Running and rowing (erging)

Comments

• Nice erging everyone. I did a 5k TT on the erg on new years day. I find that rate restricted rows on the erg are good for a stronger stroke. I also do a lot without my feet strapped in. I drive better with my legs with no foot straps. Run tomorrow. image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I was thinking about my feet during today's session and whether I could row not strapped in. Still not sure. Also had to think about keeping the spm and hr to target, don't lean too far back, out with the arms and keep them straight, don't forget to breathe, don't curve your back etc etc ... so much to keep in mind and being male I don't do multitasking.

Anyway, a pleasant 45 mins steady row done, which nicely stretched the legs after yesterday's 15-mile slow run. Week 2 completed of the 4th cycle of the Pete Plan.

• Today I took a beasting from the Pete Plan 4 x 2k speed endurance intervals. I'm paying out for the Christmas over indulgence.

I've read plenty of posts on the Concept uk and us forums about rowing strapless. Quite a few who reckon it improves drive/technique.

• Race night on Monday at 8:30pm.  Anyone signed up? It's one round of 10k. Anyone with Rowpro can join. It will be fun image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hmmm. With my times I've always shied away from online races. Maybe it's time to dip a toe in.

Hannah: is there an idiot's guide anywhere for setting up RowPro for Oarbits etc for this?

Anyhoo ... 4 x 1000m 5 mins rest as per Pete Plan just done. Beasted it for the last rep, which drove down the average a bit, which only makes a rod for my back next time round. Should know better.

Odd how on the days when I sleep really badly, get up grumpy with a thick head and have to will myself onto the machine .... that I often have a really good sesh.

• Yeah! Have a go Muttley. There's loads of stuff online about how to set Rowpro up. You can use it for a free trial period. The folk at digital rowing are really helpful if you get stuck. It's a bit of a faff, but well worth it. I find it hard to row without Rowpro. Being online with others is so much more interesting. It also stops those handle down moments. Race night is just a bit of fun.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hmmm. You sweet talker you. I might just have to investigate. I have a full RowPro licence so I suppose I should use everything the prog offers.

• If you have a licence then it's really easy! One very short form to fill in. Yippeeee.

• Yes. They do have a system to make it fairer. I think they take your weight and gender into account. You get your adjusted time as well as your actual time.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, call me thick but I couldn't figure out how to register and set it up! I went to the RowPro control panel to register with Oarbits but there's no button to do so. I think I registered for the event but when it comes to doing a test row online it says go to session setup ... which I couldn't see on my screen.

Oh well. Some other time. The PP schedule says a steady row this evening so I'll do that instead.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Muttley, you've got me thinking about my strokes now.  (Oo-er.)  Managed to sneak under 19 mins again today for the 5k at the end of my gym session, but concentrating on keeping the strokes to 25 compared to the usual 26/27.  Although I keep having to remind myself that I'm training for a marathon, not the indoor rowing championships.  Must not get carried away!  image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It's important to have a good long stroke technique, Phil. And to maintain it until approaching the finish, when it's okay to just yank as fast as possible.

(Matron!)

The thing about the Pete Plan is that it aims at a gradual improvement each session on the previous. The endurance intervals - 3k, 2.5k and 2k - are getting tough now, on the fourth circuit. Phew.

• Seven pages of the 'erging' thread before the stroke innuendos start - I was expecting it soonerimage

I need to get back into the Pete Plan intervals; this week has been steady rows  between 8k and 15k in the evenings with a bit of running in the morning. Running is coming back slowly. Hoping to be fit for Wokingham HM

I missed out on the Race Night 10k due to technical difficulties - MS Updates took my laptop out of action.

Muttley, if you are interested in the future in the online rowing, paml   @    digitalrowing.com  is online before the race to talk you through it. The confusing bit is that its not run through Oarbits in Row Pro, it in the Session Setup - Online option for the Race Night Events.

• Hi all image

Have had a good session today. I find that the first 1000m and 2000m I stay at roughly the same times, but today my times got faster from 3000m onward. I knocked about 18 seconds off my 5k time and just missed out on 7000m in 30 minutes by 11 seconds. I had initially intended on going for distance but wore myself out going for the 7km time!

I hope everyone is well image

• That's good progress Vixx.

Running is a bit stop/start at the moment and I'm treading carefully with the marathon training. A couple of tendons were a bit sore so I opted for the rower, and did an easy paced half marathon staying at about 75% maxHR. The biggest success was in being able to row the distance without readjusting/stopping due to numb bum -so progress from me.

