Mental illness and running

Comments

• Evening Bricki, hope you're doing a bit better today.  Will catch your diary entry later I expect.

Good to see plenty of good vibes around again today.  Mr F - echo what's already been sent really.  Your article certainly gave me plenty to think about, but even if you're just having a bad day, you know you can always talk about your problems on here and, at the very least, there'll be plenty of support and sympathy.

Right, half an hour to get tidied up in here then off to the running club.

• Mr F, sometimes we just need to know thatt there are other people there and listening, so even if you have nothing to contribute, the occassional post just to let us know you are listening is enough.

Solb, your texts might be short sometimes, but I'm learning to read between the lines.  I can often tell if you are genuinely ok but don't want to talk.

Bear, well done on going to the class.  It sounds great fun and I hope you can keep it up image

Bricki, I confess that I'm not reading your blog.  I don't feel that it is in my own interests at the moment and that is no reflection on you at all.

• As for facing up to the workplace.  I had a breakdown a few years ago and had to take 8 weeks off work.  I was not looking forward to going back, particularly as I has been a right bitch to certain people in the week before being taken ill.

In the end I asked for a group meeting at the beginning of the day.  I explained to people that I had been off with stress and that coming back was really hard.  I told them that I wasn't fully better and could be a bit over emotional but that I was on the mend and was able to do my job.  I appologised for being nasty to people and said that I was glad to be back, and that if anyone had any questions at any point then please ask me.

The reception I got was good and all of the team welcomed me back.  I was treated the same as when I left, except that maybe people were a bit careful to keep stressful situations away from me.  The only person who had trouble with me was my boss, and to be fair she was the one mostly responsible for my illness.  I won't go into the details of how I was treated right now, but I had enough grounds to take her to a tribunal for constructive dismissal.  One thing I do want to stress is that only the one person was a problem.  Everybody else was fantastic, and if I'd known then what I know now about life in general, I would have done things differently to help her to understand how to deal with me.

Because of my boss, I felt forced to leave the company so I changed jobs as soon as I could.  In hindsight I'm glad that I did as I had been getting stale there anyway and the new job provided me wwith a lot of new and exciting opportunities.

• ?????? New Post ??????

The Dark and The Light

Day 28

Ch-ch-ch-changes

http://brickibarthez.tumblr.com/post/40032351496/day-28
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks all. Never has a forum been so welcoming. Your all truly inspirational. Well, today was my first day back at work since before Christmas. Im on reduced hours to break.me in gently over a period of 6 weeks. My immediate colleagues are supportive, its just higher up the food chain where the sympathy dies. Seeing my occ health doctor tomorrow for a catch up visit to ensure things are still on track. Then to the go again on Fri for a medication review. caz, I really like your approach to returning to work. I think many people are a bit scared of colleagues with mental health conditions. Maybe they don't know what to do or say or how to react? Your meeting was certainly a strong and positive way of dealing with your return to work and I'm sure they really respectedbyou for that
  • Good to hear you're had a better day, Bricki.  Did realise you were a goalie as well.  I'll be in action in a cup game tomorrow night against the top team in our league.  It's not going to be dull.  I was about to announce my retirement but then got persuaded to take over running the team which makes it difficult now. 

Succesful run tonight - about 9k including the infamous hill.  I ran well on the flat but the hill soon got the better of me.  I have also volunteered as run leader when they start the extra group on Thursdays.

• Can relate to the problems at work being further up, Mr F.  I'm sure most of my colleagues would be supportive, but not entirely trustworthy in that there's no way of telling them without it getting to the top, so I don't,  Also agree it was a good approach from Caz in going back to work - and all the more admirable as, although it's the right thing to do, it must have been very difficult.

Getting back into can't be bothered to shift myself upstairs mode again, so really must make the effort.

Night all.

• Me too, must sleep at some point.

Night all

xxx
  • The new tablets are working. I've done really well today after docs at 8.50 I've been out from 13.00-23.00 including coffee in town and a reasonably relaxed brief conversation with a stranger. Have been to mummySOLBs work and collected her forgotten phone from her boss which involved talking on the intercom (which freaks me out) and then took poorly MummySolb flowers. I emailed some social clubs in the area - inspired by Bear's success. So I should feel really proud, but I don't. I feel crushed by burning shame like I've done something terribly wrong image

On the plus side I got some lovely spotty hugs

I need to try to wind down and sleep but feel suffocated by shame. Maybe I've just pushed too hard today
  • Morning all.

