Saturday 5th January 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - It's alright if you love me

I give in - have been out and completed the weekly grocery shop waiting for someone else to start the thread.

Didn't sleep very well last night and absolutely wiped today but figure I'll feel better for some fresh air - hope so anyway.

What:              bike ride of undecided length
Why:               see above
Last hard:       last year
Last rest:        last year

Yesterday's lyrics - Do You Have A Little Time by Dido.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• LMH: I looked but not in mood to start thread.

What: 20.6 miles run

Why: Dubai marathon in 3 weeks

Last hard: Wednesday

last rest: yesterday as hungover

Lyrics: nope
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Morning all,

1st part of double day done..... but not without temptation at Andover Parkrun...., got to 3rd corner and found my self in front.... oops... but then was overtake by an Army lad, was so tempted to go with him and take the win, but with XC this afternoon, thought better of it, so just crused to a 2nd place 200m behind the winner and about 300m ahead of 3rd... 6:45, 6:40, 6:39....

Now off to Eastleigh for the Hants XC Champs...... which I fear may be a tad harder effort than this morning...

• Afternoon!

LMH: thanks for starting the thread. Was going to , but could not get on Internet except on phone...and that is too much of a technical struggle for me to start a new thread!

What: watched at parkrun, fair amount of walking. Met up with 7D who had a decent run. Now marshalling at cross country champs following a further walk. Over 10k so far today.

Why: walk to build strength. Will run tomorrow.

Good LSR DD. I'd have gone for the win, RFJ!

Warm, dry day here...sun has even shown its face.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi!

Donaldo and M - I remember you both very well, good to hear from you.

Alehouse: pleased to read you are now "running" regularly. Hopefully things will continue to come back.

I read the various New Years days efforts with interest. Really pleased that the old fella (er that's you Blisters) is exceeding his expectations.

Sadly my year has started badly as I haven't run since Christmas Eve...yet another injury, calf this time with the potential to stop me altogether. Without sounding melodramatic, it really is most dispiriting that despite the effort and (especially!!) the restraint I've exercised over the past year (1875 miles carefully run) I'm back with the same issues that have plagued me since 2008. I'm going to persevere, but more in hope than expectation. I'll continue to follow the thread but I apologise if go AWOL whenever my whats, whys and wherefore become too uninspiring to share.
  • Oh dear, Tom! Sadly that's what I had feared: I hope it is short-lived and that stretching/strengthening/massage see an end to it. I am currently more worried about my calf than about the Achilles, as is the physio.

After marshalling I called into the large sports store on the way back: daughter wants a new bike (birthay tomorrow). Came out with a new pair of trainers: £99.99 down to £29.99. Shame it was the one and only pair! Birthday treat from my mother. Hope she likes orange.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Have to confess I looked on at about 9 but shyed off starting the threadimage

What: Swim followed by 15.5 miles mixed terrain
    Why: It's Saturday and time to start cranking up miles
    Last Hard: today
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: No

Steadily improving Alehouseimage
    Well done RFJ, DD

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear Tom, hope it can be clears up soon and is not what you fear it may be.

Part 2 done now, and Ale, glad I didnt go for the win... the course was heavy claggy and slippery to the fact its the first time in many years I have put 12mm spikes in and still not had total grip in some places..... So the Hants XC Champs... I was 89th overall in 51:13 (7.2m) on a mainly undulating and grassy / muddy course (Old Golf Course), splits were 7:11, 7:12, 7:08, 7:10, 7:08, 7:16, 6:58 and a 1:07 for the sprint to the line.... really happy overall as stayed consistant, which meant I was not overtaken for position at all (and when I was I quickly got it back.....) steadily picking of runners as I went..... Was 3rd counter for the club, so cannot complain. Had I gone harder this morning I would not have done that... so happy, a pic can be seen here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/107928467537311515898/HantsChamps2013#5830009999780817778

Jnr had a good run too and looked strong in the U17 race and was 1st counter for the club.

