Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

Comments

• jbrunner, i am exactly like you, loads of sport in the 80 (football for me at least 4 times a week). I also dont think i am stretching enough compared to what i used to do. However you will probably remember we used to run as a warm up and that is possibly why.

Runforest my lower back also ached especially at the sides, just using muscle groups that are unused for years will cause that.

• Hi everyone, 

After a few false starts in the past I have decided that this is the year I become a runner. Starting slowly with a C25K plan this week ... biggest problem at the moment is keeping myself in check as I feel like trying to run every day and also carry on running when I should be walking. Taken a day off today and hoping I don't lose momentum so going to try getting inspiration online!

Good luck all!

• To answer my own question about stretching, I have found two videos I will share with any one else wanting to know about dynamic and static stretching.

Dynamic Stretching

Static Stretching

I did this before and after my run this morning.

• Hello! Gosh, so pleased to see this thread has taken off!

I developed a sore throat and a big case of the CBAs midweek and FINaLLY went for my first run this morning. I was outside for about 2 seconds when I remembered how much I love this!

I did the first of the C25K programme, and found it easier than I expected. In fact because the programme I have downloaded to my, iPhone is a. Bit crap, I ended up running more than I should. I'm off to download the Robert Ullery podcast I used last time. The app i downloaded doesn't talk or vibrate so you have to look at the screen all the time.

The RU thing I used before is quite good and although the music is a bit dodgy I actually started enjoying it last time.

Anyway. I'm going to read back and get to know you all. I'm determined this will be my year.
  • Right. I'm up to date! Sounds like we are all in pretty much the same boat.

Lisa - great to hear about your weight loss. I'm a big fan of the low carb primal thing and believe in intermittent fasting as well, but I won't go into it as its a bit contentious! I am on day 5 now of my hard core diet and I feel better already. Cutting out the booze was a biggie for me, but necessary.

I have run before.... Well, I say"run" but like others it's more of a shuffle. But I do it for me - noone else - and I've learned that most people are actually looking at you and thinking "I wish I could be bothered to get out and run like she is" rather than "blimey, look at that lardy cow shuffling along the seafront"

The first time I tried c25k I failed at week 3, and I discovered I was try to run too fast. Once I started to think about it as a jogging programme rather than a running programme I had more success.

I ran before pregnancy and no doubt it helps. I had high hopes of being one of those people who co tinned running throughout pregnancy but the first 6 weeks of my pregnancy were so exhausting I felt like I had been hit by a bus by 1pm each afternoon, and I just stopped doing any exercise. I did walk everywhere though and once baby arrived, I decided to walk all the time, as I didn't have to think about work or being anywhere.

I think pregnancy made me fitter to be honest, so long as you dont sit on your arse for 9 months eating chocolate biscuits, the body has to work harder with the extra weight, the smaller space for your lungs etc.

Last year, I was egged on to do e great south run, which I did finish, but it took me ages. I walked most of it and it nearly killed me! It did motivate me though and I would definitely like to do it thins year. I'm trying to convince him indoors to join me.

Well. That's me. First run under my belt and the dream of a smaller arse is motivating me to go out early next week.

I agree with those who said to be careful about speed, and doing too much. The recovery days really seem to help.

Look forward to sharing this with you all!
  • Just back in from my third week 2 C25K run and really pleased. Glad I made myself take yesterday off as I was a bit achey yesterday but ready to get out again today. Using the NHS podcasts, which I think are great so far.

Minor crisis before I left the house as I discovered the hoodie I had been running in wasn't dry ... cue rustling through my drawers till I found a long sleeve, bright pink, hot weather trekking thing I bought for the Australian outback! Safe to say I looked a complete spanner with that under my running top but determined not to let what people might be thinking stop me.

Runningbella ... very impressed with you being able to do a serious diet as well as starting running again. I'd like to lose my Xmas tummy but I know I'll get sidetracked if I try and do anything else at the same time so trying to ignore it. I am off the booze too though ... partly to avoid fuzzy heads getting in the way of getting out there in the morning!

