Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• Hey Steve. Your food diary is something I wished my diet could always be! I've tried to take most of it out of my diet. But you've given me new faith I don't have to! Bacon and sausage bap for breakfast tomorrow!

Good luck with the Parkrun on Saturday!

• Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Breakfast

None

Now the sh**'s really gonna hit the fan!  image

I don't know whether to pre-book an ambulance for Steve or Ruth or both image

Haha definitely for me - Ruth is going to kick my a$%e...!

• Malcs wrote (see)

LOL.

Let's just hand out the boxing gloves and get this thing on! 

Steve - Yes, I'm back. Not quite pounding the streets but I did give them a little tickle earlier.

It pains me to say this but your cheesy-creamy-chicken looks quite nice. 

Good to see you back, buddy!

It was pretty tasty but can def do better... my cookbook (title inspired by Tigs) "Confessions of a Bacon Fan" will be hitting the shelves in the Spring

;)

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Good to see a mixture of coloured fruit and veg in your diet today....surely that will score you a few points!

Thanks doc... Still might need you on stand-by once Ruth has finished with me...

• Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

if you fancy something quick..... mushrooms, onions, chicken stock, thyme, season, and a spoon of creme fraise added at the very end! add pasta and enjoy! 

Sounds good Tigs, will def give that a try - I do like a bit of creme fraiche! (surprise, surprise)

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Hey Steve. Your food diary is something I wished my diet could always be! I've tried to take most of it out of my diet. But you've given me new faith I don't have to! Bacon and sausage bap for breakfast tomorrow!

Good luck with the Parkrun on Saturday!

Haha! I'm in enough trouble myself - don't go making me feel guilty for taking you down with me!

;)

You too mate - I genuinely think I can at least get close to my PB... what is your target on Saturday?

• Food Diary - 9th Jan

Ok, let's get this over and done with... I was actually quite well behaved again today. I know what you're thinking, and I completely agree - there is absolutely no chance in hell that I am going to keep this up until the end of the month, let alone Paris. But for now, all is well...

Breakfast

Two slices of toast (wholemeal) with pineapple jam. One glass of water, then two cups of coffee during the morning at work.

Lunch

Mature cheddar, cucumber and coleslaw sandwich (wholemeal), bag of Doritos, handful of grapes to follow. 500ml bottle of water, then another that I sipped through the afternoon.

Dinner

Oven-roasted curried chicken thigh (garam masala, mixed spice, asafetida, ground ginger and a LOT of chili powder) on a bed of baby spinach with roasted sweet potato, mushroom and onion with some plum tomatoes thrown in at the end. Delish.

This was followed by a slice of pannetone (Italian sort of cross between bread and cake) - the last of the Christmas stock. Also, a large glass of orange squash.

They say the first bite is with eye. Et Voila:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAM1sQaCMAAwEhD.jpg:large

C'est magnifique.

Sorry, just getting in the mood for Paris... image

And that was it... I did forget to put down a mince pie after dinner yesterday - that was the last of them though!

Tomorrow I'm planning something with a wok, some bell peppers, some brocolli and... as usual, I'll probably make the rest up as I go along!

• Training - Week 4

Wednesday - 1 MILE EASY (9:10 - 10:15M/M) then 4x 1 MILE AT "FAST INTERVAL" PACE (7:55 - 8:10M/M) WITH 2.5MIN RECOVERY JOGS IN BETWEEN then 0.5 MILE EASY

After a bit of a grotty morning, it was an absolutely glorious afternoon in Essex today - blue skies and sunshine (I even got to rock my sunnies) and barely a cloud in the sky. Unfortunately that did mean that, as darkness fell, the temperature dropped like a stone. This evening's run was seriously chilly, with frost on every car as I headed out the door just after 8pm...

I had a bit of a dilemma as to how I was going to accurately record times and distances without getting very confused - if I had just used the Garmin, when I hit the lap button after a mile repeat, I would then switch to watching the time (instead of distance) for the recovery jog. When 2.5 mins expired, if I hit the lap button again to begin my mile repeat, almost certainly the time would be on some arbitrary amount of seconds, and the distance would be some arbitrary fraction of a mile, making it hard to remember exactly when each subsequent mile and recovery jog was supposed to start and finish. This would get more and more confusing as the session continued... With me so far?

So, the only solution I could come up with was to run the mile repeat using the Garmin to measure it (and the pace I was running) then stop it at the end of the mile and switch to using the stopwatch on my phone to measure the 2.5 min recovery jog. During the jog, I reset the Garmin to zero and started that again when I was due to start my next mile interval.

