Help Needed

I have my training plan laid out in excel, well, I have what I can do on what day and my rest days, holidays etc pencilled in, now I need to work out the intensity etc, my goal is the Ironman in Bolton.

Is anyone willing to have a look at this and give me suggestions, I am looking at the Fink intermediate plan, and will need to incorporate this around my schedule.

My swim is improving and my running is terrible having not ran since 2000 after a number of knee operations, but it is slowly improving, bike is fine, I have plenty of routes etc and can deal with the increasing mileage etc, just after an experienced pair of eyes to look at my schedule and recoil in horror

Chris

Comments

• So long as you can get around the swim before cut off - I'd always focus on the bike.  

Its the biggest part of the day and a lot of folk arent used to the distance. 

You can walk a marathon in 6.5 hours anyway. 

• I have a bike background, well I did have and have done the distance before, just a matter of trying to work out what is going to work for me, I am going to do the training based on time as well.

I suppose I am just panicking.... a lot!

Chris

• If you have the fink book, then he covers heart rate intensities there.

His method is not briliant (hr - age etc) .

However the z1-5 concept is what you need. endurance corner (gordo) or joe friel's blogs cover this. also see going long etc

Your long rides/ runs should be at easy -steady (upper z1 to z2)

Add an interval session on the bike once a week

Other runs genweally at steady

Maybe add a tempo bike, or a steady medium bike etc

Remember you are training for a 12 hour day..... You can't do that if you hr is at 180(or 160 for me......) i bike at 130-140 but thats person specific, and i found that following a hr functional test per friel