On The Wagon For January

Comments

• Just to let you all know the first day of February is a FRIDAY, 

If it were in the week it would be fine but i think some people are going to have a blowout having been good for a month.

• Not me, I'm committed to the wagon until at least April 21st which is the date of my next marathon!

I will be tempted then to drink but may well carry it on because I've made other commitments for later on in the summer. I know for a fact that alcohol affects my performance which is slow/plodding enough without!

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    I hope to be off to last week in March. Off to the pub tonight will drive so saving on taxis and booze, although soft drinks can be ludicrously expensive too.
  • In hotel on expenses... Drinking water and fruit teas
  • Maddy. wrote (see)

Evening

Gareth the 16000 calories was the quote for a month 4 bottles of wine a week is 4000 calories so neeerrrrr neerrr ner nerrrrrrrrrr imageimage

Feeling good today

well done everyone nearly a third of the way through already image

Madeline. l know that. But YOU said it was 2 days worth of calories. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.............l know you are you said you are but what am l?image

Im finding this relatively easy at the minute. i've put my name down for working Saturday as well so l wont be tempted to go out Friday now. It's kind of double wammy really. Im not going to be spending money on the Friday, then im going to be earning it on the Saturday.

The trouble is that there's 2 cracking games of footy on on Sunday and that will put a lot of temptation in my way.

Getting a really good feeling from this now though and it's really nice to be able to keep coming on here and checking this thread to see we're all still doing fine.

Hope everyone else is getting on just fine.

• Yep! Still, being on antibiotics for a throat infection does help.

• Early night in hotel. Avoided bar after meal and feeling great for it.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Evenin friends! Another day! Happily ended up watching the Chelsea match tonight with several pints of water. Another clear head prepared for the morning.

Well done on the continued effort all, everyone's doing so well!
  • Evening all,

I think I might be tempted into a glass of wine on the 1st of February.

Everyone's doing really well, I'm impressed with DeliH and Running Kev in hotels with expenses and still sticking with the program.
  • I have to last until 2nd Feb as I have my first ultra marathon on Sat 2nd - the Thames Trot.  I suspect there will be a cold bottle of vino waiting for me at home.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    And how you will deserve it Liz!
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Everyone is doing so well. Esp Kev and DeliH - not easy being sat in a hotel, especially on expenses. Pub last night for me and one coke, one Becks Blue. Think I am over the mental hurdle and accepted there is no booze so am definitely not thinking about it so much, what about everyone else?
    You will deserve it Liz, just hope the Thames Path will be as dry as your January!

• Day 10

Esp Kev and DeliH, I was in the same boat Monday and Tuesday, its not easy when everyone around you is having lager and wine. I managed to get away with drinking fake lager, worked great until everyone started getting drunk image. Do I really get that loud when I'm pissed ?? image

I've just been invited to a Burns night, 25th Jan, I will need to come up with a cunning plan image

• well done everyone who's not fallen off the wagon. as i just mentioned on another thread I would happily give up the booze for periods throughout the year, but I find the social pressure to have a drink quite strong, possibly my friends are bigger drinkers than I thought. at least at this time of year the most i'll get when i tell people i'm on the wagon for january is a shrug.

Not boozing is an odd feeling though, feeling like you have to make excuses, as well as being less inclined to go out / stay out in a pub when you're not feeling it. I'm convinced that the reason friends seem so affronted by non drinkers is that they see it as a criticism of them that they ARE drinking. Better that you just join in and play ball than highlight a behaviour that hitherto passed unnoticed because everyone was doing it. It perhaps suggests a degreee of guilt associated with the drinking. Perhaps.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Interesting thoughts.... There is certainly a degree of explaining and justification involved with NOT drinking nowadays. Is that just what society in this country has become?

Hmmm il ponder that over a cup of tea.

Nights tonight ans tomorrow, one of the easiest ways of no alcohol. Albeit its doesn't really seem like much of an effort at the minute.
  • Sat in my hotel room drinking Rooibos vanilla tea (very nice actually) and pondering my runs this weekend as forgot my trainers and haven't run all week.....

