Hullo

Hi guys,

33 yo Male in Surrey here.

Just started running earlier this week.

I tried starting about a year and a half ago after quitting smoking for a few months but found it very difficult; was making less than  200m before I was out of breath. Also found it hard on my legs, my calves felt like they were burning and my shins and ankles got very painful. Unfortunately I didn't keep up with it then.

Since then I've lost 2.2 stone, mainly through cutting out a lot of junk food but unfortunately at the sametime started smoking again.

My first run earlier this week was a bit of a surprise as I managed a to run non-stop for 15 mins, though it was a less than blistering speed and I only managed about a 12min mile.

2nd run this morning was similar though I actually ended up running non-stop for less time. I think I might have pushed a little too hard initially.

I'm guessing endurance will come as I carry on running, but was wondering will my pace improve at all or do I have ot specifically train for that?

Comments

• Pace will improve with more miles up to a point, and you're nowhere near that point yet. Just go out and enjoy easy runs!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

perhaps the scissors are slowing you down?

• Bloke: Thanks for the info.

Skotty: Doesn't slow me down per se, just makes the person I'm chasing run faster, so it's all relative.

• RWS,

you might want to have a browse through some of the training plans in the training section of the website (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/) most beginners schedules start with a mix of walking and running.  I certainly couldn't manage 15 minutes when I first started (I was a little older than you but had just binned the smokes).  Good luck

• You'll hopefully be relieved to hear that it's common for new runners to report that they can't run more than X min/metres without stopping. Running is quite the humbling experience, never more so than when you're starting out. But stick at it and a number of things will happen, including getting faster and being able to run for longer without stopping.

What you and I call running bears very little similarity to what Mo Farah or Usain Bolt got up to last summer, so clear your mind of expectations of what a runner looks like. I reckon the vast majority of new runners go out too fast. Slow it down, expect to be passed on the pavement by other runners, and be patient for the changes mentioned above to happen. Patience and perseverance will ensure that you improve.

Above all else, enjoy it. Whatever it is about running that you like, be it the feeling after a hard session, being in the outdoors, the eventual toning of body, or belonging to a broad community, remind yourself of that, and make the most of it.