2012 in review

2»

Comments

• Totals
    Bike, about 1000 miles (800 odd in 10 days).  Run, about 30 miles.  Swim not an excessive amount!  (I don't seem to like training!)

Highs
    In order through the year.  Dusty's Surrey rides, Retiring aged 50, LEtJOG, Supporting other half at BriLo (Bristol to London cycle ride) and finishing Outlaw.  Fantastic Pirate support at Outlaw.  Loved the swim in the rowing lake!  Pirate Christmas Swim gala!  

Lows
    Constant knee pain.  Losing my only car key in Richmond Park whilst riding with Dusty!  Horrendous blisters during Outlaw walk!  They wouldn't have been as bad if I'd run a bit more!!  Not seeing the bloke who helped me believe I could complete Outlaw finish himself!  Finishing the year nearly two stone heavier than I started!

VLM in April if I can get knee's and achilies sorted so I can actually do some training before the event.  Henley?  Possibly, but again depends upon knees. 

• 2012 a game of two halves.

January to June:
    Run 986.13 miles
    Bike 3000 miles
    Swim 100 miles

I made it through the first six months without any set backs (injury/illness) things couldn't've gone better really. The Outlaw was my A race and the primary target was to finish without walking on the run. Secondary target was to go sub 11. Both of which I achieved, plus as a bonus I placed 3rd in my age group, so I've got a nice trophy to treasure.
    The Outlaw - 10:36:59 (1:08:09 - 5:51:27 - 3:29:19)  image

I didn't do any other triathlon races but I did do the outstanding  DIY Half IM organised by Mr & Mrs SA (big thanksimage

Other best race performances;
    Halewood 5k  - 17:50
    Rainford Bypass TT10 - 25:26  .. Saighton TT10 - 25:46

July - December:
    Run 788.38 miles
    Bike 0 miles
    Swim 0 miles

I was really up for it after my Outlaw success.  I took it easy in July allowing for some recovery. Then picked it up in August, but by the end of the month I just wasn't getting anywhere so backed off and rested in September. Came back in October having put the thoughts of a marathon pb behind me and decided to focus on shorter distances, but was still struggling, by the end of November I'd had enough and quit.  Not a good second half image.

I'm out of retirement and hopeful of getting back in shape and with the creation of a new local parkrun starting this month (maybe Feb) I'm targeting a sub 18 on that course and if that happens and things go well I'll come up with some new goals for later in the year (marathon pb?)

No more triathlons for me tho that is 100% certain. (I will be part of the DIY HIM support team in May thoimage)

All ther best for 2013.

• Totals B 4785 R 1746 S 183 Miles

Highs

Going sub 2-30 three times for a Olympic, 10K PB by over 90 seconds

Lows

Outlaw, finished well enough but got no enjoyment out of it, hated the swim.

First up is targeting a marathon PB in Dubai 25/01. Then its Tri season through to Abu Dhabi in March, I have three Oly's two sprints and Abu Dhabi. After that it will be back to the bike training for Ride Across Britain in June, before heading back to the UK for good at the begining of July. Challenge Henley 1/2 IM in September

• Swim 44miles
    Bike 1662miles
    Run 380miles
    Cross train 52hours
    Total time 284hours

Not very much by most of teh very impressive standards above, but I'm reasonably happy with it. It all went ok until November when I just lost interest in lots of things, so a very poor end to the year

2012 Highs:
    Deva Oly - lovely tri, lovely setting, posh hotel and watching the wife do the Deva Divas the day before was ace
    Cotswold 113 HIM - first HIM, went in with hardly any training after getting shouted at to JFDI by all the pirates - also first time in Yellow & Black
    Pirate Christmas swim champs and party

Lows:
    Being a lazy arse, not getting plans in place properly, no consistent training. Just missing 1:30 in Wilmslow sprint

2013: Looking forward to:
    Consistent training, following the plan and taking advantage of teh support, guidance and encouragement of fellow Pirates
    Waiting on my own black and yellow kit to arrive (So excited)
    New job, settling in and finding work/life/training balance
    Getting fitter and faster

2013 Events:
    Outlaw Half
    Outlaw
    DIY HIM
    Berlin Velothon
    London 100 (Hopefully)
    London-Paris ride
    Beachy Head maa

• Totals: no idea.

Highs:
    IMW.  Even the bits I didn't like were good.  Supporting afterwards from Schmunks' hotel room windown with chips in one hand and a mug of tea in the other was a special highlight.
    Outlaw.  Seeing Mel win.  Getting 2nd in my AG.  Pirating generally.  All good.
    London Marathon.  Keeping it there or thereabouts.