• I ended up toughing out for a little over two hours on the bike. Don't feel any worse for it.

Tom - so sorry to hear about your ongoing calf issues. Do you know what it is and why it keeps happening? Is there a weakness or imbalance somewhere else? Also, whilst I know it's low for you, your annual mileage is higher than mine and I ran two marathons with associated campaigns.

Nice bargain Alehouse. Have you decided on the bike? The LBS is getting a Specialized Vita in for me to see if we can set it up with a similar enough geometry to my road bike to make it as comfortable.

That's a big increase in long run mileage isn't it OH? Maybe you should be doing the swim afterwards to aid recovery!

• Tom, I am listening, and hope that your calves start to behave. Mind you, at your age....
    RFJ, that's some pace you are generating in the clag. Respect.
    LMH, a nice bike ride.
    DD, hello and a jolly decent 20 miler from you.
    OH neat double.
    Ale, good shopping, my trainers have decided to fade now. Can you get me a pair?

No run for me today, but went for a gentle bike ride. That was the plan. In the end we cracked out 57 miles and by 'eck I was toasted by mile 45. At 53 when we split for home my legs just gave up completely, but nobody was encouraging (beasting) me at that point. Once I was home I fell asleep in the bath until the water went cold.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello all, another one guilty of checking in (and checking out without posting) earlier. Was on at 8ish but printing directions, order of races and got sidetracked sorting out the days plan of action...
    Tom, sorry to hear your continued woes, but I have everything imaginable crossed for you in the hope that, in time, you can recount stories of great feats in the months to come. 
    Blisters good effort on the wheels, and DD it allseems to be shaping up nicely for the 26.2.
    RFJ - good work with the double and solid run at Eastleigh. Apparently it has dried a bit,mate of mine was marshalling and often does park run there, said the stream has at least returned to within its banks now....

What - up and out, drop eldest at hockey - ladies fixture away oop North somewhere - well High Wycombe way...then down to Eastleigh so youngest could race the Hants champs...great run by her, first scorer and 16th overall. Would have liked to have run as it looked a decent course but had to get back early so youngest could go to swimming open gala and to get eldest from her match. Managed to squeeze some food in somewhere but just returned from an hour out to get a 7.6 miler in...
    why - time
    last rest - 22 days
    last hard - hmm Thursdays longish run

have a great evening

• RFJ - nice picture image
    12mm spikes and still not gripping  - serious mud

LMH not really image did 12 miles 3 weeks ago with Elspeth. Altough that is longest distance , I think, since Loch Ness.
    Might have gone in for 2nd dip but met up with Elspeth for last mile and she was getting cold. Might have gone further but miles 4 was across stubbly grass and mile 5 resembled a motocross course across the dunesimage

Pleased to have got accomodation sorted out for Cape Wrath running week (after initial rejection) and everywhere else seeming to be booked up imageimage

• Hi all

LMH I did consider starting the thread but it always seems like cheating from here given I could start it just after midnight each day (1pm here).

Hi Tom. Sorry to hear about the ongoing calf troubles.

Nice racing RFJ! And good discipline to start with too.

what: 60mins of hills

why: hard to resist them here. I tried to get up to the skyline gondola (about 500m of climb) but only made it about 3/4 of the way.

Sore now. Going to be a struggle on the LSR. Very "S" I expect! Perhaps not so "L"

Don't know on the lyrics.
  • Feel free M! What's your next race?

Dustin - top parenting and great sporting action from your girls.

OH - 3.5 miles is a fairly significant increase in your second long run since October, what do you have planned for the coming weeks?

You sound happy with your performances RFJ, can't ask for more than that.

• Next race will be half marathon in late Feb. Its in Wellington and I try and do it each year but its always as I'm coming back after a couple of months off so isn't normally very successful! I might manage a 5k sometime before then too.