Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Yeah it was nearer ??150 flying from glasgow for me, not even close to ??88 ., but that's the flights booked , accomadation sorted , now just need to get fit enough to enjoy it
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Awh, emmy. hubby not keen on a romantic weekend away? image

I started off by saying: would you like to have a romantic weekend away in Normandy, surrounded by the beach and beautiful history? He replied: Which marathon have you signed up for now? image I think he knows me too well!

Tommy Mac 2 wrote (see)

Hi all, new joiner here. 

Welcome to the madhouse Tommy image Pull up a chair and you'll fit right in!

ATM wrote (see)

And talking of Paris ( I know, I know...), it's freezing here!

Anyone struggling, motivation-wise, is very welcome to join us doing Jantastic  Our team is ' The Bench' as in injury bench so there's no pressure...I think you can join until this weekend.

I'll add: Frankfurt too.. I've been out tonight (as a motivation from Jantastic and not wanting to be last image and it's cold enough to freeze bits off! I'm not looking forward to Geneva next week.... brrrr.

Have a great time in paris, ATM image

Talking of the Bench - I think I've scared some of them a little bitimage

kaz1 wrote (see)

Good news today!! I have got an interview on Tuesday for the job I applied for just before Christmasimageimageimage I know, I know, I haven't got the job yet but its one step closer than I was before........

I got my stitches out today too. All healing well, and I was told that I would be off work for a few weeks yet although I have to go get another sick line next week. I wonder how, if I am lucky enough to get it, working your notice when signed off sick works?!?!image

That's great news!! image Well done Kaz! image

*waves to everyone else*

I'm currently in a freezing cold hotel room in Frankfurt and desperately trying to warm up after my run.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Great news about the interview. Plus winter must be creeping up your way it was cold and foggy for my 6 miles tonight.

James - £88 is a bargain. I'm sleazy jetting it from Glasgow, can't remember exactly but it was about £120 for me.

• Kaz imageimage. Things are looking up.

/members/images/13234/Gallery/things-looking-up_1.jpg

Emmy - guten Abend! You international jetsetter you. Funny how business travel never seems to require urgent trips to the Bahamas in January, does it? At least not in the business I'm in. 

I was queuing in Boots today beside the 'diet supplements' and noticed they were selling boxes of pills that claimed to 'boost your metabolism' and 'aid weight loss'. On looking at the ingredients they seemed to be almost entirely a) chalk and b) chilli powder. And they were selling for £25 a box image. You'd be better off taking a brisk walk to Tesco's and buying a little bottle of tabasco!

• Emmy - I hope you warm up soon.

RR -lol re the 'diet supplements'.

BF and I just in from walking the dog, its bloody freezing out there. Council obviously expecting bad weather - they seem to have loads o salt on the roadsimage Same walk as Monday night, and tonight things only started to hurt a quarter of a mile from home. What a difference in 3 days!image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    A little warm up run in Disney this afternoon. Forecasts for the weekend are very warm - start the races at 62 F (17 or so C) and quickly climbing to around 80 (23-24). Humid too. All in the fun.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Both years I ran Disney it was very hot and humid. I was sweating standing on the start line in the dark. The lad from Tampa next to me was cold and shivering. I guess there's an ever so slight difference between Scottish warm and Tampa warm!

• Dannirr - good luck for Disney. What a weekend ahead of you!

• Happy New Year!  A bit late but I'm here, on the start line, well I was a few weeks ago.  Flights/accommodation booked, grumpy doctor signed on the dotted line, I'm good to go.  I have been lurking for a while but thought I would make an appearance to say:

Kaz ... Good luck girlfriend, you deserve a break, not a medical one you understand image

ATM, your a star, I will sign up immediately as the one thing I need is my body weight in Motivation, and RR: maybe some chili sauce image

I can't believe I have signed up again! But its great to see the regulars are still here and some new friendly faces .... roll on April image

• Great News Audrey...imageimage

Are we still presenting medical certificates at the expo?? I can't get logged in ASO  to find out??

• Audrey, hello!

I'm so glad you're back.

Good luck Dannirr!

Still too hot to run here (I know, I know it's starting to sound like an excuse - it is 37 degrees). If I can rouse myself tomorrow I'll try and get out early.

I'm starting a new 'bootcamp' diet/regime next week. I HAVE to lose a couple of kg that I have put on from stupid medication.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Aye, it looks like you need to present the certificate at the expo this year, which reminds me I better get my medical certificate signed off.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Great news about the interview,kaz. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 

Good point, about the Certificte, Eggy. 

And welcome back, Audrey! I'm with you on the diet thing....just not this week...image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Wow! this has to be the fastest moving thread on RW! Let's hope that pace translate to running speed on the Paris tarmac.

