2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

A nice and easy paced pre-breakfast 9.07m for me- not bad out there todayimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace - thanks for asking - odd twinge but I think I'm ok

SC - good week's training. Enjoy the day off

Spark - nice 10 miler

jason - great run y'day, and nice easy run this morning

Fiona - hope the LR is going ok

NN - nice recovery run

NP - good swim. I didn't think you ever took a rest!?

SM well done on the run and gym work

HM - hi

--

5.90m in the mud with the club this morning.  Club half marathon training starts tomorrow...they inevitably turn into a race, but it's a bit too early for me to start tempo runs, so I think I'll just run an 83% MHR job.

• Spark - thats a good pace you had there !!

Tek - I bet the mud was sticky.... enjoy the faster run tomorrow. 

Nice running as always Jason, 

A very hard 12 miles for me this morning.  felt tired, ate nothing, was dehydrated...... but I did it anyway !!

• HM4, that hill in the middle is vomit, it is not for the light hearted,

Jason, nice run to build the appetite

Teknik, we can't help ourselves as soon as there are other runners near us we have speed up, enjoy your run tomorrow
  • Nice conditions this morning, with a 19 miler done , didn't plan to go that far but felt good so kept on going a bit longer. Invested in some SIS gels which may have helped as well
  • 12.25 miles this morning in 1.42 ave pace 8.20s, which I am hoping is about my marathon pace. I ran with my club knowing it would be faster than LSR pace as this will be the best way for me to get some marathon pace practice, I will do the 12-15 milers with them and drop to a slower group for the 18-22s. So very well organised our leader even took the trouble to go out early and put out some water stops ( including cups) he took so much trouble setting up the group and planning routes its brilliant.

StewartC I am sure your group appreciate the planning you do its easy for the rest of us who just turn up and run, I try and do my bit by marshalling some of our races.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Thanks Stewart, I usually take the zig zags or up the GGW from SNH! At least I'll know what to expect if that one is suggested! imageimage

Nice easy running jason.

Teknik I tried to stay away from the mud today but it found me. image

Well done for toughing it out AGF.

Great MP run NN! Your leader is a saint, could have done with some water stops this morning!

MG well done on the 19.

I ended up doing 18.35m. Got a stitch again at mile 8, I was carrying 250ml water but had not had any so decided just to have a gel and water and that seemed to do the trick. A few miles later it had gone so maybe there is something in that dehydration thing. Felt it quite tough as nothing to drink this morning (silly mistake) so stopped at the car at mile 14 to top up the bottle. I must get a new camelbak as I hate carrying anything. Av pace 8.25mm, did not feel like a quality run but the miles are banked. image

F

• Awesome long run Fiona, I too hate carrying anything so was pleased with the water stops today as I had forgotten my camelbak.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Bit of reading backimage Stewart nice hill, love hillsimage.

Jason nice run, was nice out here even the wind had droppedimage.

Teknik great cross country running, life got in the way yesterday and by the time i could have got out I CBA so took a rest and did some core workimage.

AGF some times it's like that but makes you strong.

Stewart its the stomach in chest out thing, think everyone will do it from time to timeimage.

MG1 Very nice long run where and when is your marathon?

NN looks like you have a great leader who is taking his time and planning everything for you thats brilliant.

Well just over 10 miles for me this morning, 2 miles easy warm up, 3 mile park run, 5 miles steady. Very happy with the park run 18:34 I was in 7th place up until the last 200m when I was chicked by 3 very fast young ladies (Wish I was in my 20's again lol) totally busted in the final 50m and came in 10th, but very happy with the way my training is going and this run. image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cross post....

Great 18.35 miles there Fiona and No OCD to make it up to .50image great that you had a bottle of water in the car, it sounds like it must be a hydration thing evertime you get a stitch. But your putting plenty into the bank for April.image

• No pain, I am doing the Rotterdam marathon on the 14 th of April, felt quite good earlier with a time of 2.44.07 although conditions were good with little wind and not too warm

Will be my first marathon so it's into the unknown!
  • Fiona/MG - nice long runs

Jason/AGF/Tek/NN - Good running

NP - Good parkrun, I slept in for mine!

---

Couldn't fall asleep last night, so wasn't getting up at half 8 for a runimage Went to the gym once I got up, might go for a run this evening. I had planned to have a non-running day tomorrow, so I could just postpone todays run a day.

• Hope You're running well Emmy

Fiona/MG/Jason/AGF/Tek/NN/NP - Good running
    lots of mud aroundimage

Swim and 15.5 miles for me (I think the longest distaNce since Loch Ness) on a lovely morning. New route for me mostly road but some trail and some just following the coast with no path. One section in the dunes was a bit like a motor scrambling course! image

Now dark and raining againimage

• Fiona, To be fair I'm not sure which way Craig takes his group up to the mast, but I was taken up that way by Gordie.  Good run image I also don't like to carry a bottle I've got a waist belt thing which is OK but I don't particularly like it.

NN, At this time of year the routes are very uninspiring, we tend to keep to the well lit and paved streets, not really an issue in a place like Inverness, but there are only so many 4/5 mile loops you can make-up from the same start point.

