Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Thank you to everyone! I've posted my race report here with a few pics from the 2days. I particularly enjoyed RS calling me: Endurance Emmy!

you're welcome image

• can the list fairy remove me from the list for the haweswater and liversedge half....haven't entered them after all and won't now due to family commitments...so will be doing race pace on both weekends solo

Happy new year all btw!

Nothing much to report from me - training ticking along and first fall of 2013 last night so grazed hands.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Neil - he sounds like my osteo...I love the witchcraftery of it all....!  Sounds like he might be unbending you though which is good news.  Take it easy while you recover.

Danniirr - will they let you take 24 hours?  Just think of the Value Per Step image

• Oh calling list fairy please add my: "tough Guy" adventrue 6miler 20th january to the list.  37 entrants and only 3 girlies!!!  Guess we'll be last then but smiling and laughing all the way!!!  Any tips on rope climbing please...

Just off out for a trott with the boys prior to speed track session this evening - at least I'll enjoy this one.  

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Well done Emmy. Did you sleep in those medals?

I wasn't allowed to...image they were clattering all over the place.

Princess Fiona wrote (see)

Emmy:  wow - congratulations Mont St Michel will be a doddle for you!!!

I'm still getting my 'pass' for Mont St Michel... it's close to our anniversary and he doesnt fancy a weekend in France for it!

Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - you are Wonder Woman. I wonder how you managed 2 marathons in 2 days image

Serious question (sorry). I notice that you are aiming at improving your marathon time.You also have quite a few marathons planned this year. It's obvious that you're very fit and mentally strong. Have you considered that you might be able to improve your time by reducing the number of marathons that you run?

There must be a lot of strain on your body having to be in a permanent state of peak fitness, rather than being fully trained and then tapering for a key event.

Tell me to MYOB if you've already covered this - I won't cry - but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I should add that in no way am I entitled to give you advice as you ran more marathons this weekend than I have, in total,

@Orbutt - you're more than welcome to ask. I'm more than happy to talk about it. You're absolutely right - it would probably do me better to rest more but i've found that my legs work better when they're tired so its abit of an experiment for me. How much is good and how much is too much. I've worked better on higher mileage months and in Autumn last year (Sept-Nov) I was racing 25km/half marathons/marathons every weekend and getting faster as the period continued. I ended on 4.55 at Amsterdam.

The biggest thing for me is quality rest. This week is lower mileage and i'm focusing on good nights sleep and keeping a very good diet to ensure that I don't get sick. If I feel that I'm sick or not up to it - I won't run a race.

I was talking to some of the 'seasoned' marathons and one suggestion was to go through 'peaks' and lower peaks. Like P&D have their higher mileage - have higher mileage 'seasons'. If I look at my races - i'm not due to run another marathon until Malta (24th Feb) and then it's Paris (7th April), so between those two points -I can rest and add in some quality runs and work on tempo and then in April/May/June - have higher mileage months and then focus on the build up to autumn over the summer. 

I hope that makes sense?

Dannirr wrote (see)

TD - feeling a lot better now, still a residual cough and some wheezy breathing (unrelated to visual stimuli), so I'm hoping the coming weekend will work out ok. Given that I have always planned on a fun run, and not a race, I'm fine with it.  I'm starting to look at it like this: longer time on he course = better value for money (something hard to do at Disney) image

Will do a couple of short runs still on Wed and Thur this week.

In Seven Dwarf terms, my BRF is still Snow White, and I've gone fro

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    cont'd
    Dannirr wrote (see)

TD - feeling a lot better now, still a residual cough and some wheezy breathing (unrelated to visual stimuli), so I'm hoping the coming weekend will work out ok. Given that I have always planned on a fun run, and not a race, I'm fine with it.  I'm starting to look at it like this: longer time on he course = better value for money (something hard to do at Disney) image

Will do a couple of short runs still on Wed and Thur this week.

In Seven Dwarf terms, my BRF is still Snow White, and I've gone from being Doc, to Grumpy and am now firmly settled on Happy.

Good luck on the race, Dannirr! Please give us a report - i'd love to do the disney marathon one day.