Next session will be the 4 x 1000m pete plan intervals - short and sharp
  • Thanks Also-ran. I'm finding that when I do distance work I get numb bum, and am not really sure how to work around it. I don't fancy the idea of padded shorts image

Managed 13.1km in 1:00:00 today so pleased. Kept the speed steady and didn't really have to push the tempo, so my stamina seems to be building up image

How is everyone?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Some serious mileage and times being clocked of late. How much time have you knocked off your 5k time since starting, Vixx?

Best cure for numb bum imho is a couple of layers of bubblewrap on the seat.

I should have hit the machine last night, especially since it had been snowing all day and I didn't want to run after dark in that. But Mother of Muttley was visiting so I hit the kitchen for some serious cooking and wine drinking instead image

• Since starting up again, the first 5km time I remember clocking was about 23:xx. I tend to go for distance though so wasn't pushing myself particularly.

Since I decided to tt I have gone from 22:02min to 21:28min - 34 seconds.

Good idea on the bubble wrap Muttley.

What did you cook for Mother of Muttley?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Lamb shanks with roasted vegetables. Some of the wine went into the sauce but rather more went into me.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I have to decide if I want to go for a run or a row this evening. Whenever I do it, the next row is a 5k trial, aiming to knock just a couple of seconds off previous time so hopefully 20:20 or thereabouts. But it's getting tougher ...

• Tricky choice there Muttley!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, I thought long and hard and did the decent thing - a bash on the erg image

Inspired by others going long, I decided on a 30-min warmup before hitting the 5k. So the juices were flowing when I went for it. I knocked another 3 seconds off to finish in 20 mins 19 seconds. Gradual progress towards the magic flat 20 mins but my screaming quads and the sweat splatters around the erg tell their own story. Don't know how much nearer I'll get.

The post-erg cuppa is really hitting the spot right now image

• Second by second Muttley - you are chipping away at that erg and  WILL beat itimage

I was going to do a long steady row at lunch of 15k, but time ran out and changed to a planned 12.5k, and than became 10k as my time became squeezed.

In the end I took out my frustration on the erg and managed 39:53. Definitely not steady territory for me as my heart rate continued rising throughout the row, and definitely harder work than a sub 40min 10k run for me.

So now I have a history of one 10k road race, and one 10k row TT. I'm definitely more suited to a 'gentlemanly stroll' around half marathon and marathon courses. Anaerobic stuff can be pure evil - the last 250 meters were brutal.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Heh, an impromptu 10k time trial ... that's got to hurt image

No erging for me today, after yesterday's fun. So a lovely long slow run through the Oxfordshire countryside, just over 14 miles, cold and frosty air, lungs and tubes well and truly clear.

For some reason the harder I hammer the erg the evening before, the better the next day's run is.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I've upgraded my steady row from 45 mins to 2 x 30 mins with a short break to stretch legs and back and take on a little water. That was today's session, which concludes the fourth time round the block with the Pete Plan. Back to week 1 to start with those 500m sprints ...

I like erging in a nice warm conservatory, as the snow falls outside image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

No running for me while there's snow on the ground. Call me a wimp but without off-road shoes etc and with packed ice on the pavements round here, I'm putting it on hold.

So just as well that I have the erg image

Hitting it every day now, racking up those metres and knocking out those intervals for the fifth cycle of the Pete Plan ... lovely image

• I managed to get my long run in on Friday before the snow. It is all treadmill at the gym or erging at the moment. Managed a 25k easy row at the weekend, nice and warm indoors watching a DVD. Back to the speed intervals next
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The dreadmill .... urrrrgh.

I'm working on lengthening the easy rows. I think the big factor is mental rather than physical stamina.

Progress on the 5K target today. Done in 20:12, which is 7 seconds knocked off the previous bash. Only this time I held it together to the end and even negative splitted so who knows, it might be doable ... hr was close to max at the end though.

• I think you are right Muttley - long easy rows is more of a mental challenge. Once you can switch you mind off, and stop watching the meters clock up, it gets easier.

I am back to those pesky 8 x 500m intervals. Short, sharp and blister inducing.

While in the gym today, I went on the model D's - first time in several months. I adapted back to it quickly, after overcoming the sensation of being whizzed back to the pull position (feels very different on the Dynamic). The D is notably quieter. Took a bit of time to adapt to going back and forward compared to the relatively static seat position on the Dynamic (not sure I could read a Kindle on the D on a long row image)