Wednesday 9th January 2013

On the other side of a street I knew, stood a girl who looked like you

Met a friend for coffee this morning.  He said "you look great - have you put a bit of weight on?".  Arrrrrrgh.  Why would anyone ever think thats a good thing to say?

what: 90mins hills
why: thats what my running partners were doing.  They are both a bit quicker than me but even when I fell behind a bit I kept my head up and kept pushing at it. So all in all pretty successful. 

Comments

• Morning you lot

Yesterdays lyrics: Stairway to Heaven' by Led Zepplin.

What:3M Steadily.

Why: An easy week to break self back in.

Catch up time soon.

Brekkie calling

• Well done to Dustins daughter and good news for you ale.

• Morning.

Wow - you really are putting the training in M - do you not swim or bike anymore at all? By qualifying time for VLM do you mean championship time?

That was a late run Blisters - don't know how you do it.

What:               easy run
    Why:                taper
    Last hard:        last year
    Last rest:         7/1

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Another nice long run banked, M.

What: a walk of some description
    Why: easy day
    Last hard: yesterday evening...5 x 400 (last one was 500) very slow. Even though this was the recovery for the girls doing 5 x 1200 I couldn't quite keep up, although wasn't trying too hard to.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    M- had to laugh at the weight on comment. I have learnt never to comment on a ladies weight, or indeed whether their "bum looks big in this" There is only downside.
    Agree too with LmH - you are certainly putting the miles in!
    Without being specific, there is plenty of decent training going on around here. How long before the next "Super Sunday"?
    lyric - seem vaguely familiar

Last nights club session: 5x1mile with 0.2m jog recovery. Didn't do rep splits but was a few seconds under 40minutes for the (all in) 6 miles. More than happy with that, and the closest I've been to puking after training for several years.
    today - 5 or 6 slow at lunchtime if the legs are working by then along a flat Thames, or same distance tonight on dimly lit village streets.
    why - recovery
    last hard - definitely yesterday
    last rest - 2012

laters 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

ontheweight front I am now at my lowest for some time, but still 2lbs from the 10st, elusive 10st!

yes what a comment M!

had a good race last night, 25.22 for 3.17, happy.

what: 10m lsr

why: off to Peru Friday and need this distance under my belt before I go!

last hard: last nights race!!

last easy: monday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • LMH - I gave up tri 4 years ago after a bike accident.  The roads are not good here for cycling.  The very serious hills mean that there are really only 2 roads out of town - both of them effectively motorways.  I still swim for fun occasionally, but don't train in the pool anymore.  So yes I just run - lots! I do really enjoy it though - much more so than I used to.

Yes a championship time.  Because I don't live in the UK I cant use a GFA time - but so long as I'm a UKA club member I can still use a championship time. So I need to do it again!

I am feeling the need to do something different though so I may go a bit crazy in the next few weeks and try some track.  Our local track is just about to reopen after 3 months closed being resurfaced. Might be a giggle (for other people at least).

Good on you keeping it steady there Alehouse.  It will be worth it in the end!

Nice session there Dustin (I'm ignoring you laughing!!!)

• Morning again!

Good news on the weight, Wabo...my initial target is to get below 10...I was 10.12 last week...and am now 10.13!image
    Will you be running in Peru this time? How long is the trip? Bet you can't wait!

M:  how long was it before your other half was able to run properly post achilles op?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

HI Alehouse, I will have to run in Peru but the good news is I will be at sea level this time and have beaches and coastal boardwalks to runon! Cant wait.  Mini wabo wants to runwith me too which is nice.  Doing VLM so I have to run. trip is 12 days.

• Operation was mid March. He was back running gently by mid May and doing pretty serious distances by end of June/early July.  I don't think he raced until early September, but when he did he was pretty competitive straight away so he'd maybe left his racing comeback quite a while later than he had to.

Well done on the weight Wabo - something I seem to be always thinking about! I'm about 9st4 at the moment - got down to about 8st12 for the marathon. Enjoy your trip to Peru!!

• Bet you can't wait Wabo!

You take it steady Alehouse!

Wow M - championship times and skinny minny! I think that may be one of the reasons I don't run very fast - find it very hard to lose weight being hypothyroid, not that I'm big cos I'm not but I'd probably perform better carrying a couple of kgs less than I currently doimage To be honest I'd rather just run but I break if I do so the tri training works for me though if my EIA is still an issue in the swim this season I shall have to revert to being a runner and just cross train a lot - though the odd sprint tri would be fine. I do love the long stuff though so would probably see if I could cope with some more ultras.

• Thanks for that, M:  I'll be way behind your OH...I wasn't very fit going into the op, plus I'm a lot older!
    I'm being very careful, LMH! Just trying to get some sort of fitness before the prostate treatment in Feb.

