Tuesday 8th January 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics:'There's a lady who is sure that all that glitters is gold.'

What: 3M Easy

Why: Slowly recovering from cold/lurgy.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

Congratulations on the promotion Donaldo.

How did it go with the consultant Alehouse?

Car is in for its MOT today - always stressful!

What:            bike ride
    Why:             time/opportunity/weather
    Last hard:     last year
    Last rest:      7/1

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hi everyone

Yesterday's lyrics, California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas

what: 11.5km including 8km tempo in 36:49.

why: "speedwork" for HM and above distance

Bit disappointed with that. It's about 20-25s per km off where I'd got to for the tempo runs before the marathon. I guess I've got more work to do than I thought. Still hopefully it will come back fairly quickly. Tough day at work today too. May need a very early night.

Lyrics: Yes
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Donaldo - congrats on the deputy badge!
    LmH - let me guess, new wiper blades or a bulb they will charge you 3x the price for as its MoT day?
    Emzap - she played (I think) at Cressex - if that means anything. Was a friendly (ladies 2's) and finished 1-1...I do joke when I say oop North, I have been known to venture North and run at Marlow and Maidenhead. National XC are at Sunderland this year, best I check the expiry on my passportimage
    what - club night, schedule says 5x1mile (on road). Bizarrely looking forward to it. Saw physio yesterday and had a surprisingly pain free sports massage. Don't remember that ever happening before.
    why - Tuesdays
    last rest - 2012
    last hard - last week

if anyone cares, youngest got 3 more county times in day 2 of swimming on Sunday (1st in both 50 'fly & 200 IM, 2nd in 100 free). As you can guess, swimming is lane and pool time intensive, so they have time standards in order to control numbers eligible to compete in the county champs. Up to her coach now I guess on what event(s) she will do. She is obviously chuffed, as am I! She clearly gets her water skills from her mum, I have seen bricks stay afloat longer than me.

• Morning,

Nice to see your daughter doing so well Dustin. My older one is in rebellious mode and could probably be county champion at some iPad game.  image

What: - Hopefully a 5 miler...  having had my first knee-pain-free run for ages at the weekend.

Why? starting to think about HM in March.

Last rest - yesterday.

Lyrics -  of course. Thank goodness for an easy one.

• Morning!

Girls are doing well, Dustin! Enjoy the 5 x a mile...tough session.

Consultant was pleased last night although the scar is more pronounced than expected: he has given me a not to get something from the GP to help reduce that. He is largely leaving things in the hands of the physio, only wanting to see me if there's a problem. Am due a sports massage as well, but it won't be as pain free as Dustin's!

Well done, Donaldo! I was a deputy head for many years: its quite a strange role...I found that I became well qualified to be in the Diplomacy Corps!

M:  don't forget that you have a few long runs in the bank from the last few days, and these are bound to affect your speed work too.

What: a walk this evening with something like 6 x 300 very slow again. The slow will be the recovery jog during one of my coachees' sessions.
    Why: cautiously building up.
    And MUST do more stretches/core.

Lyrics: yes, I am humming it now!

Where's Paddy?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news Alehouse.

Wow - hope she sticks with it Dustin. Local garage is usually good - it's just that the car is ten years old and I'm stuck if it has to be off the road.

M - as Alehouse says, you've run a lot of miles lately.

• What: unsure
    Why: half day today but not very nice outsideimage
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last Hard: Saturday (part that felt like a motocross track IS a motocross track!)
    Lyrics: no

• Dustin: very talented daughter!

Donaldo: congrats image

M: don't be too hard on yourself. When is your marathon? I bet you still have plenty of time and those first few tempo runs are the hardest anyway. Mine will start in 2 weeks time I think.

Yes, where is Paddy? And stickless? And 40 Minutes, AF, and ...  NZC?

what: 10 miles easy
    why: I felt like it
    last hard: 11 hour day at work yesterday
    last rest: yesterday for obvious reasons
    lyrics: yes

• Car went straight through its MOT - £40 - couldn't ask for more than that. Managed a good couple of hours on the bike in the dry too and now refuelling with the last piece of xmas cake.

