Research on Barefoot Running

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently running research on barefoot running and am recruiting subjects for a biomechanical asessment. If you're interested in barefoot running, and want to see yourself in a 3D reconstruction so you can look at your running technique, read below! 

THE AIM OF THE STUDY

There is no published scientific research that looks at the implications of running barefoot DOWNHILL up to date. This study aims to look at muscle activation and lower limb biomechanics during barefoot running downhill and determine its implications for injury risk. 

WHAT THE STUDY CONSIST IN

The study is very quick and easy, it consists in the athlete running on a treadmill positioned on a downhill slope for a few minutes while the researcher collects data about muscle activation and joint angles.

You would have to come into our university Sports Science lab only once, we will place some electrodes (the same ones that are used for electrocardiograms, they're not painful in any way) on your lower leg in order to see what muscles you use while you run on the treadmill. We will also use a 3D motion analysis system with infrared cameras which allows us to calculate your joint angles and look at you running technique. 

So... if you would like to contribute to science, and would like to be able to look at your running style in 3D, please answer back, WE NEED YOU! image

Comments

• ive allways been intrested in barefoot running!

where and when and how?? 

and will it affect my marathon training plan ?

• Hi Jason!

You're right.. I forgot the details. We're based in Kingston University, London, UK. 

The study will not affect your training in any way. You will probably only run on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes and will not be running constantly downhill. Since this is not a physiological test, we will only be looking at your technique so as soon as we have the data collected you can jump off. 

You will also sign a consent form prior to commencing the study which explains in detail everything you will be required to do. there will be no risk of injury whatsoever, it's a very straightforward study. 

THE STUDY DESIGN

The athlete will then run at his own chosen pace for about:
    a. 2-3 minutes with his own running shoes on flat slope
    b. 2-3 minutes with his own running shoes on a slight downhill slope
    c. 2-3 minutes with his own running shows on a moderate downhill slope

Then the process will be repeated without shoes, on the same treadmill. 

let me know if you need any more info. 

Kingston University, London, UK

DATES

Dates to be discussed with the athlete, between 1st February and 15th March.

• Sounds like fun to me image

Very interested! I like the way you assume we are athletes heheimage

What sort of days are we looking at? I work 5/6 days a week?