Wabo:  when I saw mini Wabo was going to run with you I thought that you meant Cleo!!

• Morning All

Can't believe it's been a week since I've been on here.  Must catch up over next few days with everyone's news.

Been ill for past week but all better now.  However, it's put a big dent in my marathon training plan.  Will I be OK to have lost a week's training??

What: 6 miles comfortable run.

Why: first run after a week and training for Brighton Marathon.

Lyrics: no idea

On another note, was delighted to see David Bowie released a new single yesterday! Lovely.

And the end of panto at work is now in sight - just 9 more shows to go and it's all over on Sunday!  Can't wait!

• CWow, good morning(just) where to start. Well done to all above on efforts various and good to see ill/injured/dented on recovery roads.
    Lyrics: Feel as though I should
    What: Dreadmill
    Why: TKD to follow
    Last hard: Saturday(Still recovering. Instructor put us through hell)
    Last Rest: Friday
    Beginning to panic a bit at schedule and wondering where this year is going to go as time seems to accelerate with age and deadlines! 
    On the weight front, Trying to get back under 12st so may have to radically up the activity or drop the carbs and beerimage
    AH...keep it steady.

• What: rest
    Why: Run yesterday and tomorrow + on duty tonight
    Last Hard: yesterday
    Last Rest: Monday
    Lyrics: no

Davey_P Isn't Dave Bowie  past his sell by date (along with Macca and Elton) judging by latest single?
    Alehouse I think you are taking it steadily and doing well

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

alehouse it wouldnt surprise me if mini mini wabo did!

I am with Davey p, love bowie but have not listened to new single yet

• M - realised after I'd submitted that my 'skinny minny' comment could read wrongly - do apologise if that's the case.

Davey - one missed week at this stage isn't going to have an adverse effect.

SC - maybe the beer - but I couldn't run without the carbs!

• Nice hill running, M. Gotcha - I thought you were doing Wellington marathon, obviously I misread you earlier post image. How fast does one have to run for a championship place?

OH and Davey: massive Bowie fan but the new single sounds a bit drab. He's too sexy to ever have a sell by date though image

what: something very short later
    why: it's been raining since yesterday and doesn't show any signs of stopping
    last hard: Saturday
    last rest: Monday
    lyrics: yes

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

What: 9km on hills
    Why: missed it yesterday, though the hills weren't planned!
    Last hard: some of those hills were hard!

M he he!  I don't know why people think it's nice to say, but for some reason they do!  When I was back in the UK people kept saying "you look well" and I was wondering whether it was the British way of saying "You've got fat".  I have put on weight since moving, but seeing as I'm still under 55kg I can hardly be called "well"!!!

Wabo I thought you meant Cleo too and was thinking, can she even walk yet?!

Decided I'm going to try and enter the Two Oceans Half Marathon in cape town on Easter Saturday.  It'll be hot though and as we only fly out 2 days before the race, I don't think it'll be a pb course as I won't be used to the heat.

Have a good day all.

• Two days on the trot on here...miraculous - esp after being away for yonks. Yes, wildly out on the lyrics - but if anyone knows the lyrics to 'Good night, though' off the Hup album by the Wonderstuff will see how I got mixed up!

Alehouse - yes pleased with parkrun, still trying bhard to get back under 16 for 5k - but been so many injuries etc its been a struggle.

Great hearing about interesting trips people going on. not been away for ages..some decent sessions too, no doubt building up for the marathon

Last hard - Dec 27th - 6 x 1 mile..getting over a cold/hives/rampant mouth ulcers (lovely..) so steady to and from work with bag at the moment. Surrey Leage xc on saturday.

• Afternoon!
    Just logging my 4.25k walk: off road. Was pleased to find that the last 0.5k was puddly grass: it gave the trainers a bit of a clean after the previous couple of k of liquid mud!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

emzap oh cleo walks, she counts in spanish, says colours in english! SHe is amazing.

simon, oh dear hope you are all recovered now, that all sounds nasty!

• Afternoon

What 15.15 MWLR
    Why I have a plan
    Lyrics No

Have now proved to  myself that this distance into work is possible, though makes the rest of the day rather tiring. Not sure about tomorrow, depends on how my assignment goes this evening and wether I can get an extension, feel I've been neglecting my OU side of life recently.

Good luck with your Champs campaign M, 3:15 is tough call.

• Good effort AH.
    Ref bowie, always been a fan and will be. Sounds 66 though on the new single and whilst reflective of Berlin years tis IMHO a tad dreary and not his finest work by far. Hope he had a good birthday and the album is better

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Good to see an interesting and busy thread today!  Don't know the lyrics.

Much better run today, 5 miles in 37:44.  Escaped work for an hour and got out in the sunshine. image