MP3 players in races

Comments

• I'm intrigued as to what sort of "emergency" might require the use of an mp3 player.

A spce blanket, whistle, torch, first aid kit maybe, but an mp3 player?

I used to be in the camp of "don't use them in races when the organisers say not to" and that people who wanted to use them should look for races that allowed them.

Now I just think using them is unsociable and rude and so they should not be used.

The other thing that has been annoying me in some races recently are various alarms going off all the time. A quick beep to alert a km or mile passing is fine, but I ran a 10k the other month and several runners near me must have had some kind of alert on for either heart rate or pace zones which was really loud, and kept going off all the time.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thankfully I manage to run fast enough in races to escape the inattentions of Ipod warriors, Dj's, eaters and drinkers, HR broadcasters and those 'joined at the hips' types having a 'shared experience'.

🙂

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Running Manlet wrote (see)

Obviously the only acceptable form of music to accompany you in a race is in the form of a large 80s style boom box over one shoulder, preferably with a looped copy of Rage Against the Machine's Killing In The Name playing nonstop.

I bring my own string quartet along with me...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdx6_xEnaCMu0vojjxlnJpUJwkSbi7_Y2Avnl6TyecGqDrzq90vg

• exiled claret wrote (see)

I'm intrigued as to what sort of "emergency" might require the use of an mp3 player.

rannoch moor in the rain, haven't seen another soul for several hours, sort of emergency, i have the other items.

i realise you don't need it but then you aren't me so that's ok. i'm not as strong willed as you.

• RicF wrote (see)

Thankfully I manage to run fast enough in races to escape the inattentions of Ipod warriors, Dj's, eaters and drinkers, HR broadcasters and those 'joined at the hips' types having a 'shared experience'.

You sound like one of these really hospitable types.

People running with each other for a bit of company and support. How very dare they?

• so - that's the first ipods thread of 2013 done

where's the first dog one???

• i know image i can't believe I posted a semi-serious reply too!

there goes my resolution image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)

so - that's the first ipods thread of 2013 done

I doubt it fb, we're only on page 2!  Intermanaut hasn't come along to pie Muttley in the face yet, and no one has even mentioned deaf runners.  This thread's got legs... Carry on everyone!

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

so - that's the first ipods thread of 2013 done

I doubt it fb, we're only on page 2!  Intermanaut hasn't come along to pie Muttley in the face yet, and no one has even mentioned deaf runners.  This thread's got legs... Carry on everyone!

I lose interest after p2 usually as all the arguments get a bit circular and then the backbiting and drivel starts (carries on...image)

talking of which - where's D2D when you need a bit of forum anger?? or anon - he was always good for an argument.

• I think it should be compulsory for everyone to have to wear an MP3 player, a cap on back to front, watches that signal every 50 yards have passed and take a dog on an extendable lead.......

• Damn. My comment has gone on to page 3 so fat buddha wont see it...

• carterusm wrote (see)

I think it should be compulsory for everyone to have to wear an MP3 player, a cap on back to front, watches that signal every 50 yards have passed and take a dog on an extendable lead.......

You left out "whilst wearing a fancy dress costume"

• Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)
    RicF wrote (see)

You sound like one of these really hospitable types.

People running with each other for a bit of company and support. How very dare they?

No problem with people running together, but please could they run in single file for the first mile of a race so I don't hit a wall of 4 slow runners a few hundred metres into a race. Or if they could all start near the back of the field, that would be great!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

But what about deaf runners?

• image New year same threads. image

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Cake,

MP3 for cyclists is stupidly dangerous and you take your life in your own hands.

Using them in races is also something I find odd, and selfish.

But runners wearing headfones on the street? Where's the problem in that?

Way more dangerous is those "all the gear no idea" types who go out running at night, kitted up in all black trendy gear.

same as for a bike mate you can't hear whats going around you properly There could be car's pulling out of driveways or a mum shouting watch out as her rugrat tries to rugby tackle you. If your off the pavement and on open fields/paths thats different and even i do that sometimes. But like I said was just me Daily Mail esh rant.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I wear my MP3 player so that I can listen to some banging tunez as I run through the countryside on my long runs.  It helps to keep me motivated you see.  Then after the run there is nothing I like better than to unwind in front of the TV watching Countryfile,  and listening to my MP3 playing Tranquility albums of relaxing sounds of nature.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cake wrote (see)

image New year same threads. image

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Cake,

MP3 for cyclists is stupidly dangerous and you take your life in your own hands.

