RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Sarah, carterusm - thanks, that sounds really nice. It always makes a nice change to do a long run somewhere new, and if there's nice scenery as well it's even better!

• It is really gorgeous out there Andy, without doubt you will find an enjoyable run (although probably hilly) image

New Autumn Marathon in York has just been advertised;

http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/?utm_source=launch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YMlaunchdm

• Andy - if you want some off road routes in the peaks drop me a message and I will send you some links for some I've done. But as Sarah says some of them are quite hilly !
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi sarah, hope you are well? I am thinking I might do that Yorkshire marathon. I am looking for a suitable one for the autumn and date wise it suits quite nicely. I will need a good couple of months after my Lands End to John O'Groats cycle ride to have enough time to do the marathon justice so it should fit in ok.

Are you thinking about doing it?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Having just run 3 miles for the first time in 10 days I am declaring myself officially back in the game! image

Sarah - looks like you're doing incredibly well.

You're way ahead of me. I need to get back on building my base miles. I'd already done two good weeks before the lurgie hit so I need to get back on that and start increasing the long run. Can't see me doing any speed for at least another 4 weeks.

Before the man flu hit I remember reading on here about Sarah's netball and the consensus was she should continue with this as it'd be a benefit. I have a similar issue with rugby.

There's a bit more contact in Rugby of course, although I don't know how you play your netball Sarah - perhaps that gentle smiling exterior is just a front for the complete psychopath that lies beneath and only emerges on the netball court? image

Anyway, I'd be interested in any views. In past seasons I've just stopped when the fear of injury has risen above a certain threshold (mid Feb is usually the time). I'm sure I've had more injuries from running than I've had from rugby. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Oh - meant to say, that York marathon does look very tempting. I don't do well in the heat so late October would be perfect so long as we don't get an unexpected heatwave.

I will have to start my negotiations with Mrs Malcs.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Malcs, glad to hear you are back! image I have found it pretty beneficial in the past to carry on with team sports but if you have any particular injury worries you need to be careful. I have a problem with my back and hockey really causes issues so I have decided this year to knock it on the head. In truth, it's because I really need to give myself the best chance of hitting my goal this year so I'm not taking any chances.

Last year I played a bit of hockey and enjoyed being fitter only to crash my bike badly cycling into work and ended up in plaster, so injuries can happen at any time.

If I was you I'd carry on. Having a team interest stops you becoming too insular around the running and for an outgoing guy like you who works at home on your own a lot I think you probably need the camaraderie.

My legs are pretty sore now after running 9 miles this morning with 4 at HMP! Tomorrow I've got 11 miles - I imagine the first 2 or 3 might be interesting!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - we could have a reunion of the bootcamp rejects! Nice city for a weekend - it's Mrs DS2's birthday that week so I will have to negotiate as well.

I'm not sure telling her that I've booked a weekend away for her and then getting up on the Sunday morning at stupid O'clock to run a marathon will go down too well!image

• sarah osborne wrote (see)

Hi Steve, it was mainly birds that I saw, must have seen over 6 different species of small birds and some ducks and geese. Also saw some grey squirels and what seemed to be over a hundred dogs...all extremly well behaved and under control of their owner. 

I do love my wildlife - here's my David Attenborough DVD collection (!):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_8uCHKCMAETBFH.jpg:large

• Aw, it's lovely to hear from you DS2 and Malcs, we've missed you on the forums.

DS2 I'm seriously considering the new Yorkshire/york marathon, the route looks pretty nice and its on my door step too. The only problem is my OH said I could only do one more then I had to give him a child before I was allowed to do another one.....but I'm sure I can work on him and he will come around to the idea. I have just signed up to the rat race which is sometime in October so I need to check the dates of that. I guess I can either sell my place on or take it very steady if it clashes! Im sure Mrs DS2 would love a weekend away in York, she could go shopping whilst you ran....there's some nice little boutiques! Good run this morning...sounds similar to the one I have planned for tomorrow. Hope your legs are feeling refreshed by the morning

Malcs its such a difficult decision. I was already for walking yesterday and not playing for the rest of the season as we've managed to find an extra player/sub, however I was talked in to playing tonight and did really enjoy myself and want to carry on playing now. I'm petrified of getting injured but at the same time it's good cross training and it stops you from getting bored. Let me know what you decide to do with regards to the rugby and good look with building up your miles.

Forgot to say regarding how I play I tend to mirror who ever I'm marking, if their aggressive I tend to be aggressive back, but if their nice I tend to be really polite and sometimes chatty depending on what's happening in the game....luckily I tend to mark nice people...I'm not very good at being aggressive!

Would be lovely to see you at the york marathon aswell, good luck with working on mrs Malcs

Your collection looks just like mine Steve. I really don't know what they would do without mr Attenborough, he's amazing in all the wildlife programmes I've seen. I don't think anyone else is on the same par!
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 Sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 2 day 9 - cross training.

Today I had a netball match. I was thinking about packing in netball for the rest of the season as we have found an extra player and I missed my running yesterday, however my captain talked me into playing still and I had a fabulous game, I really enjoyed it and have changed my mind about leaving the team temporally.

