RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Minni- I never sleep well but I don't think it has anything to do with training, I was always a light sleeper. If anything, training helps, when I'm wiped out I sleep a bit better. Alcohol definitely doesn't help.image My cat also got in a habit of waking me up at 5am begging for food (she's on a diet) which has been driving me insane lately.image

• Minni: I always have trouble sleeping if I have done a hard session that day.

• Minni - No racing experience unfortunately. Like i say i have only been running quite seriously/reguarly the past year. Originally this was as a way to trim up a bit and get fit because i had just started playing football again (and give up smoking!!). Have absolutely fell in love with it tho and find it very therapautic and the added motivation of watching times improve has been great. I'm quite a way behind you guys in terms of times but figure if u wanna get better learn off the guys who know abit more than u do. Went from reading novice book on marathoning to Advanced marathoning just because i wanted to know a bit more about exactly why you done certain runs and find the science bit behind it all quite interesting to be honest (bit of a nerd at heart really lol). I'll be following schedule out of this and hope to be hitting somewhere near 40 - 50 mpw. Half times just under 1:50 at mo only run this far once a couple of weeks ago. Like i say quite a bit off you guys image but cant knock my keeness tho!!!

• Brolish wrote (see)

image My cat also got in a habit of waking me up at 5am begging for food (she's on a diet) which has been driving me insane lately.image

haha - my little sh*tbag does the same at 5 am with little pat- pat- pat's to the face

• MrZ- blooming little terrorists!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I went to see The Life of Pi last night and was kept awake by the wind and tiger that seemed to be sharing my bed!
  • Minni wrote (see)

My sleep has been disturbed over the past few nights (which is annoying since I'm on holiday still and don't need to be up at 5am). I've put a lot if miles in over the past couple of weeks and done a few races and I'm sure this had something to do with it. Today's a rest day so hopefully I'll benefit from it. Does anyone else have sleep/training issues?

Dr Sarah - a New Year guest has informed me she has developed shingles - how infectious is that? I've told her if I get it she'll become an ex friend!!!

Yep - the harder I train, the worse I sleep image. Even though I do most runs in the morning, a hard one (e. g. tempo or MP) means I'll be wide awake when I really really ought to rest image. Intervals in the evenings are the worst culprit but intervals at 4:30am are nigh on impossible. This running lark can be a massive pain in the butt image

• im i train hard i sleep like a dog - its not uncommon for me to fall asleep on the couch after a run!

• Minni wrote (see)
    I went to see The Life of Pi last night and was kept awake by the wind and tiger that seemed to be sharing my bed!

Did the tiger turn out to be one of the labs?image

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Minni - did you enjoy The Life of Pi?  We were going to see it last week, but then BR left his wallet behind and so we put it off, but hope to see it soon.

I find the harder I train the more I need sleep and the deeper it is.  Although if I do a hard session in the night it can keep me buzzing and restless during the early hours.  To tell the truth I'm a restless sleeper anyhow!

• hi LTB, glad you have found and that you share our love for running. I did my first marathon in 3:47, and that was after a large interuption in my training schedule last year. I had been running about 18 months by that stage, but probably only seriously about a year. Have you planned any shorter races to do before April?

Evening Minni how was your rest day ? Its been mine too, although I was on call and it was seriously busy, so im guessing all that running around and my mind working over time has probably made up for it! Whats the Life of Pi about? I fancy going to the pics tomorrow and was wondering what to see.

My 1:35 was at Worksop in Oct 2012. My next half after that I did in 1:36 (nov 2012) but i think I could have done it quicker as i ran with a friend for the first 10 miles which slowed me down a little and there were strong winds .

Regarding sleep - normally exercise helps people sleep so I normally prescribe it to my patients with insomnia (and depression). Ive always been a terrible sleeper but since ive been running Ive been much better. Alcohol and any lye in's messes up my rhythm though so I use to never sleep on a sunday night after the weekend, so id be tired at work all week. It got so bad I stopped drinking any alcohol and took to going to bed and getting up at the same time at the weekends as I did in the week - it helped loads. image

According to evidence however exercise in the late evening close to when you go to bed can have the opposite effect and keep you awake.image

Shingles is highly infectious but you have to be in contact with the rash (or its contents) directly. You cant catch shingles from it, only chicken pox (so if you have already had chicken pox you should have some protection/immunity to it).

Haha Brolish that made me laugh, your poor cat.

Hi Chick, DD, Mr Z and Hilly image

• I'm a terrible sleeper, I just worry about work all night. Until 6:30 am when I can't keep my eyes open.

The RW plan called for 3 miles steady tonight so I jogged down to a quiet back road to warm up then covered the three miles in 7:55s but it was quite hard work.

Feels good to be back on a plan though, another rest day tomorrow then a long run on Saturday.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thank you Dr Sarah!

Hilly - yes Life of Pi was good. Really well done. Sarah - it's about a boy who is shipwrecked with a tiger and how they survive at sea.

Rest day has been spent going back and forward to the skips since I've had a mass clear out! Tomorrow is 9 miles followed by a sports massage.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    So puffy, for a 3:30 marathon that would be 3 miles at faster than MP so would feel quite hard, especially without a warm-up.
  • It is a sad or happy movie?