OH, sounds like a good run

NP, I hope I can keep it to a minimum image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I can imagine.  I always find going up easier than down for some reason.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.  1.2 miles done yesterday and no aching legs so that's a vast improvement on last week.  I'm going to take things slowly until I get to 3 miles then start a 10k training plan.  Does anyone have any recommendation?  (I'm still going to be looking at running 3 times per week so if it's a 5 times per week plan will be modifying it)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF well done for battling through the 12m

Stewart - too right, thanks

MG well done on that 19 miler

NN well done on the 12.25m - nice paceimage

Fiona good job on the 18.35m - sorry you're still getting the stitch

NP nice total yesterday - lol @ parkrun fun

Stuart well done on getting out to the gym

Emmy good luck today on day 2

OH nice long run - well done on the new routeimage

HM well done, glad the legs are ok

-----

Club Half Mara training started today. Predictably it turned it to a race. Predictably it was me that caused it.  So all thoughts of sticking to 83%max went out the window (although it wasn't too much higher until the sprint finish).

Came in 3rd out of 33 - 6.6 miles at av. 7.26mm - so 30 secs per mile faster than the same route last year. At 10k + 21 secs that looks like my new Half paceimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Fantastic parkrun NP! You'll know to watch out for those ladies the next time! image

Sounds a nice run OH.

Having seen the map don't think I've done the mast that way Stewart. Clava hill run this morning, only 6 miles but a nice hilly run and as usual a bit breezy up there!

Well done on the run HM4, I can't think of any 10k plans other than the RW ones although there are some plans at the back of Daniels Running Formula if you have that book.

SM hope you managed to rejig your training!

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post, great run Teknik! image

F

• Nice long runs OH, NP and fiona.

Teknik, first day was destined to be like that haha.

13 miles for me today. mile1 down to the park then 3.4 uphill to meet my cousin. Just over 4 miles on some really hilly trails, then ran home. Decided to pick up the pace on the last three miles and finished strong. Was nice to have some Company for part of it for once image

Distance:13miles. Time: 1:59:56  

Splits: 9:40,  8:53,  9:28,  9:25,  9:07,  9:18,  9:25,  11:22,  10:35,  9:13,  8:01,  7:48,  7:35.

• Tek a very impessive pace indeed !!! that is the problem with club runs they do turn into races even if you dont want them to lol..I have decided for my mid week MLR on wednesday I shall run 3 miles to club DROP DOWN a group to run with the 9 s to 9-30s, who will end up doing 8.30s to 9s...rather than the 8.30s to 9s who will end up doing 8 to 8.30s....I am sure you know what I mean, do 7 with them then run 3 miles back.

Spark it makes all the difference doesn't it to have company for long runs nice 13 for you.

I met my brother for my 15 today he is a bit slower than me (and targeting 4.15) which I didn't mind anyway after yesterdays mara @ pace 12, he was scheduled 11 so we did 11 miles in 1 hour 45 ish then I did then last 4 @ 9s to finish my 15 in 2.22

61 miles for the week !! 

• Totally, problem is I don't know anyone that runs apart from my cousin and she couldn't live much further away in Brighton lol. Nice 15 from yourself image
  • Spark are there any clubs near you.

Been stalking on fetch lol to see who logs there training there I found Fiona Tek NP and some P&Ders anyone here else log their training on there ?

• I'd imagine so, I live in Hamilton,

Only ten miles from Glasgow. But I work away Monday to Friday so don't think I'd get the benefit.
  • OH - Nice long run, and swim!

HM - Well done

Tek - Well done on the 3rd place!image Nice pace

Spark - Nice run, good splits

NN - Good run today, and great total for the week!

---------

6.25 for me today - averaging 8.50 something. 30 miles for week and they all felt goodimage

Long run (well, maybe 11-12 miles) tomorrow

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nice long runs, NN, OH, NP, Spark (longishimage) and NNimage

NN- I'm on Fetch tooimage as .... jasondimage

Great confidence boosting run for me todayimage 18m with 1095m ascent (first half all uphill, second half downhillimage) in 2.04.45 (6.56 av) splits: 7:23 7:26 7:19 7:26 7:24 7:21 7:15 7:07 7:05 6:41 6:41 6:44 6:38 6:34 6:36 6:26 6:25 6:12

Other good news= 2.2 lbs weight loss this week and 100.74m run for the week. My first 3 figure week for a few monthsimage 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik nice group trainingimage.

Spark nice running even splits.

Fiona sounds like a nice 6 mile run.

HM4 iff you ran 5 times a week even if its only 4 or 5 miles it's the start of a plan for your 10k raceimage

NN well done on your long run and 61 miles for the week build build build. You still need some photos on Fetch lol.image

SM6 Nice running enjoy your medium long run tomorrow.

Just over 18 miles for me in the mist this morning, i ran the first 8 on my own then met up with my mate for the last 10 this breaks it up a little but after next weekend i'm on my own as he is going on holiday lucky sod lol.....image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason cross post, fantastic long run at this stage and fantastic milageimage well done sir.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- well done yourselfimage

• NN - two very good runs - Well Done.  I am on Fetch too...

Fiona / NP / Jason.  Some very good long runs. You are three folk I look up to and have inspired my improvements !!

Enjoy tomrorow longer run Stuart and well done on a solid week. 

Spark - well done on your run. Did you not take the dog?

Tek - Well done with the tempo/race. Sounds liek it blew away a few cobwebs !!!!

A rest day for me. I have enjoyed. 62+ miles for the week for me - which I am pleased with. Anywhere near 50 Miles next week Will be pleasing too....especially if I race the parkrun next week which will reduce the mileage. 

• Some excellent running going on, and many are ramping up their weekly mileage,

Fiona, did you do the culloden 1746 run back in October, that race took in some of those hills at clava cairns.

12 slow miles for me today avgHR 136(71%), keep up the good running image