Mental illness and running

Comments

• Yup. I'm trying to decide whether to try breathing into his ears to make him move or if that would make him snap at me
  • I guess you've got to decide that his bark is worse than his bite and go for it.

• Would a bigger hug help?  ((((((by eck)))))) That's all I've got.

• Yay!  Try shouting 'Walkies!'.

• He's not hugely scary, just very good at getting in the way
  • I need to do a 2 and a half hour swim LR, but the adult only session is only 2 hours long in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.  I don't really want to go too late as then it makes it difficult with dinner

• Well I'm heading out to the woods at 2.00.  The VRC run is on if you can make it.  Oh, and SD, I am doing jobs between all these posts, honestly.

• Yesterdays 4 miler turned into a 10k as my ipod / Nike+ sensor was playing up so just thought 'sod it' and did a distance / route a knew....maybe shouldn't have done the 5k today though...am now being a grump cos my time was rubbish. Have developed a really good skill of being able to beat myself up! OH keeps telling me not to get obsessed with times, but me and my brain say 'yup he's right ya know' then go and do the exact opposite ....if only I could switch that bloomin' little voice off!!!

• ((())) to all those that need.
    we went to a neighbours house for a few hours last night, for a little party, well very grown up nibbles and drinks and chatting really. Mr CJ was OK and found chatting to others seemed to ease his worries, it certainly helps being able to talk.
    No run for me today, but did get on my exercise bike for a while.
    Sorry if I don't pop in too often, but will keep up with all thats going on.
    Leaves a pile of (()) for future use.

• CJ, your avatar is in a swimming costume.  Does that mean you are a swimmer too?

• Another no-run for me.  Got out to the woods again.  Not so much anxiety problems today as just couldn't be bothered.  Felt like I'm fat and overweight and always will be so what's the point.  I'm OK about it though - just decided my time would be spend more productively on other things and try to get myself in a better frame of mind to have another go tomorrow.

Sharon - it's a difficult one re being disappointed with times.  I think it's important to set targets to keep motivated and ultimately feel a sense of achievement.  Inevitably, in doing so, it's disaapointing when you fail to meet targers.  I think the important thing to do is remember that running is something that should be enjoyed.  I always have a poor run whenever I do the Lincoln 10k.  The atmosphere of the event is brilliant and I should just enjoy being a part of it, despite how badly I run.  It is easier said than done though.

• Right, I'm off swimming in a minute.  I'll report back in on the number of people in the pool later.

• Just popping in to say hell again. thanks for the offer. I dont normally drink but I had a few last night image 4 cans and 4 bottles of foster. That is a lot for me, I hadnt eaten either. I do not drink that in a month never mind a night. 

So as rough I was this morning, I still went out for a 7 Mile run, if I did not do it I know then I would be disappointed in myself. So even though I was definately not in the mood and could have easily given it a miss I still did it. I certainly felt better for it in the end. 

So I gues I get a tiny feel in what you feel like, by using that as an example, well it the best I can give, not understanding depression or having a Mental Illness. 

My first question is then do you all have a Mental health Nurse signed to you. If you do have one how long do you stay with the Mental Health Nurse or do you have a few. 

If you do have one, how long did it take before you were assigned one. 

• I would like to mention a training tip actually. When you training they should be relaxing runs not racing runs. Infact what every your fastest time is you should train between 1 to 2 minutes slower. Longer Steady Miles let the body adapt better. 

If I raced all the time on training I would be off the road more then on it. 

• Afternoon. 6.5 miles in the bag. image 

Sharon - I can relate to the feeling let down over times. If it helps, I now either run to time or leave my watch behind. Haven't used my garmin for running in ages. To run to time I go for half then turn round and run back again. I vary the route so I don't get obsessed about wanting to go further before I need to turn round. Today was a run round Bushy Park which I know is just over 6 miles so I didn't take a watch. Most of my training is endurance so I need to go a slow pace anyway, but I got so disheartened last year that I hardly ran at all and missed a few races that I'd entered. In fact I hardly did any swimming or cycling either so now I'm just pleased to be out there. Interestingly, my pace picked up as soon as the antidepressants kicked in. 

Have a good swim Caz, I will catch up on your blog soon. 

TR - I think you will find that we are all very different in how we manage our health, and the symptoms can vary a lot too. One thing we do all seem to have in common though is that running (or swimming) helps significantly.  

• Hi Caz, yes I swim, and bike and run. Well to be honest the run is more a begining again run/walk at the moment. I get injured easily so doing a little bit of 3 sports is better for me than just pounding the roads/trails plodding along.

• Well done, SD. 

