On The Wagon For January

Comments

• And there was me thinking ASDA wasn't an acronym for anything at all. l knew there was a reason they were doing all those cheap drink promo's the swines.

So that's the first week done and dusted then folks and a big well done to us all. Easy really aint it image

I've never been one for drinking on school nights really and certainly not since l was in my early twenties.

Friday night is going to be the next test for me as i've said but l hope those of you who do often have a drinkypoos with your evening meal all manage to find a way round not reaching for the bottle.

It's going to be a wonderful feeling soon, getting to Thursday evening (day before pay day) and having money in the bank and not in the overdraft constantly.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Ah I see! Are they any good loon? I bet your a model.pupil this week eh!!

It's nearly horlicks time....got to go out in the car tonight at 11 so another dry evening coming up! Well done all, keep up the good work! Xx
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Morning ladies and gents! Another good night sleep here! Back to work today at 3pm after a bit of an extended break. Going to feel a bit strange, but looking forward to getting straight back into the deep end. Only in for 5hrs and working myself back up to full 12hr shifts over the next few weeks. I used to be in the habit of having a drink after lates, usually on my own. I uses to think it helped relax the mind, help me sleep and I guess feel a bit theraputic. How wrong I was eh!
  • Morning. Good luck with the blood tests Loon. 

Orange juice for me last night. Got a bottle of Erdinger in the fridge for tonight. There are quite a af lager beers that I like. Cobra zero, and Becks are good. What I miss is an ale. I love a glass of real ale but theres nothing out there. I'm thinking about buying to lower strength stuff on my "drinking allowed" days rather than the 4.5 - 5% beers as a compromise. As for red wine, there is nothing I know of that is anything near so if anyone knows of a suggestion I'd also love to try it. 

Red Bush tea for me before bed. Knocks me out solid. 

• ADAS are good mr f, they offer loads of support services like counselling, stress/anxiety management, etc etc etc plus social acitivities. they've been pretty good

start my volunteering stint at a domestic abuse charity today at 1, wibbling image

• My bedtime drink is hot chocolate!

• camomile tea is pretty good

• Good morning everyone. I can't believe the first week has passed already image.

I don't know why but I felt rubbish on Sunday. I forced myself out for a 5k that was just the absolute pits image.

I've got a session with my personal trainer tonight - a luxury I have indulged in since packing in the cigs. A tempo session apparently. I probably won't need a horlicks tonight.

• Hi all. Day 8 is here and the first weekend a distant memory! Onwards and upwards.

Looking forward to a run tonight.

I have a full health assessment at work on Thursday so that will probably be a wake up call as well!

Well done Loon on your progress at ADAS.

Not sure if something like Erdinger would be good for me as if I enjoyed it and we ran out, may be tempted for a real drink!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Loon, hope you have an uplifting afternoon. I have to say that's something really positive that your doing.

I'm not a fan of alcohol free beer,each to their own though. There are some decent quality ones out there as you say. enjoy your personal session k80!
  • I'm feeling rather pleased with myself having reached day 8.  My test really will be at 6.15pm on Friday when I get back from work ./ school clubs etc and sit down for the first time all day.  But I KNOW I'm going to come out shining image

On another note, if I usually drink 4 bottles (someetimes 5) of wine a week then surely at 1,000 calories approx per bottle then over 4 weeks I will be 16,000 calories down on previous months.  WOW!!!!  I'm preying the scales reflect this in a few weeks.

It's actually got me thinking that if I can do this for one month then perhaps every month before a major race I could do the same (VLM, Endure 24 ).  I wouldn't completely not drink but perhaps every other month would be a good idea?

