Cambridge Boundary Run 2013

What an absolute bargain! £10 to enter. For that you get a flat course, changing facilities, shower and a free t-shirt. Even those undecided can still just enter on the day for £15. It's a 12 noon start, so public transport from south of the river is possible too. I'm definitely in.

Comments

• I've made my interest known too. Sounds good, hoping to tackle the hm version if they go ahead with that option. Anyone ran this before?
  • Interestingly enough, we have a new club member in Epsom who has just moved here from there, and he did it last year, and said it was a good race. The entry details even, very rarely, allow for an option to do the half and then decide whether you want to keep going the whole hog or not.

• Did this one earlier this year. It is well organised and as people have said it is easy to switch between full & Half Marathon. The second half is more sceanic than the first half. The only thing they couldn't organise was the weather, it was bucketing with rain and freezing cold.image

• Parts of this were off-road and very muddy, and directions were sketchy in places, but we managed to do this without getting lost.  Well organised event with good facilities.  Hoping for better weather next year!!

• I'm hoping to do this this year, it's my first marathon, though. Recommended for a first?

I usually run on road and occassionally through countryside on mud tracks through the forest etc but usually when the weather permits. I'm a bit worried it's going to be a proper cross country mud-athon!

• Does this race attract any older runners? I'm looking for a first ever half marathon to run, but at 50+ am I going to be really out of place in this event?

• Sorry, I meant hope not out of place, rather than hope it doesn't attract any older runners. We certainly won't be the only two, I can assure you.

• Thanks Paul. However, it looks as if it might be a bit soon for my post-Xmas training schedule. Might go for an on-the-day entry though.

• I'm sure you will be ok Caroline. I've done nothing since the week before Xmas, apart from eat and drink, but am still going to tackle the full distance based on two months solid (hopefully) training, starting Tuesday of this week.

• Who wants my place? I have booked the Cambridge Half the week after and, based on how I felt at a half marathon on the weekend gone, now don't think it wise to do both. It's for marathon or half, totally transferable. PM me if interested.

• Is it the same weekend then ? If not I might take it
  • Hi Amanda; it's the weekend previous to the Cambridge Half, but they're not allowing entry transfers owing to being over-subscribed!

• Hello! I'm just wondering if you still have your plaxce and are wanting to transfer it - my brother is looking for a place and would be happy to pay you your entry free. Thanks, Alex image

• Alex - as I said, they're not allowing transfers. I attempted to do so for someone who PMd me but was turned down flat.

• Ah, I see. Sorry, wasn't sure so thought I'd ask. Hoping I might be able to find someone that is just happy for him to run with their number.

If anyone has a place they no longer need and is willing to do so, please get in touch. image

Thank you, Alex

• Does anyone know if the route is marshalled or if we need to run with a map for directions? I had a look at the 2010 race details on the CUHH website and participants were given a map and booklet with directions to follow.

• I sincerely hope there are marshalls as I can't read a map.

• Me neither. I'm rather worried now that I'll get lost, especially after the comments by Fall Queen that "directions were sketchy in places".

• I've just realised that the race is imminent. Has anyone had a number yet, or do we collect on the day? I couldn't see anything at all about the race even taking place on the website, so I think I'll email the organiser(s), just in case. My cheque has cleared so I assume I'm in.

I also assume the 12 a.m. start referred to here on RW means noon rather than midnight, but had better check on that too.

• Paul, the below text is from the email that was sent out:

Registration will open at 10 30 (race starts at 12). Numbers etc. to be
    collected on the day. We have changing rooms and a registration room in the
    Holiday Inn which will be locked so you can leave your things there if you
    wish. We will also bring bags to the half marathon finish, in the event of
    bad weather please make use of this to get warm clothes to put on.

• And Paul, I just checked the spreadsheet, if you're an Epsom runner then you are on the list.

• Many thanks for that, 7ds. Yes, that'll be me. My email must have been lost somewhere in the ether, but no matter, as at least I'm in.

• Good luck everybody. Get plenty of sleep tonight - damn, knew I'd forgotten something! Don't drink too much tonight - damn, really must stop soon! You'll all be fine, as you've done all the training now - damn, is it really tomorrow?

• Great racing at the Cambridge Boundary Mara on Sunday. Wasn't expecting much so just headed off fairly brisk to see what happens.

Didn't wear a watch so no idea of halfway splits. Hard to tell who is half and who is full distance racers so quite easy to get pulled along by the half marathoners.

The first half is about 80% Tarmac, 2nd half probably 50% Tarmac so in effect there is loads of Tarmac for an off road trail mara.

Hardly any mud, the off road sections were very fast.

From mile 14 I started to lose the stalker on my tail. Which was nice and then I started to reel in the runners ahead. At a checkpoint at mile 17ish I asked the lass how many had come through, she said 4. Cool! Good chance to scrape a podium finish. I soon catch up the next man who is fading fast, in the distance I can see another one. Catching him is taking time. He ain't slowing, damn, I'll have to pick things up, I keep eating food/gels to make sure I don't dip, slowly but surely I am reeling him, this is great fun! I'm getting closer but then realize a chap behind me is making fast progress. Damn, getting caught myself now. Put the smack down.

I eventually catch the next man, man behind can't be seen, but the chap I overtake won't give it up easily and keeps pushing. I can hear his steps. I thought he would give it up straight away but no he fights on. But this is great for both of us as the guy up front is being caught. I have a suspicion that he could possibly be the race leader. I want this race now. I push on harder n faster just a mile to go. Thankfully chap behind gives up the ghost which just leaves me to catch the 'leader'. I catch him at about 25.75 miles. I power home just in case he tries to steal it back. Relief, finish line. I just want to know my position, which turns out to be 5th place, oh well still happy, but especially happy when told 3h07.

Very chuffed and very unexpected.

So, false info from marshall at feed station gives me the impetus to push on faster in the search of glory! Thanks for that kick up the back side!

Nice course, fast course and cheap entry plus 4 hotel rooms available at the Holiday Inn race venue/HQ for showers and changing. Amazing!

• Good write up! Sad that I missed it this year but double-booked myself. Were the directions okay? I'm thinking about doing the full mara next year.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

The course was well marked with directional arrows and flour.  I was only puzzled at one point where I couldn't see any markings and there was more than one possible path but I kept going straight ahead and soon saw the next arrow.

• I really enjoyed racing last weekend - I hardly ever race on trails but loved this event.  I will sooo be doing it again.  I was happy with my time and loved the challenge of 100+ obstacles like gates, stiles, kissing gates, cattle grids, bridges and the short muddy section was fun too.  This race is unique and my favourite ever. The flour markings were spot on (caution just before mile 24 as 2 ladies in front went the wrong way and due to a conflicting house sign but after a yell they were soon back on track).  See you next year.