Options

2013 IM Mentoring

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    You know you want too .....
  • Options

Can I skip the whole mentoring thing, and just hire a surrogate Ironbod to do the race for me and I'll keep up my non-training?

• Options
    Gladys M. wrote (see)

Doner's doing the Deca.... and he doesn't event know it yet!! image

you know what, i took my time a bit replying to Monique, in all honesty i have only just really got in touch properly.Firstly, i had 2 ultras this week and was considering a mara as well for day 8 but, believe it or not, i bottled it. i just didnt know what my legs would be like after running over 100 miles in 6 days but funnily enough they are fine. 

Secondly, i sort of knew by what everyone saying, that Mon must be a bit of an idi.....  well lets just say, a special person too image

I bet she knows that im going to be doing the triple next year and the deca the year after or doing something equally as silly. Maybe i should just ask you guys what my next 3 years is going to involveimage

It has been an amazing trip getting from being a lazy git to an ultra running ironman but its now time to get focused and really train seriously, yea, i put the hours in last year but i didnt really train smartly, i half heartedly did my HR training and my intervals and sort of ate right sometimes and admittedly i got some OKish results, I think if I can get some focus by the way of someone breathing down my neck i may be able to improve significantly,  the last 3 or 4 weeks has seen a massive (ok, 4%) improvement in my running efficiency, thats before i did the ultras. i reckon a mentor has come along at the right time and i really would be an idiot to ignore the offer. looking forward to next seasons results image 

• Options

Purple, I'm sticking to short next year but thinking about 2014image

• Options

image Go on chilli you know you want to. image

• Options

Cake I know I want to, however I had a great time this year at AT but I've decided on the more local, sprint maybe Olympic distances for next year. The double can waitimage

• Options

Did all the montors get full? Or are there any available?

Chris

• Options
    SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Ditto what chris wrote :

Chris68 wrote (see)

Did all the montors get full? Or are there any available?

Chris

for my part, 46, now 75lbs above a sensible weight. was active a lifetime ago, but been running and swimming a fair bit since last summer.  not doing enough bike but spent the money once upon a time for a proper racer ( back when steel was the material of choice for frames and carbon was well  for drawing with )

entered outlaw half and full, going in as a virgin and eyeing a wetsuit to fit in april so I can swim outdoors.

goals ? 7/14hrs events with another 70lbs of lard missing in action.

constraints, wife, kids, work, training indoors ( wife not trusting of me outside around vehicles and stuff ).

problems : ive got too many books, too much tech and too much attitude.

oh, and im going even if I get hauled off in an ambulance. and the wieght loss is necessary for the pirate costume to fit rather unlike a stretchy thing stretched to thin

location is staffordshire, but job means from bristol to durham and crosby to corby

3hrs daily commute, 8hr day job, local pools and beginniing a habit of training at oh my god, is that a time ?

• Options

Chaps I'd just read through the thread and message whoever you like the sound off.

• Options
    Half distance for me too this year, full distance the year after. The mentor offer here seems genuinely generous. A big thanks to all those will to take part in it.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as iron donkey. Two HIMs this year...one being the pirate DIY one and the other being the brutal half in September. I'm based in cheshire, 33, started running about 18 months ago. First mara in October 2012 in 4,07. Used to be a decent swimmer but not done enough and I'm ok on the bike.

I would love a mentor for both the pirate DIY and the brutal half, as it stands the pirate DIY will be my first tri! Not sure who to approach direct so if anyone is still available and would like to help, come and say hello...cheers.
  • Options

Just read through all of the thread and I am none the wiser, from what I can see all of the mentors have gone?

Chris

• Options

Blue Peter / Chris68

More than happy to help either or both

Blue Peter you need to revist the DIY thread need to know which day you want.

• Options

Silent Assassin, PM on its way

Chris

• Options

SA cheers, will do. I will PM you some more details.

• Options

Fantastic

I have 2 mentees

You do know the rules that your not allowed to beat your mentor in races dont you?

• Options

I know that, I also realise that we must never beat out mentor to the bar image

• Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Fantastic

I have 2 mentees

You do know the rules that your not allowed to beat your mentor in races dont you?

Do they know about the beer and champagne rule SA?

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Fantastic

I have 2 mentees

Do they know about the beer and champagne rule SA?

I would like to know about this rule.image

• Options

I'd love the chance to run ideas passed those more experienced than me...since this is my first IM.  Am I too late?

Thanks

Phil

• Options
    Phil Smith 19 wrote (see)

I'd love the chance to run ideas passed those more experienced than me...since this is my first IM.  Am I too late?

Thanks

Phil

Phil, just pick someone ask them, the worse they can say is no, go back to the first page of this thread and I think theres a few offering there.