I've been lurking here on occasion, top thread!
    Thought I'd post an update as I guess many of us are now in LSR territory?
    20 miles for me at 7.00am tomorrow morning image followed by a 2 hour football trainig session I have to run for the youth team I manage!

Did an 18 miler last weekend which was at 7.33 per mile pace. Far too quick really but I felt good and just ran on feel. Will definitely be goping slower tomorrow but it shows that my speedwork sessions are really working. Mind you, it was a speed session on the previous Friday night that forced me to bin the last 2 miles of a 16 miler the following monring. Legs just gave up. Only 13 hours recovery from a tough intervals session was not a good idea. Oh well, lesson learned.

Good luck with the LSRs this weekend, gang!

SB

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sporty Badger - Sounds like you are in great form.

I have a 18 mile LSR planned for tomorrow morning. I felt hellish on last weeks 16, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a better one tomorrow.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

18 miles for me tomorrow morning too....just been brutalised by the osteopath  image

• I'm alive...   always a positive sign I think...  image

I will try to run soon...  its been a long time................

• Sporty Badger wrote (see)

Did an 18 miler last weekend which was at 7.33 per mile pace.

That is impressive!!! The 12-week marathon programme starts this weekend so if things go wellfor you over the net 2 months, you will be flying in Paris. Well done.

• Happy friday All. Just made a purchase at Sweatshop for running gels and a pair of running shorts- got a good discount through these guys ..... http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/10-off-sweatshop-with-voucher-from-telegraph-weekend-1433272

I have had them deliver to a store nearby so i don't pay the delivery charge either.  worth a punt if you are planning a purchase soon.

No running for me this weekend. having a good rest and enjoying it.

Good Luck to Dannirr with the Goofy this w/e. Please post a picture at the finish mate! image

Made an appt at Docs to get him to do the Medical Exam/Certificate for later this month

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TJB - Yours is actually doing an exam! Last year I just dropped the form off and picked it up the next day. I did get charged for it right enough.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Mon Dieu,Sporty Badger! I hope you're coming to the pub because most of us are not even going to see your heels on the course... 

DV,ever the optimist..image But I agree, a pulse is a solid foundation for sporting success. And perspective is everything.. *Considering my first mara' took me nearly 52 years, everything since has been, relatively, impressive....image

Last night of speed (?) sight-seeing round the city before I'm back to running in the countryside.

DLR, where/how are you? I'm stalking you, unsuccessfully, on jantastic...

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi Sporty Badger, cracking effort!

Good luck Dannirr.

Have a good weekend all. I have decided to run 'Oh my Obelisk' on Sunday so think I will be hurting on Monday!

• I'll be running this evening...  heading out sometime after 6..   tracker will be on for those that like to stalk me...  see if you can guess where I'm heading...  image

• Great pace running sporty badger , u will be flying round Paris , I intend to go a fair bit slower and at least see the sites of gay paree !

I'm just back from my LSR ( I don't like morning running ) a nice easy 11 miler at 9:15 pace , I always find it tough to go slow enough to classify my run as a LSR , most of my runs so far are nearer 8:30 pace which is quicker than my marathon goal pace
  • Eggy: I booked the appt with the doctor. Last time i had a medical (May2012) i weighed in at 96.7kg and the nurse told me to sort myself out and change my lifestyle a bit, lay off the giant buttons and the 6 or 7 digestives dipped in tea every night. If he sees me he's more likely to sign the certificate! I'm weigning 75.7kg these days!

btw i am now a part of the team "The Bench" on jantastic - i hope i don't let you all down with my rubbishness.  i signed up today so i now know that Weedy and i share the same first name.

• Evening all. I'm now certified to run or tri on French soil at any point over the next twelve months. Whilst examining me the doc commented 'gosh, you're very bendy', apparently on the basis that I could touch my toes. So all those years of Pilates haven't gone to waste image .

Last weekend of my hand knitted plan before I launch into P&D on Monday. I'm hoping to fit in a trail run on Sunday as a little treat, although the weather forecast isn't great.

Some people on here doing impressive long runs at the moment. I'm still only around the 13 mile mark. But I shall trust in P&D.
  • Damn... run aborted at about 13 miles. Couldn't see a thing. Dark and thickening fog that my torch was struggling with. On balance of safety I decided to abort and get the train home...

Will try again in daylight...
  • RR - you can touch your toes? I'm so unsupple I can barely touch my knees. I really should try yoga or something.

DV - ONLY 13 miles? Tut, tut.

15 miles planned for tomorrow. And the forecast is for snow. Remind me, why do we do this?
  • yeh..  only 13..  it was supposed to be 78...   home now...  nevermind, will try again another day...   

Supple..?   I don't think I was ever able to touch my toes..  when I was a child at school and we had to sit on the floor I couldn't even cross my legs...