Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Here we go…the run down for week 3!!....( excuse the pun..)

Monday – Should have been 4 mile comfortable, but had the opportunity to do a lovely run with friends tomorrow……so swapped!!!

Tuesday – 4 mile comfortable (10:15 – 11:15)

Oh this was muddier and hillier and longer than expected. A great start to the new year though….thrashing over Cissbury Ring friends what could be better!!.....

Miles - 5.15 Time - 54.40 Pace – 10:37….I gave up on the pace after I fell over in the mud for the 2nd time, it just wasn’t happening…!!

Wednesday – Speed session 1 mile comfortable (10:15 – 11:15) 3x8 Mins fast ( 8.45 – 9) 1 mile comfortable(10:15 – 11:15)

Managed to incorporate this into my running group, where a few of us split off. 

Lap 1 0:09:45 Dist 1mi Pace 9:45 min/mile

Lap 2 0:08:00 Dist 0.9mi Pace 8:53 min/mile

Lap 3 0:08:00 Dist 0.9mi Pace 8:53 min/mile

Lap 4 0:08:00 Dist 0.9mi Pace 8:59 min/mile

Lap 5 0:09:50 Dist 1mi Pace 9:50 min/mile

Thursday – Rest

Friday – 5 Mile Hilly

The South Downs definatly have hills……Great run with my sister and daughter…and her very fast boyfriend.

Miles – 5  Time – 49.15 Pace average - 9.51

Saturday – Rest 

Sunday – 11 mile comfortable (10:15 – 11:15)

My running club meet on a Sunday morning and do a 6 miler….So I ran to them instead of driving…..lovely run in Arundel Park…then ran home!!!....Slightly longer than expected, but great run. Used a camel back for the first time, and found a gel which wasn’t like cement in my mouth.

Miles – 12.7  Time – 2 hours 12  Pace average – 10:24

A great week....Ive loved every minute of it!!!

• Sounds like you've had a great week Mel image It's great that you can work so many of your runs into your running club.

Hope you get the running shoe issues sorted!! I've got GT2000s as well - no problems with them so far, they seem like a really good shoe (although I had Asics GT-2170s previously which were fairly similar so not much of a change for me).

What is the favourite (non-cement) gel so far?

Good luck with week four!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Mel -  that's great that you've enjoyed this week. I was a bit worried for you when you said a week ago that you weren't enjoying it. (although understandable in the circumstances) Onwards & Upwards now.

• Hiya! Just started my training and am running my first marathon on April 14th. Are you able to post your full training plan as I would love to follow it!

Aiming to do 5 runs a week....

Keep it up and good luck!!

Cecilie
  • Hi Cecilie

I'm providing Mel's training programme and I tend to prefer to post a month at a time - which gives the opportunity to adjust, amend along the way depending on Mel's progress and how her body (and mind!) responds to the different sessions. The next 4 weeks will be posted next weekend. That said, Mel's programme is specifically built around her time availability/access to different surfaces/current mileage etc so it isn't necessarily the best one for you to follow (although it might be fine - it's just everyone is different.) The key things are not to make too big a jump from your 'normal' training to your marathon training (eg. if you are only doing 3 days a week, then suddenly doing 5 a week is too much) to make sure you include some slower than proposed marathon pace runs - usually the long run - and some faster than proposed pace runs (usually intervals or tempo training) as well as some that is around proposed race pace. There are so many ways to swing a cat! image

• Mel, so pleased to see a great week's training in the bag - and it looks like the pace guidelines are just right for now, too. It's a cutback week this week, mileage wise, but no problem adding a mile or two to either tomorrow or Thursday or Sunday's session.

A couple of things re. week 4. Are you signed up to do a parkrun on Saturday? 
    Do you have any cross training activities that you enjoy? I may have missed it, but I think you've always opted for 'rest' when it has said rest or cross training! 

• Thanks Sam! I usually run 3 times per week - two 5-6 mile runs and one long run. I have completed 4 half marathons and now trying my first marathon.

It may be too much with 5 times...maybe I will start with 4 and see how I go!

