Edinburgh & Berlin marathons

Hello fellow runners,

Well nice and simple - I am doing both the Edinburgh and Berlin marathons in May and September respectively - I am travelling to both on my own and was wondering if anyone else is doing them, wants to share their training experiences and in an ideal world, maybe meet up for a beer or something after the fun of running 26.2 miles.  After all - we're all runners so have at least one thing in common.

I did the Dublin and Hamburg marathons recently and although they were amazing experiences, again having travelled alone to do them I definately could have done with a celebratory drink or something in the evening - after all its a big accomplishment and the limping is more palatable when you spend it with someone else who is in the same pain image  Guess if other people are travelling to these marathons, could be good.

Hope to hear from you.

Jase

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Jase - there's a Berlin thread on here already established.

Here it is: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/berlin-marathon-2013/230267.html

Get yourself over there. They're a friendly bunch. I'm sure the same is true for an Edinburgh thread image

Good luck with your training!
  • Hi Jase

I will be doing the Edinburgh and Berlin Marathons this year well i hope i will as i have entered them lol. Did Edinburgh May 2012 which was my first Marathon at the age of 45, so thought id come back and give it another go this year, also few folk from the club i have joined did Berlin 2012 and gave very good reports so thought id try that.

We stayed out at next to the Finish line last year at a local campsite in our Motorhome and they run busses to the start in the morning of the race. So more than likely be doing the same this year, found that most of the campsite had runners staying there. It meant my Wife and Daughter could watch me as i passed the 10mile mark and then walked the mile to the finnish where they watched the rest of the race until i finished.

will have a look at Berlin thread also.

• Thanks Lorger.  I've dropped a message into the Berlin thread too.

I've managed Dublin, London and Hamburg before - normally do one a year - some reason in a fit of wisdom I chose to do two this year - my legs are not impressed.  I've heard mixed things about Edinburgh - I gather its fast - but heard some mixed messages about the organisation (and that apparently its not really in Edinburgh).  Will still be good tho.

• Hi Jase

It's been my only one so far so can't compare it to anything but I really enjoyed it. I know the year before they had complaints about the finish and they changed it for last year so thing that is now all ok.

As for not being in Edinburgh you start in the city centre and finish about 6 or 7 miles outside, it is run along the costal road so after the first 10 mile it becomes more countryside going through small towns and villages and had loads of folk out cheering everyone on so I think you will enjoy it.
  • Yeah to be honest I am not too worried about it not ending in the city - I mean it would be good if it did - Dublin took you into Pheonix park and ended in the centre where the crowds were thick - but I don't mind such things.

Did you do a good time?

• Hi there, I am also running Berling and Edinburgh this year, have never run either of them. Should have run Berlin last year but was injured. Is there a specific thread for Edinburgh as well?

• I was looking for a thread for Edinburgh as well, but could only find threads selling/wanting places....

I did Paris in 2012 ( first ever marathon) and am doing Edinburgh this year ( to conicide with flying to edinburgh for Grandmother's 80th). Nervous as I ran with someone in Paris and will have to go solo this year..

• Hi Carla.  Guess we can see if can get some more going on this thread.  How is the training going?  Mine has been interesting...in that a historic archiles injury has knocked me out for two weeks and still playing up.

I'm also doing Edinburgh solo (I tend to travel to marathons on my own) - London and Dublin was fine as met up with people on the route and made new friends - but Hamburg was tough, didn't see another Brit so was a lonely plod.  I was hoping, if get chatting to folk, may share the training stories and maybe meet up to celebrate after (or run together if looking at the same pace)