RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Spoons - the first 4 laps had a 1 minute easy jog in between and the last 4 had about 30 seconds walk and 30 seconds easy jog. Your target time for these was 6:40. I think I could probably knock out 6:30 as I started off tentatively because of the track conditions.

Take care out there tonight Carl
  • So you now think you can do quicker than I suggested and a week ago you said those paces were impossible. image We can all achieve far more than we first think. Every time my running hits a low I always look back on my first ever run when I ran the length of a football pitch, had to walk home and then think of all my achievements.

• Crikey Carter, some good running there (not that I'm worried mind!)

Carl- did you get out to run?

• Spoons - that's exactly what I said ! And, of course, you were absolutely right image Now, when do I start in those 20 x 1600 reps that Minni suggested ??

Thanks Rachel. It felt a lot more comfortable than I was expecting. Obviously it was hard but it's meant to be. I'm sure I will have some not so good days but this last 3 days has definitely given me a lift
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I am back and alive image

Very cold out there tonight and a little foggy at the running track. Scaled the fence again (I am getting good at this) and had the track and nearly the park to myself apart from the foxes who were looking at me as if I was some strange creature.

Track conditions were mixed. Windy down te finishing straight and a little slippy down the back straight.

Did about 8 laps as a warm up at 9:02 mm.

I did manage to do 12 400m laps somehow but thought I was dying on the last one.

Lap times as follows :

1. 1:31min; 2. 1:33min; 3. 1:31min

4. 1:28min; 5. 1:29min; 6. 1:31min

7. 1:27min; 8. 1:31min; 9. 1:29min

10. 1:32min; 11. 1:28min; 12. 1:26min

After lap 11 I thought I had only done 10 and was trying to work out how I would do 2 more laps but fortunately I got the brain in gear before I started what was my last lap.

I finished with about 5 laps at 9:35mm.

So lap speeds equate to 6:00mm - 6:12mm apart from one or 2 laps that went down to 5:40 and 5:48 mm.

I would have never thought I could run as fast as this for as many laps as I did.

Am really looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. Suspect I might need it. image

• Well done mate, seriously impressive times
  • Carl - no wonder you were dying on the last one - that was your quickest! Brilliant, well done. Were you quicker than the foxes?

400s are good and we now know the legs can turn over much quicker. We will need to do some longer reps as well. Don't just do 400s.

remember - the marathon is just 26 x mile reps with no recovery and 0.2 cool down at the end.

• Some seriously impressive track sessions there lads. Wish I had physio permission to participate in those! Yesterday I did an easy three miles. No run scheduled for today so am gonna hit the pool for a few lengths. Shouldn't be too busy on a Friday night. LSR is 9 miles tomorrow, looking forward to that.

Now, breakfast time... Poached eggs or beans on toast?! Hmm.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    I think the foxes were more interested in their trip to find their dinner amongst the rubbish bins of the nearby houses rather than the crazy person in lyrca pretending to be Usain Bolt. !!
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    CW - I use the one at Parliment Hill. One of the local athletic clubs use it under the lights on a Tursday and Thiursday evenings.

But lights ate for wimps.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

CW - porridge and honey with a slice of toast for me this morning. Yummy image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - 26 x 1 mile reps sounds straightforward enough image

Did 800 reps last week and 400 reps this week. Was planning om 800 reps next  week and 1200 reps the week after. Then back to 400 reps.

Does this seem ok ?

Not sure if I will manage to build up to the 26 x 1 mile reps before Paris. image

• Morning Spoons - thought I would give you a health status update ! The knee is absolutely fine now. I have been strapping it up when doing my speedwork so that has helped. The ankle is ok now too; I only feel it a little now. It does go a bit stiff after a session but soons eases when I move it around.

Today's question - as stated above, my knee is fine now. However, last night when I was foam rollering it was really painful when rolling on my ITB (both legs even though I only had pain in my right knee previously). Why would this be if my knee appears ok ? What should I be doing about this ?

Cheers

• Rest day for me today, from running anyway but I plan to go for a swim later. It will be the first time in many many years I have been to a swimming pool as I am not a water baby. Every little helps as they say.

Tomorrow is LSR day and I have plotted my rought out. It is 18 miles out in the peaks near Strines, Broomhead and Bolsterstone but all on side roads. I will also be experementing with my nutrition as I intend to have some toast and tea before I set up and then flapjacks and jelly babies on my run. I might take the Andrex along just in case image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - what time tomorrow are you planning to do your LSR ?

I am probably doing mine mid afternoon so need to think about fuelling up as I am going to go for 17/18 miles. Need to think about route and how many laps of the outer Regents Park I do
  • Carl - the 8, 4, 8, 12, 4 thing sounds fine!

Carter - if foam rollering on the ITB is tight and painful it's because the ITB is tight and needs loosening up. Do more foam rollering. Also google ITB stretches. They will help too.

Enjoy your swim - I swam 2.5km last night - first time in ages - it nearly killed me!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - I am not the greatest swimmer so hats off to you for the 2.5km. Not sure I could do close to that without taking a few breathers along the way. image

Anyone got snow yet ? Looking very grey here.

