Achilles tendonitis (maybe)

Hi everyone,

I have been having some trouble with my achilles tendon and wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. Usually I would rely on internet research, but the information is rather unclear for this one!

I have been been doing a mixed training programme of cardio (mainly running) and weights for a race this weekend. I train for an hour or more most days of the week and have had a relatively 'injury free' year at this level of intensity.

My training partner and I decided to mix it up a bit about two weeks ago and went walking for a weekend. After about 7h fast paced walking, I started to get pain about an inch and a half up the back of my achilles. At the time, I thought it was simply because my boots were too tight. That evening, I noticed a swollen lump in the same position. Having travelled to Snowdonia, I wasnt going to let something like an ill fitting boot (or so I thought) stop me doing a similar full day of walking the next day and I switched to my running trainers thinking this would solve the problem.

After that, the pain was worse, and i noticed that as i flexed my foot up and down, there was an almost audible creaking/cracking noise (and feeling) coming from my tendon. Anyone touching the area can feel that it's not moving properly.

I took a week off and lots of ibuprofen, but the creaking feeling is still here almost two weeks later.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, what do you think has happened and how long might it take to heal?

Thanks

Comments