;-)
  • melaniejayne wrote (see

Hi Ruth- Lovely to hear from you!!.....any input is amazing....I am like a sponge just wanting to soak up all the information....I'm sure I will pick your brains many times!!...I will try the jelly beans next time I have a longer run, ( how often would I take them??) I also have a selection of gels ect now for my longer runs that I am trying.....coconut water post run??? what are your thoughts on that??.....

Hi Mel,

Little girl certainly not so little anymore!

At this stage of your running I would start trying jelly sweets or gel for any runs longer than 75minutes. But when you know runs will be this long, do not wait until 75minutes until you have your first sweet/gel! Have your first one at 30minutes if using a gel,  then another gel every 30minutes, you may not need them this often but only time will tell. If using sweets you have a choice to drip feed them every 15minutes (4 small jelly sweets or 2 large ones such as jelly babies) or at 30 minutes; a handful of 5- 6 small jelly sweets or 3-4 larger ones and exactly which sweets/gels you are using so I can check carb intake per hour. Let me know exactly how this goes on each run you try.

You may also want to take water on during long runs so you know you will have no problems in race day (and often drinking from a cup can be different from a bottle or camel bak) but really in winter here in Britain you will get away with up to 90minutes without water - no problem unless poorly hydrated before start of run  but best to get used to this/or re-practise again.

Believe it or not coconut water, plain water, milk, freshly squeezed orange juice or even coke taken with some food (for  the salt as salt helps uptake the water and most food will have enough as only need some amount) will rehydrate you but the difference is how quickly. Coke, fruit juice and milk have higher sugar content so will take longer, coke and fruit juice especially, as they sit in your stomach longer due to this higher sugar content and tend to empty little by little but probably less wasted as you tend not to go to the toilet (like you do if drink lots of plain water as it leaves stomach quicker so less overall absorbed).So as long as fluid lost is replaced by next you will rehydrate. However when you need to rehydrate quicker for example if doing 2 sessions a day etc then the tyre of drink becomes more important. I am not saying to drink coke but just making the point that make sure you drink something after runs then little and often until next run and you should not have a problem with hydration but water is the drink with no calories or issues with acid attach on those teeth! Sports drinks are taken up very quickly (especially the isotonic or hypotonic (these are ones advertised as low calorie such as powerAade zero, lucozade light sports drink, high five zero) as they ahve the salt added and a little sugar which also helps uptake fluid. Hope that all made sense- always tell me if not making things clear!

How is your day to day eating?

Keep up the good training.

Hi Sam!

• Hi Steve....yes I am so lucky to have such a fab running club....a lot of them do longer distances such as marathons and ultras, so there is normally someone needing/wanting to do a longer run or a speed session, or just to bounce ideas off!!!.....

I have my lovely new trainers to try out tomorrow on a little 3 miler.....fingers crossed!!!....

DS2....thank you.....yes the Christmas week was hard, just goes to show how much of a mental sport running is!!....but yes...back on form thank you and loving it!!!!.....and I haven't cried on a single run yet this year!!!.....image

Celilie.....I think on page 2 or 3 of this thread is the running schedule for the first 4 weeks.....I am about to post this week up again as a reminder......Its been great!! Which Marathon are you doing on the 14th??

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Here is the plan for week 4.....

PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 11.15-12.15 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) 10.15-11.15 per mile

Steady = 9.15-10.15

Fast (Tempo) = 8.45-9 (Or for intervals 8.30-8.45)

Speedwork 7.20-8.25 per mile, depending on distance

Week 4 w/c 7th January
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 3 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 400m (or 2 MINS) at 7.20-7.35 MIN pace with 2.5 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4.5 MILES)
    Thursday 4 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Friday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Saturday PARK RUN PLUS W-UP/C-DOWN
    Sunday 3 MILE JOG
    MILEAGE 19.5

• Hi Sam....!!

Yes its all fab!!!.....All signed up for Havant Park run on Saturday.....!Really looking forward to it.....what sort of pace should I be aiming for....??

And yes I have been rumbled, my rest days have indeed been rest days.....( I am in the busy life style category!!!) However.....lots of long walks on those days, and now the girls have gone back to school...(Yehhhhh.....) I will be getting out on my bike again....so I will humbly except my telling off!!!!.....image....

Could I just ask the reasoning behind not doing a long run this week...? the mileage is drastically lower and I was wondering why??