Way more dangerous is those "all the gear no idea" types who go out running at night, kitted up in all black trendy gear.

same as for a bike mate you can't hear whats going around you properly There could be car's pulling out of driveways or a mum shouting watch out as her rugrat tries to rugby tackle you. If your off the pavement and on open fields/paths thats different and even i do that sometimes. But like I said was just me Daily Mail esh rant.

It's not even an argument that cyclists wearing headfones is more dangerous than a runner on a pavement.

Think of the higher speeds involved, split second decisions to make. Get it slightly wrong, or be distracted, and you're history.

Headfones become pretty essential when you're racking up higher mileage, unless you're some machine of a runner.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Ric, I had a proud record of never losing to someone wearing headfones, until that strange chap from your club beat me in an XC last year.

Strolling past on a tough offroader wearing headfones!

Still..put that right at the Metros race!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Headfones become pretty essential when you're racking up higher mileage, unless you're some machine of a runner. 

Erm so how did runners cope in the Dave Bedford era - when somehow they managed to rack up 100s of miles a week ?

• carterusm wrote (see)

Damn. My comment has gone on to page 3 so fat buddha wont see it...

you ain't seen me.  right??

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Erm so how did runners cope in the Dave Bedford era - when somehow they managed to rack up 100s of miles a week ?

A different age completely, and they comes under the "machine of a runner" part.

How many non elites do you notice doing 100miles a week these days?

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Cake wrote (see)

image New year same threads. image

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Cake,

It's not even an argument that cyclists wearing headfones is more dangerous than a runner on a pavement.

Think of the higher speeds involved, split second decisions to make. Get it slightly wrong, or be distracted, and you're history.

stevie G called me a machine of a runner....best compliment i have ever had

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what's your mileage Seren...do you qualify as "High mileage" first of all...image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Totally down to personal preference.  Obviously I'm a machine of a runner anyway image but I just don't like the idea of running with things in/on my ears.  Probably some combination of sweat/bouncing around/carrying things/being aware of surroundings, etc., I dunno, but it's certainly not a function of how long I'm running for.  And yet I'm an avid MP3 listener when I'm walking.  When I'm running, the internal jukebox is constantly on.

• I do runs of 20, 30, 40 or 50 miles without the aid of a music machine..............are those runs high mileage enough for you............

how many runs a year do you do over 25 miles stevie image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm a contraption of a runner.

• image Of course you are Seren!!! keep at it.

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    carterusm wrote (see)

Damn. My comment has gone on to page 3 so fat buddha wont see it...

you ain't seen me.  right??

Who said that ? (predictable I'm afraid)

• Each to their own. Clearly, many of the races that ban the use of MP3 players do it for the reason that some will always choose to have the volume turned up to 11 while listening to Death Metal or the strangled cat-esque tones of Justin Bieber or, say, Coldplay.image  

It is down to personal preference and so long as it does not  comprimise safety, I do not see what the argument is. There do seem to be some "Running Facists" in this thread. I say it's good to have a plurality of views but not where it is expressed as a "this is right and that is wrong/get out of my way slow pathetic people" etc - that kind of attitude is as dangerous as what they suggest are the dangers of wearing an MP3 player in my view. 

I wear an MP3 player pretty much all the time while running. I find it sometimes comforting and at others inspiring; I tend to listen to podcasts on longer runs for company and music on shorter runs. I don't have it on very loud and can hear what's going on around me. If that's being unsafe and irresponsible, then apologies for my indiscretion...but my Sansa Clip will still be with me at Parkrun in the morning and on my long run on Sunday.

• carterusm wrote (see)

I think it should be compulsory for everyone to have to wear an MP3 player, a cap on back to front, watches that signal every 50 yards have passed and take a dog on an extendable lead.......

I think they should also be required to spit constantly to the side, with bonus points for hitting anyone with the temerity to try to overtake.