• Maisie - Im a bit of an all or nothing person to be honest. And I know exercise makes me hungry, so its damage linitation. If I didnt have a diet plan in mind I would be chuffing crisps after I get in from a run!  This way, I get home and have something on plan.

I also ended up running in a bright pink thing.  Its a running top I bought 2 years ago when I dreamed of gliding along the seafront, as a vision of loveliness - rather than the puffing fat lump shuffling along....

Anyway, I couldnt find anything else to wear so I bit the bullet and ran out the door.  I am amazed at how much clothing some people are wearing though.  Even my OH (who is on the same programme) runs with a hoodie on and a wooly hat.  I would overheat in a second dressed like that.  I noticed lots of "proper" runners wearing heavy clothes today as well.  Is it because Im so unfit that I heat up so quickly?

Right. I promised the little one a walk along the seafront and OH has promised me a coffee half way, so Im off to put some proper clothes on (currently wearing post run / post shower slobbing kit)

• Probably should have posted my thread in here tbh image I did my first run of 2013 today and feel fab image
  • Welcome Martha! Well done you. What programme are you following?
  • I did run no. 3 of week 1 Sat eve. Still a bit self conscious, but getting less and less... Started too fast and was struggling until run 3 when I slowed my pace.

My friend said she saw me fly past, but I did point out that she was in the car, so it probably looked a lot faster than it wasimage

RunningBella I wear hat cos my ears (although only little) get cold and I get earache. I look like a burglar, ha ha.

Also hubby caught me on the internet when I got back, looking at pretty new trainers and some running legging things. Everything I do costs him money image

As much as I love my Primark Trackies and hoodie and my old trainers, when I am toned and fit in 9 weeks at the end of couch25 I will deserve a reward! Also sales on at the mo, so really I will be saving him money.......

Has anyone else doing couch25 thought of a reward for themselves at the end of it?
  • @runforest As I said I started 3 weeks ago and when I completed my first 5k run I went for GAIT analysis and walked (ran) out with a new pair of running shoes!  So that now counts as my motivation to keep going.

As far as training gear goes I picked up some long sleeve running shirts from sporsdirect at £2.50 each and so far can't fault them.

@RunningBella, I agree I cannot wear too much in this mild winter weather at the moment.  Long sleeve running shirt and shorts, don't know how people can run in gloves or warm hats. As a conservative almost 40 year old male I'm not wearing any of the tight fitting clothesimage - I started with tracksuit bottoms but heated up to quickly.

I just never imagined I could enjoy running as much as I do at the moment.

• Hi  I too have a BMI of 45  I managed to lose 3 st last year but still have 5st to lose . I made various attempts at getting back to running last year having run for many years with some not bad times but I gave up to care for my parents as I couldn't fit in working full time and caring for parents plus babysitting grandchildren . Something had to give and it was my running . Now 4 years later I am totally unfit and vastly overweight . I comfort eat . 

I live in a small village and am very self conscious of my weight and kids have shouted at me when I tried to go out . 

I am about to go into the last year of my 50' s and really want to run again but I really don't know how to start  which is stupid as I have all my running diaries from 24 years ago and I see what I did then to start but I was,a lot younger and lived out in the country. No one saw me . 

One thing I notice from.my diary was that when I started 24 years ago I was as overweight then as I am now but then I hadn't already lost 3st . Last year was the heaviest I ever got . I wasn't even that heavy when pregnant . 

So where to start? 

• Oooh .. browsing running gear. I am trying to stop myself but I do need something long sleeved. But until payday I will be sweating in my hoodie I am afraid! 

runforestrun - I get really cold ears and earache too! I can't go out of the house for about six months of the year without earmuffs otherwise it's agony. What is with that? I'm going to think about what my reward might be ... me and a friend were talking about treating ourselves to a spa day last year so maybe that?

