Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• £50 is a lot in an absolute sense, but relatively? What are people comparing it to?  London?  I think Edinburgh is a similar price if not slightly more.  Abingdon was £30ish, I think.  MK is now £36.  Compared to the races on the Continent, £50 is a bargain.  Where are the other cheap marathons?  Any less than £30 with a field of more than 5000?

I agree about the sneaky booking fee.  I'd feel less annoyed if the price was £45 than if I am told it'll be £42 but then see that 5% charge added separately after I got my card out.

I'm just a little disappointed that the start/finish is outside OT in a car park and not the Stretford End.

• £50 is a bargain for a good closed roads marathon image

• Hey! I'm really thinking about doing Manchester, just can't quite decide!! Help!!

• Hi Santa's little tigger - I  asked the same question and still thinking about it. -  but someone said book it and be ready.  . .I reckon you really want to 

EP x

• I've booked this with 2 mates - done lots of 10ks, one half but never a full one!! A bit scared with fitting the training in as I'm a single mum. But lookign forward, We've booked our hotel rooms already just the trains to book now!!!

• Alicatty you'll be fine, just get those long SLOW runs in, gently building up.

Good luck!
  • Entered today, the MEN5 code still works too.

• Jesus Christ I've put about a stone on over the last 3 days
  • Hi Guys,

Been lurking on this forum for time. Signed up for this one and training is not yet in full swing, just been ticking over the last few weeks.

Santa has been really good to me and given me a Garmin and I'd like to get a training schedule onto it. Does anyone know if I have to type it all in or is there a quicker way of getting it on there via my mac? Not sure if this is the right forum but just thought I'd see if ther were any techy types out there!

I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum and contributing when I can.

• Not sure how you do that, what model you got? Mines 310xt and don't think you can do that on mine
  • Its a 610 Jedwards. I thought there was some way I could download a file onto the watch that would magically add all the schedules to my watch.

• Cybarev - got 610 also and can't download runnersworld schedules don't know if there are any others you can but I couldn't find any.
  • You can download them to a 310 so should be able to do so to a 610 you need to download the plan into garmin sportracks and then synchonise with the watch and the plan should be in the training section

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

Signed up in a rush of blood yesterday after impressing myself with a 13m training run on Tues. I think it's time I had a go at my first marathon.

I suppose I ought to look at plans and schedules and stuff, but what I'm doing now seems to work alright for me: 5k parkrun on Sat, LSR on Sun and a couple of midweek runs (along with a lot of cycling to work). If I look hard enough I'm sure I can find a plan that says that's the right thing to do.;)

Next thing to do is to look up my old friends in Manc...

• Did this last year and it was ok, weather didnt help, did liverpool as well and even though I am a manc I must admit liverpool was miles better. The whole organisation from start to finish was better and plus you dont have to go past old trafford (boo hiss). 

I have just signed up for the endurancelife sussex costal ultra then watched a bit of coverage on youtube and I am scared now, oh well better pull my finger out and do some proper training

• I am going to do the Greater Manchester Marathon, this will be my first one. I remember years ago watching the Marathon Runners in the 80s and thought they were supermen and women. Bolton hosted a hard one finishing on an hill, certainly not for the faint hearted and certainly wasnt a PB chaser either. I would love that one to be back. Now I am in my 50s I have decided to do this one as a starter image 

I hope it more organised this year, and the weather did not help either. I am not going to work with a standard training program I am going to play it by ear. Let the road miles begin image

• Welcome to all the "newcomers" to the thread.image

Can I just confirm with anyone else following a P&D program that this Monday is the start of week 15 on the schedule? I've counted back a couple of times and it seems right but I just thought I'd check.

• Did it last year and will again this. Had the weather not been so appalling, it would have been very enjoyable, luggage debacle notwithstanding. The support was the best I've ever seen, particularly given that it chucked it down all day long. Loos were great, water stations were great, marshalls were great, support was outstanding. Can't wait.

• What was the issue with luggage?  Did they leave bags in the street to get soaked like the Nike chancers at the British 10km did?

• GazOC wrote (see)

Welcome to all the "newcomers" to the thread.image

Can I just confirm with anyone else following a P&D program that this Monday is the start of week 15 on the schedule? I've counted back a couple of times and it seems right but I just thought I'd check.

The race date is the end of week 17 according to my diary so accoring to my calculations a 16 week plan should start on monday 7 Jan

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

I make it 16 weeks from monday the 7th. I was just telling mrs samoff last night that I'm not officially training for the marathon til then.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Training starts Sunday after 4 weeks off, was going well, decent long runs and good weekly mileage when I got an injury, did a bit of cycling to keep tikcing over. Just got over that and came down with flu Christmas day, will try to get out Sunday for a long run at a gentle pace before the serious stuff starts.

• Ally, everyone got a bag and a tag and a number. So all the bags and the tags were the same. the number (obvs) went on your shirt, not the bag. All the bags were piled up in a luggage tent, literally thousands of them, with no way to discern whose was which. Bedlam. The organisers spent the next six months apologising.
  • Cheers for the replies. Thats what I make it too as my program has race week as "Week 0" so week 15 starts on Monday 7th.image

JedWard. The P&D programs are from the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas.

• Mine will start a week later but i've been "keeping my eye in" with 35-45 mpw up until this last week.  In taper ahead of HM on Sunday and then maybe one gentle run next week ahead of a weekend away.  Monday 14th the formal stuff will get going and I can't wait image

• wondered if there are any gels being given out at any of the aid stations

• After reading a few injury reports now by you runners, I have bought some books including the P and D one. Nothing worse then an injury. 

I have reasonable knowledge of running, but not to the extent you lot have. What I do have though is manging injuries through other sports. 

What I would say because running gives you the freedom of mine, it easy to get out on those roads without resting. Yet most people I know from a sporting background to an high level. Including Kelly Holmes say rest is one of the most important factors.

• My training starts on Monday again so I thought I'd best start showing my face in here ready image

Jedward - they gave a couple of gels out to each runner last year but I can't for the life of me remember at which miles they were, partly due to the fact I used my own.