On The Wagon For January

Comments

• l never drink in the house, l just used to look forward to getting hammered at weekends. At the minute though money is tight after xmas so l dont really have the option of drinking just now. My real test will begin when l get paid again in a fortnight.

Anyway, first friday out the way and went for a 14k run earlier (few walk breaks thrown in as well if im honest)

Bacon is slowly sizzling away just now. image

Good luck for tonight everyone. Fat fella that is some mighty will power being shown there to ignore the atlantic ocean of booze sat in your garageimage

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭

Evening all,  day 5 underway, friday night passed with no issues & even stopped off at the local with Mrs M today after a session at the gym to watch the Welsh National ( I lost, she won )    She had a couple of halfs and i had two pints of orange juice.  

The test will be Liverpool v Mansfield tomorrow (at the local) but i did this last year right through to the Wokingham Half so am confident will cope.  

Good luck all

• Can I join you please?  I am on day 5 of no alcohol whatsoever.  I usually have at least a bottle of wine on a Fri/Sat/Sun and maybe another day if I can get away with it.  From Friday before Xmas I have had at least a bottle of wine every night up until NYE when I went off with a bang!!!

I am running my first ultra (Thames Trot 50) on 2nd Feb and decided several months ago I wanted to ditch the alcohol in Jan and hopefully lose at least half a stone at the same time.

So far so good, I have had a bottle of Becks non-alcoholic beer on two occasions and am feeling alot less bloated for it.

I am yet to feel better in my running though but hoping my 26 miles tomorrow morning will feel easier than usual.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Liz, your story sounds a little familiar indeed! Your most welcome aboard! Right, I'm off to the pub for birthday drinks! I might even push the boat and have something exotic like a....... J2O!
  • Well this is all rather expected.

First saturday in god knows how long that i've not got a drink in me and im laid in bed trying to count sheep owing to insomnia like symptoms.

Think i'll read this thread from page 1 and see how far l can get.

Hope everyone else is doing ok anyway.

• Evening all.

I'm up later than usual as well tonight Gareth - but that's a good thing.

Had a nice tuna steak tonight washed down by cloudy lemonade instead of wine!

Day 5 and 2/3rds of the weekend done.

• Well that was my first Sat night without a vino since the beginning of time.  I was pottering around the house doing bits and pieces driving my hubby MAD as he just wanted us to settle down and watch a film as we usually would (he still had his beer).  I just had far too much energy.  Not sure if it was the lack of wine or knowing I had to be up early to go for an LSR.

• Morning

Well done folks

Ye old dragon - I have tried most things over the years but I think its a quieten themind down and learn to stop dwelling on things that might not happen and are never as bad as you imagine when they do

I think I am safely over the first weekend which is the first danger - lots more boredom at the moment han during the week -- about to sort my social life out but not drinking won't be an issue I have often gone out and drunk soda and lime - nice and refreshing

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone and well done! Excellent efforts all round. We should all be very pleased with ourselves.

That soda and lime does sound very refreshing indeed maddy! I like ice chilled lemon and lime volvic spring water. Probably a similar taste but still...
  • Morning folks. First weekend almost in the bag then. Today shouldn't be an issue as its work tomorrow so not normally a big drinking day anyway. Weird thing is, I woke with a headache this morning. must just be habit!
  • Ha ha FF, l was struggling with a headache on my LSR yesterday morning. l was like, this must just be my body resorting to type. All's well now anyway.

Excellent work people. We can definitely feel proud of ourselves for getting over the first weekend and l feel it will get easier as that's the cycle of drinking every weekend broken now. Well it is for me anyway.

Back to work after a fortnight off for me tomorrow and my next big test will be this Friday when id normally hit the pub straight after work for a few pints. When l get a car again in the next couple of weeks i'll find it much easier just to go straight home as oppossed to now when im on public transport.

Wont be long ladies and gents till we're those kind of people stood in a bar sneering at people who are drinking and acting all high and mighty with comments like "do you know what that filth does to ya? and "no mate, not drinking tonight, got a 15 mile run to take care of tomorrow"

Keep up the good work boys and girls.