• Hi Ruth....thank you for that advice...I think i will have to print it off and keep it to hand so I can get my head round it!!....

Day to day eating.....ummmm....pretty hit and miss...typical day as of yesterday, baring in mind I did a 12 mile run so was super hungry!...maybe thats just an excuse as I am always super hungry...!

Porridge with coconut milk blueberries and a splash of honey

2x tea, one before breakfast one after....

Post run - banana and a coconut macaroon, handful of raisins and nuts, coconut water

Lunch - Sardines in brine on 2x wholemeal toast, curly kale crisps. 

Mid afternoon - carrot sticks and home made hummus,

later afternoon - Tea and a marsbar cocopop krispie

supper - Chicken and lentils baked in pesto, sweet potato, mushrooms, courgette, baby corn and broccoli

Lots of water throughout the day......I do like to drink a lot of water only. 

Hope you can shed some light on it....I don't normally eat marsbar cocopop krispies, but it just jumped out at me!!!!.....image

Sleep is pretty hit and miss too!!!....I do aim to be in bed for 10/10:30, but depending on how active my brain is and how much of the world I am trying to put right, I can still be awake at 2 some night, other nights I'm asleep in minutes.....up at 7 mid week.....possibility of a lie in at the weekend if no early run.....I do try meditation and Reiki to sleep, but I think I have a lot to fix...!!

Thats a lot of info I just gave you!!!!....Hope I didnt go for over load???

Look forward to your comments.....!

• Hi Mel,

Love the idea of you being rumbled about putting your feet up on rest days!!

I would say you should be able to run under 26, based on your 10k PB, but I think it's best to just run your best and see how you do. 5km isn't far enough to need to 'hold back' in the early stages (though remember, it's not a sprint!)image

The MyAsics programme originally had cutback weeks every fortnight (ie, a week hard, a week easy) but I've eliminated the fortnightly one so you get a cutback week every 4th week. It's sort of consolidation time, to recover a bit, allow the adaptations to fitness to take place and have a mental break. Not everyone needs a cutback week as often as this - it's the sort of thing you can only really know once you've worked with someone a while... The question to ask yourself is whether you feel fatigue accummulating, any niggles, relish the idea of an easier week? If no to all of these, then give me a shout and we can rethink.

• Evening Mel! Yum! Your food diary is making me peckish! It all sounds amazing - especially the chicken! image

• Hi Mel

Just read through your log, and you have made an excellent start to your training, fitting in your training is never easy, but does get easier. Last December 2011 I started training with my running club in Lichfield aiming to run in the Stratford Upon Avon Marathon. Some people were doing London, and a few including me the Stratford.

It was really encouraging, and motivational running in a group, and we also had the support of a senior member of the club who prepared the schedules and run routes. 

All the people completed their training, and those running the London had a great time, unfortuantely on the day of the Stratford the weather was foul, and just before the start the full marathon was cancelled because of concern over the route and the weather conditions. It was very disappointing to say the least, it would have been my first marathon.

I hadn't planned to run a marathon this year, but....................your log has given me food for thought.

Keep going!!

• Best of luck Mel enjoy the trainingimage

• Wow Mel, you are going top of the class with that food diary... Even with the marsbar krispie wotsit! image

Let me know about how the training is taking its toll (see previous post above) Cheers!

Graham - that must have been SO disappointing - I heard that happened, but for your debut race.. just awful. I hope you feel inspired to give it another try some time. 

• Hi Sam......I polished my bike off today and resigned myself to the fact I cant rest now for another 12 weeks!!!.....I will even ride to running club....its too dark to run!!

As for the training taking its toll....Im not fatigued at all...( but I think thats because I rest on my rest days....!!)....and have to admit feel a bit disapointed I dont have a long run this week!!!.....and no niggles....I just want to go and play!!!....please!!...

Really looking forward to the Havant Park run on Saturday....even got a little group of hormanal 14 year old girls signed up.....its either that or they will lounge about in bed all day on facebook...!!!..

Hi Runny Run.....Im a bit of a chuck it together sort of person with my meals.....can be pretty hit and miss.....maybe the jam dounut let me down today...!!image but I do try!!.....