Princess Fiona wrote (see)

Oh calling list fairy please add my: "tough Guy" adventrue 6miler 20th january to the list.  37 entrants and only 3 girlies!!!  Guess we'll be last then but smiling and laughing all the way!!!  Any tips on rope climbing please...

I love the sound of this race! I've done a couple of agility races and the best advice from my side is to wear gloves (like movers gloves). if you're climbing ropes/going through elecitricity - you need to make sure that you have something to 'guard yourself' with. I'd also look at the website for what obstacles you're expecting to be able to plan clothing. We had a lot of water in our last one so I wore a lot of quick drying stuff. I wore a hat to keep my head protected and also to keep hair out of my way.

My biggest advice for the toughguy is watch out for the stupid idiots who regress to Tarzan and make the course dangerous (like flying face first down a water slide and getting stuck at the bottom).

Good luck!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

The big 50 for Mr Maj today...he's still working away but that doesn't stop me from relentlessly taking the piss long distance....image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - I can see the logic behind the 'Mini Tapirs' but I'm sure I couldn't manage it without imploding.

As for Disney, who are you kidding. You'd do it next week if you could image

YM - Very be careful with the piss taking. You've still got this to come image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - I do find it amazing that you do so many races at marathon distance. I sometimes think I've done a lot and Paris will be my 10th with my first back in January 2007.

I struggle not to want to smash my PB's in races though, which means Paris and London will be a test for me to not go out all guns blazing. I do tend to get that race day rush, which is why my race PB's way exceed what I run in training.

Although I also find I need breaks from the longer distances from time to time. After training for a marathon mentally I need a break from the LSR's and tend to spend a couple of months on shorter distances.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Orbutt wrote (see)

YM - Very be careful with the piss taking. You've still got this to come image

Yep, but not for another 8 years.  At which point he'll be cranking up for his 60th....image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I've got my 40th this year. That's a depressing enough thought.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - nah. It's a state of mind. I'm 51 at the weekend and I still, mentally, consider myself to be late 30's (if you know what I mean).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday to Mr. Maj!!

Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - I can see the logic behind the 'Mini Tapirs' but I'm sure I couldn't manage it without imploding.

As for Disney, who are you kidding. You'd do it next week if you could image

You're right...I'd love to do disney but it's a bit too expensive for this year! image I guess if you would have asked me 3 years ago to do the training i'm doing now and the races; I would have told you where to go... but as i've built up steadily it's actually OK.

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Emmy - I do find it amazing that you do so many races at marathon distance. I sometimes think I've done a lot and Paris will be my 10th with my first back in January 2007.

I struggle not to want to smash my PB's in races though, which means Paris and London will be a test for me to not go out all guns blazing. I do tend to get that race day rush, which is why my race PB's way exceed what I run in training.

Although I also find I need breaks from the longer distances from time to time. After training for a marathon mentally I need a break from the LSR's and tend to spend a couple of months on shorter distances.

I think it's all in your head and pacing. When i'm 'racing' I put the garmin pace alert on to beep at me when i'm too fast/too slow. It's really important as I tend to get all of my guns blazing like you.

Technically - I've not done that many marathons. I'm only on Marathon #7 so let's see how the rest of the year pans out! image

For me - I like to use smaller distance races to practice my speed (10km/10 miles/half mara) and I enjoy that i'm "only" out there for an hour or two.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I've got my 40th this year. That's a depressing enough thought.

I was lucky enough to spend my 40th birthday doing the Paris marathon (that was few years ago). To be over 40 is far from depressing as I have been able to improve my running. Obviously, it is difficult to train harder so you have to train smarter.

• Someone better remind me, when I am well again, to get the doctor to sign my medical formimage

Eggy - Nothing to be depressed about!!

Happy Birthday Mr maj!imageimage

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Denis - Running Paris for your 40th at least sounds fairly exotic. I ran the Dumbarton 10km for my 38th. That was about as far from exotic as it gets! image

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I am also doing Paris in celebration of my 40th. It's an excellent way to mark the day I think (plus a few romantic days afterwards in Paris with better half)

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    I think it's all in your head and pacing. When i'm 'racing' I put the garmin pace alert on to beep at me when i'm too fast/too slow. It's really important as I tend to get all of my guns blazing like you.

