2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Thanks Fiona legs a little heavy for tonights run, MLR tomorrow. Great running yourself at 7:17 paceimage.

• Fiona C, yep the same influx of new punters all with good intentions I guess but will be back to normal in 6 weeks great pace on your run tonight!
  • Teknik, good running, I'm glad the HR is improving

NN, that a good improvement over a short period of time, you're right to be pleased

Sara, Welcome and good luck,

OH, I'm terrible at getting out of my bed in the morning, but I really enjoyed running through the holidays at 9-10 in the mornings

NP, two 7 milers well done, can I ask what is the benefit of doing two 7's as opposed to a 14?

Fiona, It was good meeting you too image  good pace tonight, I knew Craig group was quick,  were you off road?

A sandwiched JS session for me 2 miles too and from JS and an easy paced 5 miler with a little trip up a hill at Blackpark filling Station,

9 miles in total avgHR for the three runs were 132(70%), 140(74%), 139(73%)

• An hours badminton then watching the Polar Bears (BBC2) to finish off the day image
    Els and I often do an extra before the JS group here too

• Thank you all for the welcome and your advice! I must say I am currently of the same mindset as OH- is my idea of hell... But Fiona and NP make good points so maybe I should just suck it up and go for it.

NP my best half time is 1:48. I also can't imagine doing two 7 milers in a day at the moment- but would also be good training towards a four lap marathon I imagine!

Looks like I have some work to do...

Impressive running guys, hope training continues to go well for everyone!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart it was just out to Dochgarroch and back but so many puddles and everyone seemed to find the muddy bits quite slippery. That's a steep hill at Blackpark!

4 miles easy this morning, legs knew they'd run/done weights last night. Planning to get out later for something easy.

F

• Morning
    No running done yet I am combining my midweek MLR 14 miler with club run later
    Sara good luck with training for that 4 lapper 2 laps of anything would be enough for me, I guess the only way to train and get your head round it is, as you say do laps in training.
    SM6 which plan are you following ? sensible decision to build the miles slowly if you haven done that kind of mileage before .

MG1 I couldnt believe then amount of people in my gym yesterday, 5 minute wonder without a doubt especially the women that manage to do a whole workout and leave without a hair out of place and full face of makeup unsmudged

OH  I am planning to watch that Polar bears programme on catchup this afternoon before running club and the Africa thing from David Attenborough.

Stuart nice low HR for the runs
    NP and Fiona very impressive tempo paces,hope the side pain improves Fiona , it certainly doesn't seem to be slowing you down that's for sure, I am impressed by the way  you Jason and NP seem you get 2 runs done most days, how often do you have rest days ?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP great double yesterday

NN fantastic pace improvement in just 3 weeks..good luck on the MLR laterimage

Sara welcome.  It's funny, I hate two lap courses (like OH), but I did a 17 lap mara in June and it was great - psychologically it was easier to count down from 17 than 26 ! Breaking a mara into 4 chunks sounds pretty good to me...

OH well done on the windy 7..5m

HM well done. How's the shoulder these days?

Stuart nice 3.7m - sensible decision on the mileage

MG good gym session

Fiona great pace on your 7.35m. Good luck on today's double.

Stewart well done on the 9 miles

---

3m poodle this morning.  Out tonight with the club for a MP run.

• Tek so you are now running doubles ?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN - Not usually - I normally just run in the morning. The Wednesday night run is a new thing, and I try to get a few miles done in the morning in case I CBA at 7pm...imageimage

• Ah I see !! its just that I see there are a few on here that do and I was beginning to feel lazy !! P&D  do have me doing a few doubles later in the scheule, I will try them but cant make out why they are there, when monday is rest day it seems odd to do 2 runs on the tues ,image why not run once monday and once tues , I guess there is reason in the madness

• Hello Guys. I have a bit of catching up to do as afetr running last night went for a meal with colleagues.  Thansk for the name change suggestions - I may well do something like that in the future ( watch this space )

Welcome Sara. Good luck with your Marathon training....

Nice to hear that Fiona and Stewart met up  and have done some good training there !!

OH - you do some good cross training with the swimming and Badderrs. I play with the wife sometimes and its enjoyabkle to do something different !

NN - hope the MLR went well with the club.

Jason - your mileage is immense this month already !! 

Hows the Wrist NP?

Tonight was a just an hour run with the dog - Lulu Enjoyed it and so Did I image

• Fiona - Nice pace!

I manage to avoid the gym jokers by going at 8am, even in January it's still empty at that time.

Stewart - Good running

NN - Unlike most on here, I'm not doing a spring/early summer marathon (Loch Ness in Sept is my only marathon) so I'm just doing my own thing and trying to slowly build up for the next few months.

Tek - Hope you had a good run tonight

AGF - Nice running.

---------

Unexpected rest day here, through a combination of laziness and shopping needing done before work tonight.

