Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• Food Diary - Sun 7th Jan

Breakfast - fried egg in a wholemeal roll with tomato sauce - actually had a little bit of side salad with this for some reason (rocket, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion)

Lunch - more cherry tomatoes (!), some mature cheddar cheese, some chicken, a bit of pickle and some crackers. Then a bag (normal sized!) of Doritos.

Snack - a large handful of grapes

Dinner - Pasty, potato wedges and beans, followed by a mince pie (just using up the christmas supplies - I actually don't eat sweet things that often and will usually skip desserts)

Drinks - I had a glass of orange squash with breakfast and some banana flavoured milk later in the morning. Glass of water with lunch, a cup of coffee not long after and another glass of squash with dinner. Drinking a glass of water this evening and I will always take a glass to bed with me.

• Thankyou Sam for your advice on resistance training.

Morning Steve, like you said your so lucky to have all those sporting facilities near to where you live. I'm pretty jealous! Looks like you had a well deserved rest day yesterday.

Your "old diet" sounds like my OH's, I've started adding bits of fruit to his pack up now in the bid to get him healthier, but it tends to come back home in the bottom of his bag. Yesterday was fish and chips day for him as I pass the whetherby whaler on my way home from netball! Glad to see you haven't given up on the bacon completely.

Good luck with Ruth, hope you don't get a grilling!
  • Well grilling is healthier than frying...

• You're a braver man than most, I can just imagine Sam & Ruth rubbing their hands together devising ways in which you can make amends!!!

Most of our dinners used to be similar but the pre-packed seasoning shakes from Schwartz were a revolution. 

I know it's extremely lazy and I'm almost certain we have all the ingredients already but in 20 mins we can have Peri Peri/Morroccan/Jamaican Jerk (delete as appropriate) grilled chicken with a baked potato and salad with energy left for that vital post run recovery image

• Oh my lord, Ruth will be having kittens when she reads your dietary confessions image

I think the thing that really stands out for me is the lack of variety, and minimal  veg. Nothing wrong with cherry toms, but there's no leafy green veg like broccoli, spinach, kale, or nutrient rich orange/yellow/red stuff like peppers, squash, sweet potato, carrots. And not much in the way of whole grains, like rice, cous cous, pearl barley or pulses/beans like chickpeas, kidney beans etc. 

Omelettes are good though!  Let's see what Ruth has to say. But happy to make some suggestions, too. 

• Sam - i haven't seen any posts on Mel's thread since 18th Dec - is this a glitch with my PC or is she OK?

• I've tweaked Steve's training for this week, as discussed earlier in the thread. No long run still, but slightly more intensity and volume. Think a long run break will help Steve consolidate the benefits made so far - and have to keep in mind that the last three weeks have been a significant step up in mileage for him...:

Week 4 w/c 7th January
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 3 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 1 MILE EASY 4 X 1 MILE AT ‘FAST INTERVALS’ PACE WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERY JOG. ½ MILE EASY 6.5
    Thursday REST
    Friday 5 MILES COMFORTABLE (could do this off-road)
    Saturday Parkrun plus warm up and cooldown. Include some strides in warm-up (6)
    Sunday LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    MILEAGE 20.5

• Oooh, and Steve, what's the name of this amazing sports facility you get to train at? I'm intrigued! Always looking for good venues to run my workshops at image

• Thats not good Steve you are in bother!!!!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve, Steve, Steve. Oh dear, what can I say? Where is that shaking head, hands over face smilie when you need it?

First there was the lycra shot (which I am only just recovering from) and now you treat us to this abortion of a meal plan. Honestly, I'm lost for words. I think it was better when we all assumed your diet consisted entirely of Danish back. 

On the plus side it is good to hear that you choose wholemeal bread to accompany your "pub grub" and (my favourite) "frozen things chucked in the oven".

I have to concede that your invented pasta dish sounded pretty good so it seems like there are some signs that Ruth may be able to bring out the Jamie Oliver in you.

Your running seems to be going extremely well so congratulations on that.

The very best of luck to you my friend!

• Sam - thanks for your exercise routine, have just done my second session with it - i am feeling parts of my glutes i never thought existed !!

Steve - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...are you Rosie in disguise??

• Steve you are a star!!!  Glad you and your little fella had a good rest day! loving the 'Confessions of a Bacon fan' 

I have just (as in since I got home from Morrison's at 5) found Banana milk, It is yummy but could very easily drink the full bottle!! sure that would help tonight's run image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

oooh, now banana milk ... (ok, I will share share some gory details Steve)... keeps coming back to say hello to me, not good before a run! But chocolate milk, now that is a lovely recovery drink!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Oh my lord, Ruth will be having kittens when she reads your dietary confessions image

I think the thing that really stands out for me is the lack of variety, and minimal  veg. Nothing wrong with cherry toms, but there's no leafy green veg like broccoli, spinach, kale, or nutrient rich orange/yellow/red stuff like peppers, squash, sweet potato, carrots. And not much in the way of whole grains, like rice, cous cous, pearl barley or pulses/beans like chickpeas, kidney beans etc. 