Despite playing WD (rather than centre) for 4x15 minutes I did plenty of running around, jumping, intercepting, reaching etc and I'm actually aching now in places I forgot I had. I feel like I've had a good work out, have distressed after work brilliantly and I've enjoyed the competitiveness of the game.

Tomorrow....hopefully my well over due speed/tempo session!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I can see this getting confusing when people say they are going to run the new York marathon - do they mean the new York marathon or the New York marathon, or maybe even both? image

• Haha, I thought that as I wrote it and re-read it back....me be i should just call it the Yorkshire/york marathon and drop the New!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Sarah. It's interesting to see someone else wrestling with the same kind of dillemma. I think you hit the nail on the head - it's the enjoyment that keeps you going back for more. Nothing really compares to team sport.

DS2 - I think you're right about the camaraderie too -it's a massive part of it. 

York is very tempting. I've always struggled with the spring heat. However, I know from running the Spitfire 20 last year in March that if it's cold then it's a whole different ball game for me. It would certainly be nice to meet up with yourself, Sarah and anyone else who's interested. If I can slipstream you for the first half then it could be my dream race image

I have sewn the seeds with Mrs Malcs. My sister is in Thorpe Willoughby so hopefully I can dump myself on her. 

Sarah - what's all this about babies? image Can you get one off ebay?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hope today's run goes well Sarah. It's a beautiful day for it.

Malcs - glad to hear you're back at it. Better to get the lurgy now than in a couple of months time. Yep I'd leave the speed until you're sure you're completely over it and concentrate on getting the miles built up again. You could start throwing some strides in to test the water when you feel like it.

Mixing other sports with running: I'd say it really depends on what you want out of 1) your running and 2) the other sport. I keep threatening to dip my toe in Tri and have done a good amount of cycling in the past but to improve my swimming to the required level and need to do it twice a week. Right now, where I feel there is still improvements to be had in my running, I prefer to do running sessions instead.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Minni. I agree better to get it over with. It's the 'over with' bit I'm struggling with though - having a bit of a relapse today image.

For me the rugby is purely for enjoyment and the social side. I don't want any more than that. I suspect I'll probably reach a point where either injury paranoia or lack of time will force me to end my season prematurely yet again. I am all about the running at the moment. Breaking 3:30 is my no.1 aim so everything else makes way for that.

I would love to try err... tri. If it wasn't for that pesky swimming mullarky I probably already would have!   I can see it might be difficult to consider diversifying when you can continue to see improvements in your running.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I really am tempted by York guys. I have to work out what I will be looking to achieve though. Assuming I get my GFA (big assumption!!!) at halstead I will then be turning my attention to my cycle ride in August - 1000 miles in 10 days - and then back to the running for VLM 2014 on my 50th birthday (if I'm right about the dates!) so I might not be looking to run it too fast. I think having an autumn marathon will keep me motivated to keep the wheels turning over!

Maybe we could run together Malcs around the 3;30 mark??? And anyone else who may be interested?

As for the multi-sport I was tempted to play hockey this weekend. Our new development side is playing at my daughters club after her game and they thought I might be interested. Our first team coach (double Olympian) was meant to be playing but he's at the National indoors so I was thinking of helping out. Came to my senses now though and decided running is the priority this year!!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    How did the run go Sarah?
  • Evening, did you do your speed session Sarah?

I missed the gym last night, something came up but I got out tonight for seven miles at 8:30s average including a demanding drag uphill for a couple of miles.

Tomorrow my plan says a mile jog, 2m brisk, then a mile jog, which will fit perfectly with our club run route.

Then rest Friday, long run Sunday, hopefully 13 to get a bit of confidence for the half.

• Evening all....maybe if we all aim for a sub 3:30 we could run together (and slip stream DS2???)

Ive just entered the york marathon...someone told me that there was a 5000 limit and they were already up to 3500 by tea time today...i got in a panic and signed on the dotted line. Think I might be over entering races, just checked dates and it might actually be the week after the Rat Race ive just also just signed up for....fingers crossed that date will be changed (due to football) to after the marathon.....so much for only doing one marathon!

Just entered GNR also.....this time it was my OH talking me into it and not the other way around.......fingers crossed hes catching the bug!

Malcs...can you do that? if kids are purchasable on ebay, that would solve everything....except whose going to look after them whilst im either at work, running, playing netball or in sheffield!! Sorry to hear that your feeling a bit worse again today..i hope its just a little blip and your feeling better by the morning.

What a fabulous way to celebrate your 50th DS2, although you dont look a year over 40. I like the fact that a sub 3:30 would be a fabulous time for me, whereas for you it would be "not too fast" lol! What run do you have planned for the weekend? Could you not get a run and hockey in or is that a little ambitious and dicing with the risk of injury?