• Carl - I will head off somewhere between 7:00-8:00. I will have to take the mutt for a walk, have some breakfast and schedule in a bathroom break before I head off. The missus is at work at 6:00 as well so if I can get my LSR done and dusted Saturday morning then I tend to be in her good books. I've just google mapped around your neck of the woods and there is a bit of green stuff for you to run around apart from Regents Park - Brent Reservoir and Fryent Country Park; do you ever run up there ? Do you do any swimming ?

Spoons - I havent been in a swimming pool for years, probably 20 of them. I'm not a big fan of swimming and not very good at it but 16 lengths of a 25 meter pool has left me aching all over like I havent ached in years ! 

All this trying to make myself healthy is hurting !

• It's a lovely clear blue sky here but very cold. We are expecting plenty of the white stuff tomorrow and where I'm running is a prime location for it !

• Spoons - Just had a look at MacMillan calculator and this is what it says for a 3:45 marathon based on my 1:47 HM.

Long run - 8:39 - 9:57

Easy run - 8:35 - 9:35

2 questions.

1) What is the difference between a Long and an Easy run ?

2) It would appear that I am running my LSRs too slow, based on MacMillan. I've been knocking them out at 10:00ish. Depending on your thoughts about this I was going to run my LSR tomorrow at about 9:15 ? 

• Wow, hats of to you guys with your 18 milers already! I thought my planned 12 was good! I love to hear others; thoughts on nutrition- I'm sure Dave is trying to starve me!! image Did anyone watch that documentary with James Olympic rower guy doing the marathon de sables? He seemed very undernourished and hydrated by the end!!! (Not that I'm running in any kind of heat tomorrow!!) 

• Is it a compression hat you are donning Rachel ??

I've never eaten immediately before or during a race but the concensus seems to be that you will need refuelling at about mile 16. So I am starting tomorrow but don't know what to expect. I'm not sure about these gels and am hoping food and water does the trick for me. I didn't see that program so can't comment. As far as our long runs go I guess we are all at different stages but as long as we are ready come race day. One would normally add that it's a marathon not a sprint but that would be too cheesey !
  • Carter - I started swimming when my daughter joined a swim club. I was there watching so figured I might as well join the masters. It was the hardest thing I have ever done by far. Can't say I'm a natural or even enjoy it but it does make you fit. Fitter than running IMHO.

• Re: long run pace. The difference between a long slow run and an easy run is one is longer! As you haven't run a marathon before we don't really know what pace we are aiming for. This will become more apparent as we go on. You are already starting to look a bit quicker than first suggested and we're only 11 days in!

re: McMillan, it's a great tool we all use, but beware, I have only ever met 2 people that have managed to hit their McMillan predicted marathon time based on their shorter races. Most (like me) and considerably slower. The 2 I know are also considered rubbish at short distance / Speedwork compared to longer stuff. 

So - for your long slow run pace - the most important thing - especially as you are likely to be going off road up a mountain - is to not work too hard. Keep it at a conversation pace. You should be able to finish without slowing down or feeling rubbish. 

Don't panic. You're also doing Speedwork and tempo runs. Plus as we get nearer race day you'll be doing marathon pace stuff during your long run. 

• If in doubt, run on feel and don't look at the Garmin until you get home! image

• Thanks. I'm going to try and keep on the roads for most of my LSRs for now. I will have a bash tomorrow at running on feel. Ta
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

I've just google mapped around your neck of the woods and there is a bit of green stuff for you to run around apart from Regents Park - Brent Reservoir and Fryent Country Park; do you ever run up there ? Do you do any swimming ?

Carter - On my LSR I run around the perimter of Hampstead Heath amd then meander my way to the Ring Road around central London and then head back for Regents Park.  Brent Resevoir is adjacent the start of the MI, Brent Cross Shopping Centre and the North Circular. Very congested with traffic every day of the week and not the safest in the evenings. But thanks for looking. The other grren space in London is Hyde Park and now that the mileage is getting up close to 20 miles I will be looking at incorporating that into the run somehow.

I will go swimmimg if I have to run in the gym but as I cannot stand the treadmill and prefer outdoors even in snow / very cold conditions I tend to avoid it.

Running 5 times a week is about as much time I can devote to exercise at the moment. I have previously tried to incorporate a gym / swin session into my training plans but was never convinced of the benefit. To get real benefit you need to swim hard and then you are using a different set of muscles that get tired and then you are tired running and then you are more suscepable to injuries and all that. To swim hard I would need to spend more time getting my technique right and as I said at the moment I have got no more time.

But if it works for you go for it I say. image

• Morning all! Didn't get to swim last night - arrived at the pool to find it was ladies night! Whoops, haha. Went for a beer and a burger instead...

LSR this morning was 9 miles. Woke up at 9, had a slice of toast with butter and a cup of tea and headed straight out. This is the furthest I've run since September HM and I absolutely loved it. My LSR route takes me along South Bank, past London Eye, over Waterloo Bridge, along Embankment (part of VLM course at this point), past Big Ben and down towards Chelsea before crossing south again and running back home via Battersea Park. Such an inspiring route and it reminded me why I love this sport. I averaged 9:30 pace exactly and felt fine the entire way. Definitely conversational pace and I felt like I had enough in the engine to do it again. Positive signs! My shin splits didn't hurt at all - I've done my stretches and foam rolling and am icing it at the moment.

My next run is hill session on Tuesday. Might do some core work and/or cross-training on Monday. Got a friend's birthday bash tonight so will probably be hungover tomorrow.
  • CW - that's fantastic news well done image