• Evening

LizEE thats a whole two days extra calories just in wine a week

Week one down - this weekend I am actually going out Sat and Friday - friday venue is good at cocktails so I am hoping thats goes for non alcoholic ones as well - apprently they use fresh fruit so I am hopeful i will get some intersting drinks.  Saturday is my cycling club's annual dinner - noting fancy just in a local pb so that should be OK

• thanks mr f it was just an introduction, go through paperwork thing today, start working on thursday doing admin work, but there's a possible opporrtunity to train on the job which sounds fab image

well done all, day 8 and no alcohol image

• I like that - Driathlon. some will go for the sprint versoin, some for Oly distance and some for the whole Iron distance. Any is ok image

I'm aiming for the full monty me, I'm not sure after many trials, that I can just drink occasionally. It starts off that way (I'm a regular abstainer this time of year), but then just slowly builds up. I may well have to just knock it all on the head. We'll see how it goes. I was off work last week so not much of a problem. Friday is going to be a challenge for me.

The wagon is  proving to be of benefit to me already. I've lost almost 3lb in weight and have lots  more energy. I've come home from work, cooked tea, prepared tomorrows meal, done all my ironing and finished off and packed a pressie for a new baby. It's not even 8 o'clock yet!

Everyone is doing so well in here, I hope the lurkers are doing as well and that those who have hopped off will feel able to hop back on. image

• Ye Olde Dragon wrote (see)

I'm aiming for the full monty me, I'm not sure after many trials, that I can just drink occasionally. It starts off that way (I'm a regular abstainer this time of year), but then just slowly builds up. I may well have to just knock it all on the head. We'll see how it goes. 

Thats me to a tee

• I've been avoiding lager for most of this year becuase that's what I find hardest to stop drinking. I never used to drink it at all and wish I'd never developed a taste for it. I can easily drink 8 to 10 cans of lager a night and once I've started drinking it I want more again the next day and the next etc. Wine I can take or leave much easier as I'm not a huge fan of the taste as much

• Me to a three that maddy and soup. Im just taking it one day at a time just now as if l try think about giving up all together then it seems a whole lot more daunting. In the back of my mind though that's what im aiming for. Im single at the minute so hopefully the next girl l meet will be a light drinker at best or even abstain all together too. Make it a hell of a lot easier if you dont share you life with another pisshead.

But maddy, l think you must have fallen off the wagon already, 16,000 calories, 2 DAYS worth?????image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of calories!

Loon, forgive me but going by your picture your a female? 8 to 10 pints of lager? I think is be unconcious after 6! I'm not a huge drinker as such, is never have more than 4 cans or pints in an evening, its more of the habit I'm trying to get out of.
  • whoops, sorry that was cans of lager image

• still too many I know :S but that's not been the case for the best part of a year now image 

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I was about to say.... That much lager and legs like that then you must have the worlds most finely tuned metabolism!! Feeling good tonight good return to work this afternoon, now relaxing with a few pints.... Of water.... And the obligatory horlicks (other hot malted drinks are available)
  • A test for me tomorrow as I'm away on business in a nice hotel with an expenses account!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Good rest of your resolve then kev! We have every faith in you!
  • Thanks Mr F! We are going to watch Swansea v Arsenal on TV in the bar after dinner so a double test!
  • CHello gang...finding it tough going this year as I can resist all but temptation. Cracking curry last night and it just needed some help, honest!

• not finding it too bad at the moment, but things aren't massively stressful, but I know there will be difficult times. I know there's a lot of media stuf at the moment saying the january on the wagon thing is a waste of time and can be harmful etc as can lead to binge drinking in february, but for me it helps break the habit of drinking all the time, and it's a test of willpower for me image

although the comment inthe media that a couple of alcoholic drinks a week is good for you is very tempting image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Fell off this one days ago, but being in Texas it's hard to get away from beer and steak. And pictures can be very deceiving - I've put on quite a bit of weight since this was taken.
  • Evening

Gareth the 16000 calories was the quote for a month 4 bottles of wine a week is 4000 calories so neeerrrrr neerrr ner nerrrrrrrrrr imageimage

Feeling good today

well done everyone nearly a third of the way through already image