Technically - I've not done that many marathons. I'm only on Marathon #7 so let's see how the rest of the year pans out! image

For me - I like to use smaller distance races to practice my speed (10km/10 miles/half mara) and I enjoy that i'm "only" out there for an hour or two.

You'd love Disney if you get the chance to run it. that was my first marathon. Figured if I was going to run 26.2 miles I was getting a holiday to Florida out of it. image I'd love to get back over some day to run the Goofy like Dannirr is doing this weekend.

Emmy do you have a target times for each race you run? I've always set targets and I must admit I've given myself severe grief when I've not managed them in the past. To the point I ran a marathon PB, but missed my target time by two minutes and was absolutely devistated for ages after it. I've always been a say I'll do something and do it type of person and seem to have carried that into my running. If I say I'll hit a time and don't it really gets to me. It was a big relief to get that sub 4 in Paris last year. I'd have probably had some sort of meltdown by now if I hadn't done it.

In terms of races I enjoy completing marathons, I enjoy running halfs, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed a 10km. I've been happy with the time, but 10km races just kill me. It's a race of pain from start to finish.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I'm doing Paris 4 days before my 30th as my first marathon. Not sure I will ever be able to do a marathon again so wanted to do a biggy and get a little holiday with it!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Trevor Olver wrote (see)

I'm doing Paris 4 days before my 30th as my first marathon. Not sure I will ever be able to do a marathon again so wanted to do a biggy and get a little holiday with it!

Hands up who all said they'd only ever do one marathon?

Raises hand (training for marathons 10 & 11)! image

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Eggy - Not saying I will only do one marathon as quite enjoying all this running, more concerned that a marathon might break me!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Interesting how many people link marathon running to major birthdays. It would be very nice to go sub 3 hours in this years VLM- my first as a V50. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh bugger... I wrote a nice long reply and then the forum broke image

@Eggy- I tend to race with 3 times in mind: A, B, C.

A time: everything goes better than expected/on track
    B time: On track
    C time: wheels fall off

It really helps focus my mind when i'm racing and i dont lose sight of the end goal. In Amsterdam I was on B/C until 30km and picked it up to A race within 5kms.

• Eggy - I wasn't even planning on doing one marathon - I entered the ballot for London on a whim, assuming I wouldn't get in, but at least I could say I had tried. I was slightly horrified to get a place. The rest, as they say, is history.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - Funnily enough I ignored London when I first started running, as I planned to run Disney in January 2007 and thought April would be too close to run another even if I wanted to run it. Yes, I was naive enough to think by entering for London I would definitely get a place! image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It took me 5 years of entering London to finally get a place... and I was so happy when I finally ran it.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Well I took up running after quiting rugby and didnt intend to run a marathon. When I saw Paris and how easy it is to enter it just all made sense. I would like to do London but seems so difficult to get in and need to see how I get on in Paris.

I'm training like it will be my only go at a marathon and want to do the best I can. You never know, one day I might even look at bit more like a runner image

• Sorry been off for a while, glad to see everyone and helping each other along, great inspiration I find.  In need of it here, miserable weather and so depressing.  It's so foggy it's dangerous out there. 

Anyone booked a hotel in Paris yet?  I've just done ours http://www.champselysees-paris-hotel.com/rooms.html

My sister stayed here in 2007 and I believe there is a great pub opposite. 

Keep running one and all

• Every time I get to the finish line I say never ever ever ever ever again. Emmy I honestly don't know how you can run 2 in consecutive days. I can't walk never mind think about running!! You really are a machine! I think London last year actually broke me but I'm now tentatively (very much so) thinking that perhaps maybe I could do another. Maybe. Possibly. In the Autumn. Perhaps.

I have entered two halfs though. The Edinburgh RocknRoll Half on April 14 (it's extortionate for a half but it is on my birthday) and the Mull of Kintyre Half on 26 May. Everyone says that one is fabulous and my whole family have decided to go for a long weekend. A caravan with us all in it is a terrible idea - yes?

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

After my first marathon I said I would never, ever run again in my whole life ever. Paris will be number 10. It's addictive.