Hi Mr Puffy and Minni, I had a very enjoyable run tonight....it was well over due, even though my last speed session was only 8 days ago, it felt more like a month ago! sounds like you had a nice steady run today Mr Puffy, im sure the rest from yesterday will have done you some good. Are you planning on doing anything on saturday?
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 2, day 10 speed/tempo session

Aim 8.25 miles speed training, including;

3 mile w/u (@ 9:30-7.55) with 5x100m strides,

2x2 miles at HMP (@7:15) with 60 secs recovery.

1 mile c/d

Actual; 8.2 miles including;

3 mile warm up starting at 9:30 min/ml and ending at 8 min/ml with 5 x 100m

strides (@ 6.08-6.27 min/ml)

2x2miles @ 7:08 min/mls with 60 sec recovery in between (@9 min/ml)

1.1 mile c/d starting at 8min/ml and finishing at 9:30 min/ml

This session was really over due. For the last few days I have been getting the urge to sprint around as fast as I can (which I got the chance to do a little in netball yesterday...but it just wasnt the same)

I decided also to do my resistance training today as I hadnt done any since friday and i wasnt able to resist
  • Hi Sarah

Some good running again there, well done.

A question for you. How do you manage to get more than 7 days into one of your weeks ? Your training diary says Week 2, day 10 !!!! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Wow sarah - you are training well at the moment! That looks a really good, fun session. Was it devised for you by Minni?

I could have played hockey but I'm so scared about getting injured. It's a bit of a shame because when I get fit like this I play well and it gets tempting but too much to lose with the 50th plan I have!

I reckon we could all run at York for the same time, although the way you are going you'll be ahead of us allimage. I'll be really happy if I'm in 3;30 shape going into the winter to be honest. I've never managed an autumn marathon so have always pretty much started again from scratch in the autumn. To have all those miles in there will be a real bonus. I don't think running much quicker than that will be likely to be honest. I will need to do a lot of cycling between may and August so not sure what running I'll get in.

I didn't expect it to fill up that quickly. I may just enter as well and assume I'll be there.

• Sarah- good speed session, sounds like you nailed it. Did it fee comfortable?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I reckon Sarah will be aiming for well below 3:30 in an Autumn marathon - especially if its going to be the last one for a couple of years (baby pending). image

Sarah - great session last night. How did it feel compared to the 4x 1m you did last week? I know you said you were tiring towards the end of them - did it feel harder doing two miles together, or not really? I often find that no matter what interval I'm doing (unless its very short) that I'm ready to stop at the end.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minni - I reckon you are right! The girl is going very well at the momentimage. I usually feel like that on all intervals as well - probably means we are doing them right!

sarah - forgot to say, thanks for the compliment yesterday. You don't look a day over 40 either!image. Anyhow, I don't think you should be having any babies until you have fulfilled your running potential. Get a puppy - in my experience they are more loving, pooh outside and cost far less. Then again, you can borrow my kids if you want - three teenage girls!!! You aren't having my dog though!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just heard that ebay are all sold out of babies. Sorry Sarah, unless you have Madonna's contacts you'll just have to do it the hard way image.

Still feeling rough here but despite that I have managed to summon enough energy to enter York - I'm officially in!

My brother-in-law has entered and is also aiming for sub 3:30. The gauntlet is officially down! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

In that case I will enter as well. Bring it on!

• Lol carter, maybe I should put the day in brackets!

DS2, I wrote my schedule but just wrote when I was going to run and how far I was going to run, Minni did the rest as I was quite clueless with regards to the speeds and type of sessions to do. Ive been reading P&D which has reminded me about VO2 max and lactate threshold etc which has just improved my understanding of what I am doing and why.

I think your doing the right thing about hockey, if anything was to happen you will be kicking yourself so much

DS2 wrote (see)

sarah - forgot to say, thanks for the compliment yesterday. You don't look a day over 40 either!image. Anyhow, I don't think you should be having any babies until you have fulfilled your running potential. Get a puppy - in my experience they are more loving, pooh outside and cost far less. Then again, you can borrow my kids if you want - three teenage girls!!! You aren't having my dog though!!!

image That may because im only 31....grrrrr, im sending that face mask and make-up back!image

I cant handle dog poo, I couldnt imagine having to pick it up so a dogs out of the question....now ive entered this york marathon...babies are at least postponed a little longer image, hopefully ebay will have restocked by then!!

Sorry to hear that your still not a 100% Malcs but im so glad to hear that youve entered York marathon aswell, would be nice if we could all run round together, i couldnt imagine doing it all on your own could be a bit lonely...although hopefully there will be some good support out on the course like there is for the other york races.

Hi Brolish, I felt fine all the way through it, but I was a little glad to be slowing down after the 2nd 2 mile...I dont think I could have gone on for much longer....although hopefully I will be able to a week on sun for the brass monkey!

Minni, youve got it spot on. I would say that both the 4x1 and 2x2 intervals felt similar, I felt fine throughout most but was glad at the end to slow down. In both a probably clocked watched for the last 0.1 mile. I think I enjoyed this weeks intervals more than last weeks though (but that may have had something to do with the alcohol I drank the night before last weeks)!

• Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 2, (day 11)  Rest day

And I have done completley that....have some reading and house work to catch up on!

Tomorrow - LSR - hopefully 16 miles!