It was only a little bit fiddly and it worked pretty well overall - I'm sure there is probably a much, much, much simpler way of doing things but, to be honest, I just wanted to get out the door and run and I couldn't come up with any better ideas at the time!

The only downside, and it is a very minor one, was that I don't now have a record of the pace of the recovery jogs, as the Garmin wasn't recording whilst I was running them. I was keeping an eye on my pace whilst doing them though and I think the fastest recovery jog was around 9:45m/m and the slowest around 10:15m/m.

Anyway, on to the run itself...

It took a while to warm up as it was so cold and so I really extended it until I felt my blood was really pumping and I was fully "up to temperature", as it were.

The first easy mile was fine, although there was a lot of mist hanging around - the cold, damp air was not particularly pleasant and was a little sore on my lungs. I got through the mile in 8mins 49secs.

I then had to do four 1 mile repeats with recovery jogs in between - I had previously been scheduled to do three repeats but Sam has tweaked the plan slightly and upped the intensity a little - as it turned out, I was pleased she did and I felt like the session was a good one for me.

I got through the first mile in 7mins 42secs and felt really good at that pace - I think I was just pleased to warm up a little more to be honest!

The second mile, after the recovery jog came out at 7mins 49secs after a particularly unexpected and drawn out hill in the middle of it.

The third mile was a steady 7mins 48secs, and I realised towards the end of this mile that I was still feeling very fresh with only one more repeat to go and felt like I was definitely able to push it a little more.

So I pushed the boat out a bit on mile four. I happened to be running along a very long, straight, wide stretch of pavement for the last half a mile or so, so I decided to stretch my legs a bit and was feeling very strong still. I also had Saturday's parkrun in the back of my mind so it felt good to up the pace a little.

I did the final mile in 7mins 16secs.

I was surprised at how easily, relatively speaking, I was breathing at that pace compared to before I started this training programme and, although I was pushing myself (if you add up the distances, this was basically the end of a 10k run after all!), it didn't feel anywhere near as hard as I would have expected.

Anyway, flushed with success, I did the last easy pace section of the session. I actually ran 0.85miles instead of the prescribed half mile, purely because it was so cold and I didn't fancy the longer walk home after I'd stopped running! I did the 0.85 miles in 7mins 30secs, which works out a pace of  8mins 52secs m/m.

Total distance for the run - 6.85 miles

All in all, it felt like a really good session and I was very pleased with myself. I was even more pleased to get under a really hot shower when I got home!

I'm feeling very positive in myself and, so far at least, everything seems to have gone to plan with the training... There will, of course, be some setbacks on the way but I figure that, after having a good start to the training, with nearly a month gone, I'm in the best place I can be to deal with them.

Let's see what the next month brings... As the French would say, Qui ne risque rien n'a rien.

• Wow! Steve, you are flying mate. Any chance that you're secretly aiming for a 3.30 marathon??

• Good session, steve! Now let me introduce you to the intervals function on your garmin image it's under training and it enables you to set the reps by distance or time, and the recoveries. It bleeps a countdown to each rep. Very useful.

Regarding your question, I haven't changed the time goal yet - will reassess for next week.
  • Fresh ginger is a must when working with a wok! also have a fab receipe for Sagg Aloo yumm yumm

• image imageimage  Ruth expressions

imageimageimageSteve

No "softening the eventual hammer blow" Steve, I have read it all! Only joking I have seen much worst but the motivation for you should be for  this journey to Paris to be the best it can  be and nutrition really needs to be part of that (and you will hopefully carry on some changes post Paris!).

So I am going to set you down 3  challenges BUT will you be man enough to take on the challenge!   image                     

1. Breakfast must contain a starchy carb food with some value in it (i.e. no white bread!) so perhaps weetabix as you like these, porridge or wholegrain bagel/toast etc with some protein which could be milk in the cereal or if having toast a glass of milk or low fat yoghurt (natural or fruit) and finally you must have some colour for a antioxidant boost at breakfast (a piece of fruit or handful of berries, dried fruit, glass of fruit juice or both etc). So for example: wholemeal bagel with honey or banana or both on it plus a yoghurt (if natural add a few berries to it or other fruit if wish). If having cereal top with banana or dried fruit or have glass of fruit/breakfast juice with it. Simple it may seem but done daily you would boost the vitamin and mineral profile of your diet. So in summary: good carb source, some protein (milk or even a few nuts) and some colour!
    2. Eat regularly, try eating about every 3 hours during the day  (not more than 4 hours on a bad day)even if a light snack such as banana & yoghurt
    3. And the biggest challenge no takeaways unless a rare occurrence (no more than 1-2 between now and Paris) and 5 nights a week a homemade meal from scratch. 