Lows:
    Missing lots of other races after scheduling the above.  Especially half marathons and HIM, I love racing those.
    Being pants at the winter ballbuster.

2013:
    VLM again, some half marathons, HIM.  Vachery middle looks like a good one.

• Totals

On home computer

Highlights

Completing first tri
    Meeting a few pirates at Concord tri
    PB at Cardiff HM of 1:27:31
    Pirate Christmas Party

Lowlights
    Getting to the Gower Oly at about 10 mins before the start so not being setup properly
    Aggrivating achillies in Gower tri so having to rest for a month ahead of Cardiff HM
    Cocking up pacing in Cardiff HM so to miss target

Getting to racing weight
    Llanelli marathon
    DIY half IM
    Deva Oly
    Bala
    Outlaw
    IM Wales
    Sub 1:25 at Cardiff Half

• Totals:

run    720 miles
    cycle 2,350 miles
    swim no idea!!

Highlights

All things piratey
    DIY Half - my first halfimage
    Outlaw - my first full image

Lowlights

having to breaststroke an iron distance swim - can't bloody do fc !! image
    manchester marathon - sooo cold, shorts 'n t shirt = big mistake

Manchester Mara (my revenge)
    DIY Half
    Outlaw mara leg
    IMCH

AND I WILL LEARN TO SWIM !!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hope this is not just for IMs...as just a newbie tri-wannabe and my mileage won't be anywhere near yours...

Totals
    swim 10.5km image (I know what I need to do more...)
    bike 1012.32mi (can't believe it was this high)
    run 214.08mi

Highlights
    Completing my first sprint tri image
    Cycling round Welsh Coast from Swansea to Mold
    Completing my first half mara and running all the way!

Lowlights
    Lost motivation after half mara, put on weight and got unfit

Learn fc
    OD tri
    maybe HIM, Wild Boar in September if training goes well
    Get fit again

• Totals
    A bit of everything.

Highlights
    The Outlaw. What a great day image
    PBs galore.

Lowlights
    Bike crash in Feb that I thought had ended my Outlaw chances.
    Getting up on the morning of the Marshman and seeing the weather.
    Motivation being very patchy since Outlaw.

Arse back into gear and do some racing.

• well here goes, probably a little different from the others....

Totals:
    No Idea, not that much due to a sprained ankle in March which then led to ITB issues.

Highlights:
    - TCR 10k, a race I did in 2011 in 39:04, finishing in 35:09! A massive PB, though the hard work was mainly done in 2011. Did with a sprained wrist that was aching a lot the day after running the first half of the spring ballbuster (before crashing)

- Winning all but one of the 5k parkruns I have run in the year.

- Realising I wouldn't be the worst at this sport if I actually trained, learnt to pace, and learnt to discipline

Lowlights:
    - Spring Ballbuster - Crashing on the first lap of the bike. Ran the first 8 mile run about 3 minutes quicker than the previous one and was happy in about ~20th place, until my wheels went on some oil with a couple of other people. Bust my hands up so had to DNF

- Endurer adventure race - Losing my first place position after spraining my ankle (Felt I could have won), stupidly deciding to continue for the rest of the race, going in the wrong direction and taking an accidental massive shortcut which meant they tried to congratulate me as I crossed the finish line first when I knew I was in about 8th... leading to a DQ

- London Marathon - DNS due to realising the aforementioned sprained ankle was worst than I had realised

- Sheffield Half Marathon - DNS due to sprained ankle

- Thames Turbo Triathlon 1 - DNS due to sprained ankle

- Thames Turbo Triathlon 2 - DNF - decided to just do the swim and bike as I couldnt run because of the ankle

- Trying to put lots of work in on the bike with a sprained ankle led to ITB issues which stopped me biking for a few weeks

- Outlaw Ironman - DNF - drinking the night before, not doing any run training and only a few long bike sessions, and trying to ride the bike like a madman ended up in me pulling out an incredible bike split (for me) and then setting off to run a marathon pb... until the second half of the run when I just pretty much collapsed from the exhaustion, then couldnt stop vomiting for most of the rest of the day

Summary:
    A terrible year, though feel I proved myself as a runner and almost as a triafalete type.

2013:
    It was going to be a toss up between trying to qualify for the Olympic world champs in London, or a sub 10 attempt at outlaw... then I moved to India for a few months. If I am able to just run a bit, enter a couple of local races simply for the fun, and lose a bit of Christmas podge, I will be happy image

• Totals
    Run: 805
    Cycle: 1405
    Swim: 73,000m.