Speedy ... must be really hard living in a small community and feeling self conscious about getting out again. I have a park next to me and I always think the kids are going to say something but at least I'm anonymous in the city. I'm running with headphones at the moment so I can't hear if they are making cracks. I won't use them when I get up to longer runs I think but they help in cutting me off from the world. Might that help? Or can you get further away from where you live for the first few weeks until your confidence is up a bit? I'm sure it just needs something to get you over the difficult start?

• I really struggle with motivation so didn't run today like I'd planned image Has anyone got any tips on keeping motivated? It's that i struggle with getting out there - once i'm doing it i love it and feel so much better, but mostly i feel tired when i get home from work and want my dinner so I don't make it out. I've tried early mornings before work but that means getting up before 6am which I can't keep up. I've entered two 10k's for later on this year and ear-marked a half that I want to do in October to give me goals but I don't know what else to try.
  • Becky, I am in the same boat.  I wont ever go out in the morning. No point in pretending I will, despite best intentions.  I would need to be on my feet and out of the door by 0530.  My best time to run is in the evening and in the past this has worked for me, but I now have a child to think about and a full time job and the too difficult light just kept coming on.

I think it is a case of reshuffling your routines around a bit. This is my plan.

I get home with the little one at around 1830 and we have about 1 hour to sort him out before he goes to bed.  We then eat dinner - which I cook while OH bathes the little man.

However.  The first thing I do on walking into the house, is remove all my nice office clothes, and throw on some unattractive nasty leggings and a t shirt.  In which I slob around til bedtime.  

If I can do this - but change into my running gear instead, then half the battle is won.  Then,  I can just hand him over to the husband and run out the door.  Home in time for cuddles, then jump in a shower before dinner.

The big problem is dinner.  First of all, I am starving when I get in.  I need to plan a meal at work at about 4pm on my running days.  

Secondly, I need to find something to cook on those days that I can just chuck into the oven before I run out the door and which will be ready when I get back... and which requires minimum supervision.

We dont eat carbs, so it needs to be meat. 

Anyway, the plan is underway.  The first day this will need to be considered is Tuesday.  Ill let you know how I get on!

SpeedyG - I dont live in a small village, but I do live in a smallish town where it seems every time I go out I see people I know.  I reckon you have to suck it up (or as already suggested, drive somewhere and run out of town) as I said before, most people are looking at you and wishing they had the guts to get out there.  I overcame it by wearing a cap.  Im sure it was a crap disguise, but I felt better about it!

And that brings me onto the subject of running gear.  Im a big fan of long sleeve wicking tops, biut struggle to find decent trousers.  Some time ago I took a risk on some expensive Asics trainers which turned out to be wonderful.  They died last year, so  I took another risk and bought some new ones on the internet. It worked for me, but as others have said - gait analysis is the sensible way.  Im a bit blonde and stupid, but I was lucky with my choice.

And a post C25K treat?  I reckon some sexy running kit and I may just enter the GSR in October....see if I can beat my 2 hour time from last year!

• Hi Speedy G,

adults and children who shout things at people because of their size, shape disability etc are ignorant and stupid.

You sound like you really want to do this. It is hard to ignore and although it defeats the object a bit, maybe if you drove out of the village and went for a run it might be more enjoyable.

Have you thought about contacting a local running club. My sister went to one near us and they had "beginner' evenings to start people off. She met some nice peole who were all in the same boat as her. Not sure if she had to pay though image

ps if it cheers you up a bit I am ginger and have had years of rude comments! image

Don't let the buggers get you down.
  • Runningbella, I think that's exactly what I'm gonna have to do - head straight out after work and have a snack on the way home to keep me going. I'll just have to be more organised!

You sound like you have it all planned - Good luck!
  • The only other l could add to yourself bella and you too becky is to think about preparing meals over the weekend that you can then freeze in suitable containers that can be chucked in the oven on your return from work, get the kiddies sorted, get into ya running gear and head out the door. When your out running it's a great feeling to know tea is cooking with every step you take image

Also throwing everything into a slow cooker for a stew/hearty soup/a small roast joint etc etc before heading to work in the morning. Prepare everything by chopping the veg etc before going to bed then just lob it all into the slow cooker before you head off to work in the morning.