Still can't feel the weight falling off but not to worry, at least the head is clear image

• I fell off the wagon last night. I had two sneaky pints but only because beer's cheaper than soft drinks in my local (honest)

• Evening

The Odd wobble happens to everyone sometimes

I will be doing hotels at the end of the month - its very boring in a hotel on your own so I am trying to find some close to town centres and so - bit of a walk to get food, take a book with me while I eat - stretch it out and a slow walk back

Hopefully that will do the trick.  I have never had to do the hotel thing before while on the wagon

• Maddy - try going to the cinema while you are away.

What a difference not drinking made last night. Usually when staying away with work colleagues we hog the bar 'til midnight! Then get through the next day and travel home in the evening. By the time I get home about 7pm I'm usually good for nothing. Tonight however, I got my planned run in at 8pm! Just had tea (pasta, tomato sauce, rocket and chorizo) and am feeling great.

• Day 11 All! Over a third of the way through. Tough second weekend coming up, you can do it guys!
  • Morning all. How is everyone? Day 11 and not struggling too much yet. Am out to lunch today with clients but it will be fizzy water for me. Gym tonight on way home so only tomorrow to worry about really. Am bizarrely not losing weight but gaining it! Still, small price to pay. Keep it up guys and girls.
  • Happy Friday people!

I've lost 4lb this week image

Probably a combination of end of festive treats, no drinking and 3 gruelling runs. I know it can't continue to drop at this rate but woo hoo!, It's just the motivation i needed to get me through the weekend without a glass.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Well done with the poundage there k80! I feel like crap this morning, funnily enough as if I had been up all night in the lash! Woke UK late, misses doctors appt, now have to rush into town to get the car serviced.

Well done everyone, and positive thoughts to all those who will find tonight challenging!
  • Never mind the car Mr F - what about your service? Get a doctor's appointment.

• I have a bottle of Becks Blue No Alcohol for my Friday night treat!!!.  This is day 11 for me too and I'm running 6 times per week with my TT50 training yet there has been NO CHANGE on the scales.  I'm hoping that next week I should notice a difference with my weight as it takes a couple of weeks for things to 'catch up'.

I did a 3 mile run yesterday morning and went training with our club last night and must say I felt incredibly strong considering I've had a heavy training week.  I think I am now noticing an improvement in how I feel when running and how I perform.  Can only be for the better ....

• Afternoon

Good going folks.  I am off to my first social of theyear tonight I am a bit nervous as its Spice thing and I have only met a coupl eof them beofre and I am not normally good in big groups - still nothing ventured and all that

• I've stopped alcohol and also hot drinks for January just to make it a bit harder for myself! Have managed to stop alcohol for 6 weeks a couple of times before so thought I would try something new.

Like a couple of comments above its hard enough stopping the habit in the house on your own but when you go out the social pressure to have a drink is very strong.

So I haven't been out!

I'm actually finding that the habit of having a cup of tea or coffee after doing things like walking the dog is incredibly hard to break - I find myself wandering aimlessly round the house looking for something to do (then i see my foam roller in the corner winking at me and I'm sorted for the next 10 mins!).

Well done to everyone and keep up the good work.

Cheers, Skinny [Actually maybe Cheers is wrong word to sign off with??]

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Thanks k80.... Thankfully doc managed to squeeze me in this afternoon for a quick oil change and once over! Have a lovely evening all whatever your up to.
  • Evening all. Congrats on the weight loss K80, gives you that extra bit of determination to carry on all being well. Hope you have a great night out maddy and manage to steer clear of the drinking in what must be a difficult situation.

Working in the morning so a night in for me with the greyhound racing. Didn't even remotely feel like a drink when l left work tonight though so that's a big personal hurdle for me.

Hope we all have a super, smashing, great. weekend

Love Jim Holdness and Bully xx.

• evening all

well done on the weight loss

Friday - a huge hurdle day for most of us I would think. In work for me, it's a mare of a day, I won't bore you with details, but I hit the ground running and don't come up for air as a general rule. I got in early today - before I knew it, it was 4PM and my mind started wandering to the lovely red wine I should be having with my evening meal image. I didn't escape from work until nearly 6PM and needed to go to the supermarket on the way home. Oh the temptation - luckily I have a strong stubborn streak so avoided the booze aisle (Tesco are a bit cheeky though and tend to scatter bottles of booze through the store). I decided that a treat with chocolate would be the best option, so I have a nice box of Lindt chocs to have later image

I've also discovered chocolate infused philidelphia cheese - heavenly, really heavenly. The indulgence will slow the weight loss, but who cares, first working Friday of the year conquered image