SOLB - really well done on your efforts yesterday.  I think maybe you have got to watch how much you take on in one go as it's still early days.  Hope you managed to settle down OK after your last post.  Spotty hugs sound like they're the best - though mught need explaining to our newcomers.

• Morning all

Ahhh indeed! Spotty hugs are enormous cuddles from my parents 18month old Dalmatian image I'll find a picture of him cos he's beautiful though he has to have an op tomorrow on a poorly paw

Hope everyone has a positive day
  • Huge hugs to spotty dog.

solb, thanks for your concern yesterday. Still battling the tinnitus but the dizziness is almost gone. I'm celebrating by sorting out a load of washing.

Moo is at the hospital today - dietician. It'll either be a image or a image
  • Hi guys,  that is amazing progress Solb.  Well done, but don't go doing too much in one go *waggles finger*

I've got the afternoon off because I had someone coming to look at the house.  He arrived within 10 min of me getting home so I now have the whole afternoon free.  I'm off for a long swim later.  I had a 4k swim scheduled in but after talking to my coach I'm going to swap it for the 7k swim instead

I have no idea why, but today I am feeling super bouncy.

*Leaves excess energy next to the Earl Grey, Peppermint and normal tea*

• Lots of hugs going by 'eck  ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

There might be a few left over for others if by 'eck doesn't want them image

• I will share hugs and pass them on

I have lovely tea. It was a Christmas present all the way from Paris. It smells and looks wonderful and tastes fabulous. There are even pink and purple petals in it!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Caz you really are super. Bouncy days are so good aren't they? Thanks for the earl grey. Does by 'eck need a choccy hob nob too?
  • image  I can't eat choccy hob nobs

• Caz can you eat the Prewetts choccy biscuits, they are very yummy, but you don't get many in a packet. My swimming is nowhere near the distances you do. I am doing Winterswim and the next round is 800m or 1500m so will have to find time to do it.

(By 'eck) and (()) for sharing around.

• I don't think I've heard of them CJ.  I'm not a big biscuit person, but hob nobs tend to have the same effect on me as bread.  Not all biscuits are as bad as that.

But I guess that if I'm giving up gluten then I need to find alternative comfort foods to pizza and dough balls.

• There are GF pizzas Caz.

Just given myself a kick to go out for a run. Back late.

• Football tonight - then chicken casserole. Oh yes
  • Supercaz, Mrs crimble's make rather lovely GF macaroons
  • I agree by 'eck Mrs Crimbles macaroons are good and don't look or taste GF.

I ran/walked 2.4 miles. Pleased with the effort.

• Evening lovelies. 

Hope its good news from the dietician by eck.

I've done a lunch time run for half an hour today. image It was lovely to go into work this morning without that sinking anxiety feeling. I found myself singing I can see clearly now the rain has gone. image

Caz - can I join you for a bounce please?

Macaroons - ooooo lovely. GF or non GF would all be fine in the soup cave. 

• Little moo has put on 100g in the last 6 months. That's not enough so he is now not allowed any cow's milk protein (on top of all his other exclusions).so we now have new milk (which requires much acting from to persuade him to even taste it), and a whole load of cooking to do. It's a 6 week trial. I need hugs and chocolate
  • ((((((by 'eck))))))

Green and Blacks any good? Milk or plain?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I just had a HUGE green and blacks selection box of 25 massive bars of green ans blacks for Xmas..... Awesome. Evening folks! X
  • Whooah!  Who's dishing out Green and Blacks whilst I was still out and about!

Lost a close game tonight.  Stopped everything I could then beaten by wicked deflections.

By 'eck, didn't realise you had tinnitus. Me too.

Hugs to everyone but particularly ((((spotty dog)))) for his op tomorrow.

• LR, it is mean. How do you manage to stop it driving you crazy?

I'm not sure what make it is, but we do have spiced chilli chocolate, grown up chocolate orange, and some lovely Madagascan vanilla