Doing a bolognase sauce that way is the only way to roll image

• I fully understand your time limits folks . If I tried to run in the mornings I would need to be out the door at 5am as I leave for work at 7am getting home at 7.30pm it's darkdark, I am.tired and hungry by then . How do others mmanage when you work/travel long hours?

• l think it's a case of trying to fit it into your current schedule if possible speedy.

Do you travel to work by car or bus/train?

If it's bus and train could you incorporate a run into getting home or to the station or something?

Failing that mate it's either a case of forcing yourself out once you return home or getting a lot of running in at the weekend.

• I'm so glad that this thread has taken off and that there are so many other beginners out there!

I managed to get out 4 times this week, which is the most commitment I've shown to any sort of sport since I was 18 image

The app I'm using is called... sigh... "Zombies, Run!". Yup, I'm a card-carrying SF/RPG nerd! I like it because it wraps a zombie apocalypse story around whatever playlist you choose on your phone, and then prompts you with short runs to evade, you guessed it, zombies! There is a separate 0-5k training program that fits between the first and second "missions" in the main story arc, and that's where I'm at now. I don't have to press any buttons or look at anything on the screen, all the instructions come through the headphones and all I have to do is keep moving. I'm actually anxious to keep going because you can't read ahead, you have to complete one mission (workout) to unlock the next one. It's fun, and it's working!

As for clothes, well, they don't make running gear in my size so I run in my jeans. They are slightly stretchy and very comfortable, and I wear my regular outdoor coat over them. I don't look like a runner, and no one seems to pay me any attention, suits me fine. In four weeks I'll be going on holiday to America, and I hope to have dropped at least one dress size by then so I can treat myself to something a bit cooler... My greatest expense has been my Nike Lunarglide +4 trainers that I chose on the strength of the RW shoe guide. Great stability for the overweight noobie, they're easily the most comfortable trainers I've ever bought.
  • Hi all, well done everybody!! You're out and doing it and that makes you all runners!! So feel proud of your selves! image

When I started running last time (or more accurately stumbling!) I realised that when I was huffing and puffing after 5 minutes people thought I was on my way back from some sort of serious double digit run - and to be honest I never corrected them lol, so don't sweat (forgive the pun) what people think image

And I know it's not posh but Lidl and Aldi both do amazing running gear to around a ladies size 18, not sure about men's sizes. It's really good, and very reasonably priced - but it's seasonal so you have to keep an eye out, and when it gone its gone
  • Great advice thanks MrsV. I never think to look at Lidl but it makes sense. The wicking fabric is the important thing so it doesn't matter what the style is. Also, you are right, I often pretend to the other runners that I'm just on the cool down phase from a 10 miler..... Not that I talk to them. I just exchange a sympathetic nod....

Kaye, your app sounds hilarious. I'm not into zombies, but I could see why that would be funny and motivating! A new dress size is so motivating too. Great to not think about weight,but to focus on better clothes instead.

SpeedyG, we are in the same boat. You have to move something to fit it in. I couldn't get up for a 5am run either, so I will be running out the door at about 7pm when I get home instead. And yes, I will be employing the slow cooker and a few home made frozen meals too! It is all do able but there has to be some changes.

Right. Off to pick up the little man now then home. My running day is tomorrow so tonight I prepare!
  • So, managed day one of week two.....after work! I got changed as soon as I got in - think that's the only way to do it!
  • Great reading the experiences of other enthusiastic newbies image

I've started running and am on week 4 of the 0-5k beginner plan.

I skipped a few weeks as I spent last year getting myself to a reasonable level of fitness in the gym - now I'm up for a new challenge to keep me going!