• Morning waggoners. Well done on the weekend, halos all round. I stuck to my alcohol free beer and found it easier thinking that I could drink if I wanted to but was choosing not to. Does that make sense?  I really want to make this work because otherwise the only way left is total abstinance, I can't go back to every night drinking. I'll be having a Cobra over a curry tonight, unless I "choose" to take another alcohol free evening and offer to drive. But its going to my choice, not a feeling of having to. 

• What ever gets you by soup mate.

Sunday when the footy is on is usually all the excuse l need to head down to the pub.

• Not had a beer since Christmas Eve.

• Gareth, my test will also be on Friday after a week back at work.  I LOVE a drink on a Friday night -it's going to be a non-alcoholic Becks for me.  I am THAT determined  image

I ran 26 miles today on day 6 of not drinking and was hoping to notice a difference but not yet.  Perhaps I'm still detoxing and will feel the effects in another week.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Fantastic miles there liz!! Are you training for something specific? You definitely deserve an exotic soda water tonight!!!
  • Am sitting here drinking an alcohol-free Erdinger beer, 'cos beer goes with curry!

10km run yesterday, 2400m swim this morning - determined to get my speed and fitness back.

• What are the alcohol-free beers and wines like, does anyone know? I used to quite like my red wine with a meal and thats the hardest one for me to give up. Not sure if its even worth trying the alchol-free ones...?

Managed just over 9 miles today. Happy days. Think I'm back in the game and unless anything dramatic happens, I should be OK for my half marathon in February. image

• Mr F, thank you.  I'm training for my first ultra - the Thames Trot on 2nd Feb. I start my taper now which is very welcomed!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Elli, I too am a fan of red. Can't say I've ever seen an alc free red wine, even if they DoD one I can't see it being up to much! Good news on the 9miles today, decent mileage coupled with abstinence can only be a good thing!

Liz, I tried desperately to get in the trot bit was top slow off the mark so missed out. Bit gutted as have the Thames hundred at the end of march so that would have been perfect prep. Quick 3 mile trot around the block for me tonight cos am.just too tired for anything more strenuous this evening!
  • I'm sat here with a very big mug of liquorice and peppermint tea.... Tastes yummy, and I'm feeling pleased with myself and celebrating a successful first dry weekend of the month... image

Well done everyone!

YP
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Horlicks done, now bed! That tea sounds interesting yp!
  • There are some red alcohol-free wines that don't taste too bad, but can't say I'm a fan. The white ones are awful.

Erdinger alcohol-free weizen beer, brewed near Munich, is the only one I've ever tasted that is good. We always have a crate of it in the cellar, our tri club bar serves it, and it's the finisher drink at many races here in Germany.

• I don't believe it !! the wagon is still rolling image

This wagon has been rolling for years now and I keep falling off, do I have issues ??

Day 6 for me and feeling good, training for the local Duathlon March the 10th at Starthclyde park. Something positive to focus on............

WWWWAAAAGGGGOOONNNNSSSS RRRROOOOLLLLLLLL   image

• Hello Scottish - the thread daddy image

Tonight marks the first week over and done with

• evening waggoners image

good to get the first week done - aiming for double figures now.image

• How are we all? As Maddy says that's the first week done so well done everyone.

BI you are right. That Erdinger stuff is ok and makes a pleasant change from fizzy drinks or squash!
  • evening all, day 7 done and dusted image life has been very stressful at the moment, it's all good stuff but a lot of decision making and things going on that I have to think about :S never good for the ole noggin

had my counselling session at ADAS today and it felt good to say I was off the grog for a month and successfully negotiated the first week. especially as I've been given a drink diary to complete image

I'm also going to bite the bullet and ask doc for a blood test to see what my liver function is like after years and years and years of drinking serious amounts of alcohol. bit scary but best to know I guess 

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Nice positive day there then loon! Out of interest what does ADAS stand for??
  • alcohol and drug support services, something along those lines anyway image