Wokingham Half Marathon 2013

I'm doing the Wokingham Half next month, anybody else? Or has anybody done it before? Cant seem to find any event reviews for it. I'd be interested to hear your experiences of it.

Cheers!

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I've done it several times and will be there this year as well. It's not on this site at all, presumably because it sells out early so is popular enough for the organizers not to bother listing it. Fair enough, I suppose.

Course is pretty flat and not especially twisty and turny. Tarmac throughout. It's in February so the weather can be cold and miserable and the course is quite open so is open to the elements if they're against us.

Efficiently organized as a rule although there was a cock-up with the start and timing a couple of years ago. On the other hand, it was once cancelled because of some reason or other so they rescheduled for summer.

A good event.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'll be doing it. My first time for the event. Have run 4 marathons and a 50k but never a flat on road half. Am looking forward to having a good blast at it.
  • Cheers for the info Muttley, sounds good! The fact that you've done it several times must mean its a good one. Lets just hope the weather is kind then.

Hope you enjoy just as much then Millsy!

• I'm running wokingham for the first time this year, it sounds like a pretty decent event.
  • Like Sir Muttley, I've done this event several times.  I remember a couple of cancellations only due to snow, but each time they've re-arrange for the same year.

Well organised event, nice course, and a nice medal too image

• Looking forward to this event next month....

• I got my half PB there last year. Is a pretty flat course except for the motorway bridge on the way back.
  • aaaaaaaaaargghhhh....tried to enter and it's now closed. Had my eye on this one for a while as am a cyclist really but was looking for an early run event to do as have been doing a bit of running lately and am looking for a sub 90min time. I did it in 2008 and enjoyed it. If anyone has an entry they don't want please message me - can give you cash or give cash to charity (with receipt) in lieu if you prefer. Many thanks. 

• Sounds good people, really looking forward to it!  image

• I did it last year and am doing it again this year as a warm-up for the Fleet half marathon 5 weeks later.  It's relatively flat other than the aforementioned motorway bridges over the M4 and an A(M) road whose number escapes me.  It wasn't terribly well supported except at the start and finish and at the 6odd mile mark but is well organised and I liked the medal.

I had a sore knee for months after I ran it, and before Christmas I ran 8 miles of the route and had a sore knee again.  I wonder if the roads are particularly hard or it was just because it was very very cold on both occasions.  Anyway, wrap up warm and watch out if you have niggles.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tell them you can break 65 mins, that will get you in.

Ommiting the fact that you're only talking about the 9 mile mark.

🙂

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I am doing this and have done it twice before.  I think it's a great race.  I got a PB there last year (nice surprise) and would say its a PB course as long as the weather conditions are good.  Well organised.  There isn't much support on the course but I don't mind that.  The ipod will be on and the teeth will be clenched.  I will be trying to get another PB!

• I'm down for this but 50/50 on whether I'll make it as I am suffering from dreaded knee-knack. Shame as I'd earmarked this as a good flatty to break PB
  • Its a superb event- 2,500 strong +

it used to be a bottle neck start on a 1 mile loop , but now its off the the narrow path straight out pass the finish line and off

ive pushed Phil around it 9 ?? times, course best  of 1.48 - and worst last year of 2.35 ?? i think and getting over sickness and ready for 10th time there - one year we managed a 2.10 there,  it was the day after a 105 lap track marathon in 4:48

Miles 2-3.5 are undulating both ways

out side of that its good as flat, beautifully rural , with plenty of support as well

i think it'll be our 255 Hm together

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muttley gives a good summary.

I've done it the last 3 years, and it's certainly the closest fast course to me. Quality depth to the field from an international at the front, to good fast club runners downwards.

Like Muttley says there was a timing screw up about 3 years ago, where the chip and gun times didn't match on even the front runner's times. What they needed to do was reduce the gun times to match the chip. Instead, they added time onto the chip, making it even further wrong!

That aside its a quality race.

Having to change the date to the summer would be a disaster though, so let's hope for no snow and ice!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

i think it'll be our 255 Hm together

Needless to say, wow!!

• I'm organising a Surrey Hills circular 25 mile walk for charity in June and wondering whether should promote on Runners World - any idea if I would get some takers for this?  

• Good to see that Mick n Phil will be at this event again - welcome back lads.

• Ihad never heard of this, shame its full, i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for next year

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

Stevie - how are u

not bad old pal..hoping for good results at upcoming races to justify the effort!

are you keeping well, and healthy? and just as important still enjoying it?

• Number has arrived!  Getting close now..

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Got my number today.

Does anyone know if it is a free for all at the start or do they try and organise it in time order, as we had to fill in a predicted time on the entry form.
  • There are boards adjacent to the start line Millsy, that show predicted finishing times.  It's down to the runners to decide where to stand though, this isn't marshalled, but I've never had a problem with it.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the info. At least the signs will give people an idea of where they should stand.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this and hoping that the snow/ice is long gone by race day.  I managed a PB last year and I am hoping I can go better this year, but it will be close.  I had a great race last year.  No matter what happens, I know it will hurt!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I would be worried about the snow going for this one, if i wasn't doing a race the week before! My worries are with that one first

I recommend a bin liner for keeping warm in....you have to ditch your gear at the tent well before the race start due to queues, and those bin liners do quite well

• An excellent PB course. I've run Wokingham twice before - the only two times I've run under 1:30, and I ran my fastest ever 10 miles ever over this course in the process (the 10 mile mark is going over the bridge on the way back) - fond memories. I won't break the 1:30 time this time around - I'll be luck to break 1:40, but fingers crossed I'll be there!

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Looks like we are going to get wet on sunday image

• And cold. I did say the course is a bit exposed so bring that bin liner with you to avoid freezing at the start.