However, I'm on the treadmill at the moment - live in a bit of a dodgy area & don't fancy it in the dark. Also like the fact I can control speed, distance etc. at the mo as its all so new. Getting ready to go outside at the weekend - anyone recommend some cheapish tech that will help me stick to my run/walk & not push myself too hard?
  • Hi all. Really interesting reading. Just completed run number 3 this morning - two miles !! Majority of time jogging (can't say running -far too slow for that) but interspersed with a couple of walks. I prefer to run in the evening - don't know why but it just seems easier than the morning. Problem is my other half has usually prepared evening meal when I walk in so dilemma is - Di I eat before running or after. Actually having written that down I can see I just need to tell him I'm going to run when I get home so we'll need to eat later. Easy !!
  • Evening all!

Failed to get up in the morning to do my run (pre-back to work insomnia kept me up till 3) but got out in the evening for first run of week 3. Good sized lunch, banana when I got home and lunch just now ... worked today. First time I've run in the dark so it involved up and down the river in front of my home instead of the normal route, so probably amused the neighbours but got it done. Hi-vis something now on my list of things I need!

Kate - I read about the zombie app and wondered whether it would be any good - I love zombie films. What stopped me downloading was thinking it might actually be scary?! Does it not freak you out a little?

Mrs V - do Lidl and Aldi sell there stuff at any particular time of year? I expect there'll be a thread in the gear section ... think I'm going to have to seek out some chep stuff. Runnin in my hoodie a wooly hat from Iceland (the country) today!

• Maisie - No, it's not scary at all, it's not a shoot 'em up or anything like that. As you walk/run you get little messages through your headphones telling you that you've picked up items like medical kits, boxes of ammunition, sports bras, etc. When you get a zombie warning you have to speed up. If you don't go fast or far enough, you simply drop some of the supplies you've collected to distract the zombies and make your escape. It would defeat the purpose if they actually let you die! After your session you log into their website and distribute your loot around your compound, the more stuff you come back with, the stronger your town becomes. It's that simple, nothing to be scared of image

• Becky, I am in the same boat.  I wont ever go out in the morning. No point in pretending I will, despite best intentions.  I would need to be on my feet and out of the door by 0530.  My best time to run is in the evening and in the past this has worked for me, but I now have a child to think about and a full time job and the too difficult light just kept coming on.

I think it is a case of reshuffling your routines around a bit. This is my plan.

I get home with the little one at around 1830 and we have about 1 hour to sort him out before he goes to bed.  We then eat dinner - which I cook while OH bathes the little man.

However.  The first thing I do on walking into the house, is remove all my nice office clothes, and throw on some unattractive nasty leggings and a t shirt.  In which I slob around til bedtime.  

If I can do this - but change into my running gear instead, then half the battle is won.  Then,  I can just hand him over to the husband and run out the door.  Home in time for cuddles, then jump in a shower before dinner.

The big problem is dinner.  First of all, I am starving when I get in.  I need to plan a meal at work at about 4pm on my running days.  

Secondly, I need to find something to cook on those days that I can just chuck into the oven before I run out the door and which will be ready when I get back... and which requires minimum supervision.

We dont eat carbs, so it needs to be meat. 

Anyway, the plan is underway.  The first day this will need to be considered is Tuesday.  Ill let you know how I get on!

SpeedyG - I dont live in a small village, but I do live in a smallish town where it seems every time I go out I see people I know.  I reckon you have to suck it up (or as already suggested, drive somewhere and run out of town) as I said before, most people are looking at you and wishing they had the guts to get out there.  I overcame it by wearing a cap.  Im sure it was a crap disguise, but I felt better about it!

And that brings me onto the subject of running gear.  Im a big fan of long sleeve wicking tops, biut struggle to find decent trousers.  Some time ago I took a risk on some expensive Asics trainers which turned out to be wonderful.  They died last year, so  I took another risk and bought some new ones on the internet. It worked for me, but as others have said - gait analysis is the sensible way.  Im a bit blonde and stupid, but I was lucky with my choice.

And a post C25K treat?  I reckon some sexy running kit and I may just enter the GSR in October....see if I can beat my 2 hour time from last year!

• Very odd. Im not sure why my post from a couple of days ago has reposted itself!  Ignore me.