That doesnt sound much like a rest day to me!! Although sounds fun and satisfying!

Mines hopefully a 15 mile run but without the sport massage unfortunatley, unless I can sweet talk my OH to doing one.

Is it safe to have a sport massage after a run, ive always wondered?

Forot to say when I did the 1km reps my fast pace was at 14kph which I think is about 6:45 min/mls (if ive done my maths right).

Mr Puffy what race time are you aiming for again?

• Minni, thats what I was just thinking but thought I would just check that he is aiming for a sub 3:30.....see im learning about these paces (slowly)!

• Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 1, Day 4.

Rest day...complete.

....tomorrow 15m at easy pace (8:50- 9:30min/ml)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I would say it isn't safe to ask your husband to do it for you! Mine would wrongly assume I meant something else!!

I used to have a sports massage every 4 weeks but got out the way of it over the summer when I wasn't doing much. I think it helps our hardworking muscles, or at least it does no harm. The guy I see also treats injuries so if anything goes wrong he'll see me at the drop of a hat, although I'm tending now to think that rest is better than throwing money at an injury.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I hope it's not too windy or wet for your 15 tomorrow.

The film is neither particularly happy or sad but I did swallow a lump twice. It's a good story.
  • 12 miles on the exercise bike Sarah?! I can do treadmills but exercise bikes are a 10 minute maximum.  Always need music for the treadmill.  Well done on today's rest day image  

LTB I ran my first marathon after about 3 years of running, my half time was about 1:46 I think.... I managed 3:53 as my first off about 40 mpw, if you're following something like P&D you'll stand a very good chance of finishing under 4 hours image

I used to be a bit scared of dogs after one chased me when I was doing my paper round as a teenager! I found running where dogs are (ie, everywhere) has kind of helped as it's only one in 500 or so that try to attack you.  The rest either ignore you or sit obediently at their owners feet, gazing up at them and wagging their tail. One went for me on Sunday so I must have a good few months of incident-free doggy encounters to look forward to image

I sleep through anything, very rarely have trouble nodding off.  I've fallen asleep at the cinema, in nightclubs, and had a few 'heavy lids' moments at work.  I would LOVE to live in Spain just so I could have a siesta!  The only trouble I have is getting up on a morning, I could sleep forever if I was left to it image

• Minni wrote (see)
    I would say it isn't safe to ask your husband to do it for you! Mine would wrongly assume I meant something else!! 

Hahaha....good point!

Last time I had a sport massage it was a few months ago...it is on my list of things to do but I only seem to be free after my long run on a fri and I was worried that having a sport massage on tired muscles may do them harm, but it was only guess work and not theoretical!

I will suggest the movie to chris and see what he says (think hes watching celeb big brother now....means less ear ache for being on hear now for me image)

• See this is why I love these threads, you can come in and chat about your training.  I am aiming at 3:30 yes.

The plan called for 3 miles steady (24 minutes).  I could feel yesterday's run a little, and had I foolishly carried 2 boxes of copier paper up the stairs at work today so my back was hurting a bit.  I didn't want to get involved in any hills, so that left this one loop, I jogged half mile to where it starts, then tried to keep it at 8mm...

That's where it goes wrong, I just find it hard to run at a particular pace from the get-go.  I was tired to begin with, the pace was up and down like a yo yo, and I was just glad to get it over with.

Junk miles? What do you think?

We had a physio in our club who used to do my legs for £25 once a month, it really helped.  Because she ran with us she knew what we could and couldn't do; in fact I ran all the way through a bout of Achilles Tendonitis under her supervision in the year that I did manage to get 3:36.

•  

I sleep through anything, very rarely have trouble nodding off.  I've fallen asleep at the cinema, in nightclubs, and had a few 'heavy lids' moments at work.  I would LOVE to live in Spain just so I could have a siesta!  The only trouble I have is getting up on a morning, I could sleep forever if I was left to it image

Carrot im so jealous. My husband is like you, he can sleep anywhere at anytime...its so annoying. When I use to work nights, he would go to sleep with me (he said to help me relax and sleep) in the day and he would be asleep snoring whilst I laid awake!

I really hate the exercise bike, I get so bored...thats why I read medical stuff whilst doing it, both take my mind of each other image

• Mr Puffy  i can relate to you. Before I came on these threads, I would just go out and run, normally as fast as I could for as long as I could. I do find it so hard to slow down and stick to paces.

I reckon all miles/runs are good, if your legs havent benefitted from them (by getting the paces wrong etc), your mind will have, you will have learnt what went right/wrong with it to help future runs become better image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Puffy - what pace did you run your 5 miles at last night?
  • I didn't take my watch I just ran comfortably, prob 9mm?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would have been better to do your 3 faster miles within your 5 miles last night, ie 2 miles @ 9 m/m then picked it up, and then the three tonight at 9 m/m as more if a recovery run?
  • Ha ha it looks so simple put like that!
  • Sarah that is a very good point, I shall bear it in mind, thank you.
  • Evening Sarah! - 12 miles on the exercise bike?? Eeek!! image