• lyrics- yes, but my least favourite song by that band!

easy jogging tonight with daughter who just started running last week and wants to go to parkrun soon!

• Think I know the lyrics - but the one I'm thinking of is an album track!

Hope you are all well on here - still pop by and have a read from time to time. Since running the Olympic test event its been a bit of a let down..hey ho, trying now to get some decent training in..

• Good to see you, Simon: things can't be too bad: saw that you got a parkrun win recently!

Did anyone else notice that there is to be a Yorkshire Marathon on 20th October...a very flat course I hear. May be good for an autumn marathon...should I put your name down LMH?!

http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/about.html

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon

What 8 easy
    Why bit tired from yesterday
    Lyrics Yes, of course

Had to drop the car at the garage on the way to work so the 7ish became 8ish instead. Legs very tired from Mondays long run but will try and repeat it tomorrow for a mid week long run. Otherwise training going nicely and aim to start throwing in the odd bit of speed work in the next couple of weeks or so.

• Hmmm - may have to start negotiations Alehouse, certainly looks interesting. My target IM is in the middle of September so all I'd need to do was recover image

• Afternoon turned out not too bad - windy++ but stayed dry. Sun even peeped through.image
    7.5 mile circular route some track mainly on minor roads.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

What: core & stretches
    Why: meant to do 9km but hip a bit stiff this morning, and after the problems of the last year I didn't want  to push it.  Feeling ok now though.
    Last hard: trying to remember all my German back at work today!
    Lyrics: nope

Dustin wow talented daughter!  Yes I do know Cressex.
    Ale good news from the consultant then
    LMH good news about the car
    Hello SC2
    Chicka
    that's a long work day!

Hopefully I'll be able to do that 9 km tomorrow instead.

Have a good one all.

• Evening

donaldo : Congrats mate. Well done on the promotion.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Donaldo - well done

Dustin - talented girls indeed

Reading Scott Jurek bok Eat + Run... good reading, but he is very full of himself...

Good session here tonight.. 10 mins easy (1.23m / 8.09mm) 20 mins Steady (2.81m / 7:07mm) 20 mins Threshold (3.07m / 6:31mm) 8.33m in total but did the steady bit a tad too fast.... so therefore suffered a tad on the threshold...

Take care

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments.  alehouse, in the 8 weeks I have been doing the job, I have tried to be friend to all and succeeded in alienating everyone!  But I am loving it.  Great challenge.

Nice running RFJ.  

Just 4 miles for me tonight in 35 mins.  Not feeling at my best but plodded round all the same! image

Don't know the lyrics today.  

• Lyrics, easy peasy.

Donaldo, a nice effort there, matey. Your run has inspired me.
    RFJ: too hard. That smacks of training.
    Postie, a bonus mile for the tally!
    Max's Mum: nice encouragement. She'll be burning you off in no time. Then the training will really  have to start.

I'd be smart and comment on everyone else, but ought to get my bum out the door.

• Congratulations Donaldo - not an easy role at all I would think.

Well done again to your youngest Dustin - thats great swimming.  Great that she is pleased too.

Alehouse - sounds like you've got a good doctor there.

Chickadee - not a marathon (well not till later in the year anyway) - currently getting ready for the NZ Half Marathon Champs in 5 and 1/2 weeks time.  

LMH / Alehouse - yes you are probably right about the miles.  I'm used to running a lot of miles so I don't pay it much attention but I have had a few weeks of lower mileage at the end of last year so the buildup again is probably making me quite tired.

I shouldn't really care about the first race of the year - and normally wouldn't. But in Oct last year I finally ran a qualifying time for VLM which I can use in 2014 but the timing of that doesn't work for us at all.  So I'd really like to run a qualifying time again so I can safely put that off and know that I'll still be able to come over and run it at some point.

Nice running there RFJ

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LOL at Blisters... you know you want too...image