Fast run of some description tomorrow

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN know what you mean about these ladies that look like they have just left the hairdresser upon leaving the gym, I look like I got caught in a hurricane! I have a rest day every Friday but did nothing on Monday this week so will just add a few miles here and there! This is my first time of trying doubles and so far I'm enjoying it, my morning runs are short recovery then I can do a different session at night. Hope the 14 goes well and the club run Teknik.

Nice dog running AGF! image

12 for me very easy, heart rate pretty low for 8:18mm pace.

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post Stuart, I do like the relaxed running between marathons. Fast run of some sort for me tomorrow too. image 

F

• Night Nurse, yes know what you mean, the young ladies who go home looking like what they they did when they arrived makes me smile , mind the blokes who go to lift weights and look at themselves can't run more than 200 m are just as bad, i go home looking wasted most times but feel like Ive done something
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    No doubles for me today. But did a 15m MLR followed by another mile warm down? All ok image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC Well done on the 9 miles, with regards to the 2 x 7 miles one is a tempo run the othe steady building to a tempo.

Fiona nice double again and 16 miles for the day fantastic.

Teknik nice morning run hope you enjoyed tonights.

AGF Nice dog runimage

Nice running Jason another 15 miles in the bank.

Just over 14 miles for me tonight on tired legsimage all done at an easy pace.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- well done on the 14 image my legs aren't particularly tired, but they are still recovering from Monday's massage image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF nice Lulu runimage

NN I'm a bit confused too by that schedule - I think it's a hangover from assuming peeps still want one day rest.  I'd rather do something both days than try to double Tuesday...

Stuart enjoy the rest of the day off and have fun with the fast one tomorrow

Fiona nice easy 12m - that's some pace for a low HRimage

MG lol

Jason well done on the medium run

NP well done on the 14m tonight

---

Tonight was 1.79m w/up and w/down and a short 6m with the club. I chickened out on making it a 83%/MP run but was very happy with the 8.44mm pace at less than 74%max. Bit of drift but the last couple were uphill.  HR improving in daily lumps now...

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

It's been a bit painful at work recently so I'm starting to do the physio exercises for it.  I'm thinking it's not liking the transition back to activty.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.   I've forgoteen how much you guys can talk!

• Evening 

Well done on  mid week mlrs NP and Fiona, also I  agree with what Tek said that really is a very impressive pace for low hr Fiona

Tek nice run and hr low rate

Jason..tut only one run ? you should be ashamed of yourself image

My original plan went out the window I decided to run on my own rather than mixing it with club run ( unsociable person that I am  ) so I could control pace and profile , I didn't want too many hills OR a race, I started nice and easy gradually upping the pace comfortably .

So 14.2 in 2.11 ( ave pace 9.13) ave HR 74%

9.40...9.30...9.11...9.10...9.14..9.21... 8.58 ....9.04...9.08...9.06...9.10...8.49...8.49...8.46

last bit .2  in 1.49

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Nice training guys n gals n pooches image

Looking forward to a nice slow 5M recovery in the morning.
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

A lot of good MLRs happening, must do a bit more next week!

4 miles easy again this morning.

F

• Easy 5 miles last night 71%, looking to get around 8 to 9 miles tonight, lots of impressive running going on,  

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on your run last night.

Night nurse well done on your run nice splits.

Mace hope your run was ok

Fiona nice first run of the day, you have to be very happy with the way your training is goingimage

SC Well done on the 5 miles last night enjoy your run tonight.

I think this forum must have the highest % of people on the top 3 pages of Fetch and if i'm not mistaken Jason will be top by end of play today or tomorrowimage Well done mate.

Another 7 miles in the bank for me today.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM good luck with the shoulder exercises - I wondered if the cold weather was making it worse...

NN well done on the MLR - good progressive splits

mace hope you enjoyed this morning's bimble

Fiona nice easy 4m

Stewart good easy run last night, good luck tonight.

---

Was supposed to be the LSR today but my knee was aching after last night, so I cut it short - 6m easy on the tarmac then 6.18m in the muddy woods with the club.

• macemace ✭✭✭

5M recovery was fine, thanks gents .... 9:38m/m @ 65%, so almost nodded off image

Nice runs Fiona, Stewart, NP, Tek image

Tek, hope the ache clears quickly .... LSR on a Thurs ? Is that normal for you ?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP sorry x-post - I'm at risk of demotion to page 4...well done on the 7 miles

mace - the schedule's all a bit screwy as we have Sunday Half Mara training, and if I did the LSR on a Saturday that would mean two hard days back-to-back...

• Thats a very good MLR NN - well done.

I hope the Physio exercises work HM4

Your banking lots of multipel 7 Milers NP image  Miles in January = Smiles in April image  Yes we have lots of higher mileage nutters in here image

Its been a nice morning for your recovery runs Mace/Fiona.

Good running Steart - enjoy todays run !!

Teknik - thats a very solid 12 from you there. Hope the ache calms down. Less is more sometimes......

Another Hours jog with Lulu today....as such she is now sleeping sound image