I would agree that I think things are different for each of us on here so the following is just how it is for me.  Firstly, I would say I don't have a mental health nurse.  I have struggled with depression for a long time, but last year was my worse and I ended up on anti-depressants for the first time a couple of months ago.  I have said to my GP that I would prefer not to have to take things further if I can because I think it's important not to let my problems become known in the workplace.  I may have to re-think that if I cannot cope without further help.  As for the running, although you're trying to help, the training tip you gave is quite meaningless to me.  My 10k times during last year covered a range of 8 minutes and how I run when I'm out depends entirely on how I feel at the time.  In addition to that, it's often hard to know how I feel until I'm out there.  It ranges from - not feeling up to going out at all, going out and then not running, starting a run which then doesn't last long, going the intended distance but it's a struggle, having a good run where I usually run better the longer I've been out.  My plan for this year is to do a half marathon for the first time, but to do that I need to succeed in having a lot more runs that come into the last category.

• Hello LR, firstly thanks for the post. I give the information to reduce Physical Injuries it wasnt about the mind set if I am honest. 

That the first thing I have learned alreay, getting anti-depressants before seeing a Mental Nurse for advice. I wonder when I Mental Health then actually engages. 

I did the Newark Half Marathon a few years ago pacing a 2 Hour 30 mins for some one to get round. I was massively impressed with her, she showed determination, she never really did any proper training and her physical condition was not that of a runner. 

She was under a lot of emotional pressure really, so running was her coping and enjoyment really. 

A few years later she turn out to be a decent runner now. I know she thoroughly enjoys it. If she thinks back I feel she would say running kept her positive. 

I will always remember me admiring her determination on her runs. I know what she has shown me, as started me running. Which I am grateful for. 

• SCJ I am hoping to do a Tri this year, I am not really a Great Swimmer and I certainly will not be able to afford a real decent bike. But it is the experience of doing one. The open water will hurt me though I hate cold water image but needs must as they say.

• Tri's are friendly and I did my first few races on an old second hand hybrid type of bike, I finished and enjoyed it so that was the best result I could have had. Cold water is horrible but you get used to it. I now hate swimming pools where the water is so warm its like bath water and people just stand at the shallow end talking.
    LR I know what you mean about not wanting the workplace to know, in a previous job it was hard but I got through it.

• CJ, you are a girl after my own heart.  I love OW swimming and hate the pool, but at the moment I can only do 15-30 min outside so I'm being forced to do a lot of my training in the pool.

Talking of which, today the pool wasn't too bad.  A maximum of 4 people in the double lane at any one time, although there were a real mix of abilities from much faster than me, to a couple who I was lapping every 4th length.  Not quite sure what they were doing in the fast lane but hey ho.

So, I managed to do the full 7k and it didn't hurt as much as I expected

• I didn't realise you had lane swimming during the day.  It was the lane swimming that I used to had to wait until late in the evening for.  As I recall it started off as an hour and a half but eventually reduced to an hour.  Then the pool closed altogether.image I moved onto other activities at that point.

• There are only three lanes.  Aqua takes up two lanes.  Swimming lessons take up one. While the swimming lessons are on, the parents often decide to have a swim.  So in other words, when there is anything else going on in the pool, my lane gets busy.

• I can see that could get overcrowded.  The important term there is 'my lane'.  I always had the 'what are all these other people doing in my lane' attitude.

Just Bear to report back in from our VRC runners today. How did it go, Bear?

Anyone on for a run tomorrow?  I'm going to try the nature park tomorrow.  Should be a bit quieter on a Monday to hopefully get me back on track.

• Sorry to hear it's not been a good day Bricki.  The New York trip really has caused more trouble than it's worth.  I think the important thing is that - if you are going for it- go for it and make sure you enjoy it.  I know you said you didn't want to talk to Mrs B but you have already said how supportive she is so I think it's worth trying to look to talk to her.  I do appreciate it's difficult though when thoughts are whirling around as to what you would even want to say. 

• solby reporting in, thanks for the hugs and the concern. Things are a little tough but I think they will improve. I do have a Community Psychiatric Nurse assigned to me - I've only known her about 4 months but I've had someone acting as a Key Worker for the last 8ish years. I'm working on the last of the OCD stuff and hoping to be discharged completely by June. I think the current blip is mostly paranoia so upping the anti psychotics may be the only solution. (I'm not hallucinating though - as far as I can tell)

So, so lovely to see some new faces (and the old ones of course) it's fab when the thread is lively image

I may be quiet for another day or two but I promise I'm really OK, just having to work hard to stay afloat. I'm doing all the right stuff, focusing on eating properly, remembering to sleep and getting outside each day to stop the paranoia trapping me in the house. It feels like it might be easing a bit today but I don't wanna speak too soon. 

I've read back but promptly forgot all the things I wanted to say. I'll just leave you all with massive of care and hopefully check in again tomorrow image

(VRC 2 miles planned tomorrow - thanks for the pace reassurance I was a bit saddened by my pace the other day even though I should just be thrilled to be back out there so it was a timely reminder for me that it doesn't matter so much)