself!

mace blimey sounds bad, take care! Hope the bruises go fast!

HM well done on getting out.

A nice recovery 5.5 miles this morning, really windy out there! image Then 6 miles this afternoon on the treadmill with 4 at 6.54mm pace.

A bit of weight loss for me since the start of the hols. image Must be all that extra running!

F

• Gym session for me after a couple of days off, 45 mins of cross training then plenty of squats and core work, back to running tomorrow with some hills image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF - great 20 miler y'day (and fab HR btw) and nice Lulu run todayimage

Fiona - well done on the 12,6m y'day and nice double today

OH - well done on y'day's swim + 8 miles. I said "well done" for entering as for me the hard part is saying yes to the question "am I really going to put myself through this again...". image

NN nice tempo and well done on the 13m today

Jason - good race/swim? y'day. Fab 14m this morning.

NP great race report and result. Well done on this morning's 13m

SM well done on the running and good X-training today

SC - good 10.8m run y'day and well done on the 60 mins today. Are you still sticking to Hadd HR's?

HM Yay!!! Well done for getting out.image

Emmy hi

mace- ouch. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow...

YC well done on the X-training

MG nice gym session

---

Involuntary double for me - had a 2.5m "shopping run" this morning, on top of the planned club run this evening.  Ran the latter as a MP / 83%maxHR run - woeful pace - 45 seconds slower per mile than October.  Ho-hum, plenty of work to do...patience required. 9.89m total for the day.

• Teknik, I'm sure the pace will return with a little hard work and as you said patience, with regard to Hadding, I'm trying to keep to it on my solo runs, the group ones are a little tricky, I've got just over ten weeks until my HM, so I'm going to coninue with the 75% solo runs for another two weeks and then add some tempo and 80% runs into the mix.

proposed plan.

/members/images/696098/Gallery/HM-Shed-v1_0.jpg

• SC  I stayed away from the group/club runs when I was meant to be doing just the slow stuff  as it kind of defeats the whole object.It will pay of if you are patient, I am finding my long runs are not 9.10ish average 71-75 % , whereas this time last year I was running at 80%+ for that pace, now my 80 - 85 % is giving me 8.15/8.20

• Morning All. What lovely weather to wake up to here in the midlands. Inspired me to 7 Mmiles progressive run image Lovely. Lulu sulked a little when she realised she was not coming for a run with me... but I need to ensure she does not over do it!

Thats super Progress NN

SC - I found as many sub 70% are the thing that made the most improvement to me, I still do most of my runs at that HR 

Tek - it will come back. By end of Feb you will be ahead of where you were. the break was a good thing probably !!

Super pace Fiona !! Leaving me for dust !!

MG/Stuart. Well done on the gym work. Some for me tomorrow. I know the feeling of Christmas excess too Stuart !!

HM - well done on the mile.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Tek- I too am struggling to run the same pace as October- but this is bound to be the case! Who wants to be peaking now when their target race is in April?? image

First 6.5m recovery run done and dusted, medicine ball work and stretching too image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

SC nice plan. I can't really comment as you're aiming for a HM...but I know Brian on the Hadd thread has got your backimage

NN nice stats!

AGF thanks, you're probably right, and well done on the 7m

Jason - thanks, I just didn't think it would be that much of a drop off.  I guess in the past I ran by pace rather than HR...Nice recovery and medicine thingyimage

---

11.73m this morning, 6.73m on my own on the flat and tarmac, nice and relaxed, then 5m slog through the mud and hills with the club...should have swapped to trail shoes.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Tek- blimey, what a morning! image I don't do the HR thingy, just run by pace modified by perceived exertion image
  • NN, I hear what you're saying, if I was just a member then I could just ignore the group run but as I'm one of the leaders I'll take one of the groups out and the pace can vary it all depends on who is in the group.  Hopefully going forward I'll look to take out a lower mileage group, the pace tends to be a little slower which will help, but I will need to tag on a few miles at the start/end to get the time in.

AGF, Once my pace for a given HR starts to improve, I'll look to bring the HR down towards 70%

Teknik, Brian is so helpful and encouraging and is advice is always spot on. 

Thanks for the advice comments guys they are appreciated image

• Blimey, some serious running going on for early January after the *ahem* festive season.

Happy New Year all. Bit late, but only got back from Center Parcs last night...

Got a couple of good runs through the woods done at Longleat. Bit muddy this year, but it helped to nicely christen the new pair of La Sportiva Crosslites I picked up on sale at Pete Bland.

Must get back into training now... got my entry back for Dursley Dozen [10th Feb]. Will be my fourth year on the trot - and I know how tough it is - so no slacking in January image

Planning a nice steady 8 miles later.

Take care all.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jayc- welcome back image

Second 6.5m plod done here image
  • Holy moly loads of great running going on - must admit I am slightly jealous!

I got home yesterday afternoon. Needless to say no running( or very much else) happening here!! Going stir crazy already. image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason nice double runs for you today, I agree with you your pace has to drop off as you build the miles up the trick is to ensure it comes back. I had worked hard on my pace before Dublin but I'm happy to say it's back and I hope to go faster in the peak/race phaseimage.

Teknik thats nice running but there are so many things that can effect your HR Thats why I only use it sometimes and on slow runs only.

AGF Nice running this morning think Jason has now taken the number 3 spot on Fetch....

Jayc hope you managed to get out for that 8 miles.

Kaz1 welcome back it wont be long before your allowed to run again.

two runs for me today now D&D 7 miles tempo this morning and 6 miles recovery run tonight, legs felt a lot better after a good nights sleep.image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- should be number 2 if you look at number 1 clearly a mistake! My club mate is the other one above me image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Jason, Russian twists with an added overhead press with the medicine ball are the way to go fellaimage

Wake,20 min circuit,eat,Homes under the hammer and other assorted daytime tv crap,20 min circuit ,eat lunch,hobble to shop and back,dinner,more nightime tv crap ,then bed.

The disciplined life of an athlete is good image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    YC- lots of Russian twists, haybaling, crunches, squats and v-ups with medicine ball going on hereimage Sounds like an interesting day..... Try Marathon Talk instead of daytime TV, maybe?
  • 7 miles with 3 @ 7.30image, 6.48 & 6.52. I usually struggle the 1st tempo mile, but god knows what happened tonight...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Jason how many runs did that idiot post lol...... That puts me up to 15th lol.

I got a mention on rate your run on MArathon talk this week for the interval session I did on Christmas day, was a shock when I heard it on my recovery run whilst listening to the show image

SM6 nice running.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    SM6- never mind the first- look at the others! image