• Hi Graham....How lovely to hear from you....Do it.... Do it!!!!!....You know you want to!!!!!....just think how you would feel post marathon!!!!...I hope next time you write on this thread its to say you have signed up for one and the training has started!!!!......

You must have been gutted about the Stratford Marathon....I cant even begin to imagine how awful you must have felt!image......however you can rectify that this year!!!!image.......

Hi Marie....thank you for your words of encouragement!!!!......they mean a great deal!!image....do you have any running plans for the year ahead...??

• Sam...I just read Steve's thread....although I may have been rumbled using my rest days effectively...at least I haven't started smoking!!!!image

• Mel - loving the food updates...I am with you in the "chuck it al in way of cooking"image

Good luck with the group of hormonal 14 year olds!

Graham - which one are you thinking about?

I have had a bit of a sore neck since my 10 miler on Saturday, it is getting better but decided to do my 4 miles run on the dreadmill yesterday to ease the impact a bit!

• Mel - great to see you are doing so well thus far
  • Hey, Mel, thanks for the words of encouragement, I very tempted, and am looking at the various marathons on offer!

Mad Welsh Woman!! , why are you mad??

I'm thinking about entering the Stratford Marathon again, although there are a few in Wales that I looked at last year, which were attractive. Isn't there one around Tenby?

I have signed up for the Stafford Half Marathon on the 17th March so I will be starting some regular training for that. As everyone knows, the Xmas break always tends to effect training schedules, and right now I haven't written one!!!

• Mel - a bit late to the 'party', but hoping to keep an interested eye on your training.  I would count myself as a busy lifestyle runner and have only raced as long as half marathon so far, but never say never as far as a marathon goes!

Looking forward to seeing how things go and picking up any tips and hints.

Good luck image

• Hi Impish.....its always best to turn up late to a party!!!.....Iv only done half's too so I could only say go for it if its something you want..... dont put off your dreams, you never know whats round the corner......Never for one minute last year did I think this would be even a slight possibility....my plan this year had been to do half's and to improve 10ks......but I'm just loving this journey, its amazing!!!!......You just never know until you try....My sister has done 35 marathons now and and when she started during her first marathon she was being picked up by the sweeper and told to give up.....but she never did....and now I look at her with huge admiration and pride that she was so stubborn!!!....So go for it girl!!!!!......image....I have a lovely plan you can follow!!!!.....

• Mad welsh woman and Graham.......aren't all welsh mad???......Well done on signing up for the Stratford half Graham.....Certainly a good start!!!!...have you thought about 'fan y big horseshoe race' its not a marathon, but a hilly challenge in wales which looks great!!!......

I think Ill need all the support I can get taking a group of 14 year old hormonal girls on the Havant park run....I'm just working on the fact I will hopefully run faster than them...!!!...but if there are any young boys around then 'help!!!'......

If anyone is going....then please come and say hello!!!!!!.....image

Big HELLO Oscarr....lovely to see you!!!!!......image......I hope everything is OK with you!!......

• Hey Mel.....your food diary puts mine to shame. So much delicious, healthy food in there. Good luck with your run with the Havant Park run on Saturday. I expect you to show the girls who the fastest is!

• Hello Mel

Great to hear you're feeling good and itching for more! So, why don't you swap the 3 mile recovery run on Sunday for UP TO 7 miles - maybe off road with a few hills and a few friends image

Can't wait to hear how Parkrun goes!

Love the inspirational story about your sister. Good on her.

And well done Graham for signing up for another marathon!image

• Mel.

Thanks for posting the food diary. This is really good but if you want to post another couple of days that would be really useful (only if don't mind/find the time). For you, the extras such as the crisps, coconut bar, chocolate will only be an issue for body weight.  I have not seen you but these are the sorts of things by cutting out  on a regular bases will help with dropping extra body fat which can help your running if you have it too lose and  motivated to do it. Perhaps consider a rule that you think would work for you for example, after long run   have lovely  treat  you enjoy or on a Friday night post work  but i understand that this may not be something you want to add to your list of things to consider at this time (I think  you are managing to do a lot at the moment and I do not want to add pressure so it is only a suggestion as  fundamental diet is good!).

Ruth

• Implish, I only joined the party a week ago image