If can take on this challenge then I think we will have a great base to work off and the rest will be easy! I have a number 4 but saving it as it may be the final (hard) piece in the puzzle for you.Ruth

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    And the biggest challenge no takeaways unless a rare occurrence (no more than 1-2 between now and Paris)

Crikey I knew it was going to be brutal but have a heart image

• Hey Ruth loving the rules!! any advice for someone looking to lose weight and train for a (nearly) marathon??

• as for the takeaways make them at home from scratch!  nothing nicer than a homemade curry!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Steve, I think you can come out from behind that sofa!  I'm sure you are up to Ruths challenge. image

•  
    1. And the biggest challenge no takeaways unless a rare occurrence (no more than 1-2 between now and Paris) and 5 nights a week a homemade meal from scratch. 

lol, good luck,

Your meal yesterday looked nice,  image

• Oh-oh - we've lost him! I blame Ruth saying he can only have two takeaways between now and Paris. Steve, come back and talk to usimage

• Haha sorry, been a mega-busy couple of days! Will give a full update on training tomorrow image

Ruth, I'm definitely up for the challenge... Intrigued as to what number four is though...

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Morning Steve image

I did my first Parkrun this morning. I loved it! Happy weekend running!

• PAUL FORDE wrote (see)

Wow! Steve, you are flying mate. Any chance that you're secretly aiming for a 3.30 marathon??

Thanks Paul - can't believe how well I'm running! It's amazing what just sticking to a plan can do...

Haha that would be amazing but I'm nowhere near being able to even think about 3:30! Sam is going to be putting my next four weeks training on here either today or tomorrow - we'll have to see what she has done with my pacings!

• Dudemeister wrote (see)
    Those are amazing times! Wow.

Thanks Dudemeister - just seems to get better and better with every run!

Had great fun at the parkrun this morning and managed to go really quick again image

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)
    Good session, steve! Now let me introduce you to the intervals function on your garmin image it's under training and it enables you to set the reps by distance or time, and the recoveries. It bleeps a countdown to each rep. Very useful.
    Regarding your question, I haven't changed the time goal yet - will reassess for next week.

Lol I knew there'd be an easy, simple solution! Thanks for the heads-up Sam, will have to give that a go next time!

No worries - we'll have to take my time from my parkrun this morning too...image

• Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

Fresh ginger is a must when working with a wok! also have a fab receipe for Sagg Aloo yumm yumm

Saag Aloo is well nice - I am a bit of a curry-aholic! (home-made until after April, of course, Ruth)

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

image imageimage  Ruth expressions

imageimageimageSteve

No "softening the eventual hammer blow" Steve, I have read it all! Only joking I have seen much worst but the motivation for you should be for  this journey to Paris to be the best it can  be and nutrition really needs to be part of that (and you will hopefully carry on some changes post Paris!).

So I am going to set you down 3  challenges BUT will you be man enough to take on the challenge!   image                     

1. Breakfast must contain a starchy carb food with some value in it (i.e. no white bread!) so perhaps weetabix as you like these, porridge or wholegrain bagel/toast etc with some protein which could be milk in the cereal or if having toast a glass of milk or low fat yoghurt (natural or fruit) and finally you must have some colour for a antioxidant boost at breakfast (a piece of fruit or handful of berries, dried fruit, glass of fruit juice or both etc). So for example: wholemeal bagel with honey or banana or both on it plus a yoghurt (if natural add a few berries to it or other fruit if wish). If having cereal top with banana or dried fruit or have glass of fruit/breakfast juice with it. Simple it may seem but done daily you would boost the vitamin and mineral profile of your diet. So in summary: good carb source, some protein (milk or even a few nuts) and some colour!
    2. Eat regularly, try eating about every 3 hours during the day  (not more than 4 hours on a bad day)even if a light snack such as banana & yoghurt
    3. And the biggest challenge no takeaways unless a rare occurrence (no more than 1-2 between now and Paris) and 5 nights a week a homemade meal from scratch. 

If can take on this challenge then I think we will have a great base to work off and the rest will be easy! I have a number 4 but saving it as it may be the final (hard) piece in the puzzle for you.Ruth

HI Ruth!

Phew - I thought that was going to be a lot more painful than that! I am very, very motivated to make the most of this experience - I have been running faster and faster and I'm sure the improvement in what I have been eating over the last week or so has definitely helped - if I'm not fueled properly for a long run, I'm definitely going to struggle!

As I said above, I'm definitely up for the three challenges... I do wonder what the fourth is. If it involves beer (or lack thereof) then I'm afraid I shall put my fingers in my ears and hum very loudly until you go awayimage

• jenf wrote (see)

Morning Steve image

I did my first Parkrun this morning. I loved it! Happy weekend running!