I suspect the cycle and swim are somewhat under recorded. I swam double that the previous year and although I was bit short on OW swims. I swim most weekends with a masters group and do 2500-3000m which is more than  the total shown. Also rarely recorded turbo sessions this year.

Highlights
    Olympics
    Sub-4 at Brighton Marathon.
    1:45 at MK Half
    13:20 for 54m While Cliffs Challenge
    Outlaw

and generally swimming, biking and running. would even list as bailing at mile 77 of a 100m walk as highlight.

Lowlights
    None

• Totals not clue but deffo not as structured or committed as previous years

Highlights

Slateman

Helping train up some mates for their first IM (outlaw) and watching them and my bruv crack it

Lows a couple of early bike crashes which sidelined the first bit of the year

Sitting in a car for 7 hours trying to get to the Little Woody before giving up and going home (first DNF on the journey to a raceimage )
  • Totals
    Run: 827km
    Cycle: 2638km
    Swim: 263km

Highlights
    10k OW Swim
    New 5k PB at 16:40
    New 10k PB at 34:24
    New HM PB at 1:17:30 
    1st in AG in Irish National Middle Distance Champs
    Qualifying for London champs in 2013
    First century bike ride
    No injuries worth mentioning
    Shiny new bike! 

Lowlights
    Forgetting my wetsuit at a race and borrowing a surfing wetsuit
    Turning up hungover or fatigued to too many races 

Aims
    Sub 16 minute 5k 
    Hang onto my AG title in May
    Give the world champs a good effort 
    Cycle more 

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Biggest deal for me would have to be my son buying me a fat triathletes can-do memoir image rather than lance armstrongs biography cause 'he's a cheat dad' and re-awakeing my desire to be dave scott.

Bit short on totals -

Run: 160mls
    Cycle: 68mls
    Swim: 6mls

Highlights :

Got up of my considerable posterior and began training, resulting in loosing 2stone+ of the hard white stuff that kills you and achieving

5k PB at 35:05
    10k PB at 1:09:15
    aquathon PB at 1:03:51 
    dropped from 305lbs to 277lbs
    entered outlaw half in 2013

(oh, and ordering my pirate costume - in a size I havent been since I lost the hair and gained 100lbs of insulation)

Lowlights
    Dam near snapping a foot of at the aquathon
    missing outlaw full entry due to expensing my new jobs european travel for two months 

Aims
    Sub 30 minute 5k 
    Outlaw Half in sub 7hrs
    sub 2hr15 half marathon 
    shed another 5stone by outlaw race day

(oh  ....Outlaw 2013 entry via waitlist and have some fun)

Ambitions
    Ironman UK 2014 entry 
    Outlaw Half 2014 entry 
    Speed and Endurance after the lard loss

Run: 800mls
    Cycle: 1680mls
    Swim: 160mls

• Highlights
    The new tri bike image
    EDT training camp in Lanza.  Rode with the fast group, won the hill climb TT - go me
    IM Lanza.  So good I'm going back again

Lowlights
    (Cue mawdling music)
    Broke after the above camp.  oops
    Broke permanently again in October

Ambitions
    being able to ride well
    completing Lanza 2013 with a walk/shuffle/run on no run trainingimage

• Highlights

Being able to run again due to injury been carrying since 2011, completing 10m after long lay off

Lows

Not being able to do anything longer than a sprint

Putting on the weight again since IMW 2011 now 17s 8lbs

Ambitions

Lose 2 stone plus

Completing Challenge Henley or IMW

Finish the year injury free
  • Totals 

It's all hand written ,so that must make me a low tech nerd. Achieved 10 hours per week training for the first half of the year.... second half tailed off a lot since my last event in October.

Highs

Outlaw in 14 52 ,which was 2 hours faster than hoped for, and my first full distance.

Meeting the pirates at the above and deciding to come on board for a bit of swashbuckling..

Lows

Current chest infection and string of colds for over a month , makes me realise how fortunate I am to be rarely sick!

There is a silver lining ? No training for weeks and weeks has seen the disappearance of nagging back ,sciatic , and knee pain! Puts me in mind of that fantastic internet spoof were the triathlete spieled off all her distances for that session whilst confessing to multiple stress fractures and writing it all off because ''I am a triathlete''  - that's what we get...

Ambitions

Outlaw 2013, IMUK 70.3 2013, Getting back to being able to train ( reading through this thread it seems to be a common cause of misery)

• this has inspired me to keep a running total in my lovely low tech notebook for next year, Can't wait until the pirate kit comes next week, if it doesn't fit quite as well as hoped, that can be sorted