Omelettes are good though!  Let's see what Ruth has to say. But happy to make some suggestions, too. 

Wait til you see tonight's dinner...image

I do love omlettes so I'm pleased you said that!!

Re the sports facilities, it is called Basildon Sporting Village - it is only about 30-40 mins outside London...

• Kandinsky wrote (see)

You're a braver man than most, I can just imagine Sam & Ruth rubbing their hands together devising ways in which you can make amends!!!

Most of our dinners used to be similar but the pre-packed seasoning shakes from Schwartz were a revolution. 

I know it's extremely lazy and I'm almost certain we have all the ingredients already but in 20 mins we can have Peri Peri/Morroccan/Jamaican Jerk (delete as appropriate) grilled chicken with a baked potato and salad with energy left for that vital post run recovery image

Hi Kandinsky,

You say brave, I say tactical:

Ruth said she usually comes on here Mondays and Thursdays... I made my food confessions late Monday night meaning there is the maximum amount of time between my posting them and her reading them... In the next few days I aim to eat vaguely healthily and  post it all on here, so softening the eventual hammer blow.

If you don't hear from me after Thursday, it is probably safe to assume that my fiendish plot has failed and she has found out where I live and ordered a hit on me for my gross crimes against nutrition...

• mcs wrote (see)

Thats not good Steve you are in bother!!!!image

Yep! Still, on the plus said... oh wait, there isn't one, is there?image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Steve, Steve, Steve. Oh dear, what can I say? Where is that shaking head, hands over face smilie when you need it?

First there was the lycra shot (which I am only just recovering from) and now you treat us to this abortion of a meal plan. Honestly, I'm lost for words. I think it was better when we all assumed your diet consisted entirely of Danish back. 

On the plus side it is good to hear that you choose wholemeal bread to accompany your "pub grub" and (my favourite) "frozen things chucked in the oven".

I have to concede that your invented pasta dish sounded pretty good so it seems like there are some signs that Ruth may be able to bring out the Jamie Oliver in you.

Your running seems to be going extremely well so congratulations on that.

The very best of luck to you my friend!

I feel like I've let you down Malcs image

Haha yes, wholemeal bread may be my one saving grace! "Frozen things chucked in the oven" is a speciality of the house... Expecting a michelin star any day now...

I invented an even better one tonight - well tasty! I even have a pic to follow.

Thanks, really enjoying the training - are you fully recovered and back out pounding the streets yet?

• oscarr wrote (see)

Sam - thanks for your exercise routine, have just done my second session with it - i am feeling parts of my glutes i never thought existed !!

Steve - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...are you Rosie in disguise??

Hi oscarr,

The strength circuit is great, isn't it? I have done it a couple of times myself but have forgotten to post about it!!

Was she as bad as me? Or worse?? At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm not the only one...image

• Tigs and Jen, yep love a nice banana milkshake and chocolate is definitely a great recovery drink!

And Tigs, I think you may have just inadvertently given me the title to my memoirs! image

• I see your thinking but in my experience scorning a woman and then giving them time to ponder their response is NEVER a good thing! image

Does that make you a Basildon boy then?  You'll have to give me a shout if you ever find yourself heading towards Chelmsford (which shouldn't be too long once Sam starts ramping your milage up).

Keep up the good work.

• Steve, it pains me to say that Rosie was in fact worse and started the process last year existing almost entirely on energy drinks so was definitely at the other end of the animal fat scale !! Ruth managed to turn Rosie round to a good healthy balanced diet so there is hope for you yet ! Tee hee.

One things for sure, you are enjoying this!!
  • Training - Week 4

Tuesday - 3 MILE RECOVERY JOG (10:15 - 11:00 M/M)

So a nice recovery run to start week four.

I completed the run in 30mins 42secs, which meant an overall pace of 10:14 m/m.

The three miles broke down as follows:

Mile 1 - 10:15 m/m

Mile 2 - 10:12 m/m

Mile 3 - 10:15 m/m

I spent yesterday feeling a little bit drained and achy - nothing too major as I felt perfectly ok to go for a swim but, nevertheless, more drained/achy than I have felt at any other time during the training.

I put this down to a simple accumulation of the three weeks training and increase in mileage to what I had been doing previously and just generally took it easy for the day and had fun with my son.

Today, despite over-sleeping after hitting snooze only to later discover 40 minutes later that I had not in fact hit snooze, I woke up feeling a lot more chipper and looking forward to my run. I had one of those days at work today where I just seemed to be running around like a blue-arsed fly without it actually seeming like I achieved anything much so I was pleased to pull on my kit and head out the door. One of the reasons I have always loved running is the escapism and de-stressing aspect of it.

The run went really well and I took my headphones and just chilled out for the three miles, listening to some slower-paced tunes. I don't think I once even came close to breathing heavily or feeling stretched in any way whatsoever and finished feeling like I wanted to go for a proper run!

I really have learnt, even though it has only been three weeks, to enjoy the recovery runs - as soon as I twigged that I was supposed to be running slowly for a reason and that I should stick to the slower pace, I have been noticing the benefits - I finish these runs feeling so energised and spend the evening feeling great and with a spring in my step and the same was true of the run this evening.

Nothing special to report from the run itself - I went out just after six this evening and the streets were pretty quiet so it all passed very uneventfully. It was nice to just get out for half an hour, turn the music on destress and tune out. It really took my mind off of what Ruth is going to do to me when she reads about my diet. Which was nice.

So the rest day seems to have worked very well, as has the recovery run... on to the next run tomorrow! I have a parkrun on Saturday, my first ever, and I feel like I'm in shape to at least worry my PB time... I'm really looking forward to it and this week really does feel like a bit of a build up to the "big race". image

Sam has had a tweak of my training plan following the feedback from the first three weeks so either Sam or myself will post the revised next four weeks soon....

Sam, one quick question for you (apologies if you've already told me this) - now we have upped the pacings and also the mileage slightly, am I still aiming for sub 4 hours? Or has the goal time changed also?

• Kandinsky wrote (see)

I see your thinking but in my experience scorning a woman and then giving them time to ponder their response is NEVER a good thing! image

Does that make you a Basildon boy then?  You'll have to give me a shout if you ever find yourself heading towards Chelmsford (which shouldn't be too long once Sam starts ramping your milage up).

Keep up the good work.

Yes, Basildon born and bred! (Unfortunately)

So you're just down the road then? Small world, isn't it? image

I did all my driving lessons in Chelmsford... will def give you a shout next time I'm running up that way - you have a parkrun there as well don't you? I'm doing Southend on Saturday.

• oscarr wrote (see)
    Steve, it pains me to say that Rosie was in fact worse and started the process last year existing almost entirely on energy drinks so was definitely at the other end of the animal fat scale !! Ruth managed to turn Rosie round to a good healthy balanced diet so there is hope for you yet ! Tee hee.

One things for sure, you are enjoying this!!

Blimey, Rosie sounds like my anti-heroimage And well played to Ruth!

I'm loving every minute so far - I really have spent the last four or five weeks with a smile on my face and I've already learned so, so much about running and a fair bit about myself too!

• Food diary - 8th January

The day started off with a failed attempt to hit snooze on my alarm and so I overslept by a fair bit.

In the ensuing mad dash, I had to sacrifice a few things in order to make I sure I made it to work on time. It came to a crunch decision between breakfast and making sure my hair looked good. So...

Breakfast

None

I spent the day at the office today so no pub grub at a client's venue today, thank goodness! I had a cup of coffee first thing, then had two 500ml bottles of water throughout the day.

Lunch

Ham, cucumber and pickle wholemeal roll, 28g bag of crisps (salt & vinegar Discos for the connoisseurs amongst you), followed by a large handful of grapes.

Dinner had to wait til after my run today and I felt a little bit inventive so created a new pasta dish for myself. It smelt amazing while it was cooking and was, without wishing to blow my own trumpet, bloody niceimage

Dinner

Chicken, broccoli and spring onion pasta in a cream cheese sauce. I also had a nice little side salad of mixed salad leaves and orange bell pepper.

/members/images/744786/Gallery/chicken_broccoli_pasta.jpg

Snacks

None

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Breakfast

None

Now the sh**'s really gonna hit the fan!  image

I don't know whether to pre-book an ambulance for Steve or Ruth or both image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL.

Let's just hand out the boxing gloves and get this thing on! 

Steve - Yes, I'm back. Not quite pounding the streets but I did give them a little tickle earlier.

It pains me to say this but your cheesy-creamy-chicken looks quite nice. 

• Good to see a mixture of coloured fruit and veg in your diet today....surely that will score you a few points!
  • Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Breakfast

None

Now the sh**'s really gonna hit the fan!  image

I don't know whether to pre-book an ambulance for Steve or Ruth or both image

imageimageimageimageimage

• if you fancy something quick..... mushrooms, onions, chicken stock, thyme, season, and a spoon of creme fraise added at the very end! add pasta and enjoy!