Hi Jen, well done on your first parkrun! This morning was my first too - what a great way to spend a Saturday morning... I can't believe I never knew about them before! How did you get on?

• Training - Week 4

Friday - 5 MILES COMFORTABLE (9:10 - 10:15M/M)

So last night's run was a simple 5 mile comfortable run. I did it in the evening after work, as I tend to do, and headed out the door about half 6.

I did the usual warm up and started running but the pacings on my Garmin seemed well off - I let it be for a bit to see if it would settle but the distance seemed to be flying up and, despite the fact I was only running comfortably and taking it easy, it was telling me that I was running 4 minute miles! I wish!!

The watch beeped for a mile having passed when I doubt I had even run half a mile so at that point, as it hadn't settled down, I stopped and turned off the timer and then went through all the options on the menu to see if there was anything obviously wrong. There wasn't - it just seemed to be going a bit haywire - even when I was walking along trying to sort it out, it was logging a brisk walk as being about six and a half minute-miling!

I tried starting again from scratch but no luck so, in the end, I gave it up as a bad job and just decided to estimate a comfortable place and, as I have been running my comfortable runs at around 9 minutes a mile, run for 45 minutes.

I did that, and it all went well and felt fine - I think I did probably go a bit too fast at times but, overall, I think I kept it fairly sensible. It was actually a little strange not having the Garmin to rely on after using it for every run for the past four weeks! In that respect, it probably did me a favour...

Still, I used the Garmin again this morning and it seemed totally fine and agreed almost to the metre with the distances marked out at the parkrun so it does just seem like it was having a bit of a bad day... and we all have those from time to time  image

• Training - Week 5

Saturday - PARKRUN - RACE DAY!

Today was parkrun day - anyone reading this thread will have probably twigged by now that I was looking forward to this somewhat!! I have been feeling really good and felt like I was in shape to do a good time...

This was actually my first ever parkrun - I was never even aware of their existence before coming onto this forum. The most local parkrun to me, about 20-25 mins drive in the car, is a fairly new one and this week was only the 15th event held there.

As a bit of background, my 5k PB of 22:22 was set probably three or four years ago and was run on a track. I have recently run 23:07 and even more recently 23:03 but I don't think I have been under 23 minutes for a good year or even eighteen months. So today was my chance to dip back into the 22s and maybe get close to that PB... hopefully!

Sam gave me some advice and a few acceleration strides to do on my warm up, to make sure I was ready to go straight away and that my legs were up to speed straight away.

Unfortunately, as this was the first time I had ever run the event, I was a little worried about missing hearing what I needed to do, especially after we were told that there would be a pre-race briefing. I hung around waiting for this at the expense of doing a proper warm-up and wasted probably ten minutes that I could have spent much more efficiently!

It was also, it must be said, bloomin' freezing! There is snow forecast this weekend around my neck of the woods and it certainly felt cold enough for that this morning... Coupled with that, the parkrun is literally as close to the coast as it is possible to be and part of the course is along the path that runs next to the sea wall, meaning there was a strong, really biting wind blowing in from the sea... The course consisted of three laps so we had to negotiate this wind-tunnel three times!

The course was actually pretty well laid out, pacing-wise - each lap was almost bang on one mile and then there was a little extra bit on the last lap to make up the extra few yards.

Anyway, despite the almost total lack of warm up, we got going and I actually felt surprsingly good. I had been advised by other runners that have done lots of parkruns to go out fairly quickly to avoid bottle-necking and getting stuck behind people going a lot slower than your goal pace so I went out pretty quick and did some neat side-steps and a bit of emergency dodging to sneak my way through the inital scrum at the start. According to the Garmin, I was running at around 6mins 30secs per mile for the first few hundred metres.

As soon as we'd strung out a little, I quickly got into a nice pace and ignored anyone steaming off in front of me - I've always been very careful of going off too fast too soon and try to avoid latching on to the back of someone and following them... I figure it's much better just to run my own race and not worry about what anyone else is doing! Having said that, there weren't that many people flying off into the distance so I was quite pleased!

I had been really in two minds as to how to approach the pacing - I wanted to run close to, or beat, my PB but I was worried aobut going out too quick and crashing and burning. I settled last night on running at 7m 30s per mile, which would equate to around 22m 40s, and then see what I had left in the last half mile or so to save a few seconds...

But this morning I woke up and thought "what the hell" and decided instead to go and run it at 7m 20s and see if I could hang on at the end!

I felt surprisingly good running at this pace for the first lap and kept speeding up from it! I knew this was only the first mile so I deliberately tried to be at least a